Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Cobray
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I had a few people over tonight. Pinball to non-pinball people all playing. A non-pinball girl and total noob was wacking both flipper at TAF, and MB when I told her a few of the basics. Then she went to MM and got all excited when the drawbridge dropped and then the gate opened. When she destroyed her first castle she was hooked.

When I told her about reading the card to learn what best things to try for, and other people listened. A guy playing AFM thought it was a fun and funny pin to play, but did not know what he should be trying for goal wise. AFM was simple enough to understand what to go for but hard enough so it would not be easy.

These game did great on route for a reason. people wanted to put quarters in them. I am lucky enough to be into pinball long enough to get a great collection. It is so nice to see people getting excited the way I use to and confirm the games I like really are fun and not just because "everybody else says so".

#2 11 years ago

Theme, humor, and Lyman. That's why.

#3 11 years ago

Yea. I second Lyman. Tazman, you do have a great collection. In surprised there's no spiderman in there. I think that's Lyman's best work by far. Easily all the flow of afm and more.

#4 11 years ago

MM - big cool obvious interactive toy with multiple shots/reactions/animation.

AFM - I dunno lol

#5 11 years ago

MM - isn't this also the only pin where they hired second city actors for voices? There are so many reasons why this pin is sought after

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

MM - isn't this also the only pin where they hired second city actors for voices? There are so many reasons why this pin is sought after

Oh yeah, Tina Fey's in it.

I really liked B/W's in house actors on MB, NGG, AFM, RFM, etc. Good voices, lots of personality.

#7 11 years ago

It's x-factor. Some games nailed it just right.

Indeed unexplainable for AFM, as that playfield is literally nothing. Some centre device and two ramps. Yoohoo. But maybe the simplicity is the appeal.

However. The software, DMD and sound package are all awesome.

#8 11 years ago

With MM and new pinball players, its just basic sight/sound psychology. It's as simple as this:

Whatever you shoot, you get a dmd animation and a funny soundbite, usually different every time.
Even if you arent aiming, "something" happens with almost every shot you make, whether intentional or not.

You don't have to know, or even look into, any rules.
Hit the ball, it goes into one of about 7 routes, there is an effect.

If you do something multiple times, something special happens.

ANYONE can pick that up in seconds, even if they've never played pinball in their life.

Everything else (Trolls, Castle breaking) is just a bonus for the eyes/ears of a new player.

#9 11 years ago

They are both really fun games.

#10 11 years ago

My wifes friend came over about a year ago and she still talks about "the game with the aliens". It was her absolute favorite and still talks about it today.. she still asks my wife about coming over to play it! And she really has no interest in pinball whatsoever, but that title definitely stuck with her.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-titles-like-mm-and-afm-get-the-recognition-they-get- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.