• Not bad. 7 votes
    18%
  • If it was cheap enough I would take one. 20 votes
    50%
  • Good for scavenging parts, but nothing else. 10 votes
    25%

(40 votes)

#1 5 years ago

I have a Rescue 911 pinball. My wife and I love it. Just wondering why all the hate for it?
As a beginner game it is great. Easy to understand Rules. DMD. Multiball. Cool Helicopter. Doesn't cost $1,000,000...

So why do most people on here not like it? just wondering... and probably opening a can of worms...

#2 5 years ago

The layout hurts it before you get to anything else.

#3 5 years ago

The helicopter is a pain to get working properly.

Plus, a lot of people simply don't like Gottlieb DMD games since they feel different than WPC games.

#4 5 years ago

It plays like shit and the helicopter is usually broken, but even if it isn’t you get to stand there for a minute while it slowly flies across the Playfield. It’s turrible.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It plays like shit and the helicopter is usually broken, but even if it isn’t you get to stand there for a minute while it slowly flies across the Playfield. It’s turrible.

Fact.

Also...and this is absolutely unforgivable...NO SHATNER.

The important thing is to not care. You and your wife can enjoy this game all you want, the fact that most people think it's awful should not interfere with your joy. Play your 911 and have fun!

#6 5 years ago

As long as you like it, who cares? I personally don't...but I like a lot of other stinkers out there. I am not an art snob, but this one bugs me. And I do not like how the helicopter kills the gameplay for so long. I found myself avoiding hitting the helo shot after the second time.

#7 5 years ago

I dont hate it but, I dont think I have ever played one with a working helicopter.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I dont hate it but, I dont think I have ever played one with a working helicopter.

The R911 I've been bringing to shows works reliably

#9 5 years ago

Never played one, so I can’t vote. The only thing that matters is that you and your wife like it. Don’t worry about what others say, play the games you love! Have fun

#10 5 years ago

I love Hard Body. Such a great game in my view. Most people hate it, I don't care.

I liked Rescue 911 the few times I played it. It was entertaining. I can imagine owning one would be difficult to maintain.

#11 5 years ago

Helicopter takes forever and doesn't do anything. Not many other shots. Unbalanced scoring

#12 5 years ago

I played a few games on one not too long ago and it was entertaining. Also, enjoyed some games on Space Jam....guilty!

#14 5 years ago

Never seen one but generally don't like Gottlieb games. Cool if you like games like that.

#15 5 years ago

I have had mine for 15+ years... no issues with the helipcopter after I originally fixed it... The not Shatner part I get... but I heard he would not license his voice for the pin...

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The layout hurts it before you get to anything else.

What on the layout bothers you? just wondering... I find pins like wine... some people like different things and some people are connoisseurs and go very in depth...

My wife and I like cheap wine... maybe we like cheap pins too... Rescue 911 is one of my favorites I have owned... could be that is it is my only DMD also...

#17 5 years ago

I enjoy the game. Had 3 or 4 in the past. Fun game, and as ForceFlow mentioned , that helicoptor can be a pain to get working. Simple open layout.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

What on the layout bothers you? just wondering

So much of the bottom is is taken up by the left chopper shot... And i don't find the upper part very interesting.

#19 5 years ago

I owned one for a bit just to play it a while and I enjoyed the timed modes and trying complete them. The helicopter is much more fun to use if you enable a setting - I think it was a setting where you have to time the copter picking up the ball instead of it automatically picking it up. That setting made the helicopter more interactive and challenging as well.

#20 5 years ago

I had to Google why people were commenting about William Shatner missing from the game.

Today I learned this game was based on a TV show that I never heard of. Does Shatner fly the copter in the show?

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I had to Google why people were commenting about William Shatner missing from the game.
Today I learned this game was based on a TV show that I never heard of. Does Shatner fly the copter in the show?

Shatner did the intro to the story (normally standing in front of an ambulance or fire trucl or something)

I really want to get a Rescue 911 mainly because I love the series. I have watch most of the episodes to death. I know the game doesn't have much flow but hoping I can find one for cheap in the future just because of theme alone.

#22 5 years ago

I enjoyed mine for the short time I owned it. Family liked it too. Helicopter worked fine after I went through it and got it working. Needed a new wire harness though, which I was very fortunate to find a used assembly. John

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

What on the layout bothers you?

For me, the whole thing feels claustrophobic and clunky. The huge shot through the pops feels like it should sweep around, but instead the ball just clunks against a target and bounces out again. Same goes for the captive ball shot right in the middle, and mode start/helicopter pickup shot. Nothing really feels satisfying to me.

#24 5 years ago

Think of the Unsolved Mysteries show in the late 80's, but instead of reenacted crime, its reenacted emergency rescues. And instead of Robert Stack, its William Shatner. Pretty much the same idea.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The R911 I've been bringing to shows works reliably

Thats because you are like me and keep your games in working order.

3 weeks later
#26 5 years ago

Since I am trading my R911 today thought I would add. To me it is very shallow. Way too easy to get into multiball, as that left shot is almost impossible to miss. Modes seem shallow too. Progress through each mode and then.....they just go dark and you start through them again. Even my Cyclone feels like it has more to do in it. Trading R911 in 100% working order for a High Speed with a locked coil and happy to do so.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-the-rescue-911-hate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.