Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by lowepg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 11 years ago

while the pinball community is certainly esoteric, nothing you note makes it so... it is "esoteric" in that it's a rare interest practiced by few...

some of the things you point out are true of other hobbies as well... a/v for example...

however, "pinball as the mother of invention, spilling over into other industries" is, ummm, a reach...

#7 11 years ago

^^^

yup... i've only been a member here for a short period of time, but before joining, i read zillions of posts, both here and at rgp... i saw that there was enough helpful people who had been part of the pin hobby for a long time...

and that's ignoring the very useful and free guides provided by clay, pinwiki, and so on...

#9 11 years ago

^^^

while true, not unique to this hobby... people have been fabricating unobtainium parts in many other hobbies for many years (automobiles come immediately to mind, amoungst others)...

not trying to shoot down your enthusiasm... just bringing you back to reality a bit... this is a hobby that considers a lcd screen to be a huge innovation...

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from tpellowe:

This is spot on. Prime examples are Cliffys, LeDs, PinCab protectors, Color DMDs, chromed everything by Mike Chestnut, footies, HEP, Glare Guards, pin footies, colored post sleeves, etc.
    In terms of helpfulness, NO industry has an expert like Lloyd Olson that doles out his quantity and quality of professional advice FOR FREE. FREE. The guy is incredible. Selfless, great guy.

yes, lloyd is very useful... don't kid yourself into thinking he is unique though... "gurus" exist in every community...

all the other stuff you mentioned has corollaries in other hobbies as well... i mentioned a/v earlier... you'd be astonished (or maybe you wouldn't) at all the useful stuff that has been produced...

i like the pin hobby, don't get me wrong... but it's not unique... another way that it isn't unique is that the hobbyists themselves THINK "their" community is unique...

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Very true. And Pinside has many great people here that step up and help when it is needed.
    Why I am proud to be a tiny fraction of a great forum.
    LTG : )

lloyd, give yourself more credit.... you are a pretty large fraction of this forum... not only do you have a solution for even the most obscure of problems*, you are honest and give "us" a proper perspective on what it is like to try to make a living getting people to put money into machines...

* and having been a "mini-guru" on another forum that focuses on a different hobby, i KNOW how trying it can be to explain something over and over to someone who just isn't getting it...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-the-pinball-hobby-is-esoteric?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.