(Topic ID: 320608)

Why the hell is JJP Pirates of the Caribbean so valuable?

By Wiggles

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11EF09CA-914A-40D4-B8F2-6EAA4C28D896 (resized).jpeg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

I may be crazy but I own a CE and its a great game. The bottle topper is awesome and I like the cabinet and trim better as well. I even bought a NOS CE playfield that was cleared by Kruzman, so I can play it and not worry about damage.

For the price not sure they are worth it (esp the CE), but they sure are pretty to look at and they aren't making any more!

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Question is, with Toy Story flopping at the new price point... will JJP retreat in pricing, or maybe... go back to the well and try to sell POTC at this new higher price point that may make the margins worth it.

I was thinking about this as well, I'll bet TS4 is one of the lowest selling from JJP and they tend to take a year between new games, maybe they'll fill in the empty factory time with GNR or maybe they will make PotC and they can literally charge $12.5K or more and sell a good number of them.

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm assuming JJP didn't lower the price after they cut advertised features that people put down payments on? If so, then the blowback was justified.

Sure if you felt you were individually bait and switched.. but going forward buyers knew the deal. The real problem was the uncertainty of it all.. JJP had a history of late game delivery.. and POTC was showing even more of that. Then, late news of major toy changes? This is just gas on the flames for those with doubt about the title and JJP. What would they do next?

High Prices
Delays
Bad News about reduction in product
Slow sales
Expensive build
'next big thing..' waiting in the wings

It's all a formula for POTC being tossed out like moldy bread.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I was thinking about this as well, I'll bet TS4 is one of the lowest selling from JJP and they tend to take a year between new games, maybe they'll fill in the empty factory time with GNR or maybe they will make PotC and they can literally charge $12.5K or more and sell a good number of them.

Well they also were trying to switch to more frequent releases.. so you'd hope something else was not too far behind TS4.. but a run of 500 POTCs at 15k a pop.. I'm sure they'd be a one day sellout.

#55 1 year ago

We love the theme, the layout and mechanicals. The multiple character selection changes rules to allow for plenty of different strategies. It’s great for a small collection, but personally I still play WOZ more.

Is it overpriced? That depends on your perspective. For us Pirates is the most played pin in our collection and the first pin friends gravitate to play during parties.

Based on that, no I don’t think mine is overpriced.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

JJP shows off game early...
It's loaded... but expensive and complicated
Market reaction is one of hesitation due to high cost and JJP-general complexity/overload kind of look/feel. The game just didn't get people running in droves to buy it.
Spinner gate happens and JJP changes final product. Backlash from changes further hinders demand for the game.
So now you have crazy price plus negative response in the community --> Delayed Sales
POTC sells soft... JJP has new leadership and is pushing billionaire son as the new lead in the business... Lawlor's killer license Wonka is on-deck and generating buzz.
So what happens? JJP pulls the plug on the expensive, probably lower margin POTC in favor of rushing out an overpriced stripped down WOZ and focusing on the next title. The assumption is it's a top-down decision because both Jack and Eric look like someone killed their dog at TPF when they broke the news.
Now POTC is dead-man walking.. and those who were hesitating now scramble to get what is now the 'you can no longer have' POTC title. Price escalation sets in.
With enough time and games in the field.. POTC finds its home in the community in terms of accepting what it is and it's still a loaded, beautiful game... so the price escalation continues.
Even after Wonka fizzles... JJP won't revisit POTC.. Why? Probably due to the margins and high complexity of the game. Think again... what's in the pipeline.. GNR... again JJP doubles down on the NEXT thing and won't look back at their prior title that was too expensive.
In hindsight we have a title JJP leadership pressed the abort button so they could instead focus on Wonka. A decision that probably was good for short term capital spending, but Wonka wasn't the killer-title they hoped it would be.
Question is, with Toy Story flopping at the new price point... will JJP retreat in pricing, or maybe... go back to the well and try to sell POTC at this new higher price point that may make the margins worth it.

Lets not forget people were not exactly thrilled with the theme either. It may not be ts4 levels of theme disappointment but it was close. Everyone was scratching their heads. I think a fourth (?) movie in the series had come out maybe a year prior but nobody cared. POTC was an out of date theme in almost everyone's eyes. In fact, before the game was revealed everyone was naysaying it pretty hard. Then it got revealed and (no pun intended) the tides turned a bit after everyone saw how packed it was. Then yeah spinner gate and what not kinda cooled off some of the hype it had built back up for itself, then the wait was sooooo long before it actually released, people had moved on to other games by that time.

I got the chance to put quite a few games on the proto version with the triple discs. It was fine. I don't miss them at all though on the final release. I believe theres a mod for the treasure chest so thats not too big of a deal either.

#57 1 year ago

POTC is one of my daughters favorite franchises, even she thinks the game sucks. Maybe with the original toys it would have been good but its a floaty clunk fest IMO. STERN POTC> JJP POTC and I have played both quite a bit.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

POTC is one of my daughters favorite franchises, even she thinks the game sucks. Maybe with the original toys it would have been good but its a floaty clunk fest IMO. STERN POTC> JJP POTC and I have played both quite a bit.

LOL. That game is nowhere near clunky. LOL.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Lets not forget people were not exactly thrilled with the theme either. It may not be ts4 levels of theme disappointment but it was close. Everyone was scratching their heads. I think a fourth (?) movie in the series had come out maybe a year prior but nobody cared. POTC was an out of date theme in almost everyone's eyes. In fact, before the game was revealed everyone was naysaying it pretty hard.

I think that's overstating it... there of course is the whole 'where is Johnny' angle and the gripes about what assets they used or not (I love that my Stern POTC has Depp lines and the ride's song) but I don't recall people poo'ing on the whole thing. The darkest cloud was price+delays.... which is kinda like the JJP calling card

#60 1 year ago

Pirates is an unusual game, complex and beautiful, like a modern TZ, but for some reason not as fun to play. The use of multiball itself seems like the main mode, but it can be fun stacking other modes while in it. I'm always attracted back to Pirates, maybe for the mechanical complexity or beauty, or for David Thiel's music, or the cool CE topper, but...I'd rather play other games. Some friends love it, some hate it. Seems like all the JJP games are a bit polarizing.

#61 1 year ago

Lots of interest when it was revealed, even with sticker shock, then long delays before production, during which the three discs were removed and made One, and the trunk lid change. Lots of talk of no depp, limited assets, meanwhile, other new games come out, so deposit money moves, negativity snowballs, production cut short. Pinball market explodes, game now rare in relative terms, price jumps.

Played one on location a week or two ago. It is a fun game, like most pins, has some things I like, some I don’t. I’m sure when you understand the rules and strategy, and get a better feel for the hidden shots, it is even more fun.

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

LOL. That game is nowhere near clunky. LOL.

POTC has one of my favorite, smoothest - most satisfying (and variable) shots in pinball: drilling a ball into the open chest with a hard slapshot from the right flipper -OR- finessing it into the chest (past the upper Bayou flipper with just enough power) with a backhand from the left flipper.

The chest lid then closing in acknowledgement afterwards is tasty icing on the cake!

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

there of course is the whole 'where is Johnny' angle

That would be the biggest reason for me getting one eventually. I never watched those movies as I'm not really a fan of his movies where he overacts, and these movies seemed to play right into his already overinflated ego. Good to know he's not really in the game at all! Give me more Bill Nighy any day!

#64 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I think that's overstating it... there of course is the whole 'where is Johnny' angle and the gripes about what assets they used or not (I love that my Stern POTC has Depp lines and the ride's song) but I don't recall people poo'ing on the whole thing. The darkest cloud was price+delays.... which is kinda like the JJP calling card

It wasn't even that, I'm talking about in the days before it was revealed. We didn't even know what it looked like yet, we just knew the next game was Pirates. People where out on the game just on that knowledge alone. Then the reveal, yeah there was some disappointment, because no Johnny, it actually IS pirates, ect. But then we saw how much was in it and things looked up a bit, and then the delays and removal of mechs, like you said, just killed any momentum it had.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Wanted
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-the-hell-is-jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-so-valuable/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.