Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 240 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by swanng
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5A89C831-07B2-40F2-893C-017C1B948EDD (resized).jpeg
    fuckingkillme (resized).jpeg
    834385E7-1ED2-4A99-B293-CFA2821F3529 (resized).jpeg
    09724ABC-39E0-48C7-937E-3343CC010D2C (resized).jpeg
    8FD48A1A-4209-4BC8-9FB7-B60F7FF2FB40 (resized).jpeg
    0A08D52B-FC76-4FB0-AA5B-D07CFD7650BC (resized).jpeg
    981B45AF-EA88-40B4-9A95-74771F01FB53 (resized).png
    goml (resized).JPG
    IMG_20210309_082440176 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210309-125601_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg
    blood.gif
    IMG_20210309_231539 (resized).jpg
    FF1C1E00-87BA-466F-9327-AAC8F6F3B84D (resized).jpeg
    652E747A-73D6-4176-B1A8-1FA3C7720CBF (resized).jpeg
    7E21181B-0EEC-4AE6-8247-7C504E66464E (resized).jpeg
    HZYC.gif
    There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

how bad do these shows smell ?

You just have to avoid the "Cropusters".

#202 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Hold the phone ....how bad do these shows smell ?

I discovered pinball in 2004 and like most newbies quickly became addicted. Trying to convince my wife how cool the hobby was we went to our first Expo in 2005. It had the exact opposite effect. Lots of body odor and creepy stares there. I don't think many ladies were into pinball back then and that experience didn't exactly get her excited about it either.

#203 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Hold the phone ....how bad do these shows smell ?

Not bad. Unless you've been carpet bombed. ( crop dusted )

That can clear out a row or room.

LTG : )

#204 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I'm still trying to figure you out toymaker. This was your very first (and of this moment ONLY) post on Pinside. Which makes it sound like you have never interacted with any of us. You joined March 3rd, and posted this 5 days later. You have had no interaction with anyone here since then, unless it was through PM. Yet you are asking "why the hate for newbies"? That is just really an poor way to introduce yourself to an online forum. When I am a newbie at something, I try to get to know things a bit first. When I ask dumb questions, I point out that I realize I just don't know yet. But your introduction was to preach to us on how we act? If I ever need a bad example of how to introduce yourself, I will point people to this thread.

I would have to agree, probably not a great way to jump into the community. Like any hobby, there is a small majority of people who like to think they are elite, and look down on Noobs. The vast majority in Pinside are not that way. Dont let a loud few, distract from the good and many.

When i first joined Pinside 8+ years ago, I got tremendous help from a few individuals. I had bought a non working EM, and had tons of questions. They were with me throughout the process, and with their guidance I got the machine working. Pinside was tremendous help for this old Noob.

I stepped away from Pinball and Pinside for about 2 years, but am back again. I dont like some of what i see, but there is still more good here then bad. And as long as people like Loyd and Vid are still here, then this is still the place to be. For what it's worth.

#205 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

creepy stares

Couldn't be helped. You are cute and have a great figure.

#206 3 years ago

I just wish some people had a better sense of humor around here. This is supposed to be a fun place. If a joke isn't for you, move on and don't cause an unnecessary stink about it.

#207 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I just wish some people had a better sense of humor around here. This is supposed to be a fun place. If a joke isn't for you, move on and don't cause an unnecessary stink about it.

People like the smell of their own farts

See: South Park Smug Alert

#208 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I discovered pinball in 2004 and like most newbies quickly became addicted. Trying to convince my wife how cool the hobby was we went to our first Expo in 2005. It had the exact opposite effect. Lots of body odor and creepy stares there. I don't think many ladies were into pinball back then and that experience didn't exactly get her excited about it either.

Any "guy" hobbies are full of mutants, stinkies and creeps. I joined a darts league and convinced my wife to come out and play on an open play night. She stayed for half the event. She just couldn't take the overweight, middle-aged men talking to her chest and calling her "lovie." We do rotating teams, so I was away from her for most of it.

Magic the Gathering has to be the funniest. Stinky comic shop mutants are the lowest of the low. Back when I played tournaments, there would be guys in sweat pants (like that guy that has that "museum" on here) that literally smelled like shit and onions. LOL. Then you have the little teenie bopper girls that would have to play them. It's a blast to watch a sewer rat attempt flirtation with a dove.

Pinball expos are pretty tame in comparison, although my wife has complained about mainsplaining of rules and innapropriate comments.

#209 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Hold the phone ....how bad do these shows smell ? I’ve been looking forward to these opening this year until now

Expo can be bad. People drop their ass all the time.

#210 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

...middle-aged men talking to her chest and calling her "lovie." We do rotating...

Go on....

#211 3 years ago

Wait a second.......
    Are you guys saying a room full of old pinball machines is not supposed to smell like farts?

#212 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Any "guy" hobbies are full of mutants, stinkies and creeps. I joined a darts league and convinced my wife to come out and play on an open play night. She stayed for half the event. She just couldn't take the overweight, middle-aged men talking to her chest and calling her "lovie." We do rotating teams, so I was away from her for most of it.
    Magic the Gathering has to be the funniest. Stinky comic shop mutants are the lowest of the low. Back when I played tournaments, there would be guys in sweat pants (like that guy that has that "museum" on here) that literally smelled like shit and onions. LOL. Then you have the little teenie bopper girls that would have to play them. It's a blast to watch a sewer rat attempt flirtation with a dove.
    Pinball expos are pretty tame in comparison, although my wife has complained about mainsplaining of rules and innapropriate comments.

Excellent promoter here.

Gotta take my hat off to know that you experienced these hobbies/events/nightmares and still got/stayed married!!!!

Forgot to mention all the manspreading for any sitting patrons and the guys that clearly considering showering a weekly occurance.

Im more a car-meet guy, if hardly that anymore and that scene really cleaned itself up in the last 25yrs. I thank fast and furious for that one.

Now i see why pinside hated on Kaneda so much.

#213 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

They smell different. Some are even perfumey.
    They don't have that lingering odor from a pinball show full of people who haven't slept, shaved, or showered for days. They don't smell like they've been in an electrical fire, yet. They don't smell of cleaning products or wax. No sweat from dragging machines up stairs by themselves.
    They'll be accepted into the herd once they acquire the right scents. They won't seem so out of place.

For some reason when I read this post it was like Richard Attenborough was narrating.

#214 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Any "guy" hobbies are full of mutants, stinkies and creeps.

Well to be fair this was 16 years ago. I think pinball is has a lot more female followers now. It felt a lot less like my first experience in the later events I have attended.

And since then my wife has grown to appreciate them as nostalgic pieces of functional art. She has very little interest in playing them.

#215 3 years ago

Newbies think that having the movie scenes added to the Jurassic Park pin make the game complete and think Stern should've had those repetitive, grainy, 1993 VHS scenes on the LCD.

#216 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Hold the phone ....how bad do these shows smell ? I’ve been looking forward to these opening this year until now

First one usually smells the most, but will also be your most memorable. Thereafter the smell goes away because either you have acclimated or are a contributor...not that I'd know anything about that

#217 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Let me put it this way: I work in an emergency mental health facility which treats a large number of severely mentally ill homeless individuals (32 beds, which are usually 85-100% full) and occasionally do consults at a county jail, and I can state with authority that the olfactory delights in these settings are pretty consistent with what you'll encounter around day 2 of any big expo!

Expect abundant B.O./male pheromones/sweat, plenty of flatulence (enhanced by the quantity of beer and junk food being consumed), an occasional whiff of that nonspecific urine/haven't bathed in a week/nursing home odor, and possibly even a bit of a poopy-pants aroma from time to time!

BUT you should not stop looking forward to these events, because the amount of fun definitely outweighs the air pollution!

That being said, the last few shows I attended were a lot better in this regard than they were 10-15 years ago; there is lots more female and family participation these days, which seems to have had at least somewhat of a "civilizing" effect on some of the worst of it, though there are still plenty of oblivious middle-aged guys with questionable social skills to keep things interesting!

#218 3 years ago

217 posts and going strong. No wonder I can't any work done. LOL, this is great.

#219 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dan1733:

217 posts and going strong. No wonder I can't any work done. LOL, this is great.

It's a guilty pleasure for me too, LOL!

#220 3 years ago

We was all took by the phony troll OP on this one!!!

Can we get some real, actual noobs up in here with horror stories about how terribly they've been treated by all the hardened vets around here?

#221 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Can we get some real, actual noobs up in here with horror stories about how terribly they've been treated by all the hardened vets around here?

One of my first posts on Pinside was me telling the story of how I found a Transformers on the boardwalk to play; I played it and thought it was a "dog". It was a recent new game at the time.

Holy shit, the idiots around here got their pitchforks out as if I said they all have ugly children.

Still a buncha thin-skinned guys around here who can dish it out when complaining, but raise hell if you don't enjoy a game they own. All these years later, turns out I was right that Transformers sucks.

#222 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

One of my first posts on Pinside was me telling the story of how I found a Transformers on the boardwalk to play; I played it and thought it was a "dog". It was a recent new game at the time.
    Holy shit, the idiots around here got their pitchforks out as if I said they all have ugly children.
    Still a buncha thin-skinned guys around here who can dish it out when complaining, but raise hell if you don't enjoy a game they own. All these years later, turns out I was right that Transformers sucks.

Big hurt sucks lol (emoji didn't make it)

#223 3 years ago
    Quoted from dc2010:

Big hurt sucks lol (emoji didn't make it)

FuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuH Q!

#224 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Let me put it this way: I work in an emergency mental health facility which treats a large number of severely mentally ill homeless individuals (32 beds, which are usually 85-100% full) and occasionally do consults at a county jail, and I can state with authority that the olfactory delights in these settings are pretty consistent with what you'll encounter around day 2 of any big expo!
    Expect abundant B.O./male pheromones/sweat, plenty of flatulence (enhanced by the quantity of beer and junk food being consumed), an occasional whiff of that nonspecific urine/haven't bathed in a week/nursing home odor, and possibly even a bit of a poopy-pants aroma from time to time!
    BUT you should not stop looking forward to these events, because the amount of fun definitely outweighs the air pollution!
    That being said, the last few shows I attended were a lot better in this regard than they were 10-15 years ago; there is lots more female and family participation these days, which seems to have had at least somewhat of a "civilizing" effect on some of the worst of it, though there are still plenty of oblivious middle-aged guys with questionable social skills to keep things interesting!

Lmfao !! Wouldn’t miss it for anything .I’m really looking forward to it more than anything I can remember of late.

#225 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I made the fatal error of declaring Transformers sucked as a newb. 99% of my downvotes came from that single post...

#226 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I pretty much just keep my mouth shut, so.......

#227 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Newbies think that having the movie scenes added to the Jurassic Park pin make the game complete and think Stern should've had those repetitive, grainy, 1993 VHS scenes on the LCD.

Proud “newbie” here then. Having a pin based on a movie with no movie scenes or voice talent is moronic- full stop. Oh, Nedry says a few things.. I’ll assume you’ve tried the “mod”? Props to the guys that put in the work making that great mod.

#228 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

When I was a noob, I was lucky enough to have been directed to someone that was just making a living off of pins, but wasn’t ripping people off. I bought my first 3 machines from him over the first few months. He didn’t rip me off, and he took the time to teach me how machines worked. He was the person that showed me how to take the glass out of a game. He introduced me to other pinheads in the community, who then introduced me to the larger community in the area.

Have I met assholes along the way? Yup. Have I had people try to rip me off? Of course. However, I’ve met some of my closest friends through pinball. Really good people who I love to hang out with and call friends. Relationships that go way beyond this crazy hobby we share.

Oh sorry. You were asking for noob horror stories, and here I go giving you the fairy tale of how wonderful this hobby and the people in it have been to me. My only real horror story in this hobby was that I owned a Judge Dredd for two weeks...

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Any "guy" hobbies are full of mutants, stinkies.

Speaking of which, we have a local show that's half pins and half vids and the vid guys are worse. Much heavier presence of awkward and smelly cave dwellers on their side. Almost enough to make the pinball guys look cool.

#230 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I was trying to subtly elude to this... surprised it took this long for it to be called out.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-the-hate-for-newbies/page/4#post-6177206

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I was trying to subtly elude to this... surprised it took this long for it to be called out.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-the-hate-for-newbies/page/4#post-6177206

No doubt. They are laughing at all of the boomers who took the bait.

#232 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

No doubt. They are laughing at all of the boomers who took the bait.

As a Gen-xer. I guess I must have been living in a cave, I never saw the hate. I saw debate but not hate.

#233 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

My only real horror story in this hobby was that I owned a Judge Dredd for two weeks...

Come on now!

Was the horror part that you had to get rid of it?!? That's the funny thing about pinball, there are so many individual tastes. I love me some Judge Dredd!

#234 3 years ago

One mans Camaro is another mans Vega. Same with pinball machines. Buy what you like and ignore the haters. Prices are going up because the hobby is growing. I want a White Water but I refuse to pay 7 grand for it. Oh well. With that said I’m a Mopar guy and own a 1968 Dodge Coronet RT. If you want to buy it it will cost way more than 20 grand!

#235 3 years ago

I’ve owned pins for many years. But was a total novice. When I got back into it about 10 years ago I wanted an RFM. I was on my own and didn’t have other pinball friends to point me in the right direction. Little did I know, but RGSs pop up all the time. But I was in a hurry and put out a want to buy ad. A Pinsider responded and we ended up cutting a deal. In retrospect, I think I was taken advantage of and ripped off. My own fault because I didn’t do my due diligence. Live and learn.
    My suggestion is to wet your feet and don’t jump in whole hearted right at the beginning.

#236 3 years ago

People are like pretzels.
    Some are salty.
    Some are straight.
    Some are twisted.
    They also may be filled with dough.
    Some get stale.

#237 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Speaking of which, we have a local show that's half pins and half vids and the vid guys are worse. Much heavier presence of awkward and smelly cave dwellers on their side. Almost enough to make the pinball guys look cool.

That show is always the smelliest show ever. It draws a huge crowd that grows every year and the room(s) never gets any bigger.

#238 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

the vid guys are worse. Much heavier presence of awkward and smelly cave dwellers on their side. Almost enough to make the pinball guys look cool.

5A89C831-07B2-40F2-893C-017C1B948EDD (resized).jpeg5A89C831-07B2-40F2-893C-017C1B948EDD (resized).jpeg
    #239 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I didn't read your post as it looked long and boring but I read the subject line:
    1. The poorer / more frugal types like to announce themselves with "I am brand new to this hobby and and the only games I'm interested in owning is a mint condition MB, MM, or TZ, or a brand new GNR. WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE? Is this a hobby for rich people?" which disrespects not only the hundreds of pinball machines that aren’t the 4 they want, but also the overwhelming percentage of hobbyists here who are not rich.
    2. They post the same dumb threads over and over, seriously thinking they are the only geniuses to ever wonder which games are overrated or underrated or what theme we'd like to see or why the Pinside 100 isn't to their liking, or to ponder whether or not we are in a bubble and, in fact, if it will burst.
    3. They crowd up an already crowded hobby driving up prices and further sucking up all the games.
    4. I'm now middle aged and I hate everybody.
    5. They type way too goddamn much and think we seriously want to read their 2,000 word essays that boil down to "pinball machines are expensive" or "why won't someone sell me a MM cheap?" We really don't care about the minute details of your life or the complex intellectual process behind your conclusion that "games shouldn't dimple" or "you see, pinball is kinda like cars..."
    6. THey tend to be the worst fanboys. You rarely see a 15 year vet camping out in a Stern thread whining about how much better a JJP game is or vice versa as if their life depends on convincing the rest of the world of it. It's always people who have been around 3 years and think we give a shit about their unfettered todyism and banal cheerleading.
    7. It'll come to me and I'll add it in here. Edit - yeah, the fucking cargument. Why are human beings universally unable to compare anything to anything else that isn't a car? It begs the question, did analogies even exist before the invention of the car? Or were people dumbfounded, saying things like “butter churns are like...um...uhh...gosh nabbit!!!! Someone better invent some kind of horseless carriage so I can complete this sentence!!”
    8. They like to rage vent with some 2,000 word post about an ebay or craigslist deal gone sour, as if it hasnt happened to all of us a dozen times, or as if any of us give a shit about the boring details or as if the 65-year old woman who wronged them will actually come here to read it.
    9. Like most people, they almost always think they are funny, and like most people, they aren't.
    10. Constant demands for code updates and an almost universal lack of understanding of how business works, exemplified by demands that "Stern should cut their prices $1,000!" or "Why can't pinball machines cost less, but have way more stuff in them, also they should be way more complicated, but also be way more reliable!" You know, insane shit like that which is either impossible or would put any pinball company under in about a month.

Too long didn’t read. But here’s my opinion on what was written.

3 months later
    #240 2 years ago

"Hate" is probably the wrong word to use. For most old-timers in the hobby, the appropriate word most likely would be "contempt".
    For a plethora of reasons.

There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-the-hate-for-newbies/page/5?hl=pinball2020 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.