Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 240 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by swanng
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5A89C831-07B2-40F2-893C-017C1B948EDD (resized).jpeg
    fuckingkillme (resized).jpeg
    834385E7-1ED2-4A99-B293-CFA2821F3529 (resized).jpeg
    09724ABC-39E0-48C7-937E-3343CC010D2C (resized).jpeg
    8FD48A1A-4209-4BC8-9FB7-B60F7FF2FB40 (resized).jpeg
    0A08D52B-FC76-4FB0-AA5B-D07CFD7650BC (resized).jpeg
    981B45AF-EA88-40B4-9A95-74771F01FB53 (resized).png
    goml (resized).JPG
    IMG_20210309_082440176 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210309-125601_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg
    blood.gif
    IMG_20210309_231539 (resized).jpg
    FF1C1E00-87BA-466F-9327-AAC8F6F3B84D (resized).jpeg
    652E747A-73D6-4176-B1A8-1FA3C7720CBF (resized).jpeg
    7E21181B-0EEC-4AE6-8247-7C504E66464E (resized).jpeg
    HZYC.gif
    There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Trick question. Non noobs don't overpay!

But what if I want it?

#152 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Trick question. Non noobs don't overpay!

I’m impatient, but mostly a noob.

#153 3 years ago

Check out all these jerks, chased this newb right out of Dodge!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/newbie-5#post-6100911

#154 3 years ago

OP makes the post and vanishes. But over 150 responses. Who is everyone talking to???

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

OP makes the post and vanishes. But over 150 responses. Who is everyone talking to???

I told the noobs to run .Your fight is with me .Supa Noob (next stern pin)

#156 3 years ago

Hey Levi...I don't get it. Since when are you against complaining about no code updates?

#157 3 years ago
    Quoted from Briks-707:

I definitely fall into the noob classification, less than a year into the hobby. Like the OP I wanted my first machine to be a Stern KISS , specifically a NIB LE. I looked high and low but finally found one in a distributor’s private collection last August. I paid a hefty price but didn’t care as I got the pin I wanted in the condition I wanted,....then I proceeded down the same road with NIB Metallica, NIB ACDC, NIB Deadpool LE etc.
    Noobs with disposable income like myself are certainly driving up prices for everybody. We want what we want and are willing to pay the sellers price to get it, no matter how inflated. It’s similar to the real estate market out here in California. Availability is slim and competition is fierce, it’s not uncommon to have to overbid to get the house you want or the pin you want these days. I’m just glad I don’t have any desire for a JJP Pirates, haha!

You did WHAT? Holy smokes you paid up for NIB games that old??? Jesus Christ. Seeing your collection you must have a hell of a lot of disposable income to buy all that this year! I hope you framed all the boxes and packing materials for that much cash!

Quoted from SpyroFTW:

This thread is gold! I feel like Im in high school again! Can someone talk shit on me so its more nostalgic for me? I have no idea what this post was about FYI. Tldr

Shut up, nerd, time for your swirly!

Quoted from lpeters82:

I found the hobby a little intimidating. My best advise is to not use buying and selling as your way into the hobby. Start of by playing in tournaments at local barcades. That's where you're going to meet people that enjoy the hobby and just want to play some games. Buying and selling is where things can be the most toxic. That and when you put in color LEDs in your general illumination or backglass around Neo.
    PS: I did read above that barcades are only for "newbies" but I don't think that's the case at all. The lack of public play is has put a real damper on my intereste in the hobby. I can't wait until COVID is behind us so I can head back out there.

I think these threads are a good way to blow off steam. I, myself, can still be considered a “newbie”. So many guys have been in this hobby for AGES. Literally just met a guy last week who’s been in the hobby longer than I’ve been alive. He also doesn’t work on any of his own games. Never has, just enjoys being in it and has a local tech work on his stuff.

So even if you’ve been in the hobby 20 years there’s a guy who’s been in it for 40 and thinks your one of those hot shot new guys. There are guys on this site who remember when Fireball was NEW and solid state didn’t exist yet.

Long and the short of it:
    • respect and acknowledge the old timers.
    • 99.9% of the ideas you’ve got, have already been said before so be humble when asking... or just use the search function.

#158 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Stick with Facebook pinball groups instead of Pinside and you'll read a LOT less complaining and probably have more interesting conversations with real people versus guys using an Avatar/handle. The reality is, the FB groups are usually self-moderated and price policing, complaining in general, etc, is greatly reduced.

The Facebook groups are even worse, dude WTH? They ridicule every single post when a game is above 3k.

Brian just posted his mystery castle and a bunch of clueless jack-wagons went on saying it’s a “max 2k game” LMFAO please sell me your Alvin G’s for 2k then???

Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Lol. Thank you. The sad thing is that I would totally agree with your son on those games. The only good ones were on the OG playstation. At least this time I didnt my pants pulled down after being insulted.

I love your user. Spyro is great. Still have all my original games. Skylanders did him so dirty. What a bad batch of games. The Spyro remakes are awesome though!

#159 3 years ago

I didn’t read any of these posts. What is Newbies? Is that a machine?

#160 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

Just Saying, since there are teachers in here: https://www.npr.org/2017/04/04/522581148/hemingway-didnt-say-that-and-neither-did-twain-or-kafka
    On the origin of the quote "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt," which has been wrongly attributed to both to Abraham Lincoln and Mark Twain

Fine, fine, but was it Kierkegaard or Dick Van Patten who said, "If you label me, you negate me"?

#161 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

You did WHAT? Holy smokes you paid up for NIB games that old??? Jesus Christ. Seeing your collection you must have a hell of a lot of disposable income to buy all that this year! I hope you framed all the boxes and packing materials for that much cash!

Thankfully I know people with connections and was able to find all those older machines still NIB. I had to do my part to help some of these operators and distributors during tough covid times lol. I’m new to pinball but the old adage still rings true.....money talks and bullshit walks!

#162 3 years ago
    Quoted from oPinsesame:

I didn’t read any of these posts. What is Newbies? Is that a machine?

Like boobies but totally different.

You can still play with them but its not as fun.

#163 3 years ago

In answer to the original question. Because we can

#164 3 years ago

I graduated high school in '94.

Wait... am I in the right thread?

#165 3 years ago
    0A08D52B-FC76-4FB0-AA5B-D07CFD7650BC (resized).jpeg0A08D52B-FC76-4FB0-AA5B-D07CFD7650BC (resized).jpeg
    #166 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toymaker:

There's way too much decent stuff out there to clean up on at fair prices.

When was this written? It seriously sounds like he just pulled this out of a RGP time capsule and posted it. What a crappy first post. Maybe his second will show improvement.

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Stick with Facebook pinball groups instead of Pinside and you'll read a LOT less complaining and probably have more interesting conversations with real people versus guys using an Avatar/handle. The reality is, the FB groups are usually self-moderated and price policing, complaining in general, etc, is greatly reduced.

Facebook groups are the worst.

#168 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Maybe some are, but of course some aren't. The ones I'm part of are just fine from what I read and see. I don't care what platform anyone uses, I'm not making $$ of my suggestion.

#169 3 years ago
    Quoted from GTO:

I graduated high school in '94.
    Wait... am I in the right thread?

No pizza, grinder or NJ sightings.. yet.

#170 3 years ago
    Quoted from Briks-707:

Thankfully I know people with connections and was able to find all those older machines still NIB. I had to do my part to help some of these operators and distributors during tough covid times lol. I’m new to pinball but the old adage still rings true.....money talks and bullshit walks!

Lol well be happy you helped distributors have their best year in decades

#171 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I told the noobs to run .Your fight is with me .Supa Noob (next stern pin)

I cant help but read this in Bane mask voice

#172 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

In the world of pinball, pinside is unmatched. Every now and then I meet someone who says they are big into pinball.

“Do you go to pinside?”, I ask.

If they say “no” I often get perplexed.

What can I say, I’m biased... why go anywhere else in pinball?

When I was a pinball noob, pinside made itself my home. (And helped save my life)

Now I can never leave, like hotel California...

Also, I’m the guy in the pinside shirt.
    8FD48A1A-4209-4BC8-9FB7-B60F7FF2FB40 (resized).jpeg8FD48A1A-4209-4BC8-9FB7-B60F7FF2FB40 (resized).jpeg

#173 3 years ago

One more pinsider when I was nearly dead.

09724ABC-39E0-48C7-937E-3343CC010D2C (resized).jpeg09724ABC-39E0-48C7-937E-3343CC010D2C (resized).jpeg

#174 3 years ago

Now flash to four years later in this picture. Sorry to digress folks. I’ll be done for now. I was a noob too. Once.

834385E7-1ED2-4A99-B293-CFA2821F3529 (resized).jpeg834385E7-1ED2-4A99-B293-CFA2821F3529 (resized).jpeg

Don’t talk to strangers said dio.

#175 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toymaker:

Ok, so we just recently bought a house and as a result our first pin.

I'm still trying to figure you out @toymaker. This was your very first (and of this moment ONLY) post on Pinside. Which makes it sound like you have never interacted with any of us. You joined March 3rd, and posted this 5 days later. You have had no interaction with anyone here since then, unless it was through PM. Yet you are asking "why the hate for newbies"? That is just really an poor way to introduce yourself to an online forum. When I am a newbie at something, I try to get to know things a bit first. When I ask dumb questions, I point out that I realize I just don't know yet. But your introduction was to preach to us on how we act? If I ever need a bad example of how to introduce yourself, I will point people to this thread.

#176 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I didn't read your post as it looked long and boring but I read the subject line:
    1. The poorer / more frugal types like to announce themselves with "I am brand new to this hobby and and the only games I'm interested in owning is a mint condition MB, MM, or TZ, or a brand new GNR. WHY ARE THEY SO EXPENSIVE? Is this a hobby for rich people?" which disrespects not only the hundreds of pinball machines that aren’t the 4 they want, but also the overwhelming percentage of hobbyists here who are not rich.
    2. They post the same dumb threads over and over, seriously thinking they are the only geniuses to ever wonder which games are overrated or underrated or what theme we'd like to see or why the Pinside 100 isn't to their liking, or to ponder whether or not we are in a bubble and, in fact, if it will burst.
    3. They crowd up an already crowded hobby driving up prices and further sucking up all the games.
    4. I'm now middle aged and I hate everybody.
    5. They type way too goddamn much and think we seriously want to read their 2,000 word essays that boil down to "pinball machines are expensive" or "why won't someone sell me a MM cheap?" We really don't care about the minute details of your life or the complex intellectual process behind your conclusion that "games shouldn't dimple" or "you see, pinball is kinda like cars..."
    6. THey tend to be the worst fanboys. You rarely see a 15 year vet camping out in a Stern thread whining about how much better a JJP game is or vice versa as if their life depends on convincing the rest of the world of it. It's always people who have been around 3 years and think we give a shit about their unfettered todyism and banal cheerleading.
    7. It'll come to me and I'll add it in here. Edit - yeah, the fucking cargument. Why are human beings universally unable to compare anything to anything else that isn't a car? It begs the question, did analogies even exist before the invention of the car? Or were people dumbfounded, saying things like “butter churns are like...um...uhh...gosh nabbit!!!! Someone better invent some kind of horseless carriage so I can complete this sentence!!”
    8. They like to rage vent with some 2,000 word post about an ebay or craigslist deal gone sour, as if it hasnt happened to all of us a dozen times, or as if any of us give a shit about the boring details or as if the 65-year old woman who wronged them will actually come here to read it.
    9. Like most people, they almost always think they are funny, and like most people, they aren't.
    10. Constant demands for code updates and an almost universal lack of understanding of how business works, exemplified by demands that "Stern should cut their prices $1,000!" or "Why can't pinball machines cost less, but have way more stuff in them, also they should be way more complicated, but also be way more reliable!" You know, insane shit like that which is either impossible or would put any pinball company under in about a month.

This was an absolutely fantastic and sensible response, thank you.

#177 3 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

In the world of pinball, pinside is unmatched. Every now and then I meet someone who says they are big into pinball.
    “Do you go to pinside?”, I ask.
    If they say “no” I often get perplexed.
    What can I say, I’m biased... why go anywhere else in pinball?
    When I was a pinball noob, pinside made itself my home. (And helped save my life)
    Now I can never leave, like hotel California...
    Also, I’m the guy in the pinside shirt.
    [quoted image]

The handful of people I’ve personally bought from who’ve said “I don’t go on Pinside” or “I hate Pinside” have turned out to be shysters or scammers.
    One of them has a practical book written about their erratic, abusive behavior on RGP.

The kicker is that people on Pinside were TOO NICE to outright tell me about these people. They told me to use caution but “didn’t want condemn someone due to the Pinside hearsay”

Sure we all can find something we dislike or a bad experience, but overall Pinside is a tremendous asset and a positive place. Unless they’re extremely old school or a rando on CL/FB, when someone says “I don’t use Pinside” it’s a red flag for me.

#178 3 years ago

Because of posts like yours.

#179 3 years ago
    fuckingkillme (resized).jpegfuckingkillme (resized).jpeg
    #180 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

[quoted image]

The funniest part of this is the photo's title.
    Well played.

#181 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

cant help but read this in Bane mask voice

Ah you think the term n00b is your ally? I was born of it, MOLDED by it. You merely adopted it!

#182 3 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Ah you think the term n00b is your ally? I was born of it, MOLDED by it. You merely adopted it!

Real Bane over here folks!

#183 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Real Bane over here folks!

Someone tell TheLaw to un-ignore me so he can see where the bane reference is coming from

#184 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

[quoted image]

That’s uglier than a chunk of home made soap.

#185 3 years ago

Only thing that can make it somewhat tolerable would be a sweet Texas lot lizard and some hard drugs on the playfield glass.

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Sure we all can find something we dislike or a bad experience, but overall Pinside is a tremendous asset and a positive place.

An asset yes....but I would hate to see what you think a negative environment looks like.

#187 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

[quoted image]

Is that skittles retheme?

#188 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Is that skittles retheme?

That would be a great title.

#189 3 years ago

After CrazyLevi ’ s post I feel I need to set the bar and only read Pinside posts with +130 likes.

As for this topic? People need to start somewhere. Give them a chance, even if they come off poorly initially.

And yeah, I didn’t read the OP either because it was too long.

#190 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

[quoted image]

that pretty much sums it up. If you do NOT do this to your games, you are learning fast and will do well in this hobby.

#191 3 years ago

The picture of the "Eight Ball" pin is a for sale ad at the moment: For sale: Eight Ball Deluxe
    Needless to say, the seller is getting a little slammed

#192 3 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Lmfao

#193 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

[quoted image]

Man it looks good

#194 3 years ago

My profile is old but I'm a noob. Couldn't figure out how to log into the forums for 2 years, then I cleared my cache and it let me in.. I crept for 2 years on here lol.

#195 3 years ago

I'm another noob to this forum, but been trolling on here for years. Been into pins when EM's were still the thing at the bar while my dad drank and my brother and I played pinball and pool while he.... well. In short, I've always loved them and always will and thanks to those who have kept it alive all these years.

#196 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fozjr:

I'm another noob to this forum, but been trolling on here for years. Been into pins when EM's were still the thing at the bar while my dad drank and my brother and I played pinball and pool while he.... well. In short, I've always loved them and always will and thanks to those who have kept it alive all these years.

Now, that's an introduction!!

#197 3 years ago

They smell different. Some are even perfumey.

They don't have that lingering odor from a pinball show full of people who haven't slept, shaved, or showered for days. They don't smell like they've been in an electrical fire, yet. They don't smell of cleaning products or wax. No sweat from dragging machines up stairs by themselves.

They'll be accepted into the herd once they acquire the right scents. They won't seem so out of place.

LTG : )

#198 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

They don't have that lingering odor from a pinball show full of people who haven't slept, shaved, or showered for days. They don't smell like they've been in an electrical fire, yet. They don't smell of cleaning products or wax. No sweat from dragging machines up stairs by themselves.
    They'll be accepted into the herd once they acquire the right scents. They won't seem so out of place.

Well said Lloyd!

#199 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Hold the phone ....how bad do these shows smell ? I’ve been looking forward to these opening this year until now

#200 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

.how bad do these shows smell ?

Imagine a room full of losers who love pinball more than air itself. What do you think they smell like? Shows are so good!

There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-the-hate-for-newbies/page/4?hl=largemouthass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.