Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 240 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by swanng
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5A89C831-07B2-40F2-893C-017C1B948EDD (resized).jpeg
    fuckingkillme (resized).jpeg
    834385E7-1ED2-4A99-B293-CFA2821F3529 (resized).jpeg
    09724ABC-39E0-48C7-937E-3343CC010D2C (resized).jpeg
    8FD48A1A-4209-4BC8-9FB7-B60F7FF2FB40 (resized).jpeg
    0A08D52B-FC76-4FB0-AA5B-D07CFD7650BC (resized).jpeg
    981B45AF-EA88-40B4-9A95-74771F01FB53 (resized).png
    goml (resized).JPG
    IMG_20210309_082440176 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210309-125601_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg
    blood.gif
    IMG_20210309_231539 (resized).jpg
    FF1C1E00-87BA-466F-9327-AAC8F6F3B84D (resized).jpeg
    652E747A-73D6-4176-B1A8-1FA3C7720CBF (resized).jpeg
    7E21181B-0EEC-4AE6-8247-7C504E66464E (resized).jpeg
    HZYC.gif
    There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 3 years ago

Weird, Im a total noob, and I was under the impression that people here are very helpful and noob friendly.

When I posted an introduction in the northeast for sale thread, I received a lot of friendly greetings and advice as well as pms with a few offers and ended up buying a nice machine at a good price. Ive since picked up 3 more machines and have no yet reached the stage of acknowledging I have a problem.

When I had a few issues I couldnt research my way out of, people here were kind enough to take a second out of their day to help me. Ive purchased mods and parts from people here and every transaction was painless to pleasant.

I definitely fall into the lower tax bracket of nooby pinheads though; maybe mo money means mo problems

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Yes sir.
    Problem is our emotionally fragile country. This guy lost his job now??
    [quoted image]

That stinks!!!

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Yawn. Big, big yawns. Please, extoll us with all of your views on cancel culture.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from Robotoes:

Yawn. Big, big yawns. Please, extoll us with all of your views on cancel culture.

Not trolling.

True story

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Yes sir.
    [quoted image]

WTF is “rape culture”?
    Who wrote that?

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm a writer, and I just give it away for free here!

What's your return policy?

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Yeah, but think of what Pee Wee was doing on that chair!

IMG_20210309_082440176 (resized).jpgIMG_20210309_082440176 (resized).jpg
    #108 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

You bitch about a 2000 word essay by writing a 2000 word essay. When did you get your 2000 word approval card, and how long do you have to into pinball before were allowed to write one?
    It fucken disgusts me to se the same parade of people shitting on someone new to the hobby. I don’t agree with the 1st post, but I also didn’t find the need to tear him a new one. And 100 thumbs up, shows to me how little interest the old crowd has in being inviting to new people. It’s abrasive comments like Levi’s 2000 word essay that’s likely to shut people up, and drive them away from pinball, or pinside.

Not picking sides here, but Levi does tend to have a "pulse" on the community and has been here WAY longer than someone with 1 post saying what we have heard 100x over.

And no offense directly to the OP. I certainly "saw myself in 2012" when I read his post. I get it; I did it too. One of the reasons I haven't blasted him - I see who I was nearly 10 years ago in that post and remember where I came from.

So, I see both perspectives here. Hopefully, this experience won't shy the OP away.

As far as rising prices, it doesn't just affect NIB purchases. Look at the used market. It is a nearly direct correlation: NIB goes up, used market follows...

If that's not the case, find me a $1800 JM, $1200 DM, $1400 JD, $1500 JP DE, $2100 Shadow etc. They're all gone. Looking at $3000+ now.

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

[quoted image]

Sweet Pinball Resource invoice dude!

Speaking of which, we haven't had a newbie "what's up with that Steve Young guy anyway!?!" post in a while!

#110 3 years ago

this post will be perfect when my insomnia strikes again.

#111 3 years ago

Anyone else notice a patern where a newly created account makes their first post either controversial or a long winded diatribe and then disappears?

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Anyone else notice a patern where a newly created account makes their first post either controversial or a long winded diatribe and then disappears?

Damnit, I meant to say that in my earlier post!!!

Foiled again!

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

...and then does a podcast about it?

Quoted from NPO:

Not picking sides here, but Levi does tend to have a "pulse" on the community and has been here WAY longer than someone with 1 post saying what we have heard 100x over.
    And no offense directly to the OP. I certainly "saw myself in 2012" when I read his post. I get it; I did it too. One of the reasons I haven't blasted him - I see who I was nearly 10 years ago in that post and remember where I came from.

You make good points, but what the OP did was tantamount to walking into a party someone invited you to and shouting to the packed room, "WTF is WRONG with you people??? You don't know? Well, let me educate you!!!"

Kind of a toolbag move, no?

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You make good points, but what the OP did was tantamount to walking into a party someone invited you to and shouting to the packed room, "WTF is WRONG with you people??? You don't know? Well, let me educate you!!!"
    Kind of a toolbag move, no?

nobody cares what you think

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

Because they feel the need to cover there games in little kids toys....

+1

I know everyone is different. But, I don't remember this back in the day of RGP: People buying a game, and accessorizing every freakin inch of it with mirrored this, and changing-color-LED that. Plastic doo-dads, furry pin-footies, and of course- "The Topper" to every game. Why? You've taken what was cool and made it totally gaudy.

A functional mod- like a playfield protector? Sure - keeps the game from wearing out. #47 bulbs instead of #44? Yes- absolutely. LEDs so bright the entire game has a surreal blue glow that takes over the room? Mirrored panels inside the game on sides of the playfield? A light-up freakin Robby the robot drilled into the playfield? NO THANK YOU. But that's just me.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sweet Pinball Resource invoice dude!
    Speaking of which, we haven't had a newbie "what's up with that Steve Young guy anyway!?!" post in a while!

my first thought was "oh shit! did I send that check?" yes.yes I did.
    I need to learn to crop.
    B

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

nobody cares what you think

Welcome back to Pinside. It was such a nice place when there was a flatline next to your name.

#118 3 years ago

As a newbie who has just joined the hobby and paid close to 3 grand for Judge Dredd I think the OP asked for every single bit of wrath sent in his direction.

Pick any interest or hobby and start off posting like that you will have the exact same response. Or worse...

As a seasoned newbie who chases interests that change like the seasons I would NEVER roll into a forum and lay out a first post like that. Those who call him a troll are probably correct. Most likely a seasoned poster looking for a chuckle or two.

All that said Pinside is one of the nicest one stop shop forums I have ever seen. Thanks to everyone responsible for making that happen!

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Welcome back to Pinside. It was such a nice place when there was a flatline next to your name.

I just wanted to see what my line looked like.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Before you know it, he'll be writing an EM repair guide for us rubes.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from Acronymicon:

Weird, Im a total noob, and I was under the impression that people here are very helpful and noob friendly.

We are - especially to most Maine residents: Many of whom have done a lot for pinball - The hobby and the people in it.

- Start with a complaining diatribe
    - Reference Fleabay in any way
    - Float silly trades nobody would do (I'll trade my Honey EM, X Files, and Striker Extreme for a HUO Jurassic Park Pro).
    - Give advice to those who know 1000x what you do.
    .....and you will get the Pinside special newbie deluxe package of ridicule and abuse, as well as ward off all the good people too.

Start with a short intro about yourself.
    Why you like pinball?
    What you are trying to do in regards to building a home collection (generation? number of pins sought?)
    Seeking quick advice on a specific machine.
    Making an effort to hook up with other players in public locales (during normal Non Covid times).
    .....and you will find Pinsiders are mostly OK and often willing to help newbie's out.

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toymaker:

One thing I am noticing is alot of complaints about all the "new" buyers coming out of the year of COVID and the stupid prices as a result.

Stick with Facebook pinball groups instead of Pinside and you'll read a LOT less complaining and probably have more interesting conversations with real people versus guys using an Avatar/handle. The reality is, the FB groups are usually self-moderated and price policing, complaining in general, etc, is greatly reduced.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

This thread is gold! I feel like Im in high school again! Can someone talk shit on me so its more nostalgic for me? I have no idea what this post was about FYI. Tldr

Hows this for you, my 6 yr old says Spyro Adventure on Switch sucks and hes the weakest character on Skylanders! LOL!

#124 3 years ago

“Why the hate for newbies”

Because they typically start a thread like this:

I just bought this pinball machine. No I do not have the schematic or manual, nor did I make any effort to find one.
    I found the schematic online, but don’t want to pay for it, can someone upload or send me a free copy.
    I have not bothered to clean any of the parts in the machine and it still won’t turn on.
    I didn’t know you could lift the playfield up.
    Even though I have done none of the above, I don’t understand why you can’t just tell me how to fix it.

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Might be a guilty pleasure but I love a good ol' cargument. I also love when newbs call pins tables. Good stuff!

It makes my eye tic...

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Mark Twain ~ "Better to remain silent & thought a fool than to open one's mouth & remove all doubt."

Just Saying, since there are teachers in here:

https://www.npr.org/2017/04/04/522581148/hemingway-didnt-say-that-and-neither-did-twain-or-kafka
    On the origin of the quote "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt," which has been wrongly attributed to both to Abraham Lincoln and Mark Twain

The earliest evidence that I was able to find was a 1907 book by Maurice Switzer. And it seems to contain a lot of original material and it includes the statement "It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." So it's slightly different phrasing, but I believe that is what evolved to generate the modern common version.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

Hows this for you, my 6 yr old says Spyro Adventure on Switch sucks and hes the weakest character on Skylanders! LOL!

Lol. Thank you. The sad thing is that I would totally agree with your son on those games. The only good ones were on the OG playstation. At least this time I didnt my pants pulled down after being insulted.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from Acronymicon:

99% of people are, but you can't stir up a bunch of shit with facts like that!

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Stick with Facebook pinball groups instead of Pinside and you'll read a LOT less complaining and probably have more interesting conversations with real people versus guys using an Avatar/handle. The reality is, the FB groups are usually self-moderated and price policing, complaining in general, etc, is greatly reduced.

In my experience the big FB groups are run by horrible touchy mods, and full of either complete idiots, or overly sensitive pussballs. Most of the conversations are dumb topics like "there should be a *insert dumb theme idea here* pin!" or "I haven't taken one second to look for myself but please tell me the answer to an extremely basic question" or "check out this cool new game *posts picture of game that was announced months ago*" Maybe some of the more local groups or specialized groups are better but overall I have not enjoyed most of my experience in FB pinball groups.

#130 3 years ago

I think we now have a new meme... Levi #4. The only thing this thread is lacking is a 25 year old price list from Replay to cry over.

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i only hate it when newbs put colored LED's in their GI sockets. They don't know any better, and see other newbs doing it, thinking it is the way. Until you figure out you can't see the ball anymore. but then the damage is done and most are too lazy to change it to white after doing all the work to make it colorshitfest in the first place.

I agree with his like 99% except that part about 'not seeing the ball'. That's old man eyes, not led stuff. Sadly...I'm getting there too.

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Take it up with OP - who may or may not be a troll as we've never heard from him before or since.
    He posed a question, and I answered it, managing to get some laughs in the process, it's pretty much as simple as that. You are the one turning it into an afterschool special. The idea that this thread is going to scare people away from the hobby seems delusional.

It's all your fault the newbs leave Levi. Congrats, you are officially a curmudgeon. Here's your obligatory "Get off my lawn" sticker.
    goml (resized).JPGgoml (resized).JPG

/s

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

That's old man eyes, not led stuff. Sadly...I'm getting there too.

I'd like to see the average age of people that add Pukstadiums to new Sterns; I doubt it's the older folks.

#134 3 years ago

Have no fear fellow noobs I’ve been here before .Going over some of my lame ass lazy posts I’ll sacrifice myself to the mob while you guys run don’t worry I deserve it .

#135 3 years ago

Alright boys let er rip !!

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Alright boys let er rip !!

your not worthy

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'd like to see the average age of people that add Pukstadiums to new Sterns; I doubt it's the older folks.

It is here. I get the ones that just do white light and UV (Omegas), and turn the light intensity down so it adds warm, even light across the playfield and I don't have to have the room lights cranked. Really helps these nearly 50-year old eyes in tracking the ball.

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

your not worthy

981B45AF-EA88-40B4-9A95-74771F01FB53 (resized).png981B45AF-EA88-40B4-9A95-74771F01FB53 (resized).png
    #139 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well my point was LED's in themselves (colored) do not prevent you from seeing the ball. This has been proven with CGC games that have been converted and look gorgeous. Most people just suck at choosing colors. I too prefer the old looks for older games and led's in newer games, but I also am not a fan of pinstadiums.

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toymaker:

dreamers asking 20k for 12-14k titles

Today I learned that there are $12-14K titles.
    Huh.
    Who knew?

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I feel like Im in high school again! Can someone talk shit on me so its more nostalgic for me?

When your Mom goes camping bigfoot takes pictures of her.

#142 3 years ago

#143 3 years ago

Because you are COMPITITION to them!!!! You or them, or both will offer more $$$ to make a deal and BURN someone else......... Even happens between father and sons......

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Not trolling.

True story

Didn't say you were trolling, or that it wasn't true -- just that it was a cheap (and ultra, ultra boring) way to sneak in a political comment, that has literally zero bearing on the conversation/topic.

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

This thread is gold! I feel like Im in high school again! Can someone talk shit on me so its more nostalgic for me? I have no idea what this post was about FYI. Tldr

Your mama so fat she sat on a rainbow and made Skittles.

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from Acronymicon:

Bingo

Im sure there are a handful of dicks, but this community is the sole reason I decided I needed 3 or 4 pins instead of 1. I dont wanna sit here and shit on the OP, but its probably your fault you're upset.

*edit, I thought people may have been being a bit hard on you, but then realized THIS is your one and only post? We should send you an invoice for wasting our damn time with that rant.

#147 3 years ago

Serious question: How many pins do I need to overpay for before I’m not a noob?

#148 3 years ago

If you buy my overpriced pin I can guarantee you that you will no longer be a noob.

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Serious question: How many pins do I need to overpay for before I’m not a noob?

Trick question. Non noobs don't overpay!

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I feel like Im in high school again! Can someone talk shit on me so its more nostalgic for me?

Yo momas so dumb, I asked her out on a date and she said “pick me up on the corner of walk and don’t walk”.

There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-the-hate-for-newbies/page/3?hl=largemouthass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.