• Latest reply 27 days ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

92358618_10216966125449052_2199201393615568896_n (2) (resized).jpg

#1 29 days ago

I'm getting ready to rebuild the flippers on my Escape from the lost world. This machine has linear flippers (possibly original to the machine, they look pretty rough). This flipper design seems to be widely hated from everything I've read on the subject, and the recommendation is to "downgrade" the flippers to the previous era of bally flipper mechs. From Vid1900s' original post on rebuilding flippers (about 7 yrs ago) it seems that the reason was part in due to price of the linear kits, as well as how they wear and operate. Looking at the price of the early bally flipper rebuild kits vs the linear kits they are priced the same. Plus I would have to order seperate EOS switches, whereas the linear kit has the correct switches. SO cost wise It would actually be a little more to "downgrade" the flippers. Now a few extra dollars isn't a big deal, I want the best performance. With my old and worn linear flippers the machine still plays decent, I can hit the ramps, and the mechs have never locked up during play. I'm debating just ordering Linear flipper rebuild kits since the current flippers seemingly work ok, and I would assume new linear mechs would work better than what I currently have. This game is one of three machines I have and is played 3-4 times a week, no longer than 1hr each time. Just wondering If I'll actually notice a big difference with new linear flipper mechs vs. the "downgraded" earlier bally flipper mechs. I've been debating ordering one of each kit and comparing the new linear flippers to the earlier style of flipper mechs before I order four complete rebuild kits (its a four flipper game). Looking for anyone's thoughts on this.

#2 29 days ago

Linear flippers wear out so fast into slop, even if they were 1/4 price, it would be no bargain.

#3 28 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Linear flippers wear out so fast into slop, even if they were 1/4 price, it would be no bargain.

Thanks for the reply vid1900. I guess my question would have better been phrased as with what I would consider light home use, would you readily notice a difference between the older style mechs and new linear flippers? I don't notice "slop" in my flippers in the state they are in, but I'm relatively knew to pinball machines in general so it's entirely possible that my flippers are sloppy and I don't really notice. But in the end, I'd rather do it right the first time if I'm going to put forth the effort into rebuilding the flippers to begin with.

#4 28 days ago

From what I understand the circular nylon bearings will wear out fast and develop flat edges, causing further play and the wear to accelerate. The standard flipper mechs don't have this issue. I converted my Escape from the Lost World a few years ago. At a location that is open 24/7, the flippers I have converted have held up great and the ones I left as the linear mechanism are needing to be replaced now.

#5 28 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

From what I understand the circular nylon bearings will wear out fast and develop flat edges, causing further play and the wear to accelerate. The standard flipper mechs don't have this issue. I converted my Escape from the Lost World a few years ago. At a location that is open 24/7, the flippers I have converted have held up great and the ones I left as the linear mechanism are needing to be replaced now.

Thanks for the response Crash. Do you also notice a difference in how the machine plays with the earlier style flipper mechs...better flipper response/strength/ect.? or is the "downgrade" more to decrease how often the flipper mechs need to be rebuilt? I keep reading about it increasing "snappiness", but my escape from the lost world is sitting next to Judge dredd (with freshly rebuilt flippers) and I don't notice much of a difference when I go from one machine to the other. Now, my scorpion is completely different...I just rebuilt the flippers and they feel very slow and weak compared to my other two machines. The flippers on my Scorpion always did, and I hoped a rebuild would change that. I plan to upgrade scorpion to WP-C style flippers so hopefully i'll see a change.

#6 28 days ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

. I guess my question would have better been phrased as with what I would consider light home use, would you readily notice a difference between the older style mechs and new linear flippers?

Of course.

The plungers on the linear flippers are TWICE the weight of the old ones.

Energy can only do X amount of work.....

#7 28 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Of course.
The plungers on the linear flippers are TWICE the weight of the old ones.
Energy can only do X amount of work.....

Alright, sold! Thanks Vid1900, I'll be following your guide on doing the conversion. I'm putting the order in. Let me know if there is anything else I'm missing.
https://www.pinballlife.com/bally-flipper-rebuild-kit-051975-041980.html

Extension springs:
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-flipper-extension-spring.html

EOS switch. I already replaced the dual stack switches on both front flippers because they were toast when I got the machine so I only need 2 total for the back two flippers.
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-end-of-stroke-switch-normally-closed.html

I'm going to buy new flipper bats too, might as well do it all. Is there anything I'm missing?

#8 28 days ago

How you sleep after Vid gives you advice

92358618_10216966125449052_2199201393615568896_n (2) (resized).jpg
#9 28 days ago
Quoted from RWH:

How you sleep after Vid gives you advice
[quoted image]

That's hilarious! Not gonna lie, I was a little star struck.

#10 28 days ago

Have people converted to wpc style flipper mechs using the same bally coils? It seems that design is pretty robust. I've done a flash and it seemed to play very good.

#11 27 days ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Have people converted to wpc style flipper mechs using the same bally coils? It seems that design is pretty robust. I've done a flash and it seemed to play very good.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers/page/27#post-3101687

coils would be different sizes, but here is how

#12 27 days ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

That's hilarious! Not gonna lie, I was a little star struck.

He is a wealth of knowledge and myself and many others have benefited from his knowledge more than once

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside