(Topic ID: 278681)

Why suddenly are only deep games considered good?

By Doctor6

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by koji
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2966A7D4-F3F9-49E8-BDA2-194E8A675D8C (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 3 years ago

It didn't happen quickly. Most EM's in the 70's you could play for five minutes and figure out the rules. Didn't even need to read the instruction card, although virtually all of the rules were written on them. In the 80's games got deeper rules. Reading the instruction card wasn't enough. In the 90's, we got wizard modes. In the 2000's, we got even deeper games with wizard modes that were often out of reach for the vast majority of players.

Which games are 'good' is subjective. Stern and JJP continuing to build games with (mostly) deeper rules suggests that's what their customers want. Stern tried dumbing down the rules on Munsters. That didn't go well with home buyers, but there about as many of those on location as other recent Stern's. We'll see if they try that approach again.

The other thing that has changed is players are better now. Competitive pinball hasn't been organized in the past. Now, you can easily track your ranking online no matter where you live or compete. That has brought a lot more good players onto the scene. Escher Lefkoff won PAPA A division at age 13. These new younger players want those deeper rules. Games made before 2000 get boring fast for those players.

I've been playing for more than 50 years now and while I still enjoy playing the EM's I learned on for fun, I would rather play today's deeper games. Learning the rules and finding exploits is half the fun. I don't read instruction cards on new games until I get 40 or 50 games in. You have to learn the rules along with the shots. Once I get a feel for the game, learning the rules gets easier and whatever it says on the intruction card makes more sense. I'm thankful for all the great games coming out today. It really is a great time to be a pinball player.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-suddenly-ste-only-deep-games-good?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.