(Topic ID: 278681)

Why suddenly are only deep games considered good?

By Doctor6

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by koji
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2966A7D4-F3F9-49E8-BDA2-194E8A675D8C (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicoy3k.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

I shake my head with every stern reveal, as some guy tries to explain all these modes and stacking horseshit...blah blah blah.
    I just go out to my garage and turn on Firepower, Paragon, or Black Hole and enjoy simple perfection.
    If your game needs a thousand rules, to be good than the designers have missed the point.
    Message from the Freeeek Kingdom.

You also have 18 games to choose from when 99% of people don’t have the money or space for a collection larger than 1-4 games.

I think the term “deep” isn’t a very good one to describe a pinball machine. Pinball is inherently not “deep” because it is limited by being a physical box. In my mind a “deep” game is one that offers a variety of things to accomplish and a variety of ways to reach those accomplishments. The goal ultimately is to allow the player remain challenged/interested with the game for a longer period of time.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I am just back and forth on what I want my next game to be. Being a relatively poor man in the hobby, it takes a lot of deliberation for me. A huge part of me wants monster bash or afm next, if not for myself but for guests that come over. Everyone that comes play pinball flocks to woz, but trying to tell them the rules is almost embarrassing lol. I figured now that I have 2 deep games and 2 semi-deep games, now would be a good time to get one that takes two seconds to understand.

I would highly highly recommend AFM over MB. While not super deep in terms of sheer number of modes, the AFM code has a wonderful variety different things to do and ways to approach those goals. The saucer also require a lot of strategy around how to manage multi balls. MB literally has 6 modes that are nothing but hitting the same shot over and over again and that’s it... with a minor layer of strategy around trying to start the modes at the same time. Almost every game of MB I played felt the same.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicoy3k.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-suddenly-ste-only-deep-games-good?tu=nicoy3k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.