BonScott + Angus.png
Metallica Premium.jpg
sadtrek.jpg
170040.jpg
billions and billions.jpg
image.jpg
Kwiki STLE rating.jpg
ashley-judd-star-trek-tng-214.jpg
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

That is funny coming from a guy who gives negative ratings without seeing or playing a game-lol

He won't be the first nor last one!

#52 10 years ago

I got to play the Pro, Premium, and LE now and I am a huge trek fan. I don't love the game yet but maybe it will grow on me. The LE out of the box looks amazing with the lights in the cab and the speaker/dmd panel! The red powder is very nice and I think the LE/Prem plays a hair better than the pro. For the money though, the pro is awesome out of the box with the led's. As for the gameplay, I'm not a great player so maybe thats why I haven't gotten into it yet but yeah it just isn't growing on me. Metallica is a blast to play and I just don't get the same rush with trek. The code is more complete on trek though. Just my 2¢

#53 10 years ago

It's not like it doesn't happen with every pin out there, why you guys are surprised is beyond me. People that give a pin a 10 and say its the best ever are shocked when somebody else hates it (see Woz ratings).

The ratings are a joke, the comments are good though.....

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from huo:

I've had a few games over the past year. Playfield dimpling is normal and basically unavoidable while using a metal ball and hitting it a billion times.

Somehow the "other manufacturer" has managed to avoid this problem....

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I doubt that I have played plenty WOZ's and they were all dimpled the same as sterns.

#56 10 years ago

Thought this was appropriate for this thread.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#57 10 years ago

It has the potential to be the best pin. We will see. Right now it is my all time favorite. feels next gen and more fun than any other pin, with MM in a close second.

#58 10 years ago

Yes, clearly so. They have a new wood that is harder than steel

billions and billions.jpgbillions and billions.jpg

#59 10 years ago

#60 10 years ago

Is this ignorance, or fanboyism on display?

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

You would have less than $1.

He's exactly right. How many new pinball games have been made in the last 5 years?

#62 10 years ago

Steel meets wood.... Wood loses every time

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is this ignorance, or fanboyism on display?

Fanboyism? You do know you bash WOZ and JJP at every opportunity on here right?

#64 10 years ago

Could someone please explain how the levels for different missions in Star Trek works? How do each of the levels differ and does it affect the wizard mode "The Captains Chair" based on how many missions you beat?

Thanks!

#65 10 years ago

They all dimple and they all break.

#66 10 years ago

I've never been a huge Stern fan... but I'd have to admit that ST is one helluva game. I had a chance to log about 20 games on it last weekend at Modern Pinball NYC. Beautiful machine... feels right... and the OP is right, it has a certain feel to that elevates it to a really good place. Stern has a home run on its hands. As for the "greatest game ever???" I don't know about that... it's good though. Really good.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Fanboyism? You do know you bash WOZ and JJP at every opportunity on here right?

No because it's not true. And my post in no way, shape, or form was a negative statement towards JJP. How am I not surprised that YOU would interpret it that way though?

Would it be because you are actually a bigger fanboy of JJP than anyone on this entire site, bar none? Including Alex.

#68 10 years ago

Love the new music after finishing the mode!

#69 10 years ago

Question. How many of people who are saying this game or that game is so awesome and so much better then another are seeing and playing all the others that have been released. I know there are a lot of people who never get to play a game unless they buy it because they just aren't out there to play. I guess Im not understanding how everyone goes goo goo over every new Stern game that comes out because to me they are, in most cases, same shit different theme all with unfinished code.ST seemed to me to be more sparce and boring than the past few efforts except that it is fast as hell.

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Question. How many of people who are saying this game or that game is so awesome and so much better then another are seeing and playing all the others that have been released. I know there are a lot of people who never get to play a game unless they buy it because they just aren't out there to play. I guess Im not understanding how everyone goes goo goo over every new Stern game that comes out because to me they are, in most cases, same shit different theme all with unfinished code.ST seemed to me to be more sparce and boring than the past few efforts except that it is fast as hell.

You have to seek out locations and play as many machines as possible... make up your own mind. Opinions are nice...and are valuable (especially if there is a clear-cut consensus) at helping to make choices.

Seems like WOZ and ST are constantly being compared... I played both, right next to each other, on location. Both are a ton of fun... very different games. It was obvious that the WOZ had a much beefier/substantial build quality, to me at least... but at the end of the day, game play is what matters most. Both are really fun. I think there's good reason for everyone going nuts over ST. I actually had a negative impression when I first saw images of the playfield and a few videos of game play... but I'm glad I withheld final judgement because it is really fun to play. I'd easily add it to my game room if the opportunity arose.

#71 10 years ago

I am already starting to get bored with ST. The playfield is great and the gameplay is there, but everything else about this pin is below average, imho. Every game is the same. I try to start/complete each of the 6 modes (which are all mostly the same shots) and see how many Vengeance and Klingon multiballs I can get in one game. Maybe I'm missing something. I also frequently get balls stuck on the magnet during Vengeance which is annoying and I get regular rejects off of the drop target from the left flipper. It's still a fun game, but I have doubts about it's staying power and I think it looks very generic. There is nothing next-gen about this game, aside from arguably the LEDs.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Could someone please explain how the levels for different missions in Star Trek works? How do each of the levels differ and does it affect the wizard mode "The Captains Chair" based on how many missions you beat?
Thanks!

All the modes are pretty different. For instance, Nero - Level 1 is timed, with various lit shots (each shot fires a shot at Nero's ship)...after you hit one - it will relight after a little bit. Level 2 isn't timed - you have to shoot 7 or 8 Romulans on Nero's ship. There are 3 shooting at you on the DMD - the left 2 shots are for the guy on the left, middle 2 for the middle guy, and right 2 for the right guy. If you lose your ball, you can restart this mode where you left off. Level 3 is timed, and there are a few roaming shots that are pretty quick to hop around. You have to get 5 shots before the time runs out. If you time out or lose your ball on Level 3, you have to start from scratch each time.

If you get 3 in a row, Captain's chair blinks for either Super Pops, Super Ramps, or Super Spinner depending on which 3 in a row you get. I think if you get all Level 1's, you get Kobayashi Maru MB and I think if you get all Level 3's you get 5-Year Mission....or do you get that if you get all the Level 2's? SKB knows everything lol.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I am already starting to get bored with ST. The playfield is great and the gameplay is there, but everything else about this pin is below average, imho. Every game is the same. I try to start/complete each of the 6 modes (which are all mostly the same shots) and see how many Vengeance and Klingon multiballs I can get in one game. Maybe I'm missing something. I also frequently get balls stuck on the magnet during Vengeance which is annoying and I get regular rejects off of the drop target from the left flipper. It's still a fun game, but I have doubts about it's staying power and I think it looks very generic. There is nothing next-gen about this game, aside from arguably the LEDs.

Try changing feature adjustment #33 (#31 on pro?)to NO and expand your strategies with more beneficial mission 3 rewards. Stack those with KM mb and vengeance victory laps.

As for magnet ball hang ups and left flipper air balls; check your pitch - and what balls are you using ? I've only had a stuck magnet vengeance twice. Check your opto connectors too. Mine came a hair loose and caused awkward effects - reseating it seemed to have fixed it.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you get 3 in a row, Captain's chair blinks for either Super Pops, Super Ramps, or Super Spinner depending on which 3 in a row you get. I think if you get all Level 1's, you get Kobayashi Maru MB and I think if you get all Level 3's you get 5-Year Mission....or do you get that if you get all the Level 2's? SKB knows everything lol.

If you get all level 2's you get the mini wizard mode, which I don't think has been named yet?

#75 10 years ago

WoZ is made far better than any Stern, that should be a given, and the fact that the layout somewhat original and NOT a fan layout is great but like others have said there is really not a satisfying shot in the game and there is something about it that is unsatisfying when you play it. Maybe it is the fact that I suck so bad that I cant get anywhere in the game.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If you get all level 2's you get the mini wizard mode, which I don't think has been named yet?

Has anyone checked it since 1.4? I've only been there once, pre-1.3.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

WoZ is made far better than any Stern, that should be a given,

So why all the threads on changing bad boards??

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from sillyoldelf:

I've been thinking why this game gets better the more I play and I realised I t's because I forget I'm actually playing pinball. This thing is so immersive and flows so great, it's a joy. While I love games like the Simpsons and monster bash always brings a smile, I never forget I'm playing pinball. Star Trek just brings everything together so exquisitely.
If this thing gets any better I'm scared I might become a Trekkie.

You nailed it. Best ever.

#79 10 years ago

I do agree the rules need to be expanded. And I've been thinking about it:

What if they made level 2 missions side-objectives that could stack with level 1,2, or 3 missions (granted they're open). These level 2 side objectives would be things like (destroy the drill - hit the spinner 100 times); or (save the enterprise - hit the warp ramp 3 times); or (Nero - hit the pops 250 times). While these side objectives are active, the player should be able to stack them with other level 1 & 3 missions.

Rules need more width, scoring strategies, and stacking potential.

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Try changing feature adjustment #33 (#31 on pro?)to NO and expand your strategies with more beneficial mission 3 rewards. Stack those with KM mb and vengeance victory laps.
As for magnet ball hang ups and left flipper air balls; check your pitch - and what balls are you using ? I've only had a stuck magnet vengeance twice. Check your opto connectors too. Mine came a hair loose and caused awkward effects - reseating it seemed to have fixed it.

Do the 2x stack with combos for 4x in the new code? If not then the lvl 3 is still not worth it.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I do agree the rules need to be expanded. And I've been thinking about it:
What if they made level 2 missions side-objectives that could stack with level 1,2, or 3 missions (granted they're open). These level 2 side objectives would be things like (destroy the drill - hit the spinner 100 times); or (save the enterprise - hit the warp ramp 3 times); or (Nero - hit the pops 250 times). While these side objectives are active, the player should be able to stack them with other level 1 & 3 missions.
Rules need more width, scoring strategies, and stacking potential.

The game's narrative is already a bit spazzy....that might take us into an "X-Men everything stacked spazfest" territory. I think it's OK that the game is following a 1-mode running, stack with Multiball or Vengeance Mode structure. You've also got the Warp ramp which is fun & works you toward extra ball. I have a feeling you'll get more of that variety you're looking for as they update:

-More Vengeance stuff
-More combo rules and logic
-Probably more things will be going on with the Yellow weapons inserts.
-Perhaps there will be some mode or something added for getting to Warp 9.
-I have to imagine the Away Team shot will be used for something more than an alternate Mode Start

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from huo:

I've had a few games over the past year. Playfield dimpling is normal and basically unavoidable while using a metal ball and hitting it a billion times.

Funny, here we are with Star Trek LE out for about 2 weeks and WOZ out for a few months.
I still haven't seen a dimpling on WOZ.
With Stern cranking out 2-3 games a year and their code not being complete, kind of tells me they are just in it for the money (ya, ya, here we go, everyone will crap on me saying "like Jersey Jack isn't". Yes JJ is as well, but I think they are putting more time and attention into their machines.
But getting back to the topic of this thread "Why Star Trek could be the greatest game ever", I don't see it.
Fun game, damn fun. But I cant see it lasting. The next new shiny Stern title will come along and Star Trek will become a coat rack.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It has a name.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

It has a name.

Enterprise Amok?

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Enterprise Amok?

Robert Paulson

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Robert Paulson

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Do the 2x stack with combos for 4x in the new code? If not then the lvl 3 is still not worth it.

Haven't checked to be honest, but I highly doubt it. And you're right; it's still more beneficial to just go straight for the mini wizard modes. But if you can get some 2x pf shots and stack those with mb jps or victory laps; it has some benefit. Still not worth the risk to get there; but at least it's another avenue until we get a rules update....at least I presume there will be more rules added to this game.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The game's narrative is already a bit spazzy....that might take us into an "X-Men everything stacked spazfest" territory. I think it's OK that the game is following a 1-mode running, stack with Multiball or Vengeance Mode structure. You've also got the Warp ramp which is fun & works you toward extra ball. I have a feeling you'll get more of that variety you're looking for as they update:
-More Vengeance stuff
-More combo rules and logic
-Probably more things will be going on with the Yellow weapons inserts.
-Perhaps there will be some mode or something added for getting to Warp 9.
-I have to imagine the Away Team shot will be used for something more than an alternate Mode Start

Agree, but the Warp ramp needs more than an eb and add a ball. Needs some scoring strategies or bonuses tied into it.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from whocanitbenow:

With Stern cranking out 2-3 games a year and their code not being complete, kind of tells me they are just in it for the money (ya, ya, here we go, everyone will crap on me saying "like Jersey Jack isn't". Yes JJ is as well, but I think they are putting more time and attention into their machines.

These machines are made to make money... pure and simple. They are fun to collect and play in the home... but they aren't meant to be tanks or museum pieces.

I get what you are saying...and I'm not a huge Stern fan...but they have a model that's been working. And if you listen to Stern talk, you'll hear him say they that are in the business of making machines to keep a business alive. If they don't keep their eye on that goal, they won't be able to pay their employees and Stern will die. We don't want that.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Agree, but the Warp ramp needs more than an eb and add a ball. Needs some scoring strategies or bonuses tied into it.

Sure, I could see that coming...more points for doing a "Picard Maneuver" combo to the Warp ramp, a cool mode or something once you hit Warp 9....

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

These machines are made to make money... pure and simple. They are fun to collect and play in the home... but they aren't meant to be tanks or museum pieces.
I get what you are saying...and I'm not a huge Stern fan...but they have a model that's been working. And if you listen to Stern talk, you'll hear him say they that are in the business of making machines to keep a business alive. If they don't keep their eye on that goal, they won't be able to pay their employees and Stern will die. We don't want that.

Actually I think that would be a good thing. Kill off Stern and the market will be wide open for Jack or Rick or someone else to take over the market with something other than low quality same old same old rehashed pins.

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Of course we don't. I get that.
But sometimes you need to take 1 baby step back and say, hey are people happy with the quality and titles we have been making. Are we listening to the consumer.
In the case of Stern, I say "no".

#93 10 years ago

Funny, here we are with Star Trek LE out for about 2 weeks and WOZ out for a few months.
I still haven't seen a dimpling on WOZ.
But getting back to the topic of this thread "Why Star Trek could be the greatest game ever", I don't see it.
Fun game, damn fun. But I cant see it lasting. The next new shiny Stern title will come along and Star Trek will become a coat rack.

All games dimple!

All games get old so the more you like a theme the less this will happen. But new shineys always are top dog for a few weeks.

Personally think this game has enough to be top 10 in 12 months time.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

All games dimple!
All games get old so the more you like a theme the less this will happen. But new shineys always are top dog for a few weeks.
Personally think this game has enough to be top 10 in 12 months time.

Then why isn't WOZ dimpling?

#95 10 years ago

Woz is dimpling I have noticed it on almost every picture. Every game dimples. Why is it dimpling less, well my guess would be that JJP is using a 10 layer PF? v.s. a 5 or 7 layer PF.

#96 10 years ago

so when I play I try to get all 6 missions.

Are other guys finding value/fun/more points/etc. out of say doing prime directive 3 times in a row before starting any other mission?

Just looking for different ways to play

fun game for sure

(if it matters I have a pro)

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

well my guess would be that JJP is using a 10 layer PF? v.s. a 5 or 7 layer PF.

Enough said.

#98 10 years ago

Because it is… Even in Vids photo of "no dimples" there are some…

170040.jpg170040.jpg
#99 10 years ago

Quick, look over there, the next shiny Stern title.
sadtrek.jpgsadtrek.jpg

#100 10 years ago

Of course we don't. I get that.
But sometimes you need to take 1 baby step back and say, hey are people happy with the quality and titles we have been making. Are we listening to the consumer.
In the case of Stern, I say "no".

What titles are you looking for them to make?

IMO the Avengers / superheroes titles aren't fun...but that's just me. There's a lot of folks that love them. More recently, it's hard to argue against ACDC, Metallica, and Star Trek. They hit those titles out of the park... especially Metallica and I'm not even a fan of Metallica. But that game brought a ton of attention to pinball and Stern pinball. Metallica announced the game on the their website that has upwards of 30 million followers. This all goes without mentioning games like Tron and Lord of the Rings.

I would love to see original titles pouring out of Stern and have criticized them in the past for not doing that, but if you listen to Stern talk, you'll understand their motivations and their choice of titles. Bottom line is, they are still afloat and still making games. They have a factory that is operating and generating money. Their last 3 have been really good. Let's hope Mustang is just as successful.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-star-trek-could-be-the-greatest-game-ever/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.