(Topic ID: 222420)

Why Spraymax2K is better than other Clear Coat Systems for Playfields!

By gmkalos

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gmkalos
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

62.JPG
    61.JPG
    59.JPG
    60.JPG
    58.JPG
    51.JPG
    57.JPG
    50.JPG
    45.JPG
    44.JPG
    39.JPG
    33.JPG
    28.JPG
    24.JPG
    5 (resized).jpg
    4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gmkalos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I don't think people get it so I'm going to make a bold statement here, this is the product I am using to clear pfs and really believe in it. The way most people are clearing pfs now (CPR, Micro, Stern, Diamondplate etc.) is by using a 2 part Urethane automotive grade clear coat which is mainly used in the automotive field. Urethane can be either too soft or too hard but not in between, it's great for the sweeping curves of a cars body but not ideal for flat surfaces. There's thousands different manufactures of 2 part or 2 pac Urethane clear coat systems but I have not seen one yet that will either crack and chip because it's too hard or dimple and wear fast because its too soft. As a professional mechanic I saw countless dealers (BMW, Lincoln, Porsche) were installing bug deflector kits (basically mylar) to protect and warranty their Urethane clear coat finishes. Varathane, Polycrylic, Lacquer, Clear Enamel, Varnish were all used in the past and are not much better, really I think the Varnish holds up the best as you can tell from em Gottlieb pfs. Using pure acrylic like Polycrylic has been the only way in the past to protect against all wear but is too brittle and cracks under extreme stress. You can see all the clear coat repair kits floating out there for Urethane 2 part jobs and that only further proves my point, if you can't drill into your clear coat without cracking what do you expect to happen when a wild ball hits your rail or slams into a open area on the pf.

This is why I am such a Spraymax fan they have successfully blended soft resins with tough acrylics, literally the best of both worlds. This is the same recipe as bulletproof glass essentially. When applied liberally I use about 12 coats it WILL NOT DIMPLE from a ball drop up to 6 feet, anything over 6 feet it will start to leave a mark, which is what you want instead of the clear coat cracking. Spraymax is also stronger on large surfaces and explicitly states that. I don't believe there's any action in pinball that could generate the same level of force as dropping a ball from 6 feet. This product will not wear down and will protect the playfield art and topcoat finish for a lifetime, not 5 years or even 20 a lifetime 80-100 years! Here you can see some examples of the elastic qualities of SM2K sprayed out onto this paper plate.
    1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg4 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg5 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago
    24.JPG24.JPG28.JPG28.JPG33.JPG33.JPG39.JPG39.JPG44.JPG44.JPG45.JPG45.JPG50.JPG50.JPG51.JPG51.JPG57.JPG57.JPG58.JPG58.JPG59.JPG59.JPG60.JPG60.JPG61.JPG61.JPG62.JPG62.JPG
    #4 5 years ago

This is the thing I recently saw a Spiderman Stern pf and it was cracked up to hell, then saw a Batman 66 pf and it was dimpled up to hell, both were factory urethane clear coat jobs. The manufactures think dimples are a grey area and that lets them use a soft 2 part urethane clear coat. Because obviously Stern got tired of warranting cracking clear coats on their earlier pfs. The softer the clear coat, the easier it dimples and the faster it will wear down to the art! Don't believe the bs the most discerning of car collectors would consider a dimple or a crack as an imperfection in the top coat (clear). If you want your pf to look like it was sprayed yesterday and actually play on it without fear of imperfections use SM2K!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/65730

#6 5 years ago

Any paint supply shop 3680061 is the part number and it's a 2 part Acrylic clear coat system, personally I like using ebay.

Here's a 3 year old thread about the system, if you're going to do it yourself I suggest you carefully read the whole thread and you will have amazing results!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gmkalos.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-spraymax2k-is-better-than-other-clear-coat-systems-for-playfields?tu=gmkalos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.