New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 61321)

Why so much interest in Creature From The Black Lagoon lately ?

By Darth_Chris

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MrWizzo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20130803_123606_026.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I looked at the games talked about for the last 7 days and for some reason CFTBL has 101 when it's closest rival has 17 WOZ. Don't get me wrong, I love that game. Very unique and cool thematic. Soundtrack and callouts are cool too.

It's making a huge comeback ?

#2 7 years ago

I think people have been geeking out about CFTBL more than it warrants for a while, actually. It's a decent game, and one of the better early WPC themes.... but the gameplay is nothing special.

#3 7 years ago

I want to like it, great theme, but the actual gameplay leaves me cold.

#4 7 years ago

Creature who?

#5 7 years ago

Possibly the fact of another option for the hologram will/is be available and also the new large Creature topper may have sparked some more interest....just thinkin' out loud.

#6 7 years ago

Creech has always been somewhat popular, but with several options for the hologram now, I think that is what has kicked it up a bit.

#7 7 years ago

Looks like an error I calculation. I counted less than 20.
I follow CREECH closely since it is my favorite machine, and beyond the hologram repro, there hasn't been a lot of variation in CREECH traffic in general.

#8 7 years ago

Same here I owned it a while back ,never played it before so I got one and with in one week I sold it ,not fun at all

#9 7 years ago

It happens
There is an odd herd mentality that happen in the pinball world

One day every body wants a Roadshow, then it will be an AFM, then everyone wants EM's, then Zac's

It is CFTBL turn

#10 7 years ago

Unless I am misunderstanding something, doesn't that list just take a tagged game and based on the post count run a total for that list?

Hilton's CFTBL sale (with bumps) accounts for 68 of those posts....

I just tagged this post, let's see if it rises even more

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Unless I am misunderstanding something, doesn't that list just take a tagged game and based on the post count run a total for that list?
Hilton's CFTBL sale (with bumps) accounts for 68 of those posts....
I just tagged this post, let's see if it rises even more

One more for the counter....

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

There is an odd herd mentality that happen in the pinball world

It's called flavor of the month. That comes off as a little negative but it really isn't. Sometimes there's just a run on games and all of a sudden everyone's talking, buying, pricing them.
Some stick around some fade away. Last year there wasn;t much talk aboot JD, now all the time.

#13 7 years ago

Because CFTBL is a fantastic game and the new LCD mod makes is that much better

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

Because CFTBL is a fantastic game and the new LCD mod makes is that much better

It's an all time classic for me; but not a fan of the LCD. Of course it's heling a ton of people so it's a great thing no doubt, just like the old look better.

#15 7 years ago

Screw CFTBL

Star Trek will be out soon!

#16 7 years ago

CFTBL is not for everyone been there done that time to move on

#17 7 years ago

Released on Pinball Arcade recently too.

#18 7 years ago

It blows! Ed

#19 7 years ago

I love it! Also, like Star Trek so I'll be getting that too.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

CFTBL is not for everyone been there done that time to move on

totally agree, well i love it, but I can totally understand why people don't.

#21 7 years ago

I really like it. It has a great look, and great play. It just suffers from a basic rule set. Once you've done all the tasks and find the creature, that's it. You just do it all again. It would be awesome to see a great programmer take on some of these great older games and add more levels and challenges. Mods are cool to look at, but they only go so far.

#22 7 years ago

Love Creech! John Trudeau is an amazing pin designer and CFTBL might be his best.

Well, until his new one from Stern hits next year sometime.

Welcome Back John!

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballShawn:

Once you've done all the tasks and find the creature, that's it.

Super Jackpot is tough.

#24 7 years ago

After the Super you can get another jackpot that is the value of the super, so it just keeps on going...how far can you get? Also, can you max out the multiplier? It's very addicting.

#25 7 years ago

I like the shots, I like the ramps. It's got something like 12 modes. The music is cool & retro.
The cab and backglass are beautiful. The hologram ( or soon to be LCD mod for me) is really eye-catching and a cool idea for the theme.

The layout is different than your typical game, which might make it difficult for some people to perfect the shots to their satisfaction. I'm not that great at it either. I like that fact that it doesn't play like other games.

Yes, the rules aren't that deep, but i'm not the best player in world and simple rules I can understand and work toward completing are fun for me. Just don't get all the hate for it...

#26 7 years ago

It's the only game I own that my wife actually knows the goals and aims for them... Instead of just swatting at the ball.

I think it's gorgeous and a really fun game.

#27 7 years ago

Move your car b!+ch

#28 7 years ago

Never played a Creech but the theme alone makes me want one, the modded ones out there in mint condition look amazing.

It does seem to polarise people on gameplay though so definitely a try before you buy PIN from what I have read here and elsewhere.

Toppers, playfields and machines have all been news recently so it is having a few days in the sun before sinking back into the swamp waiting to pounce again on a scantily clad chic...........awesome.

#29 7 years ago

I blame Monster Bash Color DMD for this renewed love affair with Gil(l).

#30 7 years ago

I think John Trudeau and the rest of the design team hit it out of the park with CFTBL. The theme, art work and software are so well integrated. It really is a thing of beauty to look at. I will admit that the rule set is pretty shallow. But that doesn't really take much away from the game. It is a great title to have if you have a bunch of others with super deep rule sets and a super crazy amount of modes. I also like that it only has a 2 ball multiball mode. It makes for a bit more of a challenge compared to games with large multiball counts because there is nothing to lose.

This game is also good to have around for non-pinheads and kids. People always gravitate to mine when they are over. It is easy to pick up the basic goals unlike some of my others (I'm talking TZ here) which require a 30 minute dissertation on all of the rules and modes.

#31 7 years ago

To those who think the ruleset is simple, did you know it is possible to get a 10 Billion super jackpot!!

Yet to have any SJ but with the various multipliers etc it really becomes a player's game.

#32 7 years ago

My 2 cents:

Creature is easy to understand for the casual player; the beauty of this machine IMO is the simplicity. Believe it or not, some people don’t always want to play a 45 minute TSPP type game. I like the fact that you don’t have to be Bowen to achieve a super jackpot on CFTBL. Plus, the artwork has universal appeal (no pun intended) for most people. The theme is based on a “horror movie.” Personally, I like horror and sci-fi themes the most. The game has a unique and eye catching look to it. The SJ call out is one of my favorites. Bottom line, the machine gives you a since of accomplishment when you make the shots (MB restart, SJ, Big Millions, Ultimate Million, etc.). I like a game that makes me smile. I like to have fun when I play pinball; Creature always seems to do that for me. Oh, and the LCD MOD isn’t half bad either

#33 7 years ago

It's green.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

My 2 cents:
Creature is easy to understand for the casual player; the beauty of this machine IMO is the simplicity. Believe it or not, some people don’t always want to play a 45 minute TSPP type game. I like the fact that you don’t have to be Bowen to achieve a super jackpot on CFTBL. Plus, the artwork has universal appeal (no pun intended) for most people. The theme is based on a “horror movie.” Personally, I like horror and sci-fi themes the most. The game has a unique and eye catching look to it. The SJ call out is one of my favorites. Bottom line, the machine gives you a since of accomplishment when you make the shots (MB restart, SJ, Big Millions, Ultimate Million, etc.). I like a game that makes me smile. I like to have fun when I play pinball; Creature always seems to do that for me. Oh, and the LCD MOD isn’t half bad either

At my arcade I am fond of teaching non or new pinball players the rules of this game because it is easy to understand what to do with one 2 min lesson. I have watched many folks become addicted to Creach and Pinball because of it. Can't ask for more then that. I have have people tell me that the 40 games in there basement are because I took a few min to show them that pinball is not just banging the ball around randomly . Also notice most of the hard core pinheads like it or dont mind it at all. Great game that has started many a collection.

#35 7 years ago

It's a good game with a great theme. Much cheaper than new pins and other A list WPC games. I think folks are right that the new LCD hologram, repro holograms, the release by Pinball Arcade, and even all the pics of the Creature grave walker topper being shown has sparked major interest in this title.
-Ed

#36 7 years ago

It is my wife's second favorite game (after Monster Bash) so I will own one as long as I am a collector I agree the combination Drive-In / monster theme is great. We had a pinball party at the house recently for "non-pinball" people. 10 games to choose from, pretty much all "top 30" ranked games. Creature got the most play and the most love, which is in line with what a couple other people have said. So there is something to that.

#37 7 years ago

It's been my favorite since day one. One day I will own a crispy example.

#38 7 years ago

because creature is awesome, especially with mikes mod!

#39 7 years ago

Creech rocks!

IMG_20130803_123606_026.jpg

#40 7 years ago

If you're just playing for the basic stuff, I'm sure it doesn't seem as good. I love playing Creech, but then again I'm going for super jackpots and Super Scoring and maxing out Bowls, Multipliers, ramp bonuses, move your car, etc. It's not easy to do all that stuff. It was my first game and still the one I play the most. Look at my collection titles and you'll see that that's saying a lot.

#41 7 years ago

From time to time I go through threads looking for games not linked to the topic. This month I picked CFTBL. When I do that it cranks up the "talked about games" to go up. Basically, I linked 101 posts to CFTBL to help identify.

Quoted from Darth_Chris:

I looked at the games talked about for the last 7 days and for some reason CFTBL has 101 when it's closest rival has 17 WOZ. Don't get me wrong, I love that game. Very unique and cool thematic. Soundtrack and callouts are cool too.
It's making a huge comeback ?

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

After the Super you can get another jackpot that is the value of the super, so it just keeps on going...how far can you get? Also, can you max out the multiplier? It's very addicting.

As far as you can go. The multiplier maxes out at 4X, and once you have collected the first super jackpot, the jackpot multiplier does not increase (past 1X).

Creech is by far my favorite. I have posted a lot on it attributes. IMO, it is one of the few games that display a perfect integration of everything that goes into pin. It is a hard unforgiving game that will beat up you consistently. Simple but hard.

Super jackpot is very hard to achieve.

Dan

#43 7 years ago

On top of all the other positives mentioned about CFTBL, the attribute I enjoy the most is the artwork. Simply stunning! It is the one machine I can just turn on to the attract mode and just watch it happen--it is that amazing of an overall package. The game play can be deliberate and aggravating (as opposed to quick and flowing), but the rewards outweigh the shot requirements. Just a beautiful pinball game from top to bottom not matched by many (any?).

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

From time to time I go through threads looking for games not linked to the topic. This month I picked CFTBL. When I do that it cranks up the "talked about games" to go up. Basically, I linked 101 posts to CFTBL to help identify.

AH now I see there is only 6 instead of 101.

#45 7 years ago

You found yourself a nice side job to get yourself tons of karma points

It's all good. Thanks for the answer, makes sense and someone has to do it for the GREATER GOOD of the community.

Keep up the good work

#46 7 years ago

Thanks I do it when I get bored at work - LOL I dont know if it helps with searching or not. It does help with Karma.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Thanks I do it when I get bored at work - LOL I dont know if it helps with searching or not. It does help with Karma.

Gratuitous karma - not quite what the masters had in mind.

Dan

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
4,600 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Johnson City, TN

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside