(Topic ID: 251365)

Why so much hate for the song Pinball Wizard?

By Dooskie

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMGP0424 (resized).jpg
    freeballin1 (resized).jpg
    IMGP0478 (resized).jpg
    efea7071119fd87668a69e79a9665975.400x354x1 (resized).jpg
    download36 (resized).jpg
    kars4kids (resized).jpg
    DDB (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 11.16.02 AM (resized).png
    Jedi mind trick..gif
    martina wagner 1978 (resized).jpg
    martina wagner 1980 Für Puppen zu alt - am Flipper bist Du der Größte (resized).jpg
    martina wagner.jpg
    1BDB9A1E-8152-43DC-A2FE-6977D44A23F6 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside.2019_OTTOgd_Tshirt2 (resized).jpg
    wizard (resized).jpg
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

So why do so many pinball enthusiasts hate the song Pinball Wizard? Even though it seems like any tv news story done about pinball has this song playing in the background, the song is a good song. Doesn't matter which version....The Who....Elton John.....Tenacious D.....and any number of other covers. They all sound great. So why the hate?

#2 4 years ago

I don't know if people actually hate the song as much as they hate the "pinball wizard" cliche you often hear when someone finds out you're into pinball.

I don't think Pinball Wizard makes my top 10 Who songs, but it's a good song.

#3 4 years ago

Some deaf, dumb and blind kid plays pinball way better than I can?
    That pisses me off.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

I don't know if people actually hate the song as much as they hate the "pinball wizard" cliche you often hear when someone finds out you're into pinball.

THIS!!

Every stinking time an acquaintance not in the hobby finds out I'm into pinball that exact cliche comes out......it does get old....

#5 4 years ago

Honestly, it is not that great of a song.

#7 4 years ago

Flame suit on...

The song sucks. It’s not even catchy in the slightest. It’s a disjointed mess.

I tried listening to it over Labor Day weekend and it’s just awful. But they also had a commercial for The Who at Fenway Park and I must admit, every song in the montage they played was pretty awful. They just don’t have a solid catalog. Talented, I’m sure. But their hits suck.

Also, yes it’s infuriating when any news or person outside hears about pinball and “pinball wizard” is the only association they can make.

#8 4 years ago

If someone asks me if I’m a pinball wizard, I cast a spell on them and walk away.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If someone asks me if I’m a pinball wizard, I cast a spell on them and walk away.

Yeah, but I've seen you play, you can get away with it........me, not so much!!

#10 4 years ago

I like the song...

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Yes.....I cringe every time I hear the song now. Everyone discovers you enjoy pinball...and the next thing you know, everyone sends you a link to the song, or you gives you a new nickname...like that person is sooooo clever.

Edit: Whats even better, is when you start getting pachinko "pinball" referrals for sale. "Hey, knew you liked pinball....thought you would like this...."

#12 4 years ago

For the same reasons actual nerds hate The Big Bang Theory.

#13 4 years ago

My eyes want to roll when someone’s over to play my pins and thinks they’re being very clever pulling out their phone and playing the song. It’s just like when I’m working tuning a piano and someone says “You can tune a piano, but you can’t tuna fish.” (I usually tell them, “REO Speedwagon”, and they don’t know what I’m talking about.)

#14 4 years ago

I still love the song, in part because "Tommy" (the album) was a seminal influence in my youth.

If someone asks me if I'm a pinball wizard, I just say "yes".

#15 4 years ago

People who hate it say so loudly and repeatedly. Those who don't rarely comment.

It's probably not as hated as you think.

#16 4 years ago

I hereby declare “Boris the Spider” to be the new pinball anthem.

#17 4 years ago

Yes, Always hated it. Same goes for Pac Man Fever

#18 4 years ago

As already pointed out it’s the cliche.....as people you meet find out you are into pinball they instantly call you or ask if you are a pinball wizard....co-workers are the worst.....then they find out you own one......and that leads to them asking how much does one cost and they would like to get one. I tell them good used machines are 3-5K and newer machines 5-15K. That usually bursts their bubble quick and ends that. Only a few out of well over a couple hundred have actually had CASH and were serious on buying a machine......I still love the reaction from people when you tell them how much games cost....that never gets old.

#19 4 years ago

It's the "I am your father." for people named Luke. I really don't mind it, I've just heard it so many times that it's more clever and original to those saying it then it is to me.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

wizard (resized).jpgwizard (resized).jpg
    #21 4 years ago

Love the song! But yes the term wizard gets overused.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I hereby declare “Boris the Spider” to be the new pinball anthem.

How about Boris the Spider for a new pinball machine?

#23 4 years ago

My wife and I used to work with a breed of Italian hunting dog called Spinone Italiano. I got really sick of people saying that Spinone (pronounced Spin-own-ee) sounded like an ice cream. Same thing here.

#24 4 years ago

double clicked

#25 4 years ago

I'm with the group of people indifferent to the song, but just hates the god damn cliché "you like pinball therefor you must A.) love that song B.) be a pinball wizard"

#26 4 years ago

The song is OK. I just get sick of reading articles where players are referred to as "pinball wizards." It's old.

#27 4 years ago

Ever since I was a young boy, I played the silver ball

From Brighton down to Soho, I must've played them all

Now try getting that unstuck from your head....

Love the song and it's great when it's on during a multi ball

#28 4 years ago

I don’t mind the ONE time question/joke from people- “Are you a Pinball Wizard?”

But the assholes who continuously call me “Pinball Wizard” get really old.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

If I had a dollar for everytime I fake laughed to the pinball wizard thing I could buy an L.E.

#30 4 years ago

It’s the “wizard” cliche that grinds my gears too.

The song is interesting in that it doesn’t really mean much or have an impact when taken on its own as a “hit” single, but in the context of the full album it’s a brilliant moment and crucial to the story.

#31 4 years ago

The Who's Pinball Wizard is a great tune, imho.

Heck, I almost hate to say it ... but I'm thinking of getting a t-shirt. It was made in the year I was born; '74.

You all just have to practice more and maybe you can wear the t-shirt too!
    Pinside.2019_OTTOgd_Tshirt2 (resized).jpgPinside.2019_OTTOgd_Tshirt2 (resized).jpg

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

The Who's Pinball Wizard is a great tune. I'm thinking of getting a Pinball Wizard t-shirt.

Sure. They make those T-shirts. They also make Cue-Ball Wizard T-shirts for guys who have gone bald.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Ever since I was a young boy, I played the silver ball
    From Brighton down to Soho, I must've played them all
    Now try getting that unstuck from your head....
    Love the song and it's great when it's on during a multi ball

I wish someone would redo the song and fix the shitty chorus. I love the verses to be honest. Like everything inbetween the chorus with the excellent guitar is pretty cool, but then they breakdown the flow of the song and in my opinion it’s not as good as the rest of it.

I’d rather hear Behind Blue Eyes, much better song.

#34 4 years ago

"Only reason I bought a Tommy so I could add a pinsound board, pinsound speakes and the additional Who music" quote the Pinball Lizard.
    Claasic Rock Pin and just a really cool pin in a larger size collection.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

For the same reasons actual nerds hate The Big Bang Theory.

Ive never understood how anyone can like that show. And im not a nerd like that haha.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Ive never understood how anyone can like that show. And im not a nerd like that haha.

That show sucks. Watched an episode and didn't find it funny.

Just saw this article pop up today:
    Be a pinball wizard: New arcade, skill games place opens in Waynesboro
    https://www.newsleader.com/story/news/2019/09/12/pinball-wizard-new-arcade-skill-games-place-opens-waynesboro/2262744001/

#37 4 years ago

"Pinball wizard, immortalized in The Who's classic song, is a cringe-inducing cliche for these players." Link below.

Indeed, if I had a dime for every time. . .

I imagine that surfers endure a similar pain when coworkers learn of their surfing hobby and crack a joke about the hit song: Wipe Out by The Surfaris. Cliche is the opposite of clever and never funny.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/news/features/associated-press/wanna-be-pinball-wizards-keep-the-silver-ball-rolling/

#38 4 years ago

Who cares.

#39 4 years ago

I’d be happy to never hear a Who song ever again. I feel that way towards many classic rock songs.

#40 4 years ago

What? No love!

1BDB9A1E-8152-43DC-A2FE-6977D44A23F6 (resized).jpeg1BDB9A1E-8152-43DC-A2FE-6977D44A23F6 (resized).jpeg
    #41 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I’d be happy to never hear a Who song ever again. I feel that way towards many classic rock songs.

Just a big Backstreet Boys fan or New Kids on the Block?

#42 4 years ago

The song is pretty catchy even if the lyrics are silly. It was very lucky for Bally as that one throw-away line in the song started them on the road to becoming #1.

The movie Tommy, however, is so aggressively bad that it is unwatchable unless you are deep into some serious mind altering substances. I watched it a few years back and although I really, really tried, I just couldn't make it all the way through to the end. What a load of crap...

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Just a big Backstreet Boys fan or New Kids on the Block?

Yes, because I’m gay. that is your brilliant joke, right?

Guys that critique what other people choose to listen or not listen to, have issues.

I’m interested in listening to new music and not rehashing the past. If you wanna hear the same songs over and over again, cool.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

You don’t even like “squeeze box”?

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I like the song...

I really can't stand The Who's music (not sure why, just not a fan at all, although one song I can endure is "Bargain"), but I actually kind of like this rendition.

#47 4 years ago

I never heard of anyone not liking this song, even non pinball players like this song.

I crank it up every time I hear it. But then, I am also a guitar player so my opinion might be a little biased.

It peaked at #4 on the UK charts, so apparently a lot of people liked it.

#48 4 years ago

I prefer to be called a “pinball gigilo”

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I never heard of anyone not liking this song, even non pinball players like this song.

Evidently, there are pinball people here that are not great fans of the song. To each their own.

#50 4 years ago

I always associate it with people people patronizing me and making it seem like I'm immature. The "oh so your a pinball wizard just like that Who song and you have no life because your really good at pinball because you spend all your time at a kiddy arcade". This leads to "arcades have lots of kids....didn't you grow up....are you a pedo".

No I just happen to like pinball, fixing them, the artwork, etc. I still watch football, drink beer and do other "adult" stuff. It's that patronizing element that grinds my gears. Then que the news anchor trying to play. They flail a bit and watch the ball go to the center and give up and roll their eyes and just say "well you know what your doing because you clearly have no life pinball wizard". I mean this is the epitome of it:

I must say though recently it has been getting much better. This came out 3 years ago:

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-so-much-hate-for-the-song-pinball-wizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.