Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MMP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_9235.JPG
download.jpg
FT tomdotcom-350.jpg

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago

Ranked # 38 out of 286 machines on Pinside.

I would say a lot more love than hate.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think that's pretty much the case with any game! First impression on a bad machine will turn you off to a sweet game.

Very true.

Weirdly, though, I had the opposite experience with Congo; played a nice clean one first that's the envy of a lot of local guys, and hated it. I was having bad game after bad game and couldn't get into it. Played a really messed up one on the road once with a few friends and got into it. Came back and played the first one again and loved it.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

I find it frustrating. I am not going to hate on the game but it just has low ball times.

Don't miss shots!

But seriously, game is pretty fun. It's awesome to slam the boat ramp 4-6 times in a row

#54 5 years ago

Has anyone removed the lightning flippers. If I understand correctly the game was not originally designed to have these.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

No hate here the one pin I owned the longest

Fess up, how long was that?

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Fess up, how long was that?

at least 6 or 7 years that's 20 years for most lol

#57 5 years ago

FT rocks! theme + music + pf layout = fun/longevity IMHO, its the best 90s DMD era title. I mean, come on - Who doesn't like to shoot that Monster Fish shot and hit it for 20 million?

Mine is never leaving the collection!

#58 5 years ago

I don't see any ps hate for ft. I liked ft when I had it. I still get flack from my daughter for selling mine.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from shanetastic:

I can't help but doing a little redneck dance every time the ball drains.

I must being doing the same dance when I drain. Its the quirky music. ahahahh. I love my Fish Tales.

#60 5 years ago

I like the game but not the music. Just grates on me. So I play it when I can, but I wouldn't buy it.

#61 5 years ago

Mine is going nowhere...

I need to find the time to re-decal the cabinet.

#62 5 years ago

We just took our Fish Tales parts to the powdercoater today!
I cannot wait to get our game back together, really been missing it.
Lots have come and gone, but FT remains... what a brutal , hurry-up of a pin! Such satisfying Jackpots and Super Jackpots.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Peppers:

Fish tales appears to be a very polarizing game, you either love it or hate it. If I could make more of the shots consistently, I would love it. But why do people despise this game so much? Can't be the awesome music, is it the topper?? Out of whack super jackpot scores?
Poor lil game, someone still loves ya, even if I can't make all the shots.

There are always people who won't like a game. But I think Fish Tales has been considered a B-list game for many years.

As for the shots, if you do have the proper lightening flippers on the game it can throw you off and take some getting use to.

#64 5 years ago

Love mine! And it's my girlfriend's all time fav.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Its a keeper in my collection.
"Got one under eh"

Keeper for me too. But I believe he says "Got one on there, eh"

#66 5 years ago

It is a great game. There is much more than hitting the center boat ramp. Read the rules! I have disabled the fish topper as it got on my nerves.

#67 5 years ago

"You gonna eat that?"

Another great feature about Fish Tales is the first shot off the ball launch.

My FT is setup with a steep slope with lightning flippers and yesterday I hit a triple Long Cast into a Fast Cast off the launch. It was pretty damn cool as I could barely see the ball flying around the playfield and hitting those shots off of the launch is a huge help to progress through the game. I have always loved games with that outer looping shot that you can hit consecutively. Getaway, AFM, etc…

FT isn't going anywhere soon… I hope someone make some new plastics for it, the prices are ridiculous!

If someone has a plastic set they are willing to sell, please PM me. Thanks.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

"You gonna eat that?"
Another great feature about Fish Tales is the first shot off the ball launch.
My FT is setup with a steep slope with lightning flippers and yesterday I hit a triple Long Cast into a Fast Cast off the launch. It was pretty damn cool as I could barely see the ball flying around the playfield and hitting those shots off of the launch is a huge help to progress through the game. I have always loved games with that outer looping shot that you can hit consecutively. Getaway, AFM, etc…
FT isn't going anywhere soon… I hope someone make some new plastics for it, the prices are ridiculous!
If someone has a plastic set they are willing to sell, please PM me. Thanks.

I am glad to see another one around the Seattle area, the one I used to play on location is gone.

#69 5 years ago

Whysnow in Madison has a very nice FT that I've played a few times, always love playing it - it's a lot of fun.

#70 5 years ago

My favorite pinball place near me is the Seattle pinball museum, it is a great place with about 45ish games that Charlie and Cindy rotate through, but Charlie has no love for the fish tail =( I need to go on a hunt to find one to buy or at least one to visit time to time.

#71 5 years ago

I am not a fan. for some reason always wanted more to do in the game than whats there.

#72 5 years ago

I had one, cleaned it up real nice, and then played it for a few weeks. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough after that. The game bored me to tears as I found the boat ramp far too easy to hit and none of the other shots really felt all that great to me. The music is pretty bad as well, and that never helps a game's case.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

I hit a triple Long Cast into a Fast Cast off the launch. It was pretty damn cool as I could barely see the ball flying around the playfield and hitting those shots off of the launch is a huge help to progress through the game. I have always loved games with that outer looping shot that you can hit consecutively.

I'd agree that is a very fun looping shot. While it's more difficult to get things looping, when done back to back it's almost as fast as Johnny Mnemonic.

Quoted from tomdotcom:

I think the game is awesome, but it's a bit shallow, because going for the SUPER JACKPOT is the only strategy for sick scores....

This is very true. Although, it's extreamly difficult for casual players. I've owned the game for a few years and still rarely complete the tacklebox. Most of my high scores come off of the traditional boat ramp to monster fish strategy.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Has anyone removed the lightning flippers. If I understand correctly the game was not originally designed to have these.

I had one with lightning flippers and I found it to be pretty much an asskicker. They also had one at the arcade at the same time with regular flippers and the shots were much easier. Specifically the caster's club and monster fish shots were night and day different.

#75 5 years ago

I just finished building one up this weekend and really like it. The only other one I played - I was meh about - probably because it was dirty and super slow.

#76 5 years ago

Hell of a bump, but I recall Josh Blood on Pinball Soul saying he copped it for owning/loving his FT. I can't remember which other podcast said something about it, may have been either Pinball Podcast or Gameroom Junkies, but the two guys basically agreed with each other on their feelings of it when it was mentioned in passing for whatever reason.

Personally, it'd been a while since I'd played one but I found one on location coincidentally at roughly the same time it was announced for Pinball Arcade. So I'm on the lookout for one now, because I've been trying to think of a simple-ish DMD game that's not too complicated and it fits the bill perfectly. Not too "blokey" either and can see there being appeal for non-pinheads because hey, everyone likes to poke fun at people who like fishing

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I had the chance to chat with Python about that and he told me to "tear those damn things off and throw them out, It wasn't designed for them, williams just threw them on for shorter ball times for the op's."
That said, I still have the lightning flippers on mine as I'm kinda a purist, but then hey, if Python designed it without them, then maybe from a purist point of veiw it would be ok?
Dunno, kinda like them, makes it more challenging.

#78 5 years ago

Thinking of putting in green bats w/yellow bands

2 months later
#79 5 years ago

Is this game supposed to have 3 or 4 balls installed ? Thanks

#80 5 years ago

Would someone holding all this hate for FT please contact me. I'd be happy to buy your pin.

I played Hiltons (Whysnow) FT at the MGC last year and was hooked. There was one on route in my area, but like many routed pins, it was non-operational more than it was working.

Without a doubt, one will be in my rec room some day.

#81 5 years ago

Anyone who hates on FT has unlikely played a good condition one. It is a great game and just plain F U N!

#82 5 years ago

FT IMO is a great game. It has its issues though... it's not a good game for competition since the "money shot" is basically the boat ramp over and over. Ironically, you can score more points easier not doing multi-ball, and the reward for telling a tale isn't worth the risk. The scoring is unbalanced in that respect. Given that, the game is a lot of fun to play, a classic theme, has great humor and music and wonderful artwork by Python.

The credit animation of a fish playing a drumset is hilarious, and the video mode is also regarded as one of the best video modes in pinball.

#83 5 years ago

Its the game that stayed the longest in my collection. Fun as hell. A blast to hit the boat shot when its totally lit. Video mode is great as well.

#84 5 years ago

Game is a lot of fun.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Anyone who hates on FT has unlikely played a good condition one. It is a great game and just plain F U N!

Nah, it's a weak game, even in perfect condition. Terribly unbalanced scoring, really annoying music, and just devoid of satisfying shots (how many times can one combo that dang boat anyway?). For the price you pay for one, there's easily 100 other games that are better in the same or lower price range.

I had mine, got it all polished up and nice, and then quickly realized that it was a poor fit for a long stay in a collection. I think I enjoyed it for all of a week before it wore thin on me. My wife liked it for maybe a couple of days and quickly started to ignore it.

#86 5 years ago

I love FT completely, and I'd never replace the lightning flippers. I think the game has great flow with the Mark Richie crossovers. Great light and sound package too. No hate here, ever.

Then again I can't be annoyed by the topper as it won't fit in my basement...

#87 5 years ago

Love it such great flow fish flapping what's not to love!!!!

#88 5 years ago

theme/difficulty/lack of depth

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Game is a lot of fun.

great, i'll have to fight you and Ken to get one if one ever shows up around here. Or do you already have one?

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Nah, it's a weak game, even in perfect condition. Terribly unbalanced scoring, really annoying music, and just devoid of satisfying shots (how many times can one combo that dang boat anyway?). For the price you pay for one, there's easily 100 other games that are better in the same or lower price range.
I had mine, got it all polished up and nice, and then quickly realized that it was a poor fit for a long stay in a collection. I think I enjoyed it for all of a week before it wore thin on me. My wife liked it for maybe a couple of days and quickly started to ignore it.

You're in the minority here.

#91 5 years ago

download.jpg

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

great, i'll have to fight you and Ken to get one if one ever shows up around here. Or do you already have one?

You don't have to fight Tom

Ken is all talk

If you are serious, I will start helping to find you one. Just LMK.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

You're in the minority here.

Give everybody $2,000 and see how many come back with Fish Tales.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I already have one. No worries.

#95 5 years ago

with 2K the only reason I wouldn't get a FT is because I have one. Love the game.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Give everybody $2,000 and see how many come back with Fish Tales.

Well, they may have to hunt for a while since the majority of FT go for more than 2k...

Avg price of the 19 that sold on ebay in 2013 was 2,408...

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I already have one. No worries.

i'm shocked.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Well, they may have to hunt for a while since the majority of FT go for more than 2k...
Avg price of the 19 that sold on ebay in 2013 was 2,408...

Well, that's just extra silly.

#99 5 years ago

I don't see how the scoring is so unbalanced. Monster fish starts at 20 Mill, boat rocks are all 10 mill, feeding frenzy is 5 mill per fish, is the last one 20 mill? Yes, super jackpot will get you big points, but isn't that the idea of a super jackpot?

I think I've gotten super jackpot maybe 3 times in the 2 years I've owned mine. Maybe I just suck.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

I don't see how the scoring is so unbalanced. Monster fish starts at 20 Mill, boat rocks are all 10 mill, feeding frenzy is 5 mill per fish, is the last one 20 mill? Yes, super jackpot will get you big points, but isn't that the idea of a super jackpot?
I think I've gotten super jackpot maybe 3 times in the 2 years I've owned mine. Maybe I just suck.

After only a couple of weeks I was already abusing the scoring, and there's a good reason you don't see it in tournament play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside