Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by MMP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_9235.JPG
download.jpg
FT tomdotcom-350.jpg

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

Fish tales appears to be a very polarizing game, you either love it or hate it. If I could make more of the shots consistently, I would love it. But why do people despise this game so much? Can't be the awesome music, is it the topper?? Out of whack super jackpot scores?

Poor lil game, someone still loves ya, even if I can't make all the shots.

#2 5 years ago

Some games are just that way....FT gets a lot of love on here too

#3 5 years ago

Hmm. I've never seen even a little hate for this game.

#4 5 years ago

It's about time for neo to chime in and call it shit tales.

#5 5 years ago

Great, challenging gameā€¦"Rock the boat"!

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

It's about time for neo to chime in and call it shit tales.

LOL, too true. I myself however like it. The first few times I played it I really wasn't a fan of the criss-crossing boat ramp and wireforms and how much area they took up, but now I've grown to like it due to the boat ramp and criss crossing wireforms, as it's different from anything else in my collection. It's on my buy list if I can ever find one with a colorful cabinet and decent playfield (at a time when I have money to buy).

#7 5 years ago

I'm on the lookout for a nice one. So anyone not feeling the fish love can contact me.

#8 5 years ago

I don't care for it.

I don't care for the boat ramp, honestly. It doesn't feel all that good to hit.

The music probably plays into my feelings about it too...

I play it on location whenever I see it, though.

#9 5 years ago

Its a keeper in my collection.

"Got one under eh"

#10 5 years ago

Waiting for Neo

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Hmm. I've never seen even a little hate for this game.

Me either, or missed it

#12 5 years ago

General selling prices seem to indicate that people pretty much like it.

#13 5 years ago

Love it.

#14 5 years ago

I find it frustrating. I am not going to hate on the game but it just has low ball times.

#15 5 years ago

Did not like mine at first but now I love it. It does get me mad sometimes.

#16 5 years ago

FT rocks the boat.

#17 5 years ago

Family favorite ,game has good flow if set up right . I have mine set up a little softer ,removed lighting flippers,out lane post at bottom position . There's one at local arcade but nobody plays it I don't understand why operators set games with back leg leveler sat max then weak flippers and outpost wide open equals short ball times ,no fun and nobody putting there money in that game

#18 5 years ago

It's got a special place with me because it frustrated the hell out of me as a kid, game is actually quite hard. It drove me to own one and now it won't be leaving, it's a unique theme that isn't ruined by having to be licensed with a new movie or band or whatever like what comes out now....

#19 5 years ago

I like to play it, but not one I would consider owning.

That being said, looking for a decent players FT on the West Coast for my uncle, who really likes the game.

#20 5 years ago

the only thing I don't like about FT is the topper I put a small switch to turn off the fishs tale

#21 5 years ago

Its a challenging game (with lightning flippers) but I find it a bit boring and unsatisfying most days. Either boat ramp all day, which I find I lose interest in after one monster catch, or MB all day and the casters club can be a love/hate shot depending on the machine. The rest of the game isn't horribly rewarding or satisfying - although the video mode is a rare instance of one I chuckle at every time.

#22 5 years ago

It is one of the more simplistic DMD games in my opinion. Its not very deep. That being said its a TON of fun. Some great ways to stack, a unique play field and the art is amazing.

#23 5 years ago

I always hated it on theme alone, and I like to fish so I don't know why. One day I actually played one that worked half decent and it is a boatload of fun! I just threw up in my mouth a little.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Did not like mine at first but now I love it. It does get me mad sometimes.

This is why. It's meant to generate revenue in its era. Drains easily with the lightning flippers.

I like the pin, but the music is the worst.

#25 5 years ago

The only thing I actually like about the game is the fact that it is very difficult with the proper lightning flippers on it. It is a one shot goal/game. I've played it a few hundred times and it's not horrible but there are WAY better pinball games from the exact same time period like WH20 and Getaway:HS2. You can probably find a HS2 for less than a FT these days and it is a way better game.

#26 5 years ago

I don't think its that bad of a game...problem is, we are getting older and so are those games....newer titles are making these 90's non-A list DMD games look dated

#27 5 years ago

It is a challenging pin, and that is why I love it. Very understandable rule set, but difficult to achieve. I love the art, music, and theme. This pin was made for me, I guess. I can't help but doing a little redneck dance every time the ball drains. I can't even begin to understand hate for a crazy cartoon fishing theme. But on the other hand, I can't understand the love for ACDC... the band or the pin. Oh well. We all perceive things differently.

...actually FT and IM get the most play from guests at my house. Whirlwind and TZ never get touched, and TAF gets rare play.

#28 5 years ago

I think FT is a great game. It's definitely on my shortlist.

#29 5 years ago

It seems to be what I call a "Short Playfield Game". The ball tends to stay near the bottom (at least when I play it). Another reason I don't like it is that Python Anghelo originally thought of the game and it was pulled from him and completed without his input. I've seen the original artwork and concepts for it and it would have been a lot different.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Its a keeper in my collection.
"Got one under eh"

I believe it's "Got one on there eh?"

#31 5 years ago

The game is difficult, but just so satifying when you hit your fast casts to obtain multiball, or boat ramps to get monster fishes, etc... Great risk/reward parts in the game, I am not big on theme cause I don't fish but it is a fun game to play, thou not sure if I would want it in my personal collection, but for some reason whenever I am at friends houses I am drawn to that game

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

It seems to be what I call a "Short Playfield Game". The ball tends to stay near the bottom (at least when I play it). Another reason I don't like it is that Python Anghelo originally thought of the game and it was pulled from him and completed without his input. I've seen the original artwork and concepts for it and it would have been a lot different.

Do you have a link to the original concept art for it? I'd never heard about that or seen it.

#33 5 years ago

No hate here. I love Fish Tales. It's one of the few games that I would think that I would despise on theme alone. But it's is super fun.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

This is why. It's meant to generate revenue in its era. Drains easily with the lightning flippers.
I like the pin, but the music is the worst.

Nah! The music growwwwwwwsssssss on you! Lol. Seriously. I hated it once too, but the original score of this game is amazing. If anything, I think it may be grating to some because it's a little too tinny, so Ima throw a sub under mine and see what's what.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Nah! The music growwwwwwwsssssss on you! Lol. Seriously. I hated it once too, but the original score of this game is amazing. If anything, I think it may be grating to some because it's a little too tinny, so Ima throw a sub under mine and see what's what.

Yeah that's how I felt too...too shrill and rednecky - but the gameplay is great and the music grew on me. The other music is far more catchy than the main music...Multiball, Rock the Boat, etc.

The only person who hates Fish Tales is Neo. He also hates paying more than $6k for a game, if you hadn't read his 50,000 posts on either topic.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Do you have a link to the original concept art for it? I'd never heard about that or seen it.

If my memory is correct, this info appeared in an article in Pin Game Journal, back when Clay was helping out. It was pretty cool to see. Actually, the entire article had a lot of interesting Python related stuff.

#37 5 years ago

Maybe the op should explain where he is hearing all this hate, because obviously it ain't here

#38 5 years ago

Totally enjoy mine, how bout you NEO

#39 5 years ago

For some reason, I never get tired of reading what Neo has to say about Fish Tales. I was really looking forward to him chiming in here.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Turboderf:

the only thing I don't like about FT is the topper I put a small switch to turn off the fishs tale

Alternatively, consider placing a 5/16" ring on the bell part of the armature.

Or put a post rubber over the plunger and roll it down to the base and reassemble.

Some people report being happy with the quietening results.

Depends on your personal flap tolerance.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah that's how I felt too...too shrill and rednecky - but the gameplay is great and the music grew on me. The other music is far more catchy than the main music...Multiball, Rock the Boat, etc.
The only person who hates Fish Tales is Neo. He also hates paying more than $6k for a game, if you hadn't read his 50,000 posts on either topic.

So there's someone who LIKES paying 6K for a game?

I need to look back at his posts on FT. Haven't seen them.

#42 5 years ago

I honestly dont like it, and im a fisherman so its not the theme. But in all fairness I would need to play more games before it goes on my "never own" list. Perhaps I have just not played one that is dialed in properly.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I honestly dont like it, and im a fisherman

For me its the only part of fishing I like.

Except maybe serving up a little with a good white wine

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I honestly dont like it, and im a fisherman so its not the theme. But in all fairness I would need to play more games before it goes on my "never own" list. Perhaps I have just not played one that is dialed in properly.

I am a fisherman to, but honestly - this game kicks my ass when on location. It wouldn't stop me from owning one someday.

#45 5 years ago

You need to get to the SUPER jackpot round to really get the full effect of the game. Most mortals can NOT do that haha...

I think the game is awesome, but it's a bit shallow, because going for the SUPER JACKPOT is the only strategy for sick scores...

I'd own one again in a heartbeat...

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hey now, that's not fair. At least 25,000 of those posts were from before AC/DC when he wouldn't even pay $6k.

#47 5 years ago

Need to post my alltime highscore in every FT thread Because who else in the "real" world cares? ahah

FT tomdotcom-350.jpg

#48 5 years ago

I didn't like the game until I played Mike Schudel's. His was the first that I played that was shopped and everything working the way it was supposed to. It totally changed my mind and at that point (several years ago), it went from meh, to I gotta get me one of those!

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

I didn't like the game until I played Mike Schudel's. His was the first that I played that was shopped and everything working the way it was supposed to. It totally changed my mind and at that point (several years ago), it went from meh, to I gotta get me one of those!

I think that's pretty much the case with any game! First impression on a bad machine will turn you off to a sweet game.

#50 5 years ago

No hate here the one pin I owned the longest

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hackettstown, NJ
$ 399.95
There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside