Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WS2811_5mm (resized).jpg
    b89a63f139e95101d5bab7ca004949e3b057cac4 (resized).jpg
    imgres (resized).jpg
    images-1 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    Motorplex_Arial3_1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Why not mill four groves into the bottom of the playfield, two for low voltage (+ -) and two for higher voltage needs.
    Spray the groves with plastic liner for safety and zero risk of leakage.
    Maybe it´s even plausable to have just two groves (i dont know the possible wattage-outtake from bumpers etc during for example a multiball)

What happens when you need to install a sling shot assembly, or any other under-play field part and one of the mounting screws will land in the middle of one of the grooves? In other words, how would it be possible to cut grooves into the play field and not have interference problems with all of the play field parts?

Where would the grooves be located? Along one side of the play field? Or would they be located in the middle of the play field?

Quoted from Dr-pin:

Where energy is needed get it from the groves.
    This means you will have a total of two wires, and connectors locally to the groves and that´s it.

Assume you place the grooves along the right hand side of the play field. And over in the upper left of the play field, there is a vertical up kicker. How are going to connect the VUK to something in the groove that is on the opposite side of the play field ?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

You design the playfield with their location in mind...that seems self explanatory. The metal trough wouldn't have to be a straight line

Oh, so now we are talking about "the" metal trough? Where did that come from? Why does there need to be a metal trough instead of just some grooves cut into the underside of the play field?

When I think of a play field, I see two flippers and maybe three. Two sling shots. A VUK. Maybe a saucer, or two. Several rollover switches with at least four rollovers associated with just the inlanes/outlanes. 2 or 3 pop bumpers. Not to mention all of the lights all over the place.

When you say "the metal trough wouldn't have to be in a straight line", I see grooves cut into a piece of plywood that winds around chasing all of the parts on the play field. Grooves that do a good job of weakening the integrity and strength of the ply wood play field.

And now, the play field designer, while still trying to figure out where he/she is going to place all of the parts on top of the play field, now has to figure out how he is going to route the grooves, as well? Like, "damn, I can't make a groove work in this spot so I guess I will need to relocate a couple of pops so they will work with the groove".

When you say "the metal trough wouldn't have to be in a straight line", I see this.

Motorplex_Arial3_1 (resized).jpgMotorplex_Arial3_1 (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpgimages-1 (resized).jpgimages-1 (resized).jpg

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Warping is a point, but How much would it cost to add a quarter of an inch to a playfield? 50 dollar? 20 dollar?

Maybe the 50 dollar /20 dollar extra you toss out could be paid for with savings in amount of wire used. But now you have a thicker play field. This means re-engineering new flippers with longer shafts, it means the LEDs will have a longer "reach" before they can shine light under the inserts.

Maybe what you are thinking about would work. Maybe not. But it would not just be a light bulb moment and, " Hey, this is what we are going to start doing. We don't need to research it. Let's just go ahead and set the line up for a new configuration."

What you are talking would require much engineering research for cost advantages, assembly line advantages, and a whole host of a lot of other items you have not even considered.

I think what you are talking would amount to a whole lot of extra work for much not very much gain.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

It's a Great compliment When a suggestion that would result in easier construction, repairability and prolongered life, result in....
    "that would maybe require a quarter of an inch longer nuts"

Keep digging !

imgres (resized).jpgimgres (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-so-many-wires?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.