(Topic ID: 313265)

Why so many JJP GNR's for sale? Is it that bad?

By adamsebas

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 447 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20220507022216 (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
why so many 3 (resized).JPG
why so many 2 (resized).JPG
why so many (resized).JPG
20220416_152854 (resized).jpg
20220416_155611 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 10.00.07 AM (resized).png
IMG20220416041220 (resized).jpg
B36D2B6D-EA05-49E6-AE90-8520F3C40EF1 (resized).jpeg
5 (resized).jpg
giphy.gif
show (resized).jpg
B944A19C-67A8-4A62-A6E7-DC99CFC08A0C.gif
Screenshot_20220411-115822_Messages.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#85 2 years ago

GNR is Not the GOAT, and If you think it is you’re kidding yourself. It definitely doesn’t play very well out of the box, and JJP really needs to focus some R&D on their flipper alignment, mechs, power, etc…

That said, droop the flippers (like sterns), adjust the flipper power, get a good pitch (6.9-7.1), adjust the booster mb difficulty +1each, dial in the shots, increase the powerchord timer, and you’ll find quite a gem inside GNR, a pretty amazing one at that. Fun and amazing shots, combos, fun upper looping shot, one of the coolest deadpol’esk whirly do shots (center spinner through the pops to lanes), one of the best mini pf’s in pinball, and a lot of different things to go for and try. The 2 biggest cons of the game is slash solo (cool mode but really needs to be stackable with other game modes), and the game really shines at the 20+ minute style games which is Keefers staple. But holy hell is it a risk/reward - Adrenalin seeker wet dream.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but the ones that get it, get it.

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

"One of the best mini pf's in pinball"???????
Starting my Sunday with a good laugh, thankyou.

Most mini pf’s are a gimmick. GNR is quick, not a grind, integrated very well. So Yes, one of the best, not the best, but one of them.

Quoted from jawjaw:

There is just something wrong with any game where you have to do all that just to enjoy it. You have to start out with the peemise that it's a great game and fugure out how to unlock it's potential. Meanwhile someone like me steps up to a random game not knowing what to expect and tries it out. It plays terrible so you walk away with a negative experience.

It’s not just GNR, it’s all JJP’s. My WOZ was the same way. Had friends and people telling me how horrible that game was, why buy, etc….I still took the chance and found out, It too is a freakin master piece - just needs love to get dialed in right. But yes, I agree that’s a problem and as I mentioned, something JJP really needs to focus their R&D attention to for future.

#153 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

GNR is one of the most beautiful snoozefests you can play.

10+ mil power chord jackpots
25-100+ applause jackpots
Encores, frenzies, 4-stack multiballs
50+ Mil album completions
Loops, combos, tough to survive outlanes.
And of course, rock n roll!

GNR is an adrenaline junkie chasing type of game. If that’s a snooze fest, then I must be missing something.

The rush is real, despite popular belief.
80639033-F571-4DEE-9426-0C5278FA5AEE.gif80639033-F571-4DEE-9426-0C5278FA5AEE.gif

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

When I first played GNR I also thought it was multi ball heavy and was going to make adjustments to " fix it ", BUT after owning it , once you get those first multi balls , they get harder and harder to get and if you don't lock balls before a song you have to work for extra balls by hitting the scoop . I now think the balance is just right .

Nailed it.
To add to this - If you notice, most the software settings are on extra easy. Bump each booster multiball +1 difficulty, and increase the powerchord hold timer and the multiball might actually be less than most other recent modern pins.

#280 2 years ago
Quoted from Jack8765:

Haven’t had the pleasure of owning those, but some are on my wishlist. GNR LE available for less than each game on either list. Much less in some cases. And I think that’s great for prospective owners. It’s a great game.

Agree with a lot of what you’ve said with your past posts. I got GNR and JP Prem roughly around the same time period. And While everything about JP seems so cool (code, layout, toys, etc…), it just didn’t do it for me. There’s just something about GNR that gets my blood and Adrenalin flowing. All things said, that’s pinball - we all have different tastes and scratch our pinball itches in different ways. Some people can’t stand that others enjoy games they don’t like, it’s so addictively bad it’s almost worse than the hobby itself

2 weeks later
#345 1 year ago

Re: scoring imbalance and dependability of the applause jackpot:

By default, The game is set to extra easy almost everywhere in the settings which heavily favors songs and applause jackpot scoring. If you want a different experience and other strategies. Try these settings. Your song scoring will be substantially cut with even more room to decrease them if desired, with all the other modes increased scoring. The game definitely needs polish but playing the settings helps a lot for balance and opening up new strategies.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-jjp-gnr-thread/page/427#post-6895594

That said, I don’t know what it is about this game but I’ve had it 1 1/2 years and it always gets my blood flowing - just pure fun IMO that can have some typical pinball risk/reward frustrations.

My biggest complaint on the game is slash solo is an absolute stinker. Most worthless mode in all of pinball. Don’t get me wrong, it’s actually a really cool mode but the implementation is the worst *cough* Keefer *cough* time to make it stackable with the rest of the game (minus songs).

#357 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stranger things is 100% due to code development. There was literally nothing there at launch. Very basic and got old very fast. Monthly updates for over a year got it to its desired state. Also, most people only played it once or twice before covid hit. Then nothing for a year to 2 years. That bad first impression stuck.
GNR can be 100% saved by code updates, but it’s not gonna happen.

I’m not saying GNR doesn’t need a code update. But adjusting settings really balances the scoring and strategies - which unfortunately isn’t an option for location players. Hopefully tourny directors that use the game dial up the difficulty settings on individual songs while reducing album mode qualifying timer which increases album scoring, decreases song jackpots, and makes add a balls harder to get in a song. That simple adjustment goes a long way. Slash solo is still a stinker unfortunately, but even if can be adjusted to make harder to qualify.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,400 (OBO)
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Purcellville, VA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 210.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mohawk, NY
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,000.00
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-so-many-jjp-gnr-s-for-sale-is-it-that-bad?tu=Eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.