(Topic ID: 313265)

Why so many JJP GNR's for sale? Is it that bad?

By adamsebas

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 447 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by PinFever
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20220507022216 (resized).jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
why so many 3 (resized).JPG
why so many 2 (resized).JPG
why so many (resized).JPG
20220416_152854 (resized).jpg
20220416_155611 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 10.00.07 AM (resized).png
IMG20220416041220 (resized).jpg
B36D2B6D-EA05-49E6-AE90-8520F3C40EF1 (resized).jpeg
5 (resized).jpg
giphy.gif
show (resized).jpg
B944A19C-67A8-4A62-A6E7-DC99CFC08A0C.gif
Screenshot_20220411-115822_Messages.jpg
There are 447 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
#151 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My brother did the same. Weird.

I don't have a brother

#152 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My brother did the same. Weird.

Reports aren't looking well

Screenshot_20220411-115822_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20220411-115822_Messages.jpg
#153 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

GNR is one of the most beautiful snoozefests you can play.

10+ mil power chord jackpots
25-100+ applause jackpots
Encores, frenzies, 4-stack multiballs
50+ Mil album completions
Loops, combos, tough to survive outlanes.
And of course, rock n roll!

GNR is an adrenaline junkie chasing type of game. If that’s a snooze fest, then I must be missing something.

The rush is real, despite popular belief.
80639033-F571-4DEE-9426-0C5278FA5AEE.gif80639033-F571-4DEE-9426-0C5278FA5AEE.gif

#154 2 years ago

I think the rush is more like your gif.

#155 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

False Despite not loving GNRLE, it's way better than Ultraman (the game I traded for it).

Guess I should have used this:

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

When I first played GNR I also thought it was multi ball heavy and was going to make adjustments to " fix it ", BUT after owning it , once you get those first multi balls , they get harder and harder to get and if you don't lock balls before a song you have to work for extra balls by hitting the scoop . I now think the balance is just right .

Nailed it.
To add to this - If you notice, most the software settings are on extra easy. Bump each booster multiball +1 difficulty, and increase the powerchord hold timer and the multiball might actually be less than most other recent modern pins.

#157 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Reports aren't looking well[quoted image]

I don't get the hate for AP either, owned every one of there games except for LOV and enjoyed them all.

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The rush is real.

B944A19C-67A8-4A62-A6E7-DC99CFC08A0C.gifB944A19C-67A8-4A62-A6E7-DC99CFC08A0C.gif
#159 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So it would be ok for someone to create a "Why so many Ultraman's for sale well under list price, is it that bad"?.

Someone could but I think a hundred FS adds selling for less then they paid sums it up pretty well.

#160 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Someone could but I think a hundred FS adds selling for less then they paid sums it up pretty well.

Kind of a shame.Spooky got a brand upgrade with R&M!When I saw the upper horizontal playfield lighting wtf

#161 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

show (resized).jpgshow (resized).jpg
#163 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My brother texted me yesterday and said it may be worse than thundbirds.

Good luck getting an honest opinion thread going around latest Spooky titles.

#164 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If I wanted endless multiball, I would have kept Spring Break.
Its a very pretty pin with great lightshow and sound, the gameplay is not to my taste. [quoted image]

She's a beaut.

#165 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Yeah it is sad. Spooky nation just defends them no matter what and everyone that doesn't care for a title is a hater bashing it.
But enough aboot them let's get back to JJP folks. Oh wait!

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah it is sad. Spooky nation just defends them no matter what and everyone that doesn't care for a title is a hater bashing it.

A-?

#167 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Nailed it.
To add to this - If you notice, most the software settings are on extra easy. Bump each booster multiball +1 difficulty, and increase the powerchord hold timer and the multiball might actually be less than most other recent modern pins.

I agree with the settings comment but you got realize most the people that complain that this pin is just a free multiball game probably wouldn’t know where those settings are. It kind of amuses me when people chop a game down when they haven’t even tried to change anything from the factory(physical or code wise) to get the game to play best as possible. All games from all manufacturers need adjustments if you want to get the most fun out of them… but that sometimes means you have to roll your selves up and get your hands dirty.

#168 2 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

I agree with the settings comment but you got realize most the people that complain that this pin is just a free multiball game probably wouldn’t know where those settings are. It kind of amuses me when people chop a game down when they haven’t even tried to change anything from the factory(physical or code wise) to get the game to play best as possible.

I'm expected to walk in a barcade and demand changes to a pin to suit my tastes? Good luck with that.

#169 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A quick refresher...I'm sure you'll note all of the games mentioned were complete flops that nobody wants and were sold off at bargain prices...

impressive bit of pinside research. Maybe you could offer such services for a nominal fee…

#170 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm expected to walk in a barcade and demand changes to a pin to suit my tastes? Good luck with that.

No not expected…but it doesn’t hurt to ask who knows the op might be cool.

#171 2 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

No not expected…but it doesn’t hurt to ask who knows the op might be cool.

How about I just move to the next pin in line since my time is limited.

#172 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

They're very polarizing. More than I've ever seen in this hobby. I mean, I've played EVERYTHING and I'd like to think I know a shitty game when I play one - and the way people are acting as though Ultraman causes cancer is a bit bizarre. I really enjoy mine. I think people are just so used to Stern (mostly Elwin) just KILLING it lately...and yeah, Ultraman is nowhere close to the greatness of JP, GZ and Stern's recent games.

Is it weird? Yes.
Will non-stop flow-only addicts hate it? Yes.
Were 4 scoops & and an upper playfield hole that deliver the ball to an inlane elevator a stupid design decision? Yes.

That being said, I really like where the current code is & the modes/goals are super fun. The monster "Dada" has one of the coolest modes ever...really fun. The music/visuals are campy and fun like a Japanese Batman'66. The light FX are awesome and creative. Still has some bugs & some things to work out...but I'm really enjoying it where it's at, so - I'm not worried. If people don't like the game, that's cool...but for those who haven't played it - make up your own mind vs. listening to the people who want to smash it with a sledgehammer

#173 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I literally started "the next Spooky Pin" thread so here goes. TNA is awesome, Rick and Morty is amazing, Haloween and Ultraman are loaded and innovative games... that have themes I don't care for and are not fun to shoot. They are better than they were at launch, but I'd rather have any pin with an LCD screen in it excepting Hobbit, Aerosmith, and AIQ.

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

How about I just move to the next pin in line since my time is limited.

Sure why not…or you can move down even future to the door

#175 2 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Sure why not…or you can move down even future to the door

If a machine on route or at show is setup poor, that's on the owner not the player.

#176 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If a machine on route or at show is setup poor, that's on the owner not the player.

I agree but it’s also not the machines fault. It’s sad that a lot of people get a bad taste for a game because of poor setup but that happens more often then it should.

#177 2 years ago

I'm not a big fan of the default song mode settings in GNR, it makes the games song modes too multiball heavy IMO. What settings can be changed to resolve that? The #1 setting I can suggest is not to allow add a ball during multiball. For me this setting change is a game changer as it makes locking balls towards a song modes more meaningful. You can then start a song mode with 1 ball or up to 6 but once you start a song that's it.

Bumping the song mode ball save down from 1 minute to 30 seconds is another way to decrease the MB craziness. A 1 minute ball save time with up to 6 balls makes song modes feel too chaotic. I'm going to try testing that setting change with the one above as well as with the default add a ball setting.

Finally try these coil settings for the flippers and slingshots, my game feels much more responsive using the settings below versus the factory settings.

Left flipper strength: 26
Right flipper strength: 27
Upper right flipper strength: 16
Upper playfield flipper strength: 16
Left slingshot strength: 48
Right slingshot strength: 48

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

.. and I'm not going to waste my time arguing about why I enjoy it with the usual JJP Pinside bashers.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya on the code point, JJP code updates have come to a crawl sadly. Stern is now putting out code updates with greater frequency and updates with more content. There's also an issue IMO with some JJP games, Pirates and GNR come to mind, of having too many generic modes. Who cares if a game has 100+ modes like Pirates when they all play the same. Where GNR differs is that while many of the song modes play similar there's unique light shows coded for each which is pretty damn impressive. However, I still wish there were more set piece type modes like the mini wizard modes in GNR and Pirates versus the generic style ones.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm not a fan of the default song mode settings in GNR, it makes the games song modes too multiball heavy IMO. What settings can be changed to resolve that? The #1 setting I can suggest is not to allow add a ball during multiball. For me this setting change is a game changer as it makes locking balls towards a song modes more meaningful. You can then start a song mode with 1 ball or up to 6 but once you start a song that's it.
Bumping the song mode ball save down from 1 minute to 30 seconds is another way to decrease the MB craziness. I'm going to try testing that setting change with the one above as well as with the default add a ball setting.
Finally try these coil settings for the flippers and slingshots, my game feels much more responsive using the settings below versus the factory settings.
Left flipper strength: 26
Right flipper strength: 27
Upper right flipper strength: 16
Upper playfield flipper strength: 16
Left slingshot strength: 48
Right slingshot strength: 48

#179 2 years ago

What's your point? I haven't been arguing with anyone about the game itself, just sharing some settings that make the game more enjoyable in my opinion.

#180 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What's your point? I haven't been arguing with anyone about the game itself, just sharing some settings that make the game more enjoyable in my opinion.

You initially posted just to repeat what Kanada said, and then stayed in the thread and continued to post
Just don't want you to waste your time

The games not for everybody, some of the complaints in this thread are valid.
If you love it, that's all that should really matter.
Who cares what others think, but saying this thread should not be allowed is ridiculous.

#181 2 years ago

I'm a late comer to this thread. I have an Aug 2021 build of GNR LE and I love it. I've definitely had to make some adjustments/maintenance on it to keep it all working but it's been all very minor jobs that even a completely novice such as myself could handle (this is my first and only pin that I've owned).

I would say my only issue with this game is scoring balance. The Song/Applause jackpot is literally the only thing that matters in this game. For example, my grand champion score is 39 million. However, 36 million of that came from getting an Applause jackpot. When the song mode is ending you have about a 10 second window of time to hit the scoop for that jackpot. If I hadn't hit the jackpot, my score would have only been 3 million. But making that one shot in that 10 second window literally accounted for 92% of my score. That just seems silly to me. There are plenty of other modes in the game but none of them serve much purpose because they are only worth a tiny tiny fraction of the points compared to the song jackpot. In fact if I have an album mode lit, I will generally try to bypass it by trying to lock all 6 balls in the guitar lock (locking all 6 automatically starts a song if you aren't in a multiball). There needs to be some kind of purpose/reason to play the album modes. The album modes are really neat/interesting but if they aren't worth anything, then what's the point?

But beyond that gripe, I love my GNR LE. As my pin collection grows (I have a Godzilla Prem on order), I have no desire to get rid of my GNR LE.

#182 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

GNR is an adrenaline junkie chasing type of game. If that’s a snooze fest, then I must be missing something.
[quoted image]

You were the reason I held onto the game as long as I did.

I loved your enthusiasm, your fully shared knowledge of the strategy, and all of your positive posts about the game. It kept me going, trying to achieve that level of nirvana.

I understand what is great about the game. I also understand what is not great about it. And the latter eventually prevailed.

#183 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

but I'd rather have any pin with an LCD screen in it excepting…….., Aerosmith, and AIQ.

In that case I’m going to love Ultraman.

#184 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

In that case I’m going to love Ultraman.

I hope so! Just because it's not my favorite doesn't mean it can't be yours. 2012 Avengers pinball got me back into the hobby and that pin is almost universally hated here.

#185 2 years ago

The issue with the game is the issue with most JJP games, rules design. DI suffers from this as well. GnR is on the lower end for me with regard to rules design, but it's at least a 'decent' rating. I'm not a fan of too many multiballs, especially when they feel like they aren't earned. The DMD era was the best for multiball balance imho.

As for Ultraman, I have that game. It's the first game I only played for a couple days and pretty much stopped. Is it as bad as Thunderturds? WTF? Are you kidding? I've played Thunderturds. UM is actually pretty fun, but the code is still at a level that it shouldn't be shipped. It's a game in early development and should have had at least double what's in it before it was shipped. It'll probably be okay/good when it's done in a year or more.

All that said, believe it or not, Ultraman with it's bare-bones code is more fun to me than GnR. It doesn't have the crippling rules design, and it has really fun modes and surprisingly fun mini-playfields. I can see that it 'may' turn out to be pretty awesome or it 'may' turn out to be pretty average.

#186 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

UM is actually pretty fun, but the code is still at a level that it shouldn't be shipped. It's a game in early development and should have had at least double what's in it before it was shipped

What code is your machine on? 1.06 is relatively robust with tons of Kaiju battle modes. Yes, it still needs work - but it has a ton to do.

#187 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

[quoted image]

Maybe my adrenaline being taxed so hard on ball 1 explains why I'm sleeping by ball 2.

#188 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Ultraman with it's bare-bones code is more fun to me than GnR

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
#189 2 years ago
Quoted from adamsebas:

I have played the game only a handful of times but will admit that I found it very boring. I like GNR and was looking forward to the game but I just don't think it's fun at all. Am I missing something?

The beauty of pinball is that the hobby is different for everyone. Maybe you can put a few ours into a Gunners and report back to tell us if you like the game or not? Only you can really answer that question for yourself.

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

These are among the worst types of threads on Pinside and should be locked / deleted as they serve no purpose other then to bash a game. It's a trolling thread and should be closed. Might as well rename the thread to "The Official Bash GNR Club Thread".
On a final note I own a GNR LE, it's not leaving my collection, and I'm not going to waste my time arguing about why I enjoy it with the usual JJP Pinside bashers.

A "troll" thread seems to simply be one in which you don't care for the content. Pinside has already become way "kinder and gentler" over the years (maybe to its detriment?). Price policing has been frowned upon for years. And now, you want people to only be able to say nice things about a game? Do you want debate to be a thing of the past on Pinside too? All types of opinions and thoughts (about pinball on Pinside) make the world go 'round.

#191 2 years ago

So I own both GnR and Ultraman

I will add that I just got the Ultraman today so that makes me an expert on it (j/K)

I find them both to be the nicest looking games in my collection.

For GnR, I always liked the band but I find I like them more after I got this machine as I didn't really listen to Chinese Democracy and there are some songs on there that I like. I know there is debate about which Axel should be in the game but the old Axel vs the new Axel does not bother me (I am getting old myself). I definitely enjoy playing it but do find it heavy on multi-balls or at least 6 ball multi-balls which I struggle with as I seem to just hit another ball. I guess my main gripe with it would be the scoring, I have no idea how people put up these huge scores but all in all it is a good game and fun in my collection.

Obviously, like everyone else I bought UM before I played it. There was one at an arcade an hour or so away from me and I went to play and came back thinking OMG what did I just buy. I thought about selling it after that for a loss but then decided what the hell I will just get it and see how it goes and actually traded to move up and get it earlier. I got the UM today and actually think it will be good. As I was thinking about it today, it has a few things going against it when you play it for the first time in an arcade.

The first thing is the inserts are not marked (like where GZ will say "tank", "bridge", etc.) I think this is tough on understanding the rules but does leave them open ended to be coded to do many things as they develop the game.

Second is the game is a little different and it kind of messes with my brain but as I played it I was getting the hang of it. Two things that get me are the ball lifters and using the flippers from the top to the middle playfield. After a few games I was already getting the feel of the ball lifters. As for the flippers the top flipper is the right button and the middle flipper is the left button. I just couldn't get it in my brain to press the left button when the ball drops down but I am coming around now.

The game has some good shots and flow with the upper ramp but also has a few harder shots with the right orbit and lower Baltan scoop. It has a bunch of modes which seem fun so far.

I think most people that are buying it at a discount will probably be happy when all said and done. People beat up UM more than HWN but they are basically the same game. My advice would be to hold on to it (instead of taking a loss) and see how it goes.

#192 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

These are among the worst types of threads on Pinside and should be locked / deleted as they serve no purpose other then to bash a game. It's a trolling thread and should be closed.

“I agree with you 100 percent” - Literally every autocratic ruler on earth

#193 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I think most people that are buying it at a discount will probably be happy when all said and done. People beat up UM more than HWN but they are basically the same game. My advice would be to hold on to it (instead of taking a loss) and see how it goes.

I agree. I don't have a GnR but I am one who bought a UM spot at a pretty good discount - I had a chance to play both it and Halloween in advance, and was not "wowed" by game play. That said, here are my reasons for purchase (and I think some of these reasons would apply to GnR):
1. Theme, artwork (same for GnR);
2. It was a deal for me for a pin these days - Spooky has a well deserved reputation for delivering on time and though they have the same supply issues, they are delivering very close to their original schedule - I will be waiting on my Godzilla until the end of the year (hopefully no longer);
3. Of the Pinside ads, many are re-listings, or flippers (and some of the harshest critics are from flippers who are currently upside down and butthurt) and probably represent less than 10% of the total run (guessing also with GnR);
4. I have a large collection - this PF is different, I can play flow games all day long;
5. Several software updates already with another one soon and a MAJOR update planned and underway - and Spooky IS listening to its customer base;
6. Only 500 Ultraman's made. Ton more Godzilla's made, and these themes are close enough that I can see many Godzilla owners looking to add this to their collection in time. This is obviously different from GnR's massive run.

Oh, BTW, I bought two other "bad" reputation games at very healthy discounts - Munsters BW Premium and Houdini. Both have had significant software updates, and I can sell both for much more than I paid for them (and is there any pin today made more than four years ago that isn't selling for more than the original purchase price (loaded question maybe, I don't know the answer but suspect not)?;

#194 2 years ago

Imagine if Stern produced ONE GAME for a year and a half... do you think you'd see a bunch of them for sale?

GNR is a good pin, but distributors now have them in stock and JJP is LONG OVERDUE to start producing something else... at least on and off. But definitely a new title. We should have seen a new title by now from JJP.

I don't get why someone who loves pinball can't appreciate GNR for the game it is, but instead nit picks it for it's faults. I want variety in my pinball, not the same old re-used playfield layout with a new title and code, stripped playfields (pick any numerous stern titles), etc. I understand it may not be for everyone, but you could say that for any Stern title also.

And just like every other JJP title, once production stops, you better bet it will be a hot pin. I remember when NO ONE would touch a WOZ or HOBBIT.

So adjust your pinball tastes and journey to your liking, whatever that is. If you are so vanilla that you can only like Stern games... good for you!! But don't tell me that GNR lacks innovation if you're talking about Stern in the same post!

#195 2 years ago

Just sold my GNR CE. I was a beautiful machine. Amazing lights, video, and sound. But After a year, it just was not a machine I enjoyed PLAYING pinball. Nor did anyone in my family. Wasn't that concerned about playfield issues and pooling, but in the end I find I only prefer playing Stern machines. May not be the quality of a JJP in some people's opinion, but to me Stern is more fun to play. I do not think I am alone. I see many CE GNR for sale. Everyone I know who has one feels the same about the game play.

#196 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I don't get why someone who loves pinball can't appreciate GNR for the game it is, but instead nit picks it for it's faults

I totally appreciated it for what it was. It was a high tech beauty. No other game compares.

But to call it "nitpicking" when playing it became increasingly less fun isn't accurate.

For people who love pinball, it's the most valid reason why I see so many for sale - it's just not that fun.

#197 2 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

A "troll" thread seems to simply be one in which you don't care for the content. Pinside has already become way "kinder and gentler" over the years (maybe to its detriment?). Price policing has been frowned upon for years. And now, you want people to only be able to say nice things about a game? Do you want debate to be a thing of the past on Pinside too? All types of opinions and thoughts (about pinball on Pinside) make the world go 'round.

The way the title was written by the OP followed by two sentences bashing the game, and then never posting again for 5 days (just the original post) is the definition of a troll thread.

There's nothing wrong about having a critical discussion thread about a game but that is not what this thread was intended to do.

#198 2 years ago

Enough boo-hoo. You didn't design the game. Some people don't enjoy it. Just gonna have to make peace with that.

#199 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It’s gotta be better than RUSH.

How? Nothing ever has to be better than anything and Rush is pretty good. Each their own.

#200 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Enough boo-hoo. You didn't design the game. Lots of us don't enjoy it. Just gonna have to make peace with that.

This reminds me when I commented on Stern LZ when it came out.I said the artwork and playfield left a lot to be desired and the Stern guys came at me like I had impregnated their daughters!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 210.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Chaska, MN
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 11,000.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 447 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-so-many-jjp-gnr-s-for-sale-is-it-that-bad/page/4?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.