(Topic ID: 202109)

Why so many Hobbits FS? Can’t be that bad right??

By Beez

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 251 posts
  • 105 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3124 (resized).JPG
thehobbit (resized).jpg
COWBELL (resized).jpg
1z5t7k (resized).jpg
1z5t1w (resized).jpg
1z5sqg (resized).jpg
1z5smn (resized).jpg
6CAA253E-E99A-4D6C-9873-4F6EC5ECB7EA (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20171107-205605 (resized).png
3A69A498-9800-4304-9A49-D42795C95704 (resized).jpeg
728FE794-D3CD-4635-B701-0C306474C0EC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

laughing at all the down votes in this thread. 99% of the non flattering comments are from prior owners, who have a right to that opinion (one I share completely) It doesn't matter how beautiful the pin is (and no one will argue its not gorgeous) but the issue has NOTHING to do with a tired theme. I also don't think its a code issue. There just isn't a lot of variety of shots and things to do with this pin. The whack-a-mole pop ups get old. This is the first pin I can EVER recall that I got sick of multi balls (where normally you get super excited for that) When you spend $7500-$9000 on a pin, you'd hope it would be fun to play, and have staying power. I don't think this pin had either. I was VERY lucky to trade mine for a STLE. Oh, and I am almost anti Stern now, anything but a JJP basher. In fact my Wozle is one of my favorite pins and I have a deposit down for Pirates. And to be fair, mine never had any issues with something breaking or looking/feeling cheap. It was VERY well made. Just wasn't a good design. At all.

The best thing JJP ever did was let Balcer walk.

The worst thing AP could have done was build their company around Bacler's design talents.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Houdini looks pretty damn good so far.

To me it looks like a game put together in the 1990s by Sega.

I wonder why...

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hobbit is phenomenal - it's the best modern game to properly integrate its licensed theme. The music is breathtaking, the display is outstanding, the depth of content is unprecedented, and as usual - Keith can take any playfield and make it amazing with his incredible rules.
Unfortunately it got a bad rap for having a shitty reveal, years of delays, and people not giving a crap about the movies.
On top of that, it's the type of game that can't be appreciated fully if it's in a noisy location and you can't hear it.
On top of that, "hobby tastemakers" have changed, and the appreciation of super deep games like TSPP and LOTR are no longer in favor....people want flow flow flow, 3 minute games.
On top of that, you have people who never bothered to understand the game constantly lying about it...the lies about upper flipper doing nothing or it being hard to understand if you don't look up. Absolute lies. The book on the playfield ALWAYS tells you what to do, there are constant call outs about which ramp or object to hit, and the color coding is CONSISTANT - the mode shots are ALWAYS orange, Dwarves are always purple, locks are always green, etc.
Hobbit perfectly accomplishes what it sets out to do as a licensed Hobbit game...it's a beautiful & long quest-style game.

None of this matters to players, only "theme integration" guys. Games with terrible themes and "integration" and good playfield layouts are always going to be better for players than the hobbit. And yeah, Keith is a Wizard, but code can't save every game. Keith could spend the rest of his life coding up Hobbit and it would still be awful, and he could get reincarnated and spend another lifetime working on WWE and it wouldn't save that game either.

if you don't care about playfield layout, yes, Hobbit might be a great game for you. Everything Rare said about music/theme/etc. is true. And granted, there are plenty of people like that around here. Hobbit is also a great game for "kids/guests/spouses" (ie: people who don't like pinball) because of it's dumb, easy, boring layout and over-the-top bells and whistles. This is a role that many years ago was served by another terrible game, SWE1, and to a lesser extent, RFM.

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Too many people don't get that.

Really? Tons of people around here love bad games with good art/sound/software/theme packages. Ghostbusters would still have sold a ton if the playfield were just a rehash of Williams' Jubillee

#171 6 years ago

Lol didn’t see where you were going but the last panel brought it home.

Hobbit sucks unfortunately.

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

For all the blah blah blah back and forth, whether you like it or not it doesn’t matter.
The point of the thread is simply that anybody that wants to pick up a TH right now can get it in low $6k’s

Honestly that seems like a lot of money for a hobbit. Game should Hoover in the 4s.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-so-many-hobbits-fs-can%e2%80%99t-be-that-bad-right?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.