(Topic ID: 263272)

Why selling new games as soon as you get it?

By mtbpinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

#1 4 years ago

Just curious why so many people sell off a brand new game as soon as they get it. Some had to wait on a list for months to get it. I was starting to look into getting Alice Cooper nightmare mansion and so many people as soon as they get it sell it? Made me question why. That makes me hesitate getting one in case there's issues.. Then noticed it's happening with other games. Then checked into an Elvira same thing. I saw a couple from each manufacturer this happened to. I guess people are disappointed when they get them or there's an issue. I think dealers do it because they can't sell the game and may take your game in trade and make more money that way?

#2 4 years ago

With the Stern Pro/Premium/LE model, there are folks that buy the Pro because that is what is available and ships first. If they really like it, they will sell it and buy the Premium when it is available. A lot of people did this/are doing this with Jurassic Park. I bought my Pro from a guy buying a Premium.

#3 4 years ago

Maybe people are hedging? But since the games aren't instant classics, or have issues, they can't sell higher? Maybe they are mod companies and no longer need them? Maybe people have too much money (or too much debt)?

#4 4 years ago

Because they can.

#5 4 years ago

or short attention span, there is a new one ... have to have that!

#6 4 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about it as far as what game to get. Early adopters of new pins are just on a different plane of existence than most of us. They have the ability to move games in and out quickly so they tend to make more snap judgments and often get the same pin back again later. I used to get concerned if a game I kind of wanted started showing up on the market fast, now I consider it mostly white noise.

Now if I want help making a decision I just pop into the club thread and ask if the game is good. Great news, there are lots of good games!

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from mtbpinball:

Just curious why so many people sell off a brand new game as soon as they get it.

Lots O reasons.
Space, finances, POS game, need it to make monies, etc etc

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Lots O reasons.
Space, finances, POS game, need it to make monies, etc etc

I'm not asking why they sell them I'm asking why they sell them as soon as they get them right out of the box the money the space the finances they had all that when they ordered the game..... the piece of s*** part I might understand. Or as a previous response said.. might have bought it until the Le came out

#9 4 years ago

Lots of people buy games before putting any real time on it then sell it right away when they find out they don’t actually like it.

There are also people that buy games and never put more than 100 plays on a game before selling. Just how they roll.

#10 4 years ago

Just my thought,Buying a game they really can't afford on credit.Playing the crap out of it then selling it before the bill comes due just to say they owned it????

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from mtbpinball:

I'm not asking why they sell them I'm asking why they sell them as soon as they get them right out of the box the money the space the finances they had all that when they ordered the game..... the piece of s*** part I might understand. Or as a previous response said.. might have bought it until the Le came out

They are basically testing games in their home, like we would on location. If it doesn't grab them in the first 50-100 games they are on to the next. It seems to work for them and the rest of us gets a steady stream of barely used games to buy.

#12 4 years ago

A few will purchase a machine sight unseen based upon how much they like a certain theme, genre, colorful press release or the hype. Then try it, not like it and sell it. Their anxiousness and the excitement of the moment gets the best of them...

#13 4 years ago

I also see it all the time in different groups and it always baffles me. I get it if you have major stuff going on and you need to just unload some stuff, or other legitimate reasons, but most of the posts I see are something like:

"New out of box, 30 plays. Game isn't for me. " Wut.

I think a lot of pinball people are just weird. (no surprise). Games for me take a long time to soak in and for me to get comfortable with, know what's going on, develop strategy and just get a general feel for.

#14 4 years ago

You see it with almost every title released, so I wouldn't read too much into it happening with AC or Elvira3. So many people commit to buy without playing, and those are the ones that end up moving them through quickly. Those games then usually end up with someone that has played the game and knows what they are getting into. When you start seeing games getting sold twice or more...that is a better indication of a "flop" than the first resale.

#15 4 years ago

I selling new games as soon as I get it because it creating awesome rhetorical thread titles

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from mtbpinball:

I'm not asking why they sell them I'm asking why they sell them as soon as they get them right out of the box ...

I think that's what I'm answering.

I have only so much space, I get a game and it's a total piece of shit, lets call it; "Ghostbusters." So I sell it that makes sense.
I had JP and it wasn't grabbing me, it was a cool game but not for me. Well, I sold it becasue I need the space and I need it's monies to buy another new game.
I don't have a big disposable income, but since everyone is a lawyer now I'm probably in the minority. Lot's people here can afford to buy a machine and play it for a week and sell it and take a $400 lose, price of doing business.

Now, the real question is why someone buys a machine, installs $600 worth of mods and then sells it in a week.

All kinds man, all kinds.

That's on top of the obvious "people are horrible with monies" and buy tons of shit they cant afford.

#17 4 years ago

To everybody that does this: thank you.

#18 4 years ago

Okay thanks for all the good answers ... was just trying to find out if there was problems with the new games didn't make sense to me why someone would open the box take it out play a few games and sell it without there being a problem

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from mtbpinball:

Okay thanks for all the good answers ... was just trying to find out if there was problems with the new games didn't make sense to me why someone would open the box take it out play a few games and sell it without there being a problem

There’s always a problem (space, money, regret, they hate the game, too many issue with the game, etc. )

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from mtbpinball:

I think you’re just noticing because you were looking at THOSE specific games. So many games are sold on this site, it’s pretty rare a game becomes a total dog and gets sold at rock bottom prices. And you’re paying attention to Elvira and AC so you’re noticing the sales. Nothing unusual though

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Now, the real question is why someone buys a machine, installs $600 worth of mods and then sells it in a week.

That is a puzzler...LOADED!!!

#22 4 years ago

I think it happens when the following are true:

1. Highly addictive personality (need instant gratification)
2. Out of space
3. Disposable income where eating $600-$1,000 isn't an issue
4. Flood of new games hitting market (current condition)

#23 4 years ago

I'm also gonna throw out the concept of getting a game well below MSRP(close to dealer cost) but not being able to sell it as new so you throw a few games on it and now can sell it as barely used and get close to NIB on it or use as trade bait.

#24 4 years ago

I think the question really needs to be ‘why did they buy it in the first place’? The answer is FOMO. In such instances a fast sale is inevitable.

#25 4 years ago

I'm sure impatience with unfinished codes falls in here somewhere

#26 4 years ago

Does anyone who bought these second-hand games have proof that they paid less than the previous owner that bought it new?
(E.g. original receipt)

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from provato:

Does anyone who bought these second-hand games have proof that they paid less than the previous owner that bought it new?
(E.g. original receipt)

Yes, I would say most of these "HUO" brand new games have the receipt but if you are buying a just released LE for $7200 you are certainly paying less (see my Black Knight LE sale).

#28 4 years ago

I bought BM66 because I was super stoned at the time. Then I woke up.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from provato:

(E.g. original receipt)

Haha Original receipt!

#30 4 years ago

Maybe some people buy the game for testing/test fitting mods they are developing and sell the game when finished.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

11,855 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 14.00
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-selling-new-games-as-soon-as-you-get-it?hl=whizz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.