• Latest reply 9 years ago by harbngr
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Nedry.jpg
318370.jpg
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Giardiasis:

I think the title should read, "Why selling JP COULD be a big mistake".
My prediction? In one-years time JP will be 66/100 and worth between $2,220-$2,500

You think the market for used pins is rising 20% in the next year, despite all the new releases?

Hmm.....

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Surely you can't complain about a playfield that features stunning work like this ...
Nedry

Nedry.jpg 42 KB

I fapped.

#53 9 years ago

In all seriousness, this thread is a blatant exercise in price-pumping.

I think anyone that's been in the hobby over a year is over that crap.

Just like JP with the last re-release, and Judge Dredd with the new movie a year ago, no one in the mainstream cares. The new mods are cool, but they don't turn a $1800 game into a $3200 game overnight. JP is fun, and like any B-list game it has its flaws. Let's not price-pump the fun-but-flawed games to a point where the whole hobby is screwed. C'mon.

#54 9 years ago

Do you really think this thread is going to pump up the price JP sells for?? LOL!!! I think the dude is just excited about new code, new T-rex mold, and new movie...and he's right, cool stuff coming for JP. Don't sell it yet!

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Lol...regardless there will never be a shortage of JP's for sale.

#56 9 years ago

I think Jurassic World will be a Stern pin without a doubt.... If they give it the Simpsons DE to Simpsons pinball party treatment I think I would consider selling my JP game... But probably not since I love the movie.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

You think the market for used pins is rising 20% in the next year, despite all the new releases?
Hmm.....

No, of course not. I just pulled the price from the pinside "top 100" list. I think the new code, etc will breath some new life to JP, but we all know that it won't change the ranking or increase the price at all.

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/jurassic-park

#58 9 years ago

For the code updates... here is my thinking.

I get the game and I play it a bunch. I start to notice changes I'd like to make and I start taking notes of my ideas around this.

I also go online and read up on the reviews of the game on Pinside, RGP, and IPDB. What are the common complaints that are code/rules related? I add those to my notes.

For JP, I think it's safe to say the most common complaints are:

1) qualifying multi-ball is handed to the player on ball 3. most players want to earn multiball.
2) stampede is always the first mode.
3) ball save is too short.
4) some modes are "throwaway modes" and are not worth playing or the risk vs. reward is not great enough.

So... that is my starting point.

I start knocking those complaints down and fixing them.

I also engage the community to see what they are thinking. I get lots of great feedback and suggestions. I get a bunch of PM's and emails about their thoughts. Every time, so far, one individual steps forward and becomes a "partner". A person who has a deep knowledge of the game and pinball rules in general. A person who I bounce everything off of to see what he thinks. A person who understands the game and understands what's possible and what's "too crazy" and makes suggestions along the way.

Then it's taking a step back and taking a look at everything in the game. How does everything else play? How is the balance of all other parts of the game? Can anything be tweaked? Are there features or shots in the game that players don't shoot for or care about because the reward is not worth the risk? Are there any under appreciated things in the game that could use a little love?

Usually, it's just a little nudge here and there. A fine tuning of what already exists. It's 20 years of being able to look at a game and then give it a nip here and a tuck there.

It's also about looking at other parts of the game... things like "wouldn't be be cool if the 40 second T-Rex diagnostics could be skipped?" and "it would be great if the skill shot wasn't the exact same pattern every time!" and "hmmm, here's a couple unused voice calls that could be integrated into the game." and "it might be cool if the Shoot Again insert flashed when ball save was active!".

All the changes are in the spirit of the original game. I want the game to be the best game it can possibly be and still be the same Jurassic Park that everyone grew up with and loved over the years. Never have I wanted to make any radical changes or completely rewrite the game.

So in the end... it's a better game. In the end, for me anyway, it makes the game a "keeper".

#59 9 years ago

Could go up after the new movie comes out. All you folks underestimate the nostalgia the late 20s/early 30s people have for this film. (And they're the crowd with the new money)

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

For the code updates... here is my thinking.
I get the game and I play it a bunch. I start to notice changes I'd like to make and I start taking notes of my ideas around this.
I also go online and read up on the reviews of the game on Pinside, RGP, and IPDB. What are the common complaints that are code/rules related? I add those to my notes.
For JP, I think it's safe to say the most common complaints are:
1) qualifying multi-ball is handed to the player on ball 3. most players want to earn multiball.
2) stampede is always the first mode.
3) ball save is too short.
4) some modes are "throwaway modes" and are not worth playing or the risk vs. reward is not great enough.
So... that is my starting point.
I start knocking those complaints down and fixing them.
I also engage the community to see what they are thinking. I get lots of great feedback and suggestions. I get a bunch of PM's and emails about their thoughts. Every time, so far, one individual steps forward and becomes a "partner". A person who has a deep knowledge of the game and pinball rules in general. A person who I bounce everything off of to see what he thinks. A person who understands the game and understands what's possible and what's "too crazy" and makes suggestions along the way.
Then it's taking a step back and taking a look at everything in the game. How does everything else play? How is the balance of all other parts of the game? Can anything be tweaked? Are there features or shots in the game that players don't shoot for or care about because the reward is not worth the risk? Are there any under appreciated things in the game that could use a little love?
Usually, it's just a little nudge here and there. A fine tuning of what already exists. It's 20 years of being able to look at a game and then give it a nip here and a tuck there.
It's also about looking at other parts of the game... things like "wouldn't be be cool if the 40 second T-Rex diagnostics could be skipped?" and "it would be great if the skill shot wasn't the exact same pattern every time!" and "hmmm, here's a couple unused voice calls that could be integrated into the game." and "it might be cool if the Shoot Again insert flashed when ball save was active!".
All the changes are in the spirit of the original game. I want the game to be the best game it can possibly be and still be the same Jurassic Park that everyone grew up with and loved over the years. Never have I wanted to make any radical changes or completely rewrite the game.
So in the end... it's a better game. In the end, for me anyway, it makes the game a "keeper".

This is one of the best, most well reasoned posts I have ever read. It is from the heart and for the purity of pinball that well all can appreciate. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the Holiday season. Life's too short to bicker and nitpick about the small stuff, and it's all small stuff. Happy Thanksgiving.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

You don't know me. You're wrong.

I dont give a darn about price pumping one way or the other. You wanna know what this thread is an exercise in? From the actual man who wrote it? Because I can ask him for you. Because its me.

The motive here is ENTHUSIASM. Thats it. I am excited. I am pumped up! I am really happy to own a JP and to have this great new mod and new code on the way! I thought to myself... wow... how can I contain all of this excitement!?! And then I was like... hey... I know... I can make a cool new thread on pinside since I bet people who do not own a JP have no idea about the new head and new code... I bet I can make the thread funny and exciting and everyone will be excited with me!

And thats it.

So I am excited, I hope you all are too, and I believe in what I said in the OP. Not to pump a price... but to spread the joy.

#62 9 years ago

JP was a great game before. I thought the rules were pretty good before. JP has always been a top 20 game for me and still is. Luckily they made like 18,000 of them. So there are plenty to go around.

#63 9 years ago

I honestly don't get the hostility from folks in this thread. If you don't like JP, go post elsewhere. No one's going to look at this thread as a basis for pricing, so how is it considered price pumping? It would be awesome if they were cheaper than they are, so I could buy a second one for t-rex testing!

If you have one and don't like it, that's fine. Sell it and maybe someone will like it more than you.

If you had one and miss it, great! If you had one and don't miss it, also great!

For me JP is a keeper even in its original state, though I really liked the idea of having a better t-rex, so decided to take the steps needed to make that happen. It's great to be a part of an enthusiastic group of owners/fans of this game. It kind of sucks that some people seem to want to stifle that enthusiasm.

Quoted from benheck:

Could go up after the new movie comes out. All you folks underestimate the nostalgia the late 20s/early 30s people have for this film. (And they're the crowd with the new money)

I'm in that crowd! I know based on other sales I've seen that I overpaid a little, but oh well, I got the game with the theme I wanted, and it was in relatively close proximity which people rarely seem to factor into pricing discussions.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Luckily they made like 18,000 of them. So there are plenty to go around.

Per the site it is just a hair over 9k were made.

#65 9 years ago

i was just guessing, I know there were a crapload of them made. I think JP and ST were DE most produced game.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from futurepinhead:

Different Artwork. The extreme colors always bugged me. I would like to see some custom playfield art done for it.

I think an alternate translite would be much more feasible. I'd love to be involved in making that happen once I get my current project out of the way.

I can't imagine an effective way of redoing playfield art. Would it involve some kind of overlay? Sounds complicated, but I'd love to see it happen. The pf artwork is a little disappointing to me given the stark difference between some of the nice looking dinosaurs on it and the horrible looking people. Even though I think some of them are rendered horribly, I still find the artwork to be charming.

In my mind what would be awesome, rather than bad photoshop jobs, is detailed hand-painted dinos on the BG and PF, if feasible.

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I think an alternate translite would be much more feasible. I'd love to be involved in making that happen once I get my current project out of the way.

Yeah that would be nice.

#68 9 years ago

Dude, seriously. Come on. Some of us want to PICK UP a jp.....

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I can't imagine an effective way of redoing playfield art. Would it involve some kind of overlay? Sounds complicated, but I'd love to see it happen. The pf artwork is a little disappointing to me given the stark difference between some of the nice looking dinosaurs on it and the horrible looking people. Even though I think some of them are rendered horribly, I still find the artwork to be charming.
In my mind what would be awesome, rather than bad photoshop jobs, is detailed hand-painted dinos on the BG and PF, if feasible.

I think we need to recruit Aurich to work on an alternate translate. I bought his one and sticker kit that he did for the new stern star trek. It was awesome and totally changed the look. But the chances might be low as he has done quite a bit of time and might be taking a break or working on another project.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-selling-jp-would-be-a-big-mistake/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.