Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_0219.JPG
80ca400414174e25db7ad50ecc2207ae200f5d91 (resized).jpg
e27b59ec9a4cbb8b93e2f831a551675db5d51348 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #276 CGC investigates and comments Posted by Doug_Duba (6 years ago)

Post #302 Data from #fishtales Posted by soren (6 years ago)

Post #317 Data from original #attack-from-mars Posted by herg (6 years ago)

Post #460 Conclusions from the OP regarding delay data gathered. Posted by twenty84 (6 years ago)

Post #479 Testing at home? Heed this advice. Posted by woz (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wickerman2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#90 6 years ago

The fastest rate at which humans appear to be able to process incoming stimuli is about 13ms. A response time of 100ms is perceived as instantaneous. Championship video game players fall into the 100 – 120ms

What was the variable "delay" on the flippers again?

Many pinsiders are known cyborgs. This data confirms it.

FYI, this chart applies to video games as a comparison:

300ms < game is unplayable
150ms < game play degraded
100ms < player performance affected
50ms > target performance
13ms > lower detectable limit

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Pinball is not a video game (for the most part) - thank God!

Competitive video gaming is a big $$$ industry. The comparison in reaction times is completely apt. They are pressing a button and through timing completing an action. Exactly the same concept. The times measured are WAY WAAAY WAAAAAAAAAY below the thresholds of perception.

I completely buy the "feel" argument for the games in general for people that have put 1000's of plays on an original. This measured delay that falls, not slightly below scientifically studied perceptible times, but inhumanely possible amounts below, not buying it. In the end, I don't notice it so I'm glad for that...if some do that's a bummer for them. I suspect it's a combination of factors that makes it feel different. Pinball shouldn't be an exact science anyway...I'm up for the challenge of a variable 1ms-5ms delay...maybe I can make some cash challenging the "top" players

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

I feel that there are a lot of Original owners that have been looking for any little reason to put down the remakes. Most of them are still very bitter about the new remakes coming in and getting all of the attention. Some would even say they have affected the resale value of the originals. Don't bite my head off for saying what I know a lot of you are thinking.

What a cynic you are. You are seriously contending that there are disingenuous people on the internet? What? Like they are a "troll" of some sort seeking out specific threads just to trash a product??? I am shocked. Shocked I say!

Side note: I would be mildly interested in seeing a "top" robo-player get a ball set in the lane for, say 100 shots, with an attempt to hit a specific shot. Scientifically it would have to be a double blind study between the 2 games, not sure if it'd be possible to mask enough stuff to make that happen.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

Anyone know ETA for AFM remake? I have a deposit down for some time now, but all has been quiet...

People have them now. What version you talking about?

#184 6 years ago

Flipper power settings would affect shot as well, no?

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Maybe it's just shitty players who are the only ones enjoying their remakes

Guilty

#273 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

MM original and MMR

credit dot alert!

#294 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Sounds like WPC95 DOES have some random delay

Maybe it's time for a preMake if original doesn't hold up to scrutiny. How did people even play these games all this time?!

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I think everyone learned something.

let's not go crazy

#354 6 years ago

Maybe with the OG's people chalked it up to the age of the machine and with new one's, all shiny and pretty...brand new smooth playfield they "think" it should shoot better or something. This has to have a psychological element.

Either way, should title now be "Why the remakes play EXACTLY like the originals"? Something like that.

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I feel bad about it this thread

no worries...this was great!

#445 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I guarantee you in a blind test that those same people could accurately identify remake or original over 90% of the time.

Probably no way to confirm this. I mentioned earlier, you'd need a double blind study. Likely you'd have to mask off 80% of a couple games so they couldn't get a clue from anything else. Even then there might be some tell cosmetically I'm guessing--or the flipper mechs or ball launch "sound" different from the oldies etc.. Finding an oldie with a killer looking clear coat that matches an AFMr might be hard. I would love to hear the results though. Let some of these guys that can tell "90%" of the time go head to head with science. Might get surprised by the results.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 21.50
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wickerman2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-remakes-dont-play-like-originals?tu=wickerman2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.