Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_0219.JPG
80ca400414174e25db7ad50ecc2207ae200f5d91 (resized).jpg
e27b59ec9a4cbb8b93e2f831a551675db5d51348 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #276 CGC investigates and comments Posted by Doug_Duba (6 years ago)

Post #302 Data from #fishtales Posted by soren (6 years ago)

Post #317 Data from original #attack-from-mars Posted by herg (6 years ago)

Post #460 Conclusions from the OP regarding delay data gathered. Posted by twenty84 (6 years ago)

Post #479 Testing at home? Heed this advice. Posted by woz (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twenty84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I have an original B/W AFM and an MMR LE. I've always felt my MMR doesn't play the same as the original MM. I've also played several examples of AFM the new AFMr and don't think the shots feel the same on the the remake. I've never been able to put my finger on it but I know several people who felt the timing was off. I decided to investigate this this afternoon. Here is what I did. I have a two channel oscilloscope (Fluke Scopemeter 123). I put channel A on the opto board for the right flipper (SW1 and ground). I put channel B on the on the right flipper coil (see pics). I triggered off channel A so I could see the timing between when the flipper button was pressed and the coil was energized could be precisely determined.

On MMR I flipped 33 times. The shortest time was 1.5 ms, the longest was 4.5 ms. The mean ± SD was 3.4 ± 1.3 ms.

On the original AFM the flipper delay was to the degree I was able to measure it zero. It was 0 ms on the ms time scale and also 0 on the microsecond (µs, 1/1,000,000 of a second) scale.

So in short: When you press the flipper button on a remake there is a variable delay until the flipper coil fires. On the original there is no delay.

EDIT: Everything I originally said is correct. But it was pointed out that I actually measured the voltage difference between the power and hold coil. The latency issue remains the same as described here but I repeated the analysis using the ground and power leads of the coil. See post # 172.

EDIT: I repeated the measurements on the AFM using a method CGC_DougS suggested. Using this method I found the AFM also has a variable delay of 0.5 to 4.5 ms. I'm not not sure why in these original tracings it looks like there is no delay on the AFM. The coil draws enough power to create an artifact in the opto board signal which creates an artifact synchronous with the coil firing. It may also have been a grounding problem.

MMr short example (resized).jpgMMr short example (resized).jpg
MMr long example (resized).jpgMMr long example (resized).jpg
AFM orig (resized).jpgAFM orig (resized).jpg
AFM mcs labeled (resized).jpgAFM mcs labeled (resized).jpg
Flipper coil label (resized).jpgFlipper coil label (resized).jpg
Set up opto switch label (resized).jpgSet up opto switch label (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

So what causes the delay?!?

The original has a transistor that energizers the coil. I would guess on the remake there is software emulation in the path which is much slower.

#25 6 years ago

I just did this on my SW LE and Hobbit to get a feel for what Stern and JJP games are doing.

SW LE: Has a delay of about 2-3 ms without much variation. It was hard to measure the timing exactly because the coil pulses rather than being all or nothing.

Hobbit: Essentially no delay similar to my original AFM. Perhaps this is why some say JJP games feel like original B/W?

Might get around to posting some tracings but need to play some pins.

#45 6 years ago

Baseballs and hockey pucks can go 100 MPH in professional games. That is 4.5 cm/ms. Swing with a 5 ms delay and you are off by more than 20 cm.

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

twenty84, it’s probably just my eyes (or my ignorance), but are you triggering off the EOS connection on the flipper coil in picture 5?

Triggering off the switch signal from the opto board which is activated when the flipper button is pressed.

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

I feel that there are a lot of Original owners that have been looking for any little reason to put down the remakes. Most of them are still very bitter about the new remakes coming in and getting all of the attention. Some would even say they have affected the resale value of the originals.

Of the two games with remakes available I own a AFM orig and MMr LE so I guess if there are two camps I have one foot in each. I raised this issue because I felt it might be a major reason why many (including me) feel the remakes have a different feel. Clearly some (mostly remake owners) disagree and feel this timing issue is not important. I personally believe the timing is important but don't know for sure and have enjoyed reading much of the analysis and opinion in this thread. If the timing issue is not important to some then nothing here should impact their enjoyment of these remakes. My hope is that by raising this issue CGC will provide a fix of some kind for those that want one. If not perhaps a third party fix will be possible in the future. This would of course benefit remake owners the most but also the hobby as a whole.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Sorry... didn’t mean trigger I guess. What is the lead in picture 5 connected to on the solenoid?

The Bally/Willlams flipper coils have a high power winding that initially fires and a lower power hold winding. These coils are the same part on both the original and remake. My probe had trouble staying on when connected directly to the coil so I used a alligator clip and connected the Fluke probe to a wire coming off that.

EDIT: Initially I was not actually recording from the power coil but the voltage difference between the power and hold coils. The timing issue remains the same. Updated pics and tracings will be posted.

Quoted from PBFan:

But couldn't the different feel also be the flipper buttons themselves? I like the feel of well worn Bally/Williams flippers when they have a hair like trigger. New stiff flipper buttons take a little more to push and couldn't that also add a few ms of delay and provide the sense of a different feel?

Yes, but that is not what I'm showing here. I measured the timing between the flipper opto board and the solenoid. The timing difference would be the same regardless of button, spring, who or what is pushing it, etc.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from woz:

From the pics of the MMR test, the probes are across the Hold coil.... so I'm not sure what the scope is displaying I would have thought the black ground clip should be on a real ground and the red scope lead on the brown flipper wire in order to get a true display of the power coil timing.
Right Power is Brown wire
Right Hold is Blue wire

From MMRLE Manual

Quoted from Pinzap:

This is what I was trying to get at in my earlier post. I wasn’t sure the leads were hooked to the proper parts of the flipper circuit. Not sure it makes a difference though.

Thanks WOZ and Pinzap. You are absolutely correct. I was recording the difference between the power and hold coils on both AFM and MMr LE. Because the coils both are initially energized and there is a significant resistance difference between them I was recording a signal here that I used to determine the timing. I repeated the measurements this morning on the correct leads. The timing issue remains the same. Will upload more pics when I get a chance.

#172 6 years ago

There have been two important issues which have been raised since I started this thread

1. The opto switch on the flippers has 2 opts -SW1 and SW2. In the previously analysis I used SW1 as a trigger. SW1 and SW2 likely trigger at very close to the same time but may not be exactly the same. I'm not sure how these games work if SW1 and SW2 are triggered at different times. One possibility is that which ever switch is triggered first is used, if this is what happens or if only SW1 is used my previous analysis is valid. But what if only SW2 is used? Perhaps SW1 triggers slightly sooner and the coil is synchronous with SW2. Here I repeated the experiment using SW2 as the trigger. The results are the same. I should mention that I cannot monitor SW1, SW2, and the coil at the same time because my scope only has 2 channels.

2. More importantly it has been correctly pointed out that my leads were previously measuring the difference between the power and hold coils rather than the power coil and +50V. As it turns out both coils are initially energized and there is a resistance difference between them that creates a large signal so I picked up the timing correctly in the earlier experiment. However, I've repeated my recordings measuring the difference between power and ground and show some images here. For completeness I also measured the latency using the ground and hold coil (two outer terminals) and found the same latency variability.

I've attached some pictures that show channel A (trigger) attached to SW2 and ground at the opto board. I attached the connector to do the experiments and it is shown here with the connector off. Another picture shows channel B attached to the right flipper coil. Similar to before the shortest delay I measured was about 1.5 ms. One picture shows this type of delay. Notice that late in the tracing (about 4 ms after the coil fires) you can see the coil voltage going back to zero consistent with the limit switch being hit and only the hold coil engaging. Notice that SW2 has a bit more noise in the signal that the earlier tracings using SW1. I'm not sure if this is real noise in the signal or maybe I just didn't have a solid connection to the pin. In any case this is not enough to influence the timing. I also including a tracing were the delay is much longer at 5 ms.

So in summary, although I didn't actually record from the power coil in the earlier analysis the results are the same when I do.

Switch attachment (resized).jpgSwitch attachment (resized).jpg
Coil attachment (resized).jpgCoil attachment (resized).jpg
MMr LE long (resized).jpgMMr LE long (resized).jpg
MMr LE short (resized).jpgMMr LE short (resized).jpg

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Im still wondering if turning power up on MMr flippers changes the test results? Game feels so much quicker response time wise to me at +1. I can feel a slowness/spongyness in flipper responce on default power.

My game already has the power turned up (I think to +2). I don't think the power has any effect on the latency but I haven't checked. I would guess that the power influences either the duration the power coil is energized or the voltage to the coil.

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

This brings up a question that I never saw an answer for on the new board system. How does the CGC system respond if the end of stroke switch on a flipper is damaged or disabled? The original system did some kind of a timing compensation thing that would preserve near-normal flipper strength without letting the coils overheat.

This is a question unrelated to the latency issue I have raised, but it is a good question. From what it says in the manual the coil won't burn out even if the EOS switch doesn't work. My guess is that the system limits the time that the power coil is energized even if the switch isn't triggered. It is also possible that changing the time the power coil is energized is used to modulate the power. When I get some time I'll look at this and compare the original and remake.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Simple solution. Just hit the button 8 nano seconds earlier.

8 nano seconds = 8 billionths of a second. We are talking about a variable delay as long as 5 thousandths of a second - literally almost 1 million times longer. Since the delay is unpredictable simply pushing the button earlier won't help.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from woz:

FYI, the Orange wire on the coil is +50V so your reference still isn't system ground. If this was a regular scope plugged into the wall you would have blown the fuse when you attached the ground clip to the coil. As the Fluke123 is battery operated it is isolated from real ground and the fuse is not blown. Just a warning for those that may be tempted to do their own experiments.

Thanks, this is correct. The earlier post has been edited to indicate orange is +50V.

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I guess I've never looked into it too much but I have always thought that SW1 triggered the flipper and SW2 acted as the lane change / enter initials switches (and to trigger the second flipper if there is one) in Fliptronics games.

I'm not sure either. I've seen a couple original B/W games where one of these optos stopped working and the game still played normally but there was a credit dot to indicate a bad opto. Both flipper optos from both sides go to the CPU board on the originals, so I always figured it was so if one went bad the game would still work until the operator could fix it. I've not sure what happens if they are both triggered at slightly different times which is why I repeated the analysis using SW2.

#219 6 years ago

I PMed Doug Skor at CGC about the issue and he got back to me. He said their engineers are looking at it and they are confident they can fix it if necessary.

What I don't understand is all the AFMr and MMr owners who are vocally claiming this isn't an issue or isn't important to them. Like most companies CGC might only put resources into fixing this if it is important to their customers. I hope other remake owners will support me and others in the hobby who would like to see this fixed.

#246 6 years ago

soren I moved the pre trigger level to get a better look at this short time course artifact. However I agree that the measurements on the original AFM need to be revisited, especially since I was not directly measuring the power coil initially and later repeated this measures on the MMR LE. Another user asked me to do this via PM. I won't get a chance to do it until tonight, but will post some tracings when I do.

#248 6 years ago

I'm not lying if that is what you're asking? Is it possible some of these measurements have artifacts or could have been done better - yes. I have repeated the measurements on the MMR LE and found the same thing. I plan to repeat them on AFM. I've been honest in presenting what I did, even showing pictures of exactly where the probes were placed. If there is skepticism, I would encourage others to repeat these measurements on their own games.

#256 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Are the electronic testing devices used up to the electronics standards? This could be instrumental in specifying, evaluating, and testing the performance requirements of the materials and accessories used in electronic components, devices, and equipment.

I used a Fluke Scopemeter 123. I think it is a high quality instrument. It has previously been mentioned by an earlier poster in this thread that he doesn't believe in digital scopes and an analog scope should be used. I don't have an analog scope, but again I would encourage people who don't believe these results or think they should be done differently to repeat them with equipment that meets their standards.

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I have a GHZ tektronics scope at home if someone wants to send me a AFMR or MMR.

Shipping would be less for you to send the scope to me

#281 6 years ago

@cgc_dduba : Thanks for looking into this. I will do what you suggest on my original AFM tonight and post the results.

#284 6 years ago

woz : I forgot to mention that I after I did this I got shocked and the meter caught on fire... Actually I didn't use the common (center port) at all but had differential leads on both A & B. Anyway I'll do it the way @cgc_dduba suggested tonight with a common ground.

#336 6 years ago

In short my original claim that the original AFM does not have a variable flipper delay is WRONG. I took some more measurements using the method CGC_DougS suggested I found it has a delay that ranged from about 0.5 ms to 4.5 ms. Not sure why I thought it originally looked there was no delay. My best guess is maybe one of the ground leads wasn't making good contact but I can't seem to replicate it now.

I am sorry for all the drama this thread has caused, but I think it provided some interesting discussion. Thanks especially to Doug Skor at CGC for looking into this issue.

I still think the flippers on the original have a very different feel. I noticed on the remakes the power coil is energized for 4 ms while on the original it stays on much longer (20-25ms). Is there a way to try a longer delay on the remake and see how it plays?

IMG_1363 (resized).jpgIMG_1363 (resized).jpg

IMG_1386 (resized).jpgIMG_1386 (resized).jpg

#344 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

As I asked earlier are you 100% sure ?!
Apparently not !

You did. My earlier response was: "Is it possible some of these measurements have artifacts or could have been done better - yes. I have repeated the measurements on the MMR LE and found the same thing. I plan to repeat them on AFM. I've been honest in presenting what I did, even showing pictures of exactly where the probes were placed. If there is skepticism, I would encourage others to repeat these measurements on their own games."

I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me for making an honest mistake.

#357 6 years ago

I feel bad about it this thread and wish I had checked my results better before posting. I think probably when I originally tested AFM the ground wire lost contact on the opto board. That was a difficult connection on pins that were close together and I had to put the connector back on after I hooked the wires around the pins. When the coil fired it pulled enough power to make it look like the opto was firing at the same time once the ground was lost.

I've updated the original post to say the original claim that AFM did not have a delay were in error and both games have a similar variability. Like many I still think the originals have a different flipper feel than the remakes, but with respect to the flipper timing they are similar. I have changed the title of the thread to "Remakes and originals have similar flipper delays"

I think this has spurred some interesting discussion, and I thank all - no almost all - that participated.

#430 6 years ago
Quoted from tjc02002:

twenty84 may have initially made a mistake but I believe he also may have more recently uncovered a true difference. If the remake is only fully powering the flipper coil for 4ms while originals are powering for over 20ms that would probably change the shot. I think the ball would certainly still be in contact with the flipper at 4ms and if that is when the remake cuts the power it would potentially make the flipper feel a little more laggy.

It seems to show this in the tracings I've posted earlier. Multiple people have mentioned it to me between this thread and PM. Given my past experience I don't want to jump to any quick conclusion about this but I'll take a look at it in more detail.

#460 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Still don't think "similar flipper delays" tells the whole story.
Even if they both have the same range of delays, one could still have a much more consistent delay than the other.
One could be, say, usually around 2ms, with the occasional 3 or 4, while the other could be 3s or 4s just as often as the 2s, which would be so inconsistent that you couldn't adjust to it.
In statistics speak, they might have very different standard deviations.

Having looked at many tracings from both they seem very similar, at least once I did them correctly on the AFM. The AFM varied from 0.5 to 4.5 ms and the MMR LE was 1.5 to 5.5 ms. Thus they both vary over a range of about 4 ms. I don't think the constant about 1 ms greater delay of the MMR on average is of any consequence. The delay is caused the the processor or an emulation of the processor checking to see if the flipper button is pressed at intervals. It would be possible to do statistics on this, and if someone did I would guess they would find the MMR had a on average ~1 ms longer delay but the variation in the delay was the same.

People can form their own opinions and do their own analysis. Over the course of this thread I've come to the opinion that the remakes and original have very similar variations in flipper timing and that is not a reason for them to have different feels but they might feel different for other reasons that have been discussed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider twenty84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-remakes-dont-play-like-originals?tu=twenty84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.