Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_0219.JPG
80ca400414174e25db7ad50ecc2207ae200f5d91 (resized).jpg
e27b59ec9a4cbb8b93e2f831a551675db5d51348 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #276 CGC investigates and comments Posted by Doug_Duba (6 years ago)

Post #302 Data from #fishtales Posted by soren (6 years ago)

Post #317 Data from original #attack-from-mars Posted by herg (6 years ago)

Post #460 Conclusions from the OP regarding delay data gathered. Posted by twenty84 (6 years ago)

Post #479 Testing at home? Heed this advice. Posted by woz (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#264 6 years ago

In the DJ world we have something called Digital Vinyl System ("DVS"). DVS allows you to use time-coded vinyl to control playback of digital files on your turntable. DVS has a latency measured in milliseconds (while true analog vinyl has no appreciable delay at all.) Where the delay really becomes an issue is with scratching because of all of the fine motor skills involved. Anyway, the reason this is applicable here is because when using DVS you get a good idea of how much a few milliseconds in delay can affect your ability to accurately reproduce movements that have no delay in the analog realm.

Like others have said, 1.5 ms of delay is not very much delay. It's so small that many people would not recognize it at all. However, as some others have responded variability in the delay can be a real problem. I'm a fairly advanced scratcher and the latency on my system is about 6 ms, which is perceptible but not so much that I can't adjust. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. That being said, its VERY important that the delay is not variable because the reason you can deal with 6 ms of delay is because your mind and body adjust to accommodate that 6 ms. So, while my mind and body only take a few seconds to adjust from true analog vinyl to 6ms of delay in DVS, I suspect that wouldn't work if the DVS delay was a moving target. I can tell an appreciable difference between 4.5 ms delay and 6 ms of delay when doing a back-to-back A/B comparison, meaning that variability would likely be distracting. The main reason I believe that 6 ms doesn't ultimately matter too much is that it's a CONSISTENT 6 ms. Once your body adjusts then the mind just knows that everything is going to be 6 ms off and you forget about it. I imagine the 1.5 variability could really throw things off (especially for more advanced players) because your mind and body can't adjust properly.

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I think the purpose is to provide an excuse when you fail to make your shots -- "Would have nailed that shot on an EM or early SS machine, but this WPC95 with its unnecessarily complicated nonsense involved in between to create a variable delay makes accuracy impossible."

There you go! Haha.

#410 6 years ago

I was thinking about this last night. I still hold by the opinion that few milliseconds in delay is perceivable but it may be that this delay is much more pronounced in the realm of audio. I did some digging and found a interesting thread online where musicians talk about the issue.

Somebody found a study
(Nick Herbert, Elemental Mind, Dutton, 1993, p. 50.):

Quote:
How finely can we divide our little 3-second lives? The shortest perceivable time division – sensory psychologists call it the fusion threshold – is between 2 and 30 milliseconds (ms) depending on sensory modality. Two sounds seem to fuse into one acoustic sensation if they are separated by less than 2 to 5 milliseconds. Two successive touches merge if they occur within about 10 milliseconds of one another, while flashes of light blur together if they are separated by less than about 20 to 30 milliseconds.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/202452-perceivable-latencies.html

In the thread I linked to musicians and audio technicians talk about their own experience with latency using "soft synths" and the like. It was the "jitter" or variably that some of them complained of.

However, importantly, musicians are often using a reference when the delay is perceived. How a sound falls in a track in relation to other sounds may increase the perception. Or, it may be that the audible delay is just more noticeable for some reason.

When it comes to pinball, I'm wondering why it's just not perceivable (it's never been to me anyway). It could be that there is no clear reference, or that the perception of delay with the hand and eye is just different than the hand and ear.

The other thing I was thinking about is that maybe the tolerances in pinball just aren't small enough to be noticeable. It's not like the ramps and shots are super-super tight. There's plenty of room for some variation. It may be that 4-5 ms delay just has no appreciable effect on the ability to make a shot, therefore, you don't notice it.

Pretty cool thread regardless.

#451 6 years ago
Quoted from Raincity:

We shouldn't be conflating reaction time (200-300ms) with anticipatory timing. The accepted perceptual threshold for visual latency is 13ms. Audio engineers know that more than 5ms of delay can ruin a groove. An image displayed for a single millisecond is still noticeable, even if we can't react that fast. Locational audio perception relies on differences of sound arrival time at the ears, with detection levels well below 1ms (Average head size generates a ~600 microsecond delay for sound to travel the distance from one ear to the other). The human nervous system is capable of much more rapid responsiveness than simple reaction time would suggest, so it's disingenuous to suggest that minute delays might not have some effect.
Hell - like I mentioned earlier - if you want to test your timing (and not your reaction time), use a stopwatch (https://goo.gl/dg9yBb), and see how close to an even second you can stop the timer when you anticipate and get the timing down. I find that I'm able to get within 5ms the vast majority of the time.
Please note that I'm not claiming anything about one pin versus another, just that reaction time is not the right measurement to use when discussing the potential impact of added delay in a system.

That's a really good point. I'm not sure I fully follow you though. Are you saying that pinball is all reaction time and that's why the lag doesn't matter?

I was thinking about pinball and music in terms of anticipatory timing (eg of making a shot from a flipper rolling down the inlane vs hitting a note at the correct time). My hypothesis (if you want to call it that) would be that since shot tolerances are way more generous than timing tolerances in music, the lag is such an insignificant factor that it doesn't matter. On the other hand, if you're a keyboard player and you hit the key exactly so that the note is in the pocket and the sound falls 4 ms later then the lag it's pretty noticeable.

I did hear some people talking about reaction time earlier in the thread but in my mind I was thinking about what you call "anticipatory timing".

Maybe I'm getting things twisted though.

#465 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I used to work for a company doing military drones. This is a scenario where some guy is sitting in Nevada, using a joystick, controlling a real airplane in the middle East using satellites to bounce the joystick actions to the airplane and video back to his display. Can land the airplane this way. There were studies done with lag and when did the pilot notice it vs felt instantaneous.. I never saw the test data but the conclusion relayed to me was 300ms. So everything was built to get under that threshold. This is consistent with everyone reporting 200ms reaction times, etc..
So I find all this faffing about regarding 0-5ms just nuts.. it can't matter. There's no way 0-5ms matters.

I think you're making the same mistake I made, which is assuming pinball is directly comparable to something else where milliseconds are at play. The tolerance for lag is going to vary depending on the matter at hand. If you think about it, flying a drone is not the same fast-paced exercise as pinball. You have a lot more tolerance with the drone. Likewise the tolerances in pinball are not as tight as the tolerances in playing an instrument (especially at a fast pace like 64th notes). This is where I think I made my mistake. Also, whether or not the lag is noticeable is likely to depend on if there is a reference point in "real time". In other words, if everything is off by 300 ms you may be able to better compensate.

As an experiment I took a track I was working on and moved the bassline 300 ms later than the drums. If you can imagine the length of an average drum hit, 300 ms is about the amount of time it would take to play that drum hit from start to end). This shift is very apparent to the ear and I'm fairly certain that EVERYONE in this thread would notice that delay in button press to flipper activation. It would be distracting, even without a point of reference.

The next thing I did was shift the bassline 5 ms and I'm fairly certain that nobody here would be able to detect that shift. If a bassplayer was PLAYING the bass, and the sound fell 5 ms later, he may notice, but that's likely only because he's got a real time reference. Even then I'm not sure he'd notice. However, if the bass line was played at 64th notes instead of 1/4 or 1/8 notes, I THINK the 5 ms delay would become much more perceivable because the tolerances tighten up. This has been my own experience with small ms delay in audio. When things get fast and intricate, I tend to notice the lag a lot more. Also, if I take the drum tack, duplicate it and play one of the drum tracks 5 ms later, the 5 ms delay becomes VERY perceivable (this is called "phasing"). This noticeable difference is largely because you have a "real time" point of reference.

I'm just waxing philosophic here just like (mostly) everyone else, but I do think many of you would be surprised how 5 ms of difference can be perceivable depending on the situation. The bottom line appears to be that it's not going to be very perceivable in pinball!

#474 6 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Your audio examples, are on audible preception only.. the pinball problem is a closed loop of visual perception, prediction/reaction, and muscle response
The stop watch story of hitting within 6ms is a bit closer than your audio stuff. For that I dunno.. I feel stop watch counting up to a second is a special case of a very constrained problem space. For pinball, you have way more variables that effect what's going on that the prediction problem is not as simple as watching a stop watch closely where the duration of a second has been burned into our brains since childhood with clocks everywhere, and way more close to typical reaction time problems which everyone seems to agree is 200-300ms problems. Maybe a really really good pinball player with tons of muscle memory and predictive models burned into their brain gets down to 80ms but after that think people are being generous. The clear coat friction, ball dipples, flipper mech manufacturing tolerances/slop, etc will be bigger factors.
Whatever, we've proven that in this regard, the old and new games aren't that different even zoomed in to way beyond the problem domain(IMO)

Not to beat this horse anymore but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around all of this so I'm just thinking out loud here.

My original audio example came from using audio hardware to trigger sound in software. It's not just listening for delay, it's the lag between hitting a button/triggering the device and hearing the sound. The easiest way to think about it is keyboard player pressing a key. So, you press the key and X milliseconds later the sound comes out of the speaker. The way I think about this, there is the same perception, prediction, and muscle response as with pinball. If you think of a pinball rolling down the inlane to your flipper, you're waiting and anticipating the right time to hit the button so that you can make your shot. With a keyboard, it's waiting for the right time to hit your note. I don't think it has much to do with reacting to the ball flying at you (which is where I THINK the 200-300 ms might be applicable), you're just waiting for the right time to hit the flipper button to make the shot. If you hit the button at the right time, but the flipper doesn't trigger until 1/10 of second later, will that screw you up?

So in my mind the question is not your reaction time, it's how long does it take after you hit the button for the flipper to trigger, and at what point does that lag become noticeable? I think 80 ms is still quite a long time. It's not a long time if you're measuring how long it takes you to react to a something flying at you, but it's a long lime to get the response once the button is pushed. 80 ms of delay would basically feel like, if you quickly press the button, right as soon as you release the button the flipper goes off.

I suspect they put some effort into engineering the flipper lag issue and ended up around 5 ms because that's where it becomes nearly impossible for a person to perceive the lag. In that article I listed the author found that "Two sounds seem to fuse into one acoustic sensation if they are separated by less than 2 to 5 milliseconds." I'm not sure the same holds true for pressing a button and getting a response but with flipper lag being around 5 ms I wonder if that threshold is similarly applicable. Also suspect that the tolerances required in making shots in pinball aren't tight enough for 4 or 5 ms of variation to matter, which is why its not noticeable.

That's my line of thinking anyway (I am not a scientist).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
$ 21.50
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jam_burglar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-remakes-dont-play-like-originals?tu=jam_burglar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.