Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
IMG_0219.JPG
80ca400414174e25db7ad50ecc2207ae200f5d91 (resized).jpg
e27b59ec9a4cbb8b93e2f831a551675db5d51348 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #276 CGC investigates and comments Posted by Doug_Duba (6 years ago)

Post #302 Data from #fishtales Posted by soren (6 years ago)

Post #317 Data from original #attack-from-mars Posted by herg (6 years ago)

Post #460 Conclusions from the OP regarding delay data gathered. Posted by twenty84 (6 years ago)

Post #479 Testing at home? Heed this advice. Posted by woz (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 6 years ago

I have an original B/W AFM and an MMR LE. I've always felt my MMR doesn't play the same as the original MM. I've also played several examples of AFM the new AFMr and don't think the shots feel the same on the the remake. I've never been able to put my finger on it but I know several people who felt the timing was off. I decided to investigate this this afternoon. Here is what I did. I have a two channel oscilloscope (Fluke Scopemeter 123). I put channel A on the opto board for the right flipper (SW1 and ground). I put channel B on the on the right flipper coil (see pics). I triggered off channel A so I could see the timing between when the flipper button was pressed and the coil was energized could be precisely determined.

On MMR I flipped 33 times. The shortest time was 1.5 ms, the longest was 4.5 ms. The mean ± SD was 3.4 ± 1.3 ms.

On the original AFM the flipper delay was to the degree I was able to measure it zero. It was 0 ms on the ms time scale and also 0 on the microsecond (µs, 1/1,000,000 of a second) scale.

So in short: When you press the flipper button on a remake there is a variable delay until the flipper coil fires. On the original there is no delay.

EDIT: Everything I originally said is correct. But it was pointed out that I actually measured the voltage difference between the power and hold coil. The latency issue remains the same as described here but I repeated the analysis using the ground and power leads of the coil. See post # 172.

EDIT: I repeated the measurements on the AFM using a method CGC_DougS suggested. Using this method I found the AFM also has a variable delay of 0.5 to 4.5 ms. I'm not not sure why in these original tracings it looks like there is no delay on the AFM. The coil draws enough power to create an artifact in the opto board signal which creates an artifact synchronous with the coil firing. It may also have been a grounding problem.

MMr short example (resized).jpgMMr short example (resized).jpg
MMr long example (resized).jpgMMr long example (resized).jpg
AFM orig (resized).jpgAFM orig (resized).jpg
AFM mcs labeled (resized).jpgAFM mcs labeled (resized).jpg
Flipper coil label (resized).jpgFlipper coil label (resized).jpg
Set up opto switch label (resized).jpgSet up opto switch label (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Over my noodle but very interesting

#3 6 years ago

Damn...thats how you present a case...well done

#4 6 years ago

Random delay... UGH!!

I prefer analog o-scopes, but that's one good use for a digital scope. Sounds like the software takes a while to get around to checking the flipper button status. Maybe it could be patched to check more frequently? Maybe redesigned to use an interrupt? I don't know how an AFMr flipper works, but there must be a fix.

#5 6 years ago

Yep, I noticed that the first time I played a remake which was the launch of AFMr at the Dallas AMOA last March.

I was playing with a couple of top 20 players and they both commented on it too. It really throws your shots off, especially if you're used to the original WPC95 machine.

rd

#6 6 years ago

Great analysis and approach

Not sure I'm buying that 1.5ms difference is that perceivable. You can watch tv with the sound delayed by that much and not notice. Your brain just stitches it together. Famous experiment where they delay a flash by 10ms or so when you click a button. After your brain adjusts to they remove the delay and your brain believes the flash happens BEFORE you press the button.

I agree they will play and feel different, as will any other classic AFM will from each other. 20+ years adds character to a game.

#7 6 years ago

OP, did you measure the angle of the flippers? They are adjustable in the remakes. I know an operator that has both an MMR & AFMR on his route and he has adjusted the angles of the flippers on both and they now play and feel more like the original.

#8 6 years ago

So what causes the delay?!?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

So what causes the delay?!?

The original has a transistor that energizers the coil. I would guess on the remake there is software emulation in the path which is much slower.

#10 6 years ago

Adding software and networking is adding delay.

You should try this test on a new stern and see what they respond at.

Oh, and it's all in the spirit of making MORE MONEY!!!!!!!!

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Cappi:

Not sure I'm buying that 1.5ms difference is that perceivable

It's enough to be noticeable. If it was a "fixed" delay you would eventually compensate for it after a few games ... if the delay is changing all the time, that's not really ideal.

rd

#12 6 years ago

The additional layer of emulation causes the delay. They should cheat and stop running flipper input through the emulation, but instead program the hypervisor to watch the flipper buttons and activate the coils when the switches close. Can still feed input to the emulator so lane change works, but ignore the flipper output and leave that for the host program.

If they're already cheating and doing it that way, then the beagle implementation is slower than an 8-bit M6809 CPU

#13 6 years ago

I wish I had something technical to say. But I don't. I love my MMRLE and my AFMRLE.

#14 6 years ago

Thank you for this!!!! I've had so many scrubs telling me "same mech" "it's the same" "mine plays great" etc. Nope. No control over the shots! And no way to adjust!!! Interesting findings for sure.

#15 6 years ago

I had an UltraPin back in 2008. Even though everyone said it was a perfect representation to then original games I found if I played it too much it threw my game off on a real pin.

While everyone picks on the old school electronics it is nice to see a hard documenting of the delay introduced,

#16 6 years ago

Amazing thread. Thanks for doing what all of us are too lazy or too stupid to do.

I hope they can fix it somehow, even if it's just for future titles with a hardware change.

I would love if you could do this for jjp and stern games from whitestar/Sam versus spike 1/2

#17 6 years ago

I had always heard a fake Rolex kept time just as good as a real one.

#18 6 years ago

All of this is way over my head, but would pops and slings etc. respond the same way?

#19 6 years ago

I've never noticed any delay on my AFMr. I don't have much experience on the original, but had a guy over who has an original (and had it for years), says it played exactly the same only faster. I guess my brain can't detect a 1.5ms-4.5 ms variance. Some of you guys should be fighter pilots. Being able to detect a 0.0045 second difference in something is pretty impressive.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It's enough to be noticeable. If it was a "fixed" delay you would eventually compensate for it after a few games ... if the delay is changing all the time, that's not really ideal.
rd

Really? 1ms isn't enough time for the sound of the flipper button being pressed by your hand to reach your ears... And this is going to throw your game off?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had always heard a fake Rolex kept time just as good as a real one.

Rolex doesn't use a processor.

Time lag will make a difference.
That's why I don't like virtual pinball.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Cappi:

Really? 1ms isn't enough time for the sound of the flipper button being pressed by your hand to reach your ears... And this is going to throw your game off?

As I said, you would soon modify your game to adjust to the delay if it was a fixed delay, over the space of a few balls ... no different to how you adjust to different flipper angles etc.

However, the OP explains that the delay changes every time you press the flipper button. This will certainly throw your game off.

rd

#23 6 years ago

Science for the win

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

That's why I don't like virtual pinball.

That's what MMr reminded me of when I played it.

#25 6 years ago

I just did this on my SW LE and Hobbit to get a feel for what Stern and JJP games are doing.

SW LE: Has a delay of about 2-3 ms without much variation. It was hard to measure the timing exactly because the coil pulses rather than being all or nothing.

Hobbit: Essentially no delay similar to my original AFM. Perhaps this is why some say JJP games feel like original B/W?

Might get around to posting some tracings but need to play some pins.

#26 6 years ago

Don't really understand why they made a new platform for the remakes to begin with. I get they wanted to reduce the number of boards/components etc. but this is the tradeoff of a new platform.

My opinion is they should have found a happy medium kind of like Altek with updated interchangeable boards for the new game but also as replacements for the original as people still need boards for originals. Don't see why that could not have been done and bet they would sell plenty of boards.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Science for the win

Well, not really. Proven that there is a delay, yes.

I think it is a pretty big leap from there to assume that a 1.5 to 4.5ms delay on the flipper coil firing makes the machine play differently. Google around on human response times, the internet "science" on that would seem to indicate otherwise. The op has an opinion, and set out to prove it, hasn't quite gotten a scientific proof yet although the info so far is interesting.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

As I said, you would soon modify your game to adjust to the delay if it was a fixed delay, over the space of a few balls ... no different to how you adjust to different flipper angles etc.
However, the OP explains that the delay changes every time you press the flipper button. This will certainly throw your game off.
rd

This is so much faster than your reflexes. I mean a single frame of a movie is 33ms or longer. I might be getting old but I can't see each frame at speed.

It's like your game being off in Denver cause the air is thinner and the ball is uncontrollably faster. Yea it's measurable but not really perceivable. Or 50Hz AC throwing off your game cause I grew up playing 60Hz AC power.

But what do I know. Just sounds far fetched if you really think about it. I'll stop.

I'd bet it's due to flipper angle or perhaps the

#29 6 years ago

Anyone want to hear a joke?

2017-09-30-20-23-54- (resized).jpg2017-09-30-20-23-54- (resized).jpg

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Well, not really. Proven that there is a delay, yes.
I think it is a pretty big leap from there to assume that a 1.5 to 4.5ms delay on the flipper coil firing makes the machine play differently. Google around on human response times, the internet "science" on that would seem to indicate otherwise. The op has an opinion, and set out to prove it, hasn't quite gotten a scientific proof yet although the info so far is interesting.

Says a person with a machine that does not play like the original

Because of Software / Firmware interfaces I guess it is downhill from now on

#31 6 years ago

I LOVE that the OP used science to try to prove this but, I think all he's proving is that most people don't have any idea just how fast 1 millisecond is.

A bee's wing flaps at 5 ms and everyone in this thread is trying to say that that they can "feel" 1.5-4.5 ms ? Can you grab the wing of a bee when it's at the top of its flap Danielson?

The human eye blinks at a rate of 100-400 ms. That is 100X LONGER than this delay

but maybe this does explain why I'm completely underwhelmed with MM since all I've ever played is MMr

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

All of this is way over my head, but would pops and slings etc. respond the same way?

I guess that means no.

#33 6 years ago

Every game I play, plays slightly different even if it's the same game. I'm sure other realize that there are countless other factors that weigh on how a game plays. Not sure 4.5ms would be one of them. regardless, its an interesting bit of info.

#34 6 years ago

I applaud the science here and appreciate the effort to understand the differnces.

Each game in my collection feels different, just like my guitars feel different from each other. I do wonder what humans can actually perceive with such short latencies, and I wouldn’t be shocked if some of the best players in the world can feel the difference.

Marc

#35 6 years ago

Way above my pay grade, but I'd venture to say Stern and CGC use different flipper components than B/W...clear coated PF's will make the remakes "feel" different too.

#36 6 years ago

It is well documented that humans perceive anything under 200ms as instantaneous. So, at under 10ms, absolutely, undeniably undetectable difference.
Interesting experiment though.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

but I'd venture to say Stern and CGC use different flipper components than B/W

CGC uses B/W flipper components.

Stern uses Stern flipper components.

LTG : )

#38 6 years ago

I'm not at all convinced that a 3ms delay would be even remotely noticeable. Try this online test just to get an idea of how fast that is.

https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

#39 6 years ago

Is it all coils because of the emulated code and type of boards used compared to original? Or is it just the flipper coils....?

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

I'm not at all convinced that a 3ms delay is even remotely noticeable. Try this online test just to get an idea of how fast that is.

I've been doing some googling on this as well, numerous articles and websites document the average human reaction time is between 150-250ms.

4.5ms? That's 40 times faster! Sure, it's measurable with some test equipment, but not in playing pinball...

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

A bee's wing flaps at 5 ms and everyone in this thread is trying to say that that they can "feel" 1.5-4.5 ms

I'm willing to bet that a 1.5-4.5 ms delay is absolutely perceptible. Anyone who is into gaming will absolutely notice any latency introduced in flat screen TVs versus CRT. Also, even though a movie is 29 fps, games that run at 60 fps second is absolutely perceptible. Even games that run at locked 60 fps that drop a single frame every couple milliseconds is perceptible to those who really have the feeling of a game down.

Anyway, I honestly think that it's very impressive for William's to have been able to have the flippers "CPU Controlled" without introducing any lag. That's damn impressive for the 90s. Also interesting, I didn't know that AFMr and MMr are essentially emulated. Kinda cool, I guess.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm willing to bet that a 1.5-4.5 ms delay is absolutely perceptible.

How much?

#43 6 years ago

I'd be curious to know the difference, in ms, of the following on AFM:

From a rolling inlane to the right flipper, a shot to the left orbit
and
From a rolling inlane to the right flipper, a shot to the middle of the saucer

The answer to this question will help me decide how much 3 ms matters.

#44 6 years ago

Coming from the video game world for many years I have seen emulations. The generic emulators from a long time ago were awefull. They have gotten progressively better as the years past. That said now the real manufactures put out emulation of there own original product. Hence "Namco" Technology has gotten so advanced that the word emulation is not as dirty as it used to be. I would not claim to be a Pinball expert by no stretch of the imagination. However I do think that when dealing with such slight milliseconds difference it would be very hard for any human to detect. Not to say it is impossible just unlikely. I do find this thread very interesting. Perhaps someone from CGC could pop in and make a statement. I would love to see how they would respond to such a thread. Thanks for the science lesson. However I feel I cant comment until the experts from both sides have an opportunity to speak.

#45 6 years ago

Baseballs and hockey pucks can go 100 MPH in professional games. That is 4.5 cm/ms. Swing with a 5 ms delay and you are off by more than 20 cm.

#46 6 years ago

That's the thing, I don't think a human can quantify "how much" it can be perceived, but only that it "feels" different.

If you spend any significant time on a game that drops a single frame every couple milliseconds (or has an unstable frame time), you'll start to notice--even if you can't quantify the difference.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Cappi:

Great analysis and approach
Not sure I'm buying that 1.5ms difference is that perceivable. You can watch tv with the sound delayed by that much and not notice. Your brain just stitches it together. Famous experiment where they delay a flash by 10ms or so when you click a button. After your brain adjusts to they remove the delay and your brain believes the flash happens BEFORE you press the button.
I agree they will play and feel different, as will any other classic AFM will from each other. 20+ years adds character to a game.

I play online shooters and input lag is a serious issue that I don't take lightly and don't buy certain tv's because of it.
I went to York show with serious thought of getting one of the remakes. Guess why I dismissed both immediately. Yes that millisec of delay in the flippers. Imo I feel it slightly in Williams also but have no scientific proof besides for what my brain tells me. I perceive no lag in Stern flippers,... cort , dlp, and plasma tvs. Fortunately I can buy a new stern, however all new tv tech sucks when it comes to input lag even when game mode is implemented. I strongly agree with op.

#48 6 years ago

Here is a link to a simple reaction test. It shows reaction times.
It is kinda amazing how repeatable your times are. Random 1 to 4.5 milliseconds may actually feel different to the advanced player. I doubt I will ever notice.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I guess my brain can't detect a 1.5ms-4.5 ms variance. Some of you guys should be fighter pilots. Being able to detect a 0.0045 second difference in something is pretty impressive.

Quoted from ypurchn:

trying to say that that they can "feel" 1.5-4.5 ms

The question really has nothing to do with how fast people can react to the shot. The bigger question is how long it takes for the ball to roll down the flipper for the shot to change. If the moment I'm flipping is exactly the same, and my shot isn't going to the same place, that's where you would perceive a problem.

The lock shot is a tight shot on Attack from Mars. Is it 4ms tight??? That I don't know.. and you can't really prove that.

My theory is still that the way the coils get power affect the timing of the shot. It feels like the ball stays on the flipper for longer, which causes my shots to be pushed more sideways than I would like, and this changes the angle on every shot. Elwin's theory was that it's lag like you would have with video pinball.

Who has a super high speed camera, something with enough frames to actually measure the time it takes to complete the flipper stroke on an original and a remake, and can do that test? Maybe combine all the factors and you have a less precise game.

#50 6 years ago

Awesome thread and I love that you’re looking at the science of this. Sorry for the long post, so skip it unless you’re interested in the science behind this.

1. Some people have mentioned REACTION time of humans being on the order of 200ms. This is not what the OP is trying to demonstrate by measuring the flipper delay and reaction time has absolutely nothing to do with controlled pinball flips. I say controlled flips, because of course reaction time would play a small part in determining the trajectory of the ball once it rebounds off a sling or post or other object and heads off in a different possibly unknown direction at a high speed. Reaction time is measured as response to an unknown timed stimulus. For example, in the link above (Post #38), the user is asked to tap the screen when the green color appears. But the timing of the green is unknown so you are just “reacting” and this is why it takes 200ms or more to tap the screen. In reality, the subject of hitting a flipper when a ball reaches a certain spot on the flipper is TIMING and NOT REACTION TIME. This is similar to what the OP states in post #45.

2. Neurophysiology research doesn’t always agree on what that the limit of human TIMING is, but there is at least one paper (google Hore and Watts) that indicates that the neurophysiological timing is on the order of 1ms for skilled major league pitchers that have to TIME the release of the ball of their fingertips in order to hit a target 90 feet away at 100mph. It’s interesting to note that other papers demonstrate on the order of 9ms for average humans.

3. But, it’s not the timing delay in the remakes that would potentially be a problem to the top skilled players, because they would just include this delay in their brain when doing the internal “calculations” and adjust their timing such that they flip at the nearly exact moment they want to... well, within 1ms if they’re as skilled as some major league pitchers... and there’s no reason to believe they aren’t just as skilled in their TIMING. The real problem would be that if the delay in the flipper response introduced by the circuitry isn’t consistent. The OP states that there is a standard deviation on the order of 1.5ms and this is exactly the problem if you are a person that has a consistent TIMING response on the order of 1ms. It means that for Keith Elwin who plans to hit the flipper within 1ms of when he wants to, he is really hitting it within about 2.5-3ms of when he wants to.

4. Does any of this make a difference??? Well, I haven’t calculated the ball speed down the flipper (from a cradled position) to see how much distance it travels in 2.5ms. That is the next exercise...

As others have already said (in admittedly much shorter posts), I doubt I’ll ever notice with my average 9ms timing brain... but the timballs of the world may notice!!

Edit: Doh timballs... you posted yours a few seconds before I finished typing. Must be your advanced timing skills.

And I even referenced you while writing my research paper post. Ha.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.50
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

Wanted
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 45.00
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.99
There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-remakes-dont-play-like-originals/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.