Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 103 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Pinside Ratings Do Not/Cannot Matter (you may vote more than once)”

• Agree 18 votes
      11%
    • Disagree 29 votes
      17%
    • Would like to see ratings system tweaked to eliminate personal weighting (or show non weighted results) 17 votes
      10%
    • Would like liars to step up and rate honestly 26 votes
      16%
    • Would like existing system sliced and diced to show ratings for each category as well as total rating. 14 votes
      8%
    • This is beyond stupid. play what you like. ratings have ZERO bearing on desireability and resale value. 37 votes
      22%
    • Centerflank is sexy. 25 votes
      15%

(Multiple choice - 166 votes by 113 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fat-guy-speedo.jpg
    fatbastard.jpg
    There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

Because we all have our own sliding scale of what matters! I've completed the Pinside exercise of weighting what matters most to me (not an easy task, but certainly doable without too much second thinking) and my ratings are 100% based on that. Besides the fact that we can all weight things differently, It's obvious that alot of people are not rating things honestly in their own ratings.

Example...my HONEST rating of ACDC Premium is around 8.2. For things like Fun, Lastability, Rules, Lighting, Music and Dots...I gave it a 6 out of 6. EXCELLENT. But there is no freaking way I am going to give it any more than a "decent" (that's as low as I went on ACDC) for it's playfield art, cab art, backglass, layout, etc. THEREFORE, it isn't going to rate as high as a lot of other games that I may not like as much. But that's OK, because there are a number of factors that enter into a games popularity.

So, in conclusion, Pinside ratings don't matter for two reasons:

1) everyone's rating is weighted differently
    2) people are lying

***I'd love to see actual ratings that are based on Pinsides rating system...but with HONEST answers and where everything is weighted equally. I think that would be really interesting.

#2 10 years ago

as far as what I buy the only opinion that matters is my own. Ratings mean nothing to me. I only look at ratings on ipdb for EM machines and then I mostly just read the reviews to see what people say about gameplay.

#3 10 years ago

It seems that it all averages out pretty well though. Yes, there are ratings of pins here that I obviously disagree with, but I actually think that the Top 75 or so pins are a fairly good representation overall.

There are plenty of credible members here who are honest in their ratings.

#4 10 years ago

I would like to see the ratings from people who have reached a certain score , jackpot or wizard mode on a machine. My pet peeve is the rating that states....' this pin did nothing for me. I stopped playing in the middle of my third game. my girlfriend, boyfriend , wife, didnt even finish her first ball. the pin did nothing for me, and oh, the translite was horrible. rating 2.5..... just my 2 cents. play the game to at least go thru all the modes, shots etc and then make a judgment

#5 10 years ago

I try not to rate anything I haven't played at least a dozen times, and at least half of those knowing the rule set. There are too many games that I've played and not liked, only to play them more, and learn it and then I can't get enough of it. I wish others did this. I hate seeing 2 versions of a brand new game in the top 3 until enough people rate it lower.

#6 10 years ago

This is a tough place to rate games because the majority of us are pinball owners. Next to impossible to rate games fairly across the board. Everyone is going to love the games they own. There is natural bias in owning games. I see no problem with it. I read the ratings because frankly sometimes it makes me laugh to read peoples comments, especially the negative ones. Ratings are fun, but I would never give them any weight in my purchasing decisions.

#7 10 years ago

A lot of games are unknown by people or not understood, so the ratings are fun only. That's why we always have the debates on is X game better than Y. If the ratings were everything it would be game X is rated at 20, game Y at 45, game X is better. The ratings are fun and the comments do give you some opinions about a game you may not know. There are so many pinball games out there that everyone can have a special one.

#8 10 years ago

The ratings are too subjective based on personal preferences.Play them and make up your own mind.Don't be a sheep and just follow the herd.....

#9 10 years ago

Agreed with not rating until you've played something quite a lot and understand the machine. It is hard to know much about a machine if you walked away before the first game even ended. I have nothing in the wild to play here and so the only ones I have access to are the ones we own, and I still don't even think about rating them until I understand the machine. Now, there are some machines that I immediately click with, like NGG which I instantly loved, but I still played a few hundred games and did research until I knew what I was doing, and I still haven't rated it. I got a deal on a Spiderman without ever playing it, then didn't like it, then after learning the rules grew to really love it. Ratings are great for a general idea of a machine if you're contemplating something you've never played before, but otherwise I'm going to go with my personal experiences and get what I like.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from yoshootme:

I would like to see the ratings from people who have reached a certain score , jackpot or wizard mode on a machine.

Ha. Yeah, I don't need reviews from 80% of the reviewers!

Man these threads never get old. I mean they do but younger ones just pop up to replace them.

#11 10 years ago

People being able to bomb a game in the rankings with super low scores and being able to do it in secrecy is my only issue with the Top100.

LOL! Great voting options Family

#12 10 years ago

Ratings....?

The comments are valuable in most cases but the score? Meh

I don't think it's anything to get worked up over... Unless TMNT gets a 10

#13 10 years ago

It may matter to those that have never played the game or are trying to sell the game, but that's about it.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha. Yeah, I don't need reviews from 80% of the reviewers!
    Man these threads never get old. I mean they do but younger ones just pop up to replace them.

so from ur comment i gather if someone plays a couple of games on a machine and pans it, you think its valuable? is that correct? and by your second comment , i fail to see why you still read the comments. if they are tiresome then just move on. or maybe i am misinterpreting your response, if so my apologies

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from yoshootme:

I would like to see the ratings from people who have reached a certain score , jackpot or wizard mode on a machine.

My pet peeve is the rating that states....' this pin did nothing for me. I stopped playing in the middle of my third game. my girlfriend, boyfriend , wife, didnt even finish her first ball.
    the pin did nothing for me, and oh, the translite was horrible.

play the game to at least go thru all the modes, shots etc and then make a judgment

You are misinterpreting many things because you are assuming many things.

1. scores are completely diff'rent machine to machine and have no point ( ) whatsoever
    2. 80% of the people that play these games don't "wizard it" - and more than that don;t have a wizard mode
    3. Agree completely with "my girlfriend, boyfriend , wife, didnt even finish her first ball." usually a crappy route machine and not the machines fault.

Quoted from yoshootme:

and by your second comment , i fail to see why you still read the comments. if they are tiresome then just move on.

Cause I've fucking been here a 'long' time, and I read the posts, cause it's a message board I'm on everyday.
    But you shouldn't assume so much. we've already had a conversation like this before you & I. EDIT: <-- Maybe it wasn;t you...sorry i assumed it was.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It may matter to those that have never played the game or are trying to sell the game, but that's about it.

Wow! I leave town for three days and you cross the 100k karma threshold!

Quoted from stretch2:

The ratings are too subjective based on personal preferences.Play them and make up your own mind.Don't be a sheep and just follow the herd.....

I totally agree here. People's personal ratings are the most important from my view. I like looking at what other Pinsiders rate games as a lot of them have similar taste to me.

#17 10 years ago

The ratings I have always found are useless, perhaps especially for me because I tend to not like the same stuff as other people. The comments I find VERY useful when people take the time to really dive into the games, which is done seemingly on every 1 of 100 reviews.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

Everyone is going to love the games they own.

I validate my own flawless judgment by crapping all over those that disagree with me. If it stunk, then I'd be a sucker and that simply will not do..

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

Everyone is going to love the games they own.

That's why people harp aboot the "honeymoon phase." Not a huge fan of a few games I own personally...but at first they were the shit.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

Everyone is going to love the games they own. There is natural bias in owning games.

I certainly agree with this view. Also, people tend to gravitate to games that have themes they like. Every game I have owned I really liked the theme for, this also skews games rankings. If I don't love a theme, I don't get a game. The only exception to this was Party Zone and it didn't stay with me long.

#21 10 years ago

You know, for so many people here who say that the ratings don't matter, there's sure never any shortage of posts by these same people whenever this issue comes up. Maybe the ratings mean more to them than they let on?

#22 10 years ago

The fact that Metallica Premium/LE in it's current state is in the top 10 should be proof enough that the ratings are a joke.

#23 10 years ago

Pinball ratings do matter. It is good to get feedback on what pinball players like an do not like. I do not always agree. The Avengers LE for example. Rated low in the rankings but I think it is one of the BEST. That being said. It is valuable to have some kind of "frame of reference .

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I certainly agree with this view. Also, people tend to gravitate to games that have themes they like. Every game I have owned I really liked the theme for, this also skews games rankings.

I don't think theme alone will skew the overall rating here very much as it's only a small part of the factors that go into the overall rating.

I think X-Men is a damn good theme. I still have it rated pretty low. And it was a pin I owned. My first NIB in fact, so theoretically, I should have loved it. Just because someone owns/owned a pin doesn't mean that they will be biased in a good way towards that pin.

#25 10 years ago

In addition I dislike it when pinsiders do not rate pinball machines. I want to know your opinion.

#26 10 years ago

I like the ratings for what they are. Slicing them up differently probably wouldn't change my mind on them too much.

For me, they are just a place to start if I am looking to find a new pin. It just isn't practical to go and play the pin sometimes. There aren't too many places to do that.

The comments may be more interesting to me than the ratings, but they both matter.

Between the ratings and the comments, I have felt comfortable buying a few pins without really having played them. I have also avoided buying a few pins from the ratings/comments.

#27 10 years ago

My big thought that I have always promoted but has never seemed to gained traction is that if someone hasn't logged on to Pinside in a year their ratings should be deleted. I call old votes "relic" votes and don't think they are necessarily reflective of our current community.

Just think of someone voting in 05/06/07/08 . . . they didn't have color changing LED tied to the code to consider. Many really great games of today like AC/DC and Tron were not available to consider.

Also, for those people that have multiple accounts that vote, many of them don't log into them again after they vote up or down what they wanted. Dispensing with relic voting would wipe out their votes after a year. Just my personal view.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

The fact that Metallica Premium/LE in it's current state is in the top 10 should be proof enough that the ratings are a joke.

True, and it is just as much of a joke that WOZ is just outside of the Top 25 in light of it's current state.

I think most people who have rated those pins to get them as high in the rankings as they are, are probably basing it on the potential that they have. I think that they would both be rated a lot lower if people were told that there would not be any further code updates.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I don't think theme alone will skew the overall rating here very much as it's only a small part of the factors that go into the overall rating.
    I think X-Men is a damn good theme. I still have it rated pretty low. And it was a pin I owned. My first NIB in fact, so theoretically, I should have loved it. Just because someone owns/owned a pin doesn't mean that they will be biased in a good way towards that pin.

I don't disagree with you and it goes person by person. While theme itself is, as you say, only one factor of the ratings; I think it leaks into other factors such as artwork, fun, and lastability. I think liking a theme really helps you get into the various modes as well for the mode based games.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

True, and it is just as much of a joke that WOZ is just outside of the Top 25 in light of it's current state.
    I think most people who have rated those pins to get them as high in the rankings as they are, are probably basing it on the potential that they have. I think that they would both be rated a lot lower if people were told that there would not be any further code updates.

Agree 100% with this.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I don't disagree with you and it goes person by person. While theme itself is, as you say, only one factor of the ratings; I think it leaks into other factors such as artwork, fun, and lastability. I think liking a theme really helps you get into the various modes as well for the mode based games.

Good points.

Makes me realize just how much I hate the gameplay of X-Men since the factors that you list weren't enough to overcome it.

#32 10 years ago

I will go over 10k karma with this observation on the poll - it was surprising to me how many people found Centerflank sexy. Admittedly, I have never met him.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

I will go over 10k karma with this observation on the poll - it was surprising to me how many people found Centerflank sexy. Admittedly, I have never met him.

He apparently really gets around.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

My big thought that I have always promoted but has never seemed to gained traction is that if someone hasn't logged on to Pinside in a year their ratings should be deleted. I call old votes "relic" votes and don't think they are necessarily reflective of our current community.
    Just think of someone voting in 05/06/07/08 . . . they didn't have color changing LED tied to the code to consider. Many really great games of today like AC/DC and Tron were not available to consider.
    Also, for those people that have multiple accounts that vote, many of them don't log into them again after they vote up or down what they wanted. Dispensing with relic voting would Wipe Out their votes after a year. Just my personal view.

Hell Yeah Tiger, Old votes should get bounced...

Quoted from RobT:

Rob my man, I think you gave up on Xmen too soon, that game is so fun!

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

He apparently really gets around.

He is a pinball slut !!

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

He is a pinball slut !!

Was she real?

"I gave you a thumbs down for using WTF, I dislike profanity"

Sincerely

Pinslut

#37 10 years ago

The ratings only do one thing. Start the Hype wagon. Other than that, they mean dick. Newbs and people that don't go to shows to play nearly every game ever made, don't know the difference and think because something is ranked high, it has to be good. Wrong. Lot of garbage in the top 20 on all lists. Pinsides, Mr.pinball, and wherever else. Only way to make sure a list is 100% accurate is to make your own. My list is the only list out there, that is perfect in every way.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

totally agree with you even though i thumbed the original down.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Wow! I leave town for three days and you cross the 100k karma threshold!

Can I have that cheeseburger now?

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Rob my man, I think you gave up on Xmen too soon, that game is so fun!

Nope. I've played it since the updated code. The code really wasn't the main problem that I had with the pin. It just isn't for me.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Nope. I've played it since the updated code. The code really wasn't the main problem that I had with the pin. It just isn't for me.

Well you are just dumb then LOL! Better than MB

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

BLASPHEMER!

#43 10 years ago

Damn it feels good to crank some beers down watching week1 of NFL football!!!!

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Damn it feels good to crank some beers down watching week1 of NFL Football!!!!

Broncos lookin' good!

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Ricoculous!

#46 10 years ago

I hope and pray Manning takes down Bert Perves TD pass record....

#47 10 years ago

I am going to move this thread to the Pinside website sub forum.

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

People being able to bomb a game in the rankings with super low scores and being able to do it in secrecy is my only issue with the Top100.

But WHY would you ever do this? I don't care if you guys like what I like. If anything, if I like different types of pins than everyone else, I'm going to be able to pick them up cheap. That's a good thing, no?

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from swf127:

I'm going to be able to pick them up cheap.

I dont think rankings have so much effect on price of a machine. If its well liked by owners you wont see them for sale as much. Avengers got beat up in the rankings but will you see one for sub 5K? Who knows...

#50 10 years ago

I rate this thread 7.625

There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-pinside-ratings-dont-matter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.