(Topic ID: 49736)

Pinball Bubble Won't Pop! - One year later and still going strong!

By pinnyheadhead

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by kermit24
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Big-Mac.jpg
    IMG_0151.JPG
    money.jpg
    Tiger.jpg
    Tiger_3.jpg
    images.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    th-3.jpeg
    th-1.jpeg
    th-2.jpeg
    There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 10 years ago

Jukeboxes and pins are two different animals but the nostalgia factor built into both and the age demographics are similar. 45s made the 78 juke obsolete but some 78 models were still very collectible. The download box might have made the cd box collectible except they didn't have a chance. Most cd boxes have been ripped up and modded into download boxes by installing kits.

If pinball can't get back into the mainstream like it was at its zenith then I still worry about its future. There were days when you didn't have to hunt to find a game on location as they were everywhere. Kids built memories and now as adults we want games in our homes. When we are gone will our kids want our games? Will they want new games? Only time will tell.

Pinball has evolved into a market much like Harley motorcycles with a factory turning out a few models, with different trim, and a huge aftermarket for add ons. In my opinion this move may have saved pinball by injecting the cash needed to keep the companies above water. Remember I starting buying pins when WMS was still making new ones At any rate I don't look at pins as an investment. I look at them as entertainment that I get to enjoy over and over like a classic car, boat, etc. if they go up in value great. If they don't that's fine too. I'm not gambling with the rent money lol.

#102 10 years ago

One other point. Music can be recreated on a phone and all the mechanical problems go away. But is hearing a song on my iPhone the same as hearing it on vinyl through a tube amp on my jukebox. No it isn't not to me the jukebox sounds better. However, can you recreate the pinball experience on an iPad? No you can't (to me and you and the other folks here because we know better we have a frame of reference). However the average kid or non pinhead doesn't have that frame of reference. The pinball app on his iPad is just as good as music on his iPad. He doesn't know or have the longing for that sound of the record or that ball on a real playfield.

#103 10 years ago

WOZ and RAZA provide fantastic pinball innovation....and that is what is needed in the hobby to keep it going strong...people won't keep buying the same box with different art, same fan layouts with minor tweaks without some innovation.......

Pinball is seeing a big resurgence since about the time JJP entered the market (and brought me into it at the time), competition makes competitors work harder and create better products, simple as that...I actually remember debating on buying a BBH initially as the new Stern release, glad I opted for the Lotr Le for $5250 with shaker/shipped as they were collecting dust on the distro floors..

If pinball keeps innovating and improving it will stay strong and that is what I see with the JJP and Stern battle along with the boutique guys like Jpop and SkitB....

Think Slot machine technology, yes there will be on glass video in the future, it makes too much sense for pinball and the technology is already there....

One thing that may affect pins is the possibility that all these "collectors" that don't actually play the pins get tired of these pins collecting dust and move out from the hobby....

Globally, when interest rates rise, and its coming soon enough with the Fed stopping QE/printing money, I worry about a major bond bubble and simultaneous drop in the stock markets and then another global recession or least what feels like one, that obviously won't help any hobby....anybody remember the Stern layoffs and pins produced during that time frame? Don't think that can ever happen again?

At the end of the day, pinball needs people that like to play pins, not just "collect" and innovation and technology need to be able to draw new people into the pinball world, I'm optimistic its here and coming along.....JJP, Jpop (wait until you see what's coming there!) are doing it and I imagine Stern is on the way with Star Trek so we get to participate and enjoy...good times!!

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

How many pinsiders actually have college funds for their kids, assuming they have them?

Are you kidding? My pins ARE my kids' college fund ....

#105 10 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

My pins ARE my kids' college fund ....

I think you mean "were".

11 months later
    #106 9 years ago

Bumping the bubble post form last year. Will it bust this year? Nah.

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

No pop, but a deflation for MM after the MMR announcement.

#108 9 years ago

It won't pop but I see great deals ahead.

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

No pop, but a deflation for MM after the MMR announcement.

I mentioned that the threat of a remake will keep popular titles in check in the future. The $8,000 threshold will be tougher for older pins to break through.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

It won't pop but I see great deals ahead.

We know our friends up north have it tougher on pricing and availability. We feel for you.

#111 9 years ago

I'm not sure what you're talking about that the bubble didn't burst, it definitely did on one title (MM) and A list games across the board have taken a pretty good price cut as a result. Prices around here have taken a 10 to 20% cut across the board on most titles. You're essentially bumping a post saying "look I was right" when you actually weren't, lol. I'm a little confused here. It's like saying "hey, I told you Peyton Manning and the Broncos would win the super bowl", and we're like "uh, they didn't", lol.

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I'm not sure what you're talking about that the bubble didn't burst, it definitely did on one title (MM) and A list games across the board have taken a pretty good price cut as a result. Prices around here have taken a 10 to 20% cut across the board on most titles. You're essentially bumping a post saying "look I was right" when you actually weren't, lol. I'm a little confused here. It's like saying "hey, I told you Peyton Manning and the Broncos would win the super bowl", and we're like "uh, they didn't", lol.

Not seeing the price drop myself except on pins that might get remade. Also 10-20 percent is NOT a bubble pop. A bubble pop would be 50%+ drop in the average price of a pin. Declare victory when you can get a routed MM for $4k ... And even then it'd only be on the one title most affected by the bubble "popping".

#113 9 years ago

I mentioned that the threat of a remake will keep popular titles in check in the future.

Keep in check? The MM actually went down and was not stagnate...30-40% decrease as it was well north of 8k last year. Again, not a pop, but definitely a leak.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Not seeing the price drop myself except on pins that might get remade. Also 10-20 percent is NOT a bubble pop. A bubble pop would be 50%+ drop in the average price of a pin. Declare victory when you can get a routed MM for $4k ... And even then it'd only be on the one title most affected by the bubble "popping".

Depends on your definition of a 'pop', but a 30 to 50% reduction in the most popular game (MM) combined with a 10 to 20% reduction in other prices would strike me as a 'pop', since it happened almost instantaneously when the remake was announced...it wasn't a smooth decline, it was just a haircut right then and there. In the midwest, one of my friends has been trying to sell a restored AFM with $1000 in extras for $7500 and it won't sell...that would sold right away last year. Guys up in Omaha are having a hard time selling anything, the one guy from SD had to come down to $4200 to sell his LOTR when last year that was over $5k all day long. Prices are falling on most titles, though some have avoided falling like IM.

#115 9 years ago

That's called an adjustment. Words have meanings.

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Ultimately, it shouldn't affect any of us THAT much; the money that I put into pins is play money, and I expect nothing back.

Unless you're investing in pinball machines, this is "enough said" on the matter IMO.

#117 9 years ago

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, there's not enough wealth in this country to keep the home buyer numbers growing. If you want pinball to keep growing, play on location regularly and encourage others to do the same.

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, there's not enough wealth in this country to keep the home buyer numbers growing. If you want pinball to keep growing, play on location regularly and encourage others to do the same.

There is more than enough wealth to grow the number of buyers in this country, the real issue is that there is not enough interest.

#119 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

There is more than enough wealth to grow the number of buyers in this country, the real issue is that there is not enough interest.

I would agree. You have people paying for a starbucks coffee ($5/day) every morning, eat at the restaurant ($8/day) instead of bringing their lunch and have a $80 wireless plan but complain that they are broke. On a year tab it equals to this $1200 for coffee, $1928 for restaurant, $960 for cell phone. Now I'm not saying that people shouldn't be doing these things but some people bring it to a whole new level of entitlement and needs.

I for one, am feeding my addiction by putting $35 a week in an account. At the end of the year I've got $1800 bucks to spend on a machine. Beats filling my stomach with junk.

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Beats filling my stomach with junk.

IMG_0151.JPGIMG_0151.JPG

#121 9 years ago

Hold a second.....I said junk....
    Big-Mac.jpgBig-Mac.jpg

#122 9 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Depends on your definition of a 'pop', but a 30 to 50% reduction in the most popular game (MM) combined with a 10 to 20% reduction in other prices would strike me as a 'pop',

I think things are slowing down a bit and it takes longer to sell pins, but 1) I don't see that many pins for sale and 2) I don't agree that prices have dropped anywhere close to 20%.

#123 9 years ago

We know our friends up north have it tougher on pricing and availability. We feel for you.

That's OK I keep stealing machines from you guys LOL

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I think things are slowing down a bit and it takes longer to sell pins, but 1) I don't see that many pins for sale and 2) I don't agree that prices have dropped anywhere close to 20%.

In my area, some games (not all obviously, some haven't gone down at all) have dropped 20% besides the obvious MM. Perhaps not in California or the east coast, but there is a definitely a slow down here. Omaha in particular has had some good deals lately.

#125 9 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

In my area, some games (not all obviously, some haven't gone down at all) have dropped 20% besides the obvious MM. Perhaps not in California or the east coast, but there is a definitely a slow down here. Omaha in particular has had some good deals lately.

Got some examples?

I mean at a 20% reduction, a pin that used to sell at $5k would now be selling for $4k. I just don't see that anywhere.

#126 9 years ago

Acdc, TAV , tf , mm , cc...

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Acdc, TAV , tf , mm , cc...

MM is a given, I'm not talking about the remake(s). That's why I was referring to the 20% reduction (not the 30 to 50% that he referred to regarding the potential remakes...which would include CC).

TF lost value long ago (while the market was still very hot, long before MMr announced etc.), and is nothing new and has nothing to do with the market overall going down. Same can be said regarding TAV.

That leaves ACDC, and that's a pin that Stern is still making today, and there are a ton of them out there. Huge supply, and most people who really want that pin already own it. Even then, it hasn't dropped 20%. The Premiums were $6200.00 NIB shipped. HUO sold for $5600.00 about a year ago (or less). They still sell for over $5k, so you are talking a 10% reduction, not 20%.

#128 9 years ago

All good explanations Rob but a year and half ago we were not making explanations for any games. Just a sign in my opinion .
    Like we know marker calls on a bunch if games as soon as next month. Just another explanation but again we were explaining nothing just a while back ; )

#129 9 years ago

If you wanted to buy a new Stern Pro machine every year, you would need, what? $4500-$5000? Something around there? That's $375-$417 per month that you would have to save every month. Obviously, we're talking upper-middle class ($100K and up), but those are the same people that lease fancy cars and go on vacation every year. I think they would be able to swing that much in place of something else, if they liked pinball that much.

#130 9 years ago

No bubble lasts forever. Matter of time. Many of the homeowners on here will tell you that. Media said it would never burst. Wish I had a nickel for every time I hear "You'll never lose money buying real estate"
    Starting to hear pinball people saying the same thing now "The value on it will only go up" - Oh yeah? Just wait.

#131 9 years ago

My god, a f'ing bullet couldn't pop this bubble. This discussion will continue, monthly, and the same crap will be discussed 10 years from now from someone still telling us the end is around the corner.

#132 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Thanks to apps, video games and being trendy, pinball interest is probably at it's peak right now (relatively speaking). Unless The Rick Stetta movie starring Johnny Depp gets released soon, you're not going to see much more interest than you're seeing now. Many that got in the hobby recently (last 5 years) now have full game rooms. How many more games do you currently have room for?

The home buyer market has grown by huge numbers in the last few years. It's gonna take something huge to keep that market growing at the pace it's been on. I know Stern, JJP and all the others will give it their best shot, but I don't think it's realistic to think it can keep growing at the pace it's been on.

Putting hard numbers on something like this is virtually impossible. Hell, Stern isn't even sure how many of their games go to ops and how many go to home buyers. One very telling piece of data we do have is the Boston pinball survey. Ironically, one of the things we typically skip over there is currently what we should be looking at. Average selling price. Prices started rising significantly in 2010. At the beginning of 2013, they started leveling off. For those that have ignored it completely, the average sales price graph is at the top of the page.

http://www.bostonpinball.biz/eBay112013.htm

#133 9 years ago

This has to be one of the best lines I've read on Pinside in a while. LOL, I think Depp could pull it off.

Steve

Quoted from phishrace:

Unless The Rick Stetta movie starring Johnny Depp gets released soon, you're not going to see much more interest than you're seeing now.

#134 9 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

WOZ and RAZA provide fantastic pinball innovation....and that is what is needed in the hobby to keep it going strong...people won't keep buying the same box with different art, same fan layouts with minor tweaks without some innovation.......
    Pinball is seeing a big resurgence since about the time JJP entered the market (and brought me into it at the time), competition makes competitors work harder and create better products, simple as that...I actually remember debating on buying a BBH initially as the new Stern release, glad I opted for the Lotr Le for $5250 with shaker/shipped as they were collecting dust on the distro floors..
    If pinball keeps innovating and improving it will stay strong and that is what I see with the JJP and Stern battle along with the boutique guys like Jpop and SkitB....
    Think Slot machine technology, yes there will be on glass video in the future, it makes too much sense for pinball and the technology is already there....
    One thing that may affect pins is the possibility that all these "collectors" that don't actually play the pins get tired of these pins collecting dust and move out from the hobby....
    Globally, when interest rates rise, and its coming soon enough with the Fed stopping QE/printing money, I worry about a major bond bubble and simultaneous drop in the stock markets and then another global recession or least what feels like one, that obviously won't help any hobby....anybody remember the Stern layoffs and pins produced during that time frame? Don't think that can ever happen again?
    At the end of the day, pinball needs people that like to play pins, not just "collect" and innovation and technology need to be able to draw new people into the pinball world, I'm optimistic its here and coming along.....JJP, Jpop (wait until you see what's coming there!) are doing it and I imagine Stern is on the way with Star Trek so we get to participate and enjoy...good times!!

What's a RAZA?

#135 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

What's a RAZA?

Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland

formerly Ben Heck's Zombie Adventureland

#136 9 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

, the one guy from SD had to come down to $4200 to sell his LOTR when last year that was over $5k all day long. \

I had been in the market for a LOTR for well over 18 months when I finally got mine over the winter.

The Only machines that were going north of $5000 were LEs or CQ.

Players machines were not selling quickly at $4200. This was before the epic MMR official announcement at Expo.

My anecdotal opinion of LOTR had been pretty static on price and still is.

#137 9 years ago
    Quoted from avenger:

Starting to hear pinball people saying the same thing now "The value on it will only go up" - Oh yeah? Just wait.

What year are you living in? 2012?

#138 9 years ago

My favorite indicator was the constant excuse talk stared last year about its only slow now but wait until fall, wait until Xmas , wait until tax time , ugh ok maybe it's slowing down a little.

#139 9 years ago

The threat of a remake will keep popular pinball prices in check

You call 8500.00 for a game keeping prices in check? lol

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from NinJaBooT:

You call 8500.00 for a game keeping prices in check? lol

CC and BBB are examples. If you own them, you have to have "remake" in the back of your mind somewhere. If the stars and licensing agreements align there could be a AFM, SS, TZ or AF remake also. Probably not, but it will be in the buyers and sellers minds. Maybe these titles will be priced at $6500. If it is would people be in?

Even if $8500 is high to you, that is a pretty reasonable cap for the best titles in pinball, compared to other collectables markets.

#141 9 years ago

CC and BBB are examples. If you own them, you have to have "remake" in the back of your mind somewhere.

Not everyone looks at their machines as investments. I know that's hard for some people to believe but it's true.

#142 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Not everyone looks at their machines as investments. I know that's hard for some people to believe but it's true.

I agree with you, although people do not want something they collect to become worthless. What is even worse is the reason something becomes worthless - people do not care for it any more.

Part of collecting is owning something that not only you, but others care about. People may say "I hope the market crashes, so can buy everything up cheap!". That is fine and all, but there is a price that goes along with the cheap pinballs. If the market crashes there will be no more Pinside, no places to order parts from, no where to ask collectors how to fix games, no pinball leagues, meet ups, tournaments or expos and all the broken
    Pinbots and EM's will go in the dumpster.
    A big crash will be you in your basement all alone with your "cheap" MM, SS, CC and BBB and no one to to play with and that would suck! No?

#143 9 years ago

If the market crashes there will be no more Pinside, no places to order parts from, no where to ask collectors how to fix games, no pinball leagues, meet ups, tournaments or expos and all the broken

Its not the apocalypse. But yes in a few years it could be back to what some would call normal prices and more trading of games. The site will still be here and parts will still be bought. The difference will be not as much clamoring for games. That's the first change we will see. many of us already are not lined for the next LE. Its those subtle shifts that will affect things.
    There are going to be a bunch of STLEs taking a hit soon. Why would anyone line up for that pain again and again.

#144 9 years ago

I agree with you, although people do not want something they collect to become worthless. What is even worse is the reason something becomes worthless - people do not care for it any more.
    Part of collecting is owning something that not only you, but others care about. People may say "I hope the market crashes, so can buy everything up cheap!". That is fine and all, but there is a price that goes along with the cheap pinballs. If the market crashes there will be no more Pinside, no places to order parts from, no where to ask collectors how to fix games, no pinball leagues, meet ups, tournaments or expos and all the broken
    Pinbots and EM's will go in the dumpster.
    A big crash will be you in your basement all alone with your "cheap" MM, SS, CC and BBB and no one to to play with and that would suck! No?

I really don't think a crash will cause parts to dry up. There will still be a market for the parts, the people in it to play (rather than make a quick buck) will stay interested. Also if I have a game valued at 3k right now and the entire market dropped 50% then my 3k game is now 1.5k. That is fine because so are all of the other 3k games and I can sell/trade it for another game of like value.

#145 9 years ago

Maybe these titles will be priced at $6500

This is closer to what I consider reasonable. IMO, I wouldn't spend anymore than this on any game.

#146 9 years ago

I def think the mad euphoria of 2012 is over and prices have certainly stabilized and lowered in many cases. One thing I've marveled at, however, is how the market steadily rose and then spiked during the aftermath of the financial crisis with pretty intense unemployment, etc. I think that a lot of people have maxed out their space or investment dollars.

But if the economy is really recovering, new people will come into the hobby with disposable income and keep things going to some degree. How much has yet to be determined. But I really think the days of new or desirable machines routinely going for $7-8K are over for awhile. It was euphoria and hype combined with a false sense of scarcity and "this my last chance to get X!"...Now there are plenty of machines available with plenty more to come and people are saner and wiser. Not the people posting prices in Mr. pinball...those people are smoking crack...but I think most of us have survived and will enjoy the new market.

#147 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I don't. I buy them to enjoy them and to have friends and family enjoy them also. Pure and simple. I don't assume years down the road the prices will skyrocket and boom, I make a huge profit. It's purely entertainment for me.

#148 9 years ago

Right, my example of worthless was Beanie Baby worthless.

We are at a good spot right now in Pinball where most of our pins go down a little in value (if we include maintenance) each year, but that is fine because we play them every week and we sell them or trade them for another pin that went down slightly last year also. That makes things even. No?

There will always be specific exceptions to go against this, but mostly this is what we may find.

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from NinJaBooT:

This is closer to what I consider reasonable. IMO, I wouldn't spend anymore than this on any game.

Yes I feel like had MMR been priced there then they would have sold me. Hell they would have had my order... Hopefully moving forward the other titles are priced there.

#150 9 years ago
    Quoted from CarShark:

Obviously, we're talking upper-middle class ($100K and up), but those are the same people that lease fancy cars and go on vacation every year

They do? lol

There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-pinball-will-battle-on-and-survive/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.