Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

___drama_queen____by_duekko-d71dh4r.png
    image.jpg
    read all this shit.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 9 years ago

Marketing is the bullsh!t you give stupid people to buy the things they don't need.

And it's expensive. The best way to advertise is to create a great product people can't stop talking about.

#74 9 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

Thanks Jared. I 100% agree that pinball has only 1 guy dedicated to marketing and it shows. All you ever get is pulling a sheet off a game at an expo or convention. Come on, that's so 50 years ago. Half the time you don't even get that. People literally just stumbled upon WWE at CES. They had no video ready to go, nothing on social media, no content at all. Piss poor.
    Also, there's so much more behind the scenes in marketing that can help pinball. For example, I wonder if any company actually does research to see who would be interested in buying what theme. And the lack of family friendly themes is silly. I bet a Frozen pinball machine would sell boatloads more than a WWE (course the license would be $$$)...
    I too just roll my eyes when I see how games are released. It's beyond amateur hour. And it doesn't take much. Think of all the wasted time John has spent with his blog and pinball inventor site. One simple video showcasing what's to come would have been shareable and excited people more. But he's learning.
    I would happily offer up my services to help any boutique pinball company better market their game. My going rate at my company is $370/hr. I'd do it for free. Just to see pinball marketing improve.

So if Stern aired a really cool superbowl commercial selling WWE and Gary made some Talk show appearances you'd be more likely to buy the game?

#96 9 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

HAHA...Stern wishes they could have a Super Bowl commercial selling WWE pinball. And yes, they would sell A LOT more if 150 million people saw it during the Super Bowl commercial. Why do you think spots are so expensive? Not to make you laugh, to sell more shit.
    Again yes...If Gary went on morning shows with Wrestlers to play the game, more eyeballs = more sales. You don't get it...this is the consumer funnel for purchasing:
    AWARENESS + CONSIDERATION = CONSUMPTION
    Stern doesn't exactly implement creative ways to expand the awareness at all. WHy? Because everyone working there is a pinball nut and they only cater to the die hard crowd. They need more a lifestyle PR person helping them get coverage outside of Expos. The ain't doing a great job of that.

Remember when Stern had all those custom Good Morning America pins with people playing them on TV? If that paid off it would be fair to assume we'd have seen such exposure on a fairly regular basis. My guess is they sold an extra three pins that week.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-pinball-marketing-is-poor?tu=mattster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.