Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

___drama_queen____by_duekko-d71dh4r.png
    image.jpg
    read all this shit.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbilly27.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 9 years ago

Welcome back keneda. Sorry to learn of family members passing.

Also being in marketing I agree with almost all of your post. Especially today with social media, marketing does not have to equal expensive - just a dedication to "plan it out" and execute with laser precision to that overall plan.

You mention RTB (Reasons to Believe). What you failed to mention is "Moments of Truth" (MOT). Every time your brand comes in contact with a customer is a moment that could influence purchase behavior now and in the future. Stern sort of gets it with game reveal & price once it's ready, managing channel of distribution, and very strong customer support once you get the game. But where they constantly fall down is announcing a premium long after initial release and unfinished code - it destroys RTB and is a big failure in MOT. Recent design flaws also impact MOT but creating "fixes" can hep restore.

Unfortunately, instead of using online as a medium to leverage a relationship with customers and inform - Stern often ignores altogether and lets Jodi taunt and misdirect on Facebook. Failed MOT.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

What amazes me is this: when someone has an idea for a pinball machine, do they even tap a marketer / communications pro for advice?

TBL crew did tap a marketer (Phil) and as you stated it was a wonderful reveal. Really well done. Aside from having Jeff Bridges there in person it was well played. (Although with Terry's @ Pinball Life new look he could have passed for JB). They literally had people pulling out credit cards ready to buy and waiting for the CC reader to be available. Brilliant! They had every other pinball company looking like their cat had just died.

Where they fell down was the backend business just wasn't ready. So much great marketing unraveling because the whole plan wasn't integrated. I'm pulling for them to rebound from this but they were close. (minus flipping off other manufacturers while on stage - failed MOT)

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from mattster:

Marketing is the bullsh!t you give stupid people to buy the things they don't need.

Quoted from underlord:

Marketing is weak sauce.

You guys do know that most products are built based on "marketing" requirements. Understand "voice of the customer" what they want/need, willingness to buy, what problem can the product/service solve. Yup, all marketing requirements.

The fluff you and many others dislike about marketing I get. But keep in mind, the marketing fluff is just reminding the consumer on why they built what they built - based on the marketing requirements.

"Doing business without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you're doing but no one else does". Necessary evil. PT Barnum knew this as well which is why they would parade the circus through towns to advertise the big show.

Build it and they will come - is a recipe for disaster.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Commercial made film look like Marvel filler crapfest.

I agree this is where Marvel marketing failed. Great movie though!

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Build it and they will come is slowly but surely working for us.

You guys have done marketing though Ben. Early feedback on theme & toys, videos while building the game, videos launching the game - yup you did marketing. And I applaud you on the ongoing dialogue with customers on bug fixes and improvements. I know engineers hate to admit it, but you're doing marketing.

I know engineers think it's cool to rebel against marketing rather than admit they are doing it. Your secret is safe with me.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Taking a heavy pinball machine to every expo and show imaginable - burning up several machines worth of profit per trip - is also a recipe for disaster.

BTW...agree. No need to tow a machine to every show. Think SkitB is learning that too.

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I seriously doubt the 370 number is correct, so don't sweat it too much.

It likely is. If Kaneda works for a top 10 advertising agency and is a VP of accounts, their billing rate is easily around there. That's not what Kaneda himself would be bringing home, but what the agency would charge. The lower level creative & account types would bill less. Just like a pro services company, your paying for expertise and advice.

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

A hypothetical conversation overheard at Expo 2016:
    Pinhead #1: Hey, Bob! Check out the sweet AC/DC Luci they got over here!
    Pinhead #2: No thanks, buddy. I'm going over there to play that nice Frozen machine they've got set up.
    It could happen...

But yet we were in line to play WOZ.

I'm not advocating Frozen as the next title as I think it would be a big miss (now Toy Story could be interesting). Withstanding his example, JPOP at least asked everyone to vote on a theme out of multiple choice before embarking on his journey. Now that journey has gone on many detours, but he did ask people what they wanted.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbilly27.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-pinball-marketing-is-poor?tu=badbilly27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.