Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TRC73
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

79A06E26-945A-4294-8BD2-DA61DCE599BE (resized).png
    2049365E-0035-40B7-9A65-F97842D7E363 (resized).jpeg
    note01 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjmjmm2006.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Console and PC gaming. Pinball actually died around '93 but it took awhile for the whole body to stop flopping around.
    I was at the local barcade last night and I was the oldest person there by at least 10 years. Tons of younger players today.

I would say 1993 is still early for the death of coin op. Ultimately the torch was passed early 2000 in my estimation. There are many factors but one that does stick out to me is the lack of innovation on the coin op side. Later an even deeper hole was the fact that coin op never included online play or I online leaderboards at the cab. Now some of that is finally changing. There is truly some creative people entering our industry and it is awesome to see Stern be at the forefront of this evolution in their hiring. I had some incredible discussions with Gary and John at MCG about how to keep us trending upward. They understood my points of emphasis and ultimately agreed that pushing the envelope only helps grow the scene on location and in the basements of enthusiasts everywhere. Not that things can't change again but I like the leadership at all the manufacturers we currently deal with.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Some very solid EMs that bring in lots of new people only willing to spend a quarter at the start.
    Plenty of awesome early SS and through sys 11 games. If you dont have out things that are classics from ever era then you are missing great opportunities IMHO. Look at our game list > we route classics like EBD, Frontier, BoP, Jackbot, Atlantis, HS, Sorcerer, etc...; we route oddballs like SST, TMNT
    Toss on the classics like TAF, TZ, Creech, and on down the line. I could easily fill a route of hundreds of games and not buy another single 5k+ Stern. The maintainence on those old games is no more than a new one and the new ones often cost 2x up front.
    You cold route primarily Sterns from the past 3 years and be fine, but man what a boring and repetitive line up IMHO.
    Point being that Stern is sadly NOT the reason pinball is thriving. I would say it is thriving despite their tired but solid formulaic foundation.
    *caveat that it is really nice to see them deviate with things like Beatles and BK3000. Now if they could just get pricing back to sub 5k where it should be (really 4500 is the sweet spot IMO).

Our customers that are younger (5-18 years old) get started on licenses they know. If they start to like pinball then they migrate to other machines. Stern has definitely been the leader of bridging the Gap to our younger potential audience. I thank them for helping me grow this business, to me they are helping groom a next generation of player. Same with Raw Thrills. The licenses like Halo, Jurassic Park etc get people in the door and give an opportunity for other games to be discovered.

I also like variety and our base customer that loves pins certainly appreciate exactly what you are saying. Most locations we have with a significant amount of machines have games from all eras.

Either way this thread has showed me that so many people are doing their part to keep location Pinball alive. It makes me think the coin op side is in better hands than I originally thought. Good luck all!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cjmjmm2006.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-pinball-is-prospering?tu=cjmjmm2006 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.