(Topic ID: 240235)

Why pinball is failing

By timarnold

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    20190410_125246 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1277 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4220 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4219 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4218 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4211 (resized).JPG
    tenor.gif
    3B0A16B3-A45C-4E21-9A9E-37B8D7618B40 (resized).jpeg
    36421 (1).gif
    giphy.gif
    22C3FD0E-2054-4F0D-BE12-5B15835D28BA (resized).png
    0366FC05-3DA5-4CF6-9EBB-90959D6BD84B (resized).jpeg
    h792608E5 (resized).jpg
    The+internet+ruins+everything_6ca151_3781820 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

As I've said before, if Tim would hire ONE full time tech that knows his shit, the PHOF would gain so much more business. The tech could train others to do simple maintenance that would prevent future mechanical failures so he could focus on board work and other more complicated work. Give me a week in that joint and I could have 90+% of his solid state games playing well if not perfect. He would make way more money for his charity, and everyone would be happy. The fact that he refuses to do this boggles my mind. My wife took me there for my birthday, and it was a complete letdown due to almost every machine that I wanted to play being broken in some significant way. The place gives pinball a bad name and WILL suffer from a lack of repeat business.

TL;DR - don't be an asshole, or risk fading into oblivion.

You know, I remember a guy in our DeLorean community named Ed Bernstein. Guy was a complete and total asshole; he believed that DeLoreans should basically only sit in the round-about driveways of 8 bedroom mansions, that no one under 50 should own one, and that if you were under a certain age threshold, you were an inferior human being unless of course you had majorly deep pockets. You could ONLY do business with him if he was the ONLY person you ever did business with. You bought anything from anyone EVER - you were blacklisted, and he kept records - trust me.

When I first got my car in 2003-2004, he treated me like total shit when I reached out for help. He cursed me for doing business with anyone else, and that my car would never run without the part he had that I needed (we got it running like 2 months later at the end of restoring the engine).

Over the years, rumors and stories were going on about how he was completely segregating the entire community, and that he was hanging on by charging his most-dedicated customers insane prices. Parts on the defunct website would show something like $900 for a battery, and he limped on due to the loyalty of the people he knew when the car first came out in 1981.

Now, the majority of our community are "young whippersnappers" in our mid-30s with aftermarket parts, full engines/transmission swaps, re-designed suspensions, and total new EFI fuel systems - things that bring the car into the future. You mention his name to nearly anyone under 30 who owns a DeLorean, they will respond with "Who...?"

As for Ed, my understanding is he passed away, and his wife sold a majority of his stashed-away parts on eBay. I know because I bought some of them - a tachometer, a voltage/engine temperature gauge, and a oil pressure/fuel gauge - for less than the cost of a college textbook. His ex-business partner, Stephen Wynne, owns DeLorean Motor Company in Humble, Texas, and is considered the flagship for the vast majority of the "original car parts" community.

The moral: stop pushing your core community away, or you risk fading into nothingness.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Here's the main question... And I don't know when we'll get a real answer... Pinball is coming back. Arcades are coming back. How big will they both get. Most likely nowhere near the heyday of their past.
    For 60s and 70s Pinball made more money than the film industry. At least that is according to a documentary that I watched, or an article that I read. So take that with a grain of salt... Also, until Jaws, Exorcist, and Star Wars. There really weren't hug box office movies. Most people here think a film that did 20 million in the 80s was a flop... Cos, they don't realize that 20-40 million was a hit film in the 80s, not a super hit, but good business.
    Anyway... The true test to pinball I think will come when the older guard starts to die out. Let's hope that won't happen for a long time, as I wish health and wealth to everyone. But, is the new young blood in pinball enough to not only replace the old guard, but also continue to grow the industry.
    Only time will tell.
    And honestly... I do think there will be a slight or minor crash. Where the bubble bursts on some of these prices. But, I do think pins will hold some degree of value. Some of the cheaper pins might be like a craigslist piano. You pick it up and take it, its yours free.
    But, the quality pins, those prices might fall, but still hold probably half their value.
    Again, that is just speculation. The main thing to note. Look at all the arcade stuff coming back. When the next recession hits America, and its a matter of years... Pinball and arcades are going to get hit hard. But, I think hopefully the health of the hobby will keep the good companies afloat.
    So, I think while it may never get to the heyday of yesteryear. And a good production run might be 2000-5000 sales instead which in the past was a normal production run. But, different era, different expectations and also different ways to manufacture.
    But, one thing is certain. Pinball is not going anywhere anytime soon.

And with the old guard will go the repair knowledge. Bunch of people sure now how to write $10K checks, but then they don't even know how to take the glass off their game, how to replace balls, or how to switch out bulbs. With these surface mount boards doing away with the "older analog" boards from the B/W days, we will have lots of 250 lbs paperweights.

Need proof? Look at the Stern nodeboard discussions.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-pinball-is-failing?tu=npo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.