(Topic ID: 240235)

Why pinball is failing

By timarnold

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    20190410_125246 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1277 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4220 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4219 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4218 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4211 (resized).JPG
    tenor.gif
    3B0A16B3-A45C-4E21-9A9E-37B8D7618B40 (resized).jpeg
    36421 (1).gif
    giphy.gif
    22C3FD0E-2054-4F0D-BE12-5B15835D28BA (resized).png
    0366FC05-3DA5-4CF6-9EBB-90959D6BD84B (resized).jpeg
    h792608E5 (resized).jpg
    The+internet+ruins+everything_6ca151_3781820 (resized).jpg

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 4 years ago

Guys,

Tim has been insulting to my wife and my kids. He hates kids. And my kids were not abusing or behaving poorly in any way. My kids have grown up with pinballs, arcades, skeeball, crane's etc. We have them in the game room and I would beat their ass if the abused the machines.

Its probably time to pass the torch man. You really have accomplished a ton. Either way best of luck Tim

#102 4 years ago

Sounds like I need to make a trip to Vegas with my kids, and do my part to make sure pinball does not fail.

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Isn't that happening with EM machines...

Yes.

#104 4 years ago

I took some pics of the various signage around the PHoF. This might help to clarify my messiahs... I mean, Tim's sense of humor.

And it might also help clarify his feelings towards other things, as well.

IMG_4211 (resized).JPGIMG_4211 (resized).JPGIMG_4214 (resized).JPGIMG_4214 (resized).JPGIMG_4218 (resized).JPGIMG_4218 (resized).JPGIMG_4219 (resized).JPGIMG_4219 (resized).JPGIMG_4220 (resized).JPGIMG_4220 (resized).JPG
    #105 4 years ago

Vegas is rough, kind of in a Daytona Beach way. Business Owners become rough because their Clientele is… rough. Just the nature of the whole thing.

#106 4 years ago

By the way, if I would have known how rare this silly game was, I would have taken more pix and spent more time playing it!

IMG_1277 (resized).JPGIMG_1277 (resized).JPG
    #107 4 years ago

I'm in Vegas from MI and plan on going to PHOF tomorrow. Will report back.

#108 4 years ago

prices of games says pinball is better than it has ever been. You barely could give away TZ's back in the day for $900.

#109 4 years ago

PHOF is fucking awesome. I don't give a shit if you can't get along with the crotchety owner or not. He's a freaking legend who's done more good for charity than anyone on this board. By FAR.

I met him once and he was cool and chill.

Keep being you, Tim. Although I know you don't need to be told.

(notice my avatar. Hitler 'Beard)

#110 4 years ago

I love what Tim does for the local community.
    I love that he's got a wide variety of games.
    I love that they're all so cheap; I can spend just $10 in an hour.
    I love that he's just 10 minutes from my daughter's house.
    I don't love his crotchetiness. But I love that he doesn't give a __.
    I've pitched in towards the new PHOP; I'm a fan of his mission.

I have appreciation for the hard work it takes to keep an old fashioned arcade running.
    I have appreciation that he's done it without the associated ways to augment income (ie a barcade).
    I have appreciation that he's finding it tough, especially with new game prices skyrocketing.

But, that said, I have a hard time going back to PHOP. Those blue half-rectified 60hz blinky LEDs. My eyes (or brain) absolutely hate low frequency blinky LEDs. So, even when it's convenient, I .. have a hard time dropping another hour's worth of quarters into the coin slots. This isn't unique to the museum though; half the games at shows have the same issue.

#111 4 years ago

I took some pics of the various signage around the PHoF.

if someone I didn't know (or did for that matter) came into my house and disrespected my machines , they get to take a pinball leg home with them . if they have it surgically removed or wear it as jewelery -up to them !!!

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

I'm in Vegas from MI and plan on going to PHOF tomorrow. Will report back.

Sorry I missed ya. Was there today. Tim was just as cheerful as always. Was glad I went this trip. Great to finally get a chance to play Munsters Premium and Deadpool pro in the wild.

#113 4 years ago

I do drunk posting sometimes too.. must have been what happened.

#114 4 years ago

Tim is like our hippy version of Willie Wonka (Gene Wilder version). The maybe angry, gruff, eccentric, with a heart of gold and the keys to the castle.

I've never had a problem there personally; I've even given a nod of gratitude to Tim and the others as they've come by and said "Thank you guys for all you do", and was even treated to a nod back. And yes, I understand that I have to drop quarters and pay for the privilege to be there.

In a somewhat recent, but memorable time there, I watched an out-of-control 8 year old running up and down the aisles, slapping people as they were playing. I watched Tim go over to the little punk, and in front of his mother and father and 2 other brothers, tell him to wait outside, right then and there, because he had called some guys to come take care of him, physically. The cherry on top was him telling the now clearly upset parents that they were welcome to stay inside and continue playing, but junior was not welcome in, and had to wait outside for his beating. It was their choice. Pure fucking-comedy-gold.

Yes, as we all know, ALL of the games are never perfect, and some things may be broken here and there, but what do you honestly expect from a place with 300 games? If I drop a quarter and something doesn't work, I either play the game out in a new and challenging way, or I move on to the next one. No big deal. This is not Replay or Banning, and has never been advertised, or claimed, as such.

The place is certainly eclectic and eccentric, and Tim is clearly a mashed-up-hodge-podge of a space alien, mad scientist, pirate, Dr. Emmet Brown, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, and possibly Professor Frink. I've always had a good time, and it's always been a place to kill a day while I'm in Vegas. The 7-11 500 feet down the street, that sells 2 tall-boy Coronas for 3 dollars is just an added bonus. Think of it as throwback 70's road-side attraction, and you'll have an absolute blast. I'm almost sad to see the ensuing modernization.

That said, I'm betting he's sitting back in Vegas right now with the pirates, laughing his ass off at the commotion he's caused on Pinside.

#115 4 years ago

Went out there today. Saw and talked to Tim briefly. Told him I was one of his customers at Pinball Pete's in East Lansing way back in the heyday. Asked him whatever happened to his French fry making machine which I thought was amazing. He said they got rid of it because it stunk up the joint.

The games played well. I spent most of the time on the EMs. There was a kid named Bradley that was running up and down the aisles. Tim was having none of it. Got on the parents about it who kept yelling his name lol.

Overall a good time. Looking forward to going back someday and seeing the new and improved PHOF.

Oh and I was a little pissed that I didn't have enough to roll this machine over

20190410_125246 (resized).jpg20190410_125246 (resized).jpg
    #116 4 years ago
    Quoted from Underspin:

Oh and I was a little pissed that I didn't have enough to roll this machine over [quoted image]

Damn, dude!! So close!!

1 week later
    #117 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

Tim is clearly a mashed-up-hodge-podge of a space alien, mad scientist, pirate, Dr. Emmet Brown, Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, and possibly Professor Frink.

The licensing fees for all those characters must be enormous! No wonder he needs donations.
    .................David Marston

1 year later
    #119 3 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

Clearly, we need to take out www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com - and make pinball great again.
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention Tim!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-pinball-is-failing/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.