(Topic ID: 240235)

Why pinball is failing

By timarnold

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    20190410_125246 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1277 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4220 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4219 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4218 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4214 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4211 (resized).JPG
    tenor.gif
    3B0A16B3-A45C-4E21-9A9E-37B8D7618B40 (resized).jpeg
    36421 (1).gif
    giphy.gif
    22C3FD0E-2054-4F0D-BE12-5B15835D28BA (resized).png
    0366FC05-3DA5-4CF6-9EBB-90959D6BD84B (resized).jpeg
    h792608E5 (resized).jpg
    The+internet+ruins+everything_6ca151_3781820 (resized).jpg

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

Operators are going broke all over the country. New games are selling as record low numbers. Players yawn at the latest machines. If we do not address the Elephant in the room, this hobby is doomed.
    When the internet was starting up, I thought nothing of it. Sitting looking at a screen is NOT the same as playing a game on location. But now, the internet is REALLY staring to cut into the business model we all depend on. I have lost hundreds of customers in the last year to one web site.....
    www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com
    WAKE UP FANBOYS!
    Marble games are not cute.
    Pinball does not purr.
    Gary Stern does not want to take over the world.
    KITLER DOES!

#2 4 years ago

OK ......

#3 4 years ago

What in the world are you drinking today to make you come up with this topic and stupid web link?
    -Mike

#4 4 years ago

This is not really making sense ?

#5 4 years ago

Because something better came along.

Same reason we all are not riding horses and using buggies something better came along.

Kids these day dont even like driving cars so you have Uber.

Might as well get used to it or learn to adapt.

#6 4 years ago

Dude, April 1st was about a week ago.

#7 4 years ago

a 99c app that i can play for hours beats a location that i have to drive to

#8 4 years ago

Did drfrightner get a secondary account? The rambling incoherent diatribe is a dead giveaway. Although, this poster isn't as long winded.

#9 4 years ago

This post is Exhibit A for alcohol causing frontal lobe disinhibition while also being a “depressant” drug!

<insert Principal vs. Billy Madison meme here>

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

Operators are going broke all over the country. New games are selling as record low numbers. Players yawn at the latest machines. If we do not address the Elephant in the room, this hobby is doomed.
    When the internet was starting up, I thought nothing of it. Sitting looking at a screen is NOT the same as playing a game on location. But now, the internet is REALLY staring to cut into the business model we all depend on. I have lost hundreds of customers in the last year to one web site.....
    WAKE UP FANBOYS!
    Pinball does not purr.
    KITLER DOES!

I was just about to write the same thing ! You Da Man , We Tequila Brothers !

#11 4 years ago

I suggest some good bud no crack or meth !

I bought a record number of pinballs this year ? I’m adding on to accommodate more pins ! Pinball is thriving dude

#12 4 years ago
    21E1AAE8-7CEC-462A-9F7F-46B134084A80 (resized).jpeg21E1AAE8-7CEC-462A-9F7F-46B134084A80 (resized).jpeg
    #13 4 years ago

How the heck are you going to downvote a great dude like Tim Arnold??!? That's some Dangerfield lack of respect.

#14 4 years ago

Clearly, we need to take out www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com - and make pinball great again.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Tim!

#15 4 years ago

Cue any post on the net from 1999-up.

Sky is falling. Sure.

Go sleep it off prophet.

#16 4 years ago

Da fuk is wrong with this guy?

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from TRC73:

How the heck are you going to downvote a great dude like Tim Arnold??!? That's some Dangerfield lack of respect.

Your right. And most of us can agree that we love what he does for the hobby but this post was a little nutty. So maybe I’ll just write it off as him being snarky and leave it at that. It is nice seeing him chime in again though. It’s been awhile

#18 4 years ago

Pinball doesn’t have to be “doing good” for me to have fun with it.

#19 4 years ago
    277D4F5C-601E-4451-86C8-3140777D49DC (resized).jpeg277D4F5C-601E-4451-86C8-3140777D49DC (resized).jpeg
    #20 4 years ago

:applause:I support my local location.

You think you got it bad, Kaneda keep lurking here and he's still ruining Pinside.

#21 4 years ago

We keep the "Why pinball is failing" leaflets right next to the "Why the Earth is flat" fliers.

#22 4 years ago

Tim, I have great respect for all you have done for pinball.
    With that said,
    You have become the crotchety old get off my lawn guy.
    I meet young people nearly every day that have just discovered pinball for the 1st time.
    Nearly every week a new location opens up near where I live.
    More shows, more exposure,
    More manufacturers thsince the 90’s.
    You say the internet has hurt pinball?
    The pinball arcade, papa tv,
    TNT videos,deadflip.
    The list goes on and on.
    Pinball is alive and thriving now even more in the public eye than it did in the 90’s.
    Seriously brother,
    Keep making the pinball hall of fame better.
    Keep exposing people to pinball.
    Stop being a grumpy Gus and smile.
    The future is so bright, you gotta wear shades.

#23 4 years ago

@Tim,
    Dont fight the windmills Don Quichot!
    Try to embrace the medium

Keep spreading the pinball love man, hang in there!!! more and more teens are comming out from behind the screens!

#24 4 years ago

Holy crap....I just realized the OP is Tim.

Dude rarely posts; this is his first in well over a month.

Either someone logged in to his account or he's having a strange day.

#25 4 years ago

Im a crotchety old man, and while I may not see it exactly as you Tim, I can see what you are trying to say.

Only that hopefully comes with being older, is wisdom. If you are 40, you are smarter than 30. etc.

If you have been in the Pinball Hobby/business for 40 years plus, you have knowledge and experience.

Right or wrong, Pinball will either be "fine, status quo", "Grow at a small rate", or "tank."

I feel the guys here on Pinside, other boards, and Hobbyists are fine, but I do see more people now leaving
    than growing. I do hear issues from Operators about a change in business.
    From all over the Globe, in so many areas, there is economic concern......
    Is the sky falling? Dont know, but not too much can be done...its bigger than me, Tim, or us.

I appreciate you Posting Tim, and all you have done...please dont let the Ribbing get in the way of your sharing.

Art

#26 4 years ago

The only operators that are failing are the ones that don’t maintain their games.
    Let them sit broken for months. Never clean them, then complain on the internet that pinball doesn’t make money.

Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!

#27 4 years ago

i think your marriage to Roseanne really screwed you up!

#28 4 years ago

Tim,

The pinball hall of fame is slowing because you are extremely rude and show your patrons no respect. I have been collecting and playing pinball for 19 yrs. I used to love coming to your location, but you and your staff treat people terrible. I was yelled at for nudging a machine several times. Set your tilts better if you dont want nudging, it is a huge part of pinball. I have taken friends and other non pinheads to your location and all of them have been offended and treated poorly. Honestly I am glad to hear you are reaping the rewards from your behavior. Honestly you could close down and I really wouldn't miss ya. Sorry man but the truth is what it is.

#29 4 years ago

Learn how to treat your customers better

#30 4 years ago

My buddy has been to vegas 20+ times and had never heard of the pinball hall of fame. Kinda weird..??

#31 4 years ago

As I've said before, if Tim would hire ONE full time tech that knows his shit, the PHOF would gain so much more business. The tech could train others to do simple maintenance that would prevent future mechanical failures so he could focus on board work and other more complicated work. Give me a week in that joint and I could have 90+% of his solid state games playing well if not perfect. He would make way more money for his charity, and everyone would be happy. The fact that he refuses to do this boggles my mind. My wife took me there for my birthday, and it was a complete letdown due to almost every machine that I wanted to play being broken in some significant way. The place gives pinball a bad name and WILL suffer from a lack of repeat business.

#32 4 years ago
    The+internet+ruins+everything_6ca151_3781820 (resized).jpgThe+internet+ruins+everything_6ca151_3781820 (resized).jpg
    #33 4 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

Operators are going broke all over the country.

Not just because of pinball. Coin op is tough. Touch screens dead, Golden Tees, half of them dead, E Tunes dead, Buck Hunters dead. That is why some operators are trying pinball.

You run the most successful arcade on the planet there has ever been. If things are so bad, why the new building ? You should get out now while you can.

LTG : )

#34 4 years ago

Lol, I think your declining customers has more to do with the lack of maintenance and customer service at the PHOF

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

But now, the internet is REALLY staring to cut into the business model we all depend on.

Xhampster is still cool though, right?

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

WAKE UP FANBOYS!
    Pinball does not purr.
    KITLER DOES!

This doesnt sound like something Tim would post at all....

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from timarnold:

Wow, 9000 pages of Kitlers...

...read you next live, I have to go!

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from TRC73:

You get butthurt because people gave Tim a thumbs down for his post then turn right around and give Lloyd a thumbs down for his post.
    Lloyd, a man who has helped keep location pinball going for 40 years.
    And has helped countless pinheads with tech support over the years.
    Pot, meet kettle.

#39 4 years ago

This right here is some quality shitposting.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from D_Struct:

This right here is some quality shitposting.

In before the lock.

#41 4 years ago

Tim, did your Pinside account get hacked?

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

This doesnt sound like something Tim would post at all....

Wonder if he's been hacked or something..

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Not just because of pinball. Coin op is tough. Touch screens dead, Golden Tees, half of them dead, E Tunes dead, Buck Hunters dead. That is why some operators are trying pinball.
    You run the most successful arcade on the planet there has ever been. If things are so bad, why the new building ? You should get out now while you can.

Top Golf has killed Golden Tee for all my friends. Guys I know who do Touch Tunes when we enter a bar drop $20-$40 throughout the night simply to piss people off, think non stop Abba, Spice Girls, Britney, etc. Raw Thrill is gotta be kept alive by Dave and Busters as I don't see their stuff in bars anymore...

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

He can's quit now, he has my $100 I donated to his new mecca

#45 4 years ago

Make the internet a pinball machine!

#46 4 years ago
    h792608E5 (resized).jpgh792608E5 (resized).jpg
    #47 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

The only operators that are failing are the ones that don’t maintain their games.
    Let them sit broken for months. Never clean them, then complain on the internet that pinball doesn’t make money.
    Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!

110% correct, though it is impossible to be more than 100% correct.
    By definition, that is the most one can be.

#48 4 years ago

As we all know, Tim isn’t exactly “normal.” But, this is a bit “out there.” Just calm down and sell me your Krull....

#49 4 years ago
    0366FC05-3DA5-4CF6-9EBB-90959D6BD84B (resized).jpeg0366FC05-3DA5-4CF6-9EBB-90959D6BD84B (resized).jpeg
    #50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

As I've said before, if Tim would hire ONE full time tech that knows his shit, the PHOF would gain so much more business. The tech could train others to do simple maintenance that would prevent future mechanical failures so he could focus on board work and other more complicated work. Give me a week in that joint and I could have 90+% of his solid state games playing well if not perfect. He would make way more money for his charity, and everyone would be happy. The fact that he refuses to do this boggles my mind. My wife took me there for my birthday, and it was a complete letdown due to almost every machine that I wanted to play being broken in some significant way. The place gives pinball a bad name and WILL suffer from a lack of repeat business.

TL;DR - don't be an asshole, or risk fading into oblivion.

You know, I remember a guy in our DeLorean community named Ed Bernstein. Guy was a complete and total asshole; he believed that DeLoreans should basically only sit in the round-about driveways of 8 bedroom mansions, that no one under 50 should own one, and that if you were under a certain age threshold, you were an inferior human being unless of course you had majorly deep pockets. You could ONLY do business with him if he was the ONLY person you ever did business with. You bought anything from anyone EVER - you were blacklisted, and he kept records - trust me.

When I first got my car in 2003-2004, he treated me like total shit when I reached out for help. He cursed me for doing business with anyone else, and that my car would never run without the part he had that I needed (we got it running like 2 months later at the end of restoring the engine).

Over the years, rumors and stories were going on about how he was completely segregating the entire community, and that he was hanging on by charging his most-dedicated customers insane prices. Parts on the defunct website would show something like $900 for a battery, and he limped on due to the loyalty of the people he knew when the car first came out in 1981.

Now, the majority of our community are "young whippersnappers" in our mid-30s with aftermarket parts, full engines/transmission swaps, re-designed suspensions, and total new EFI fuel systems - things that bring the car into the future. You mention his name to nearly anyone under 30 who owns a DeLorean, they will respond with "Who...?"

As for Ed, my understanding is he passed away, and his wife sold a majority of his stashed-away parts on eBay. I know because I bought some of them - a tachometer, a voltage/engine temperature gauge, and a oil pressure/fuel gauge - for less than the cost of a college textbook. His ex-business partner, Stephen Wynne, owns DeLorean Motor Company in Humble, Texas, and is considered the flagship for the vast majority of the "original car parts" community.

The moral: stop pushing your core community away, or you risk fading into nothingness.

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-pinball-is-failing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.