(Topic ID: 190806)

Why people are loving playing in total darkness?

By Cheese_WizardPQ

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tamoore
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Total darkness or plain day light?”

• Darkness. Only yourself and the pins light 74 votes
      76%
    • Natural light, nice sunshine warming you're back 23 votes
      24%

(97 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

I%2Bprefer%2Bthe%2Bbottomless%2Bparty%2B_a1874de2a38b922857c0fb113b8fe34d (resized).jpg
    Bright Light Spidey (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I just posted in the gameroom club telling I prefer playing my games with natural lights in the room instead of pitch dark basements. I feel happier at noon when it doesn't feel like midnight

I know most of people have to put their game in basements for space issues and it looks better with low lighting. But if you have the choice, what would you choose? And why? Let's add a poll for fun!
    (And let's say the light is not an issue on the glass)

#2 6 years ago

The only way to truly and scientifically get some resolution to this question would be to invite all of Pinside to a 3 day rager at your place. We'll get to the bottom of it for ya... guaranteed.

#3 6 years ago

Gryszzz you are a wise man

I'm amazed how pinside is now a "Star Wars and Alien" Pinball forum.
    Nothing else matter.
    So you will be the only one having a free week at my house

#4 6 years ago

Well alright!!!
    I can't wait to get there and talk with you about Star Wars and Alien for hours and hours.

#5 6 years ago

Go play your AFM at noon and get to strobe MB. Then do it again at midnight.

There's your answer.

#6 6 years ago

The light show on DW is amazing in pitch black darkness.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Well alright!!!
    I can't wait to get there and talk with you about Star Wars and Alien for hours and hours.

No prob

Quoted from NPO:

Go play your AFM at noon and get to strobe MB. Then do it again at midnight.
    There's your answer.

It looks like pinball is like making love to a woman; some prefers in the dark for the show, the screams and the WOW while others prefere....prefere...hmmm...I love the show too. Sign me in.

#8 6 years ago

I have some mixed lighting, spots, neon signs, etc but not overly bright.

There are a few games like Big Guns that are TOO dark and need a little extra help with outside lighting.

#9 6 years ago

Playing pinball is sometimes like watching a movie. I would not watch every movies in my basements, in pitch dark, away from the action of my family. But sometimes, the action and vibe needs it.

#10 6 years ago

What is this dark basement you speak of? Mine is powered by Comet Sunlight.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

What is this dark basement you speak of? Mine is powered by Comet Sunlight.

Pictures por favor?

#12 6 years ago

Sure. Here is one of me playing Spidey. I am just joking around. It is pretty dark in the pin dungeon but at least the cabinets don't fade.

Bright Light Spidey (resized).jpgBright Light Spidey (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

Lights off, pants off. The only way to play.

#14 6 years ago

You forgot dim light. I definitely don't like daylight or lights on but dim light is the best for me.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

Sure. Here is one of me playing Spidey. I am just joking around. It is pretty dark in the pin dungeon but at least the cabinets don't fade.

Haha
    The famous fade argument
    Pinballs are vampires.
    DO NOT insert garlic in it

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spankey:

You forgot dim light. I definitely don't like daylight or lights on but dim light is the best for me.

I think we have a winner.
    True. My gameroom has a 1h hour of half/half between sun and darkness. Usually the time to play BSD

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Lights off, pants off. The only way to play.

3 day bottomless rager! That's what I meant.
    I%2Bprefer%2Bthe%2Bbottomless%2Bparty%2B_a1874de2a38b922857c0fb113b8fe34d (resized).jpgI%2Bprefer%2Bthe%2Bbottomless%2Bparty%2B_a1874de2a38b922857c0fb113b8fe34d (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

3 day bottomless rager! That's what I meant.

Hmm, the BBM pinball machine?

#19 6 years ago

I play with the lights on. I just don't love playing bright machines in a dark room. Of course, half my GI is out at anytime and I can't tell until I sell a machine

#20 6 years ago

I better watch myself in this thread. This isn't the "basement" and I could get in trouble with a picture. (Backs out slowly)

#21 6 years ago

Pinball. Dimly lit room....machines all ablaze...pinball sounds blaring in my ears....flippers getting whaled on. YUP! Pinball.

#22 6 years ago

Not sure how to answer this poll. Don't like playing in complete darkness. My games are all LED and well-lighted for the most part. I do keep ceiling lights on a dimmer switch though with it turned down almost the whole way. With the lights completely off it creates a strobe effect on the machines with good light shows. Definitely no sunlight!

#23 6 years ago

I like them in basements or rooms with low light. Not totally dark though. Medium light.

Basically they way there were in an arcade or commercial gameroom setting in the late 70's - early 80's.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I like them in basements or rooms with low light. Not totally dark though. Medium light.
    Basically they way there were in an arcade or commercial gameroom setting in the late 70's - early 80's.

Or in a bar!

Definitely not natural light, nice sunshine warming I'm back!

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Or in a bar!
    Definitely not natural light, nice sunshine warming I'm back!

Yeah but sometimes in a bar it was actually a little too dark but still cool.

#26 6 years ago

Dim-Sunlight-No Pants-No Gryzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#27 6 years ago

I think you need to expand the poll to include different levels of illuminence. For instance I like to play with a lux level of around maybe 1 or slightly less.

#28 6 years ago

I prefer total darkness. You get the full lightshow and what ever happens to sneek up.

#29 6 years ago

Subdued lighting from proper angles. I've had two games that needed more light over them. WOZ because it was too dark. GOT because the lighting effects were blinding. But other than those, I like dim light behind the player. It helps set the gameroom feel.

#30 6 years ago

I play in darkness, mostly. When my arcade is 100% lit (all games, black lights, neon, etc. on), it's pretty bright in there however. As dark as I can get it I guess is my answer.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-people-are-loving-playing-in-total-darkness?hl=boodog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.