Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I look in the marketplace frequently and notice people list their machine as only being for trade. I get this is a hobby for many, and when participating in a hobby, trading is done quite often. However, I don't understand why you would want to box yourself in when trying to get rid of one machine and pick up a "new" one. I can see offering it up for sale for a certain price and also offering it up for trade for a few desired machines in return. Obviously, to each his/her own. And not trying to bash anyone who only wants to trade.
    What say you all?

#2 5 years ago

It's easier to trade a machine with one person than to setup a deal to sell to one person and then buy from another.

#3 5 years ago

When you think your $1500 game is worth $2500, listing it for trade is a reasonable way for you to get another $1500 machine that you think is worth $2500. Compare that with trying to sell your $1500 game for $2500.

I doubt the above is the actual reason people try to trade their machines, but I do think it helps make some trades happen.

#4 5 years ago

No empty spaces in the lineup. Saves a lot of time. And you don't have thousands of dollars sitting around.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from rogerroger:

owever, I don't understand why you would want to box yourself in when trying to get rid of one machine and pick up a "new" one. I can see offering it up for sale for a certain price and also offering it up for trade for a few desired machines in return. Obviously, to each his/her own. And not trying to bash anyone who only wants to trade.
    What say you all?

Some people don't want their spouse to know they have cash available...else-wise it could be re-designated for non-pinball use on them... Similarly, they might not want to leave the slot open, else-wise the space could be re-opened for non-pinball use on them...

#6 5 years ago

Could be a number of reasons. I've done a few trades only for different reasons. the easy of the deal mentioned above is usually the primary one - we each get a game we want and it's over and done with. In other cases, I don't "need" the money, I like having games, and in a lot of cases my games are worth more to me personally than people would want to pay me in cash, but in a trade situation people seem easier to deal with when it comes to give or taking a few bucks either way.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from rogerroger:

What say you all?

I agree. While trading does make it one transaction instead of two, it makes it much more difficult to find a match. Trading for cash is much easier.

#8 5 years ago

I want the other game(s) more, but I don't dislike what I'm offering, so I'd rather keep it around to play than have 'down time' trying to find one of the other games

#9 5 years ago

I always figured it was a maximizing value sort of thing. If I trade my NIB machine that I'm losing money on for someone else's NIB machine that they are losing money on, and can kind of mitigate the damage a little bit, we both walk away happy enjoying new games.

#10 5 years ago

In Alaska, not alot of options. I list trades on CL so I maintain my collection. Sell it and the next one may be a while and maybe not one I want. Can always sell one but cannot always buy one.

#11 5 years ago

Not really the circumstances that you are talking about, but sometimes with the very rare games you will see one collector have multiples just to use for trade bait on rare titles they do not have.

#12 5 years ago

I only do trades with friends. Doing a trade with someone I don't know can leave me both issues I don't like (you not being happy, me not being happy). So if I don't know you well, it will be cash for the game and our transaction is complete.

As for the original question, I think it is a way people are trying to avoid the price police. They can put a sky high value on the game and then say "it is for trade".

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from rogerroger:

I look in the marketplace frequently and notice people list their machine as only being for trade. I get this is a hobby for many, and when participating in a hobby, trading is done quite often. However, I don't understand why you would want to box yourself in when trying to get rid of one machine and pick up a "new" one. I can see offering it up for sale for a certain price and also offering it up for trade for a few desired machines in return. Obviously, to each his/her own. And not trying to bash anyone who only wants to trade.
    What say you all?

For me, it completely eliminates the nickel-and-diming that happens when you try to sell or buy a game “oh, but this mod, and this was the only playfield made in the month of April that has this inspected-by sticker on it so it’s worth another $500”

The decision is - do I like the game more than the other game I’ve decided I’m tired of? And is it in reasonably similar condition? Ok cool let’s do this.

You wouldn’t trade a CQ game most likely - because the set of potential traders is so much smaller

#14 5 years ago

I generally don’t even respond to trade only threads. Too complicated and people on the other end are generally looking to trade up and get the better end of the deal. Not to mention I don’t want to get rid of any of the machines I currently have. If my cash is no good and it’s trade only I generally move along to the next. The cash will run out long befor the machines do.

#15 5 years ago

I like trades because:
    1) it's faster to get a new machine. Trade and you're done. Otherwise I have to find a buyer that actually commits and then I have to track down the perfect machine which leads me to #2.

2) not a lot of fair priced machines out there. And when you do find one, there seems to be a dozen others already in line.

#16 5 years ago

for me....

1) Because I'm bored of my machine and want to try something new.
    2) Keeps it as a single transaction... only 1 person to deal with
    3) Easy to explain to the wife (she doesn't care as long as I'm not spending more money.
    4) More likely to be dealing with another pinhead, so machine will hopefully have less unexpected problems pop up 15 minutes after you set it up at home
    5) Sometimes you don't really care what your new machine is... just want something different, so see what others have and let fate decide.

#17 5 years ago

Tax reasons.
    When you are out of money and space.

#18 5 years ago

If you do a trade, the other party might bring the new game to you, eliminating the need to load up and transport the game.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

No empty spaces in the lineup. .

What he said. I already have a small collection so trades are appealing. That, and I'm not super eager to get rid of my games.

#20 5 years ago

Best way to get some people off games that they'd never sell or place on the market. SOME pinsiders always have a few thousand laying around so cash doesn't entice them.......but a tile they want more than what they have......yep, let's trade.

#21 5 years ago

People trade only to coax someone to get rid of a game they would really rather keep. They want the trade offered more and can't find a for-sale option. I've definitely given up something I didn't want to let go of because I wanted another game. Pinheads will sometimes buy games just to use as trade bait when they know it's a hot title (and they're looking for something hard-to-find).

#22 5 years ago

Games are hard to find these days. A trade opens up new doors to machines that might not readily available. I find you normally can make more with a cash sale, but when I spend 100 or more in gas and 12 hours driving to get a machine i'd rather just get an even trade.

#23 5 years ago

Thanks for the responses. All compelling reasons. I guess I don’t have enough free time for it to matter if I get rid of one and have to wait for another that I like to become available.

#24 5 years ago

I have asked to pay cash for a trade only pin and the deal was done. Does not hurt to ask.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from rogerroger:

I don't understand why you would want to box yourself in when trying to get rid of one machine and pick up a "new" one.

I host tournaments and leagues. I don’t want to risk not being able to fill the hole left by selling a game. I’d rather trade. If the trade never happens, no worries. I still have a full fleet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-only-trade?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.