2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by GorillaBiscuits
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Newer to the scene and have noticed that many owners refuse to sell and want only to trade their pins. Why not sell and just buy what you want? Could some experienced pinsiders enlighten me? Much appreciated!

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Newer to the scene and have noticed that many owners refuse to sell and want only to trade their pins. Why not sell and just buy what you want? Could some experienced pinsiders enlighten me? Much appreciated!

If they sell, their significant other will put a fine china cabinet in the pinball's place.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Two words: trade bait.

#4 2 years ago

Easy one in and one out. They do not want to have an empty space for who knows how long? They still like the game enough, so they will miss it a little if they sell, but if they get a certain new one they want more they will be happy.

#5 2 years ago

Maybe the game you'd potentially sell is one you love, but you find another game
    you love a little bit more. In my case, I'm all out of space... so nothing comes in before another comes out.

So I could list my game, and hope it sells and is picked up before somebody buys the one I want... or do a trade. It all depends on how badly you want the game and how flexible you can be with timing. I've done it both ways and there's really no absolute answer.

#6 2 years ago

I think once you have a critical mass of games in your collection, a wishlist, and space issues, the hobby becomes self sustaining...

You "could" buy another pin or just make a trade +\- a small amount of cash and then you're free to blow the big bucks on a vacation or home improvements or other non-pin toys!

#7 2 years ago

Because a stack of hundred dollar bills in my hand is very un satisfying . I have money what I want is to feel the cold metal of a lockdown bar in my palms of a my new favorite machine.

AND
    a lot of times when you have the sought after game the other machine will be brought to you ,so very little effort is required to get another game into the lineup.
    If I sell and find the game I want, now I have to go get it and bring it home.

So perhaps Trading is a byproduct of Laziness ??

My 2c

Sir Brian of Ortonville

#8 2 years ago

Canadian Dollar.

......It's easier to trade your pin on what you want up here, than look like a dirty pin flipper selling your machine for the equivalent/converted US value.

#9 2 years ago

Another guess: asking prices are too high, but it's easy to agree that a Fish Tales is worth about as much as a Judge Dredd?

#10 2 years ago

Because certain games are impossible to find

Id like to one day own a MM, hard to find here and way over priced. Be great to find an owner who would be willing to trade for a CV + $

#11 2 years ago

I have often only sold when I have a lock on what I want to replace a game. So if there's a trade i'm interested in it's that much easier.

#12 2 years ago

I have traded a lot of games. Not just pins. Trading is always more challenging to pull off. That's not the only reason it appeals to me. I am only looking to acquire games on my want list. It's fairly unspecific I suppose... But all of those titles that can be easily found, I have either owned them already, or I own them now and I just want a better example of the game for me collection. Some of us have been doing this for 10-20-30 years and longer. I basically have the games I want and have decided to not trade or sell any of them unless I get crazy offers or see a game on my want list pop up for sale locally.

With the last trade I made (last year) the other party approached me about it. It was for a game I never owned so I said what the heck. I ended up repairing a few minor things on it and selling it when my friend closed his arcade. I don't regret any of it. It's just part of the hobby to me. I trade for a lot of games (or buy them) and make them play very good. If I'm not in love with the game after about 6 months, it goes bye-bye.

2 weeks later
    #13 2 years ago

Sometimes with cash in hand other things show up not pinball related to buy (possibly your other half might be eyeing a expensive purchase and with that cash in site....) ...if you trade for a another pin you can't spend it on other stuff.

#14 2 years ago

Never got into the trade thing, seemed like just another bunch of hoop's to jump through. Plus if I was looking for a certain title the only guy that had the game I wanted was on the other side of the world it seemed like and I'm not about to ship a game in a trade deal. I always had the cash ready to buy the game I wanted and then I'd sell off the games I didn't want. Simple, over and done with.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#15 2 years ago

Trading usually doesn't work out, but I've had a lot of fun discussing possible trade offers with people. It also recently led to me trading my GOT LE for a MMR, and my RBION for a TOM... I had played them both to death over the course of a year and was ready from something new. I had to throw in some cash for both deals, and in the end both parties were happy. It feels great to get the breakdown and setup for the old and the new in the same day. I don't think I would do the meet halfway thing and swap in a parking lot however.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 13.00
    Playfields
    Lermods
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    £ 20.00
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    € 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    $ 159.00
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 219.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside