(Topic ID: 123841)

why no...the Munsters pin?

By tp

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Munsters cars.jpg
    Lidsville.jpeg
    Petticoat-Junction-w-paper-classic-television-revisited-2351011-1500-1169.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

God only knows why, but my waking thought this morning was why no Munsters pin. Could be an instant classic, what do others think?

#2 9 years ago

musters wasn't that good of a show. Good when you are a kid but didn't age well.

#3 9 years ago

Eddie Munster aka Butch Patrick liked our WOZ and said 'hell ya' to licensing for a pinball, not that it's his call...

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #4 9 years ago

I like the Munsters, but I think Nightmare Before Christmas would be way better (and is owned by Disney, so the license should be doable for Stern).

#5 9 years ago

Why no......Dobie Gillis pin.....???!!...............Joey

#6 9 years ago

They did addams family instead.

#7 9 years ago

Why no "Munsters" pin? Well there are quite a few hurdles to jump:

Character licensing.

Music licensing.

Actors and actors estates/relatives licensing.

Those things could add up to big bucks, especially on the music since ASCAP is starting to kick up it's heels about pinball music now.

#8 9 years ago

Why no Green Acres pin?

#9 9 years ago

I'd like to see a TAF re-make using the original TV series artwork and voice call-out.

Exact same playfield lay-out and rule-set.

#10 9 years ago

Everyone I knew (80's HS grads) loved the Munsters, but wasn't into the Addams Family TV shows. Besides, the Munster's had all the sweet cars.

I'd love a Munsters machine... That all said, I do love our TAF machine...

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

Why no Green Acres pin?

Always wondered why the town was called Hooter-ville?
    Petticoat-Junction-w-paper-classic-television-revisited-2351011-1500-1169.jpgPetticoat-Junction-w-paper-classic-television-revisited-2351011-1500-1169.jpg

#12 9 years ago

Maybe the Hooterville girls should have been in the Whoa Nellie pin?

#13 9 years ago

Munsters and Addams Family came out the same week on Network TV in the early 60's. Similar themes, The Addams Family was alway considered "the better one" - got better ratings, had Feature Films, and of course TAF Pinball.

#14 9 years ago

The Munsters also had a feature film: "Munster Go Home" and it was in Technicolor!

#15 9 years ago

Why no "One day at a time" pinball?

#16 9 years ago

Yeah I remember that movie

there was a museum of look a like robots
    Herman & Grandpa went on their adventure

good stuff

DARN DARN DARN DARN DARN (S H A K E S H O U S E )

hehehehe

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Why no "One day at a time" pinball?

You got me LOL on that one. Awesome. Schneider's Maintenance Man Multi-ball?

#18 9 years ago

Personally I liked the Munsters more than the Adams family. Scared stiff, monster bash, Adams family, elvira....I think comedic horror themes do well, as would the Munsters imo.

#19 9 years ago

A Munsters pin would be bitchin'!

Where do I pre-order?

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I'd like to see a TAF re-make using the original TV series artwork and voice call-out.
    Exact same playfield lay-out and rule-set.

This is already doable - with PinSound, you could completely replace all music and call outs (and even add a shaker motor). Then just replace the translite with a nice B/W TV cast ensemble and voila! - conversion complete!

#21 9 years ago

Why no Mr. Ed pin....???............Joey

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

Personally I liked the Munsters more than the Adams family. Scared Stiff, Monster Bash, Adams family, Elvira....I think comedic horror themes do well, as would the Munsters imo.

I always liked Munsters more than Addams - but Munsters killed its post-show legacy a bit when every single stab at bringing it back was terrible. Addams lingered in the public consciousness a bit more - and the 2 90's movies were really good - rare for an old-show-turned-movie, which gave it some credibility as something that wasn't just a fad gimmick show. The most recent try at Munsters, "Mockingbird Lane" was awful. I think the new film produced by the Wayans Bros has been shelved. Many of us have fond memories of The Munsters, but it's pretty much gone from pop culture at this point & its hardcore fanbase is pretty niche....and that's why you probably won't see a pin of it.

#23 9 years ago

I love The Munsters but with people arguing that its not a good show, well I can think of a couple pins that are based on crappy themes that have some great gameplay.

There is a lot of way to incorporate the theme but like others say the licensing would be a pain.

This is a little off topic but has anyone played Midnight Mutants on the Atari 7800. Its a game that only featured Grandpa but it was pretty fun. Since i brought up the 7800 i also have to mention Ninja Golf

#24 9 years ago

I've mentioned before the Musters tried to reboot lately and failed pretty hard...so i don;t know if that's a glowing review.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

I love The Munsters but with people arguing that its not a good show, well I can think of a couple pins that are based on crappy themes that have some great gameplay.

Crap themes/good gameplay argument is fine if the game is 20 years old and you get it cheap at a garage sale. I have plenty of games with themes I don't care about...but that's because they were "cheap". When people are discussing themes for new games, the theme has to resonate because that game is going to cost you $5-8k or more. A game could have the best gameplay ever, but if someone doesn't like the theme - it's going to be a very hard sell at a high price.

#26 9 years ago

Why no Father Knows Best pin?

#27 9 years ago

Munsters Slot Machine - IGT I Game Plus

Bring back the days when you watched the Munsters on television. There are two bonus rounds on this game. Get 3 Dragon symbols and watch the staircase open and once the dragon's fire appears you win a bonus. The main bonus round you have to match the Munsters characters and if you pick Marylyn you can win 2X the bonus award.

Regular play on this 5-reel, 9-line game is irresistible fun and filled with your favorite Munsters characters.

Works well for a slot, would work for a pin

#28 9 years ago

What about a Silver Spoons Pinball.... At least Ricky had an Arcade in his house!!!

#29 9 years ago

Nothing is impossible
    All it takes is for a pinball manufacturer to havefond memories and the will to make it happen

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from uzi1951:

That's what Gary said about Wheel of Fortune and CSI...

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

All it takes is for a pinball manufacturer to havefond memories and the will to make it happen

Haven't there already been enough Playboy pinball machines?

#32 9 years ago

I am 27 years old and only recently introduced myself to both of the shows. I like them both for different reasons. Mainly, however, I prefer Munsters. Gotta love Grandpa.

It would be cool to have the stairwell ramp raise and Spot the dragon come grab the ball. Think of the cool mods you could put in with the cars that they had in it. Grandpa's drag racing coffin would be awesome.

#33 9 years ago

When we promoted toy shows some years ago, we had Butch Patrick at one of our shows to sign autographs. I was responsible for picking him up at the airport, and I remember saying to myself how am I going to know who he is, I have only seen him when he was a little kid on tv. Well, when he got off the plane, it wasnt hard to tell who he was, he looked identical, and was damn near just as short! He also had a wolf doll, which kind of gave it away. I got to spend the weekend with him, which was cool. Kind of feel bad for the guy though, he peaked at age 10.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from forensicd:

Kind of feel bad for the guy though, he peaked at age 10.

Not exactly...

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Haven't there already been enough Playboy pinball machines?

No

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from forensicd:

Kind of feel bad for the guy though, he peaked at age 10.

Yeah, that is kind of sad.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

Yeah, that is kind of sad.

Didn't you guys ever watch Lidsville?

Lidsville.jpegLidsville.jpeg

#38 9 years ago

he widow's peaked at 10, at least.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Crap themes/good gameplay argument is fine if the game is 20 years old and you get it cheap at a garage sale. I have plenty of games with themes I don't care about...but that's because they were "cheap". When people are discussing themes for new games, the theme has to resonate because that game is going to cost you $5-8k or more. A game could have the best gameplay ever, but if someone doesn't like the theme - it's going to be a very hard sell at a high price.

To be honest none of the stern themes grab me and they don't really handle themes all that great anyways. I did like the comic look of X-men(instead of the movies) but besides that the only recent licensed themes I've liked has been TBL and Predator(which we all know how that's going). Alien should be awesome but we really haven't seen much yet.

if JJP did WOZ then i think Munsters could work and there's a market of people that want another Horror type themed pin. There are a lot of us monster nerds.

Also I love seeing the non licensed games like WOOLY

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Didn't you guys ever watch Lidsville?
    Lidsville.jpeg

man all of the sid and marty krofft stuff is just plain awesome.

#41 9 years ago

Well, since there was a Gilligan's Island pin....why not?

The sad fact is, even though old guys like us know and like The Munsters, we're in the minority. Ask most people under 30 about The Munsters, and you'll get blank stares.

A side note... I participated and lost in a storage auction for the belongings of Yvonne DiCarlo. The guy that won it paid a crazy amount of money. Turns out, it was picked through and contained mostly old furniture and clothes. It was Munster free.

#42 9 years ago

The only reason to watch the Munsters was the George Barris Cars.

#43 9 years ago

Neither TAF or The Munsters shows really hold up after 50 years, but they are both cult classics and ran for generations in syndication. Horror theme pins kick ass, and a Munsters pin would be huge IMHO.

#44 9 years ago

I thought the writing for the Munsters was smarter but Adams Family had the much better movies. Raul Julia's voice work I thought really made the pin. I have been playing a bunch of games on Future Pinball and the custom machines that have alphanumeric displays but great sound effects didn't bother me. I would take excellent sound over a DMD or LCD anyday.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from uzi1951:

Munsters Slot Machine - IGT I Game Plus
    Bring back the days when you watched the Munsters on television. There are two bonus rounds on this game. Get 3 Dragon symbols and watch the staircase open and once the dragon's fire appears you win a bonus. The main bonus round you have to match the Munsters characters and if you pick Marylyn you can win 2X the bonus award.
    Regular play on this 5-reel, 9-line game is irresistible fun and filled with your favorite Munsters characters.

Don't forget that besides the video slot on the I Game Plus platform there was a three reel stepper motor Munsters slot on the S+ platform. I could be wrong on the platform name as I'm more of a Bally guy.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

The only reason to watch the Munsters was the George Barris Cars.

They'd make great playfield toys!

Munsters cars.jpgMunsters cars.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-nothe-munsters-pin?hl=barryj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.