(Topic ID: 310045)

Why Not?

By badbilly27

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If Stern offered a swappable playfield option for new game would you buy it?”

• Yes 25 votes
      19%
    • Maybe 26 votes
      20%
    • No way, prefer traditional game 80 votes
      61%

(131 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9EF4D30C-D63D-4E59-800A-9F786CC4E243 (resized).jpeg
    same.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Saltimbanco.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why not? Because it's a bad idea that nobody wants*
    It's been tried many times and it never catches on because it's a stupid idea, and stupider than ever now that the majority of games are being sold to home buyers.
    Home buyers don't want them. Storing extra populated playfields in boxes takes up almost as much room as a game itself. Nobody wants a game room full of boxed playfields and one functioning game. Nobody wants to spends time swapping out playfields when they are drinking with their buddies. Nobody wants to say "hey check out my cool game room!" only to show off a room to their buddies with one generic cabinet and a ton of musty playfields in boxes.
    Ops don't want them. Ops need equipment that earns, not a bunch of playfields in storage. Ops need attractive equipment to lure in dollars, not generic cabinets.
    Both ops and home buyers have been given NUMEROUS chances over the past 45 years to latch on to the brilliantly innovative idea of "swappable playfields." Conversion kits. Pin2k. Doctor Who and Congo in the 90s...the "playfield swap" idea has ALWAYS failed and it will always fail yet this failed concept is always a rock star in every "innovation" thread.
    *Also...playfields ARE swappable. You think Stern or any other company completely changes their hardware and production system for every single game? Just buy a bunch of populated Spike 2 playfields and get a Spike 2 game and swap to your hearts content. Boom!

Like the man said, I don't want it. Just too much work for me anyway. Even if you make it perfectly swappable, I'll still need storage space, extra parts, tools, some kind of workshop and the ability to put things together. Then, where's that instant feeling of pressing the 'start' button to play games right away? "Sorry babe, you can't play Mando, I've swapped the pf for GOT, maybe next week if I have the time?"

Nah, not interested!

#165 2 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Interesting the poll shows 50 yes/maybe to 75 No votes.
    Btw...great comments pro & against.

Indeed, but a poll based on peeps that voted without any price point and/or have some form of interest for this (either way if they're for it or not!). Open it up to a more diverse group of people, add some sort of costing scheme.. not sure you'd be looking at the same results and probably the percentage of 'swappers' would be quite smaller.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Saltimbanco.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not?tu=Saltimbanco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.