(Topic ID: 310045)

Why Not?

By badbilly27

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If Stern offered a swappable playfield option for new game would you buy it?”

• Yes 25 votes
      19%
    • Maybe 26 votes
      20%
    • No way, prefer traditional game 80 votes
      61%

(131 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9EF4D30C-D63D-4E59-800A-9F786CC4E243 (resized).jpeg
    same.gif
    There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 2 years ago

Why don't all pinball manufacturers (Stern, JJP, Spooky, AP, etc) employ a swappable playfield like Pinball 200 or Multimorphic?

Reasons to consider:

1. The hobby has evolved and boasts talented group of people who mod and refurbish games = not afraid to unplug, update code and remove a playfield

2. Many of these same hobbyists are managing on location games = easier to rotate game titles without moving machines

3. Improve manufacturing production and time to market efficiencies = no cabinet resource needs removing cost and time to build

4. Hobbyists and home collectors will own more titles = space less limitation and spend more $$ (meaning own more titles - we're collectors)

5. Conservation and recycle always top consideration for company's to contribute = saving wood (I just wanted to say saving wood lol)

Always an option for buying a full traditional machine but I do think it may be time for revisiting this innovation first started by pinball 2000 and now being used by Multi.

Thoughts?

#2 2 years ago

Because they can make more money by keeping them all the same same but different but still same.

same.gifsame.gif

#3 2 years ago

This has been discussed ad-nauseum here.

All that does is save you the cost of the cabinet (which is a minor part of the cost to develop/design/build a machine). And drives up the cost of everything else in the machine. And puts a bunch of extra limitations on what you can do and still be "compatible" with previous machines.

And then, you've bought 1 "full" machine, and a couple of more "half" machines to interchange with them. But you've only got one machine at a time that can be earning (or played) - while you've got to maintain storage for the parts that are not currently installed.

Seems like a lose-lose situation to me. The P3 system has not exactly set the world on fire. And Williams tried it with Pin2000 and it failed miserably.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

All that does is save you the cost of the cabinet (which is a minor part of the cost to develop/design/build a machine). And drives up the cost of everything else in the machine. And puts a bunch of extra limitations on what you can do and still be "compatible" with previous machines.
    And then, you've bought 1 "full" machine, and a couple of more "half" machines to interchange with them. But you've only got one machine at a time that can be earning (or played) - while you've got to maintain storage for the parts that are not currently installed.
    Seems like a lose-lose situation to me. The P3 system has not exactly set the world on fire. And Williams tried it with Pin2000 and it failed miserably.

This sums it up pretty nicely. In theory it sounds like such a great concept but in reality maybe not so much. Would like to hear from those that have a revenge from mars/star wars combo and how often they swap.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Also, why change what's been working so well? Stern et al aren't suffering.

#6 2 years ago

Why not? Because it's a bad idea that nobody wants*

It's been tried many times and it never catches on because it's a stupid idea, and stupider than ever now that the majority of games are being sold to home buyers.

Home buyers don't want them. Storing extra populated playfields in boxes takes up almost as much room as a game itself. Nobody wants a game room full of boxed playfields and one functioning game. Nobody wants to spends time swapping out playfields when they are drinking with their buddies. Nobody wants to say "hey check out my cool game room!" only to show off a room to their buddies with one generic cabinet and a ton of musty playfields in boxes.

Ops don't want them. Ops need equipment that earns, not a bunch of playfields in storage. Ops need attractive equipment to lure in dollars, not generic cabinets.

Both ops and home buyers have been given NUMEROUS chances over the past 45 years to latch on to the brilliantly innovative idea of "swappable playfields." Conversion kits. Pin2k. Doctor Who and Congo in the 90s...the "playfield swap" idea has ALWAYS failed and it will always fail yet this failed concept is always a rock star in every "innovation" thread.

*Also...playfields ARE swappable. You think Stern or any other company completely changes their hardware and production system for every single game? Just buy a bunch of populated Spike 2 playfields and get a Spike 2 game and swap to your hearts content. Boom!

#7 2 years ago

CrazyLevi has spoken , no further comments are needed , this can now be posted as resolved and locked !

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbeardsley:

Pin2000 and it failed miserably

Pin2000 was a success as far as sales go according to Roger Sharpe and the available production numbers.
    Champion Pub 1369 units
    Monster Bash - 3361
    Revenge From Mars - 6878
    Star Wars Episode I - 3525
    (source- IPDB)

#9 2 years ago

The idea of swappable playfields sounds great until my back starts twitching.

#10 2 years ago

The ability to swap PFs is the actual problem with having a swappable PF machine

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Storing extra populated playfields in boxes takes up almost as much room as a game itself.

You can fit two boxes with populated playfields under a P3 cabinet.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ops need equipment that earns, not a bunch of playfields in storage.

Ops sell off their 'old' equipment anyway. It doesn't much matter whether you sell an entire game or an old playfield. The biggest drawback in my mind is it locks you into that ecosystem and at this point that's not practical for an Operator.

Recall too that video games were not swappable until the JAMMA standard was widely adopted. Operators were happy to buy conversion kits instead of whole new games.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ops need attractive equipment to lure in dollars, not generic cabinets.

The artwork is also swapable.

#12 2 years ago

Are repeated playfield swaps even doable for pinball given how many fragile pieces are present on a relatively heavy board? It just seems like stuff would inevitably get broken during swaps leading to frustrated customers.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Are repeated playfield swaps even doable for pinball given how many fragile pieces are present on a relatively heavy board?

Yes.

#14 2 years ago

I meant on an actual physical pinball machine of course, I wonder if the typical buyer could do repeated swaps without breaking something.

#15 2 years ago

I meant on an actual physical pinball machine of course, I wonder if the typical buyer could do repeated swaps without breaking something.

In pinball, mo connectors = mo problems.

I really think it’s moot anyway. If “swappable playfields” were something people wanted, they’d exist. The market has spoken on this, decade after decade.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

In pinball, mo connectors = mo problems.

the problem with pinball connectors is they use the cheapest connectors they can buy when they are manufactured .......If they spent a little extra money we would have less then half the problems we have now .....I have worked with all sorts of connectors in my life in the avionics and commercial equipment field and I can tell you that there are far better and more reliable connectors out there.
    We would be a whole lot better off if pinball just stuck with the old jones connectors those things are damn near bullet proof and many are still working after 50 years

#17 2 years ago

Like I tell most people with business ideas who don’t have money - do the marketing analytics, write a business plan, raise capital, take the risks, and bring your idea to market by betting on yourself instead of telling others how to run their business or spend their money.

Ever watch Shark Tank? One of their top reasons for not funding a venture is when the person with the idea hasn't put their own money and full dedication into the product.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's been tried many times and it never catches on because it's a stupid idea, and stupider than ever now that the majority of games are being sold to home buyers.
    Home buyers don't want them. Storing extra populated playfields in boxes takes up almost as much room as a game itself. Nobody wants a game room full of boxed playfields and one functioning game. Nobody wants to spends time swapping out playfields when they are drinking with their buddies. Nobody wants to say "hey check out my cool game room!" only to show off a room to their buddies with one generic cabinet and a ton of musty playfields in boxes.
    Ops don't want them. Ops need equipment that earns, not a bunch of playfields in storage. Ops need attractive equipment to lure in dollars, not generic cabinets.
    Both ops and home buyers have been given NUMEROUS chances over the past 45 years to latch on to the brilliantly innovative idea of "swappable playfields." Conversion kits. Pin2k. Doctor Who and Congo in the 90s...the "playfield swap" idea has ALWAYS failed and it will always fail yet this failed concept is always a rock star in every "innovation" thread.
    *Also...playfields ARE swappable. You think Stern or any other company completely changes their hardware and production system for every single game? Just buy a bunch of populated Spike 2 playfields and get a Spike 2 game and swap to your hearts content. Boom!

Like the man said, I don't want it. Just too much work for me anyway. Even if you make it perfectly swappable, I'll still need storage space, extra parts, tools, some kind of workshop and the ability to put things together. Then, where's that instant feeling of pressing the 'start' button to play games right away? "Sorry babe, you can't play Mando, I've swapped the pf for GOT, maybe next week if I have the time?"

Nah, not interested!

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. It’s not like old arcade games that simply required a board set swap and maybe joy sticks.

#20 2 years ago

Why not....add kitted games to the subject line?

Sorry, couldn't resist

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Doctor Who and Congo in the 90s...t

Is there a story to this I'm not aware of? Did they try to do conversions/swappable playfields with these 2 games in particular?

#22 2 years ago

So how many people have done a Full Throttle/Alien swap? I'd imagine zero.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Like the man said, I don't want it.

Well, I do.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just buy a bunch of populated Spike 2 playfields and get a Spike 2 game and swap to your hearts content. Boom!

Is that actually possible to buy a populated playfield from Stern? What would it cost? Maybe it’s time for me to get a Stern game. I don’t really care about cabinet art or the backglass so if that’s a viable option…

#24 2 years ago

Virtual Pin cabinets seem to bridge the gap here. One cab, thousand pins.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Virtual Pin cabinets seem to bridge the gap here. One cab, thousand pins.

Yup - did that.

However, upon further reflection, the incentive from Stern to allow people to swap playfields would be minimal, unless they sold a pf for about $250 less than a whole game. I agree that most of the “new” is in the playfield and I assume I get the code for free from the homepage and the cabinet art is already done. And customers making mistakes while swapping playfields would be a nightmare.

Still not convinced, though, that there’s no market for it.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Also, why change what's been working so well? Stern et al aren't suffering.

Henry Ford said the same thing. The only color is black. Change gave us color dmd, led, usb, wireless code updates, QR code...... Change is good.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Home buyers don't want them. Storing extra populated playfields in boxes takes up almost as much room as a game itself. Nobody wants a game room full of boxed playfields and one functioning game.

Not even close. I store my SWE1 playfield under my RFM.

Our hobby has evolved to segments of buyers. The hobbyists are installing mods left and right. If this segment can solder mods good assumption they can swap a playfield designed to be.

Quoted from Saltimbanco:

I'll still need storage space, extra parts, tools, some kind of workshop and the ability to put things together. Then, where's that instant feeling of pressing the 'start' button to play games right away?

I have many friends in the hobby who break down games and put in storage or in garages because out of space. They rotate in collection when they feel like it. I have two games broken down as well. Yes, third world problems. But many of us out there who have been in hobby for some time. It doesn't have to be either or, build a traditional game AND a swappable option. I know many new collectors in the same situation of storing games.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Like I tell most people with business ideas who don’t have money - do the marketing analytics, write a business plan, raise capital, take the risks, and bring your idea to market by betting on yourself instead of telling others how to run their business or spend their money.

It's a discussion thread - we're discussing. No need to turn it into if you're so smart invest your own money. The topic is to respectfully weigh the pro's and con's and solicit thoughts on both sides to debate.

And respectfully, I run a business so I know what you speak of. This discussion is for fun, enjoyment, and joint education.

#28 2 years ago

I like the idea. I'm also waiting for my P3 to arrive. I think Multimorphic has created the best potential for this idea because it's not a full siz playfield that's being swapped.

#29 2 years ago

I don't see Stern ever doing it because they would probably lose the markup on all of the other parts they sell you (cabinet, legs, etc..). Multimorphic has a different business model that makes them unique. Stern is currently king of the pinball world and doesn't really need to be unique at this moment.

#30 2 years ago

it could be done but I don't think any current manufacturer is there yet. All of the mechanisms ,pop bumpers, flippers , slingshots etc would have to be made much smaller without losing power. The design has to evolve away from 1950's technology using full size coils. If the whole thing was a playfield with glass in a 3" to 4" depth box where all you had to do was slide it in the cab hook up a power cord and connect the back box display and make it so easy that a chimpanzee could do it, it might fly. IMO the back box artwork being displayed on 2 monitors one for the dmd and the other for the artwork does not detract from the actual play. I don't see anyone taking the risk to make something like this with the current world money problems especially since pinball is a niche market . As niche markets go, all you have to do is look at what happened to Peloton

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

It's a discussion thread - we're discussing. No need to turn it into if you're so smart invest your own money. The topic is to respectfully weigh the pro's and con's and solicit thoughts on both sides to debate.
    And respectfully, I run a business so I know what you speak of. This discussion is for fun, enjoyment, and joint education.

Take things in context my friend. Already multiple posts stating why it's not a good idea, how/when manufacturers have failed in the past with the idea, how the market hasn't wanted it so it hasn't happened, etc. Not really much fun, as you put it, discussing an idea that already has been put to bed for all practical purposes. If someone thinks it is such a great idea and they can make it work where others have failed and there is no apparent demand, then it's up to them to make it happen rather than opining about how someone else should do it.

As a side note, P3 has had some success with a pseudo-swappable playfield but that is not what was being proposed here.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Not really much fun, as you put it, discussing an idea that already has been put to bed for all practical purposes.

I've been in the hobby over 15 years. Almost every topic has been discussed before LMAO. If it's been discussed before and you don't care to engage, respectfully, move on as there's more threads for you to dismiss because it's been discussed before. Always good to revisit for fresh perspectives.

Multi (P3) is an example where the future hasn't been decided yet. As another poster mentioned, Pinball 2000 was not a failure in sales. It was impacted due to many considerations (many threads on this) end of arcades, Williams business model shift, physical footprint on location, and technology use impacting traditional pinball.

The poll is 10 to 10 so the idea has not yet been put to bed by your peers on pinside. Please move on and don't dismiss a discussion because you don't care to be open to possibilities unless we invest our own money. If you know the end to the movie change the channel. Some of us want to watch again because it's fun to explore possibilities. Peace.

#33 2 years ago

personally I would not buy one, but with how modern Sterns use less cables than they used to, I guess it is more possible to do

#34 2 years ago

I just buy a different game, you cheapskates! This is a terrible idea as stated above. Man up and buy games you walk up to and hit the start button and play. If it doesn't work for you maybe take up RC planes or something else you can afford.

#35 2 years ago

I think this is a good discussion for anyone that already owns a pinball 2000. If Stern or some other manufacturer was to create a playfield that was compatible with your existing pinball 2000 cabinet, would you not buy it?

If I could get a reasonably priced brand new game that was remotely close to as good as RFM, I would be all over it.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

I just buy a different game, you cheapskates! This is a terrible idea as stated above. Man up and buy games you walk up to and hit the start button and play. If it doesn't work for you maybe take up RC planes or something else you can afford.

It's not just money. For a lot of us, it's about space. With a well designed rack, I feels like I could get 4/5 pinball 2000 playfields in a closet. I personally hate selling games because of the people that you sometimes have to deal with and the amount of money involved. The biggest reason that I've sold games is space.

#37 2 years ago

Have you never heard of "Heighway Pinball"?

The swapable playfield idea didn't work out so well for them..........

#38 2 years ago

Ok…I am gonna make this real clear why it’s not gonna happen right now. Sometimes if it ain’t broke don’t fix it does apply and right now manufactures can’t meet demand quick enough. They couldn’t build populated playfields as a stand alone product if they wanted to.

Quick review…conversion kits made sense for operators of arcade games back in the day as they serviced the games and accepted risk of installing components. Usually minimal work for installation and could be done by ONE person….board, control panel, artwork. Simple for most operators. Also know this was tried with pins but only a very few conversion kits were ever made….a little more complex swapping an entire populated playfield and may require a second person to assist. Populated playfields are heavy. Add a new backglass and done right….not so fast. Most cabinets are painted game specific so now cabinet art does not match….operators could leave as is or repaint or decal the cabinet…the time involved would cost them more money so not really a good idea for operators.

Toady we have the home collector and the issues most run into are space and cost. Yes a drop in playfield could allow someone who didn’t mind changing playfields a few more games. I doubt with today’s prices it would save significant money as a new cabinet can be bought or built for under $1K. Operators have no interest in this as they do not want to be left with parts…they can recoup more money by selling a routed game.
    The average homeowner probably is not familiar enough to swap a playfield…..most would need help and a high potential to damage something. Manufacturers have enough headaches and do not want/need additional liability to deal with. Also one of the things people love about pins is the cabinet artwork. The existing artwork doesn’t match the newly installed playfield. Do you really want generic cabinets and cabinet artwork to go away? Let’s be honest about this….it ain’t like putting a disc in a Blu-ray player and it sure as hell is not as convenient as swapping Nintendo cartridges.

Way too many cons VS pros for this. Until the pros outweigh the cons it’s not a viable scenario for the manufacturers to pursue. Doesn’t mean it should be forgotten but manufacturers would have to decide the long term development cost is worth it to pursue and it really isn’t there as it stands today.

Now….this would be a GREAT opportunity for a 3rd party to develop swappable games for existing cabinets….they could pay licensing to use Stern/JJP MPU or supply a new MPU and only use existing power supply. It could be done but it would not be cheap…keep in mind people have gotten comfortable with licensed themes…an unlicensed theme could be cheaper but how popular would it be for people to by? And the market for this would be EXTREMELY small. It would probably be a money losing venture.

When this can be as simple as changing a Nintendo cartridge this could be a great idea but until then it’s a pipe dream.

#39 2 years ago

Buy the way….this exists. Just get a virtual pin and call it done LOL! Solves your space issue and changing games is as easy as swapping a game cartridge. We all agree it’s not the same but it solves the problems of space and is cheaper than buying all the individual games.

Secondly the other way to solve this problem is it sounds like if you can afford all these games you can afford to get a bigger house with more space or build a game room addition. Not an answer For everyone but many people have done it.

#40 2 years ago

Let’s forget about swapping playfields for a minute and talk about all of the other cool stuff about Pinball 2000 that none of the other manufacturers have adopted. For instance, why has no one used full length rails like RFM and SWE1? Shop jobs are so much easier being able to pull the playfield and set it in a table or bench to work on. Why doesn’t anyone use the ball stop flap like P2K that keeps the balls from falling out of the trough when raising the playfield? Another cool feature on P2k is the auxiliary key that pops the lock down bar to remove the glass for a stuck ball without having to open the coin door. P2K had a lot of great ideas that could be incorporated into modern games and I’d love to see some of it get used by other manufacturers. Surely the patents have expired at this point. I almost forgot, the diagnostics on P2K is pretty trick also. The game can tell you exactly which switches and lamps aren’t working and shows you where they are located on the playfield.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Add a new backglass and done right….not so fast. Most cabinets are painted game specific so now cabinet art does not match….operators could leave as is or repaint or decal the cabinet

why is specific cabinet artwork necessary? It's not really, and if you have a monitor for a backglass you can make it anything you want....Backglass and translites are overrated.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

Let’s forget about swapping playfields for a minute and talk about all of the other cool stuff about Pinball 2000 that none of the other manufacturers have adopted. For instance, why has no one used full length rails like RFM and SWE1? Shop jobs are so much easier being able to pull the playfield and set it in a table or bench to work on. Why doesn’t anyone use the ball stop flap like P2K that keeps the balls from falling out of the trough when raising the playfield? Another cool feature on P2k is the auxiliary key that pops the lock down bar to remove the glass for a stuck ball without having to open the coin door. P2K had a lot of great ideas that could be incorporated into modern games and I’d love to see some of it get used by other manufacturers. Surely the patents have expired at this point.

Because all of these things add cost, while increasing sales exactly zero percent. Thus, these companies - which exist to make profits - would be hurt by implementing these things.

(also I think JJP has "the flap" but I digress)

People need to stop asking "Why not?," and start asking "why?"

Why add a bunch of cost to a game to include some "cool" features on a product that went out of business over 20 years ago (pin2k), and will not help increase profits. Why is this a good idea?

Why spend a bunch of money making playfield swaps easier, when it's been proven time and time and time again that there is not much of a market for this product for either ops or home buyers? Why mess with the formula when you are currently selling games much faster than you can produce them, and there's zero evidence that you need to market "swappable playfields" to sell pinball machines?

Why? If you can't come up with compelling reasons "why", it's probably not a good idea.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

why is specific cabinet artwork necessary? It's not really...

It's really important to people for some reason. People literally buy diff'fent versions of games becasue of the cabinet art. Weird I know.

#44 2 years ago

If you're looking to switch up tables; just play VPX/VPW not exactly the same but really close!!

#45 2 years ago

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This! I know a Stern employee who keeps a generic Spike 2 cabinet at home and just swaps in whichever playfield is in development.

#47 2 years ago

I think there are home owners who would put up with swapping playfields as a way to get more bang for their buck; however, they likely underestimating how much they'd be saving with a swappable playfield.

The cabinet cost and associated hardware is like $1,000-$1,500. A playfield to swap in, with all the assemblies and software to make it fun, is still going to be at least $5,000. And I don't think that's an attractive price point for all the downsides to dealing with swappable playfields.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You can fit two boxes with populated playfields under a P3 cabinet.

Zero chance I'm ever doing that. Don't want my basement to look even more like a hoarder house, and I play with one foot extended under a game. Hate it when people store stuff there.

Also P3 games are no fun but that's neither here nor there.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

If you're looking to switch up tables; just play VPX/VPW not exactly the same but really close

I have a Vpin and like it quite a bit, its not bad but it's not the same as a real pin.... but l do think you could take elements of the Vpin like the backglass monitor and dmd monitor and incorperate them into a hybrid unit

#50 2 years ago

What would Disney and other license holders' reaction to this be? There is no way they would allow an easy process to mismatch art packages, just like the pushback on changing out music packages.

So would buyers accept generic cabinets? Why would a licensee sign if they can't guarantee their assets aren't cohesive and well presented? How does the manufacturer earn back their licensing costs if they are creating some dedicated and some generic packages.

Way too many considerations when the current market is screaming for more capacity which requires more streamlined processes.

My personal experience includes swapping System 1 playfields in and out of a Joker Poker cabinet that had a multi-game aftermarket board. It was neat to start with but the extra pfs were a PITA after the novelty wore off.

There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not?hl=jeffswack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.