Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Matt1724
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why not Sell?”

• Monetary Value - I value this game more than the market does 37 votes
      18%
    • Hassle - I hate dealing with buyers 34 votes
      17%
    • Rarity - If I let it go, I probably won't see another one like it 35 votes
      17%
    • Sentimental - There is a sentimental value on this particular machine 41 votes
      20%
    • Nothing is Sacred - If you have enough cash, they're all ready to go 54 votes
      27%

(Multiple choice - 201 votes by 151 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CDF7E4B1-CE0F-4E0E-87B6-0FB825279030 (resized).jpeg
    DA2A37CC-39C7-498C-9250-969F7E29A74E (resized).jpeg
    E2E22E19-4B0D-48B1-8C9C-DA6A006186D6 (resized).jpeg
    E869BA90-D600-46E6-8C8C-F45419AC69D1 (resized).jpeg
    garage addition (resized).jpg
    garage (resized).jpg
    3BDED825-7077-4F88-A495-593B6E4FDF73 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 2 years ago

My pinball friends know me as the black hole, where games come in and pretty much never leave. I started collecting in 1997 and I still own several games that I bought in those first couple of years. Most at coin-op auctions which I attended with my Dad who recently passed away. It is a fun hobby for me, and a nice side business for him in that we resold games for a couple of years, and then after that he would operate games in his ice cream business.

I tell folks my games aren't for sale and they always try to tell me "everything is for sale". And I'll admit, if someone showed up with a million dollars I'm guessing my wife would pretty much insist that they are, in fact, for sale. But for me with the ever-increasing values of the games it's never been a concern of trying to turn a profit off of selling them, I would just rather keep them than have the money they are worth. If I sold I would want to convert that money into different pinball machines, none of which would have the sentimental value that many of mine have now due to the fun times I had with Dad and friends going to said auctions to acquire them.

Last year I was finally convinced to liquidate a few games to pay for a home remodeling project. I sold off some of my bottom games but I realized I was going to have to part with too many to fund the runaway remodel. So I said screw it, my nicest and most expensive game was a near mint CC which pretty much put us over the top of the budget need with one sale. While it was a point of pride to own such a nice machine I realized I didn't really enjoy playing that one, and by selling it it would save the 3 or 4 lesser machines that would have to go.

So all that said, put me in the "sentimental value" category for sure.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not-sell?tu=viper001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.