Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Matt1724
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why not Sell?”

• Monetary Value - I value this game more than the market does 37 votes
      18%
    • Hassle - I hate dealing with buyers 34 votes
      17%
    • Rarity - If I let it go, I probably won't see another one like it 35 votes
      17%
    • Sentimental - There is a sentimental value on this particular machine 41 votes
      20%
    • Nothing is Sacred - If you have enough cash, they're all ready to go 54 votes
      27%

(Multiple choice - 201 votes by 151 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CDF7E4B1-CE0F-4E0E-87B6-0FB825279030 (resized).jpeg
    DA2A37CC-39C7-498C-9250-969F7E29A74E (resized).jpeg
    E2E22E19-4B0D-48B1-8C9C-DA6A006186D6 (resized).jpeg
    E869BA90-D600-46E6-8C8C-F45419AC69D1 (resized).jpeg
    garage addition (resized).jpg
    garage (resized).jpg
    3BDED825-7077-4F88-A495-593B6E4FDF73 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kwaheltrut.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

There's been a lot of forum activity around people selling games over the past year and the current market seems like it very much favors the seller.

With all of the of the commotion that generally exists around each new grandiose for sale thread, it begs the question: Why not sell?

What makes you keep the games that you have?

My best example is probably my TZ. It checks off a lot of the poll items.

It's by far the best pin ever made (IMO). I got it for a price that I will never likely see again. It's was the prize at the end of the longest road trip (with a friend) that I've ever made for a pin. Overall, I value it more than the market probably does. I won't likely get one back that I want to afford. I've put a ton of sweat equity into it. And, it has sentimental value to me for the stories that go with it.

If you have a game bolted to the floor, why?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

To be honest, every game has a price. But, barring stupid amounts of money, Scared Stiff is bolted down. It's the game that started me in this hobby, and I've never gotten over it. I chased it for 20 years. I'm not inclined to let it go.
    Everything else, though, will come and go.

I have a pokerino that fits that catagory. It's the first game I ever bought. It's by far the least played now. But I can't let it go. It does help that it's not really worth much.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Every thing is for sale
    I have admitted defeat, 41 games is too many, getting them cleaned up and will halve my collection by the end of the year

There are some tough choices in there..

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Not really, these days I know what I like and what I don't like
    I like older, simpler games. I don't like "deep" games
    45 minutes to reach the end, no thanks

Those also tend to be the most undervalued games. Makes it easier to let all of the high priced games go.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

I decided to go all out on my CP. I restored the game including installing a new (NOS) playfield. The game looks and plays like a new machine. I included gold armor, mirror blades and special topper that I designed. This game is one of a kind now. If I were to sell this, it would just be a distant memory. All the hours spent gone.

I've never done a full playfield swap. If I did, it would have to be a game that I was keeping. The amount of work that goes into that just isn't worth the return you might see selling it.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

Clearly topic posted by a " Investor " not a " collector " . Investor fine if that's your thing .
    Collector searches for title he/she desires . Drives long distances . Stays up long nights paying for and loading games from amusement auctions. Networks other hobbiest , route operators , arcade and bar owners for title of he/she dreams . Buys broken game and fixes not to flip but to save the game .
    This is a discussion not a solely collectors site . More inclusive poll would have .
    Why sell games , it's only money !
    Shane

I don't think I would consider myself to be a collector based on your definition. More of a tinkerer that found a great material to work with. However, I would consider myself to be more of a collector than an investor. I don't see pinball being any better an investment than something like GME stock. I still own the first game I bought and I purposely sought out all of the current titles in my collection.

I tried adding your option to the list but couldn't figure out how to addd to the poll.

I did consider that option, but originally felt that it was captured by the monetary value option. If the game is worth more to you than the value that others place on it monetarily, then it transcends above that.

The subtext of my question is kind of nodding at all of the pinball price threads and those that are outraged by asking prices being thrown out there.

If people are really getting exorbitant amounts of money for selling off their games, why not join the crowd and sell yours too?

Perhaps the answer is that money is just money and pinball machines are more valuable to some of us than that.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

I don't think I would consider myself to be a collector based on your definition. More of a tinkerer that found a great material to work with. However, I would consider myself to be more of a collector than an investor. Pinball machines don't seem to be any better an investment to me than something like GME stock. I still own the first game I bought and I purposely sought out all of the current titles in my collection.
    I tried adding your option to the list but couldn't figure out how to addd to the poll.
    I did consider that option, but originally felt that it was captured by the monetary value option. If the game is worth more to you than the value that others place on it monetarily, then it transcends above that.
    The subtext of my question is kind of nodding at all of the pinball price threads and those that are outraged by asking prices being thrown out there.
    If people are really getting exorbitant amounts of money for selling off their games, why not join the crowd and sell yours too?
    Perhaps the answer is that money is just money and pinball machines are more valuable to some of us than that.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from digdug2084:

Anything is for sale at the right price. Of course all of the other factors combine to make the right price on a couple of games astoundingly high.
    I don't want to sell out my collection. If that happened I would have to buy other games to replace them at these inflated prices. I only really list games now to make space for new games. I own pinball for fun, and to tinker a bit.

I agree. Oppositely though, my goal was not to turn this into another pinball price thread as much as it was to capture the non- monetary value that we place on pins.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I’d add even more options:
    1. I put too much work into it
    2. Family would be upset
    3. Too flaky/broken to sell
    4. It’s pinball perfection!

Those are all good additions. I'll have to figure out how to add them later.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Another option: Why would I sell my pins when I light my cigars with $100 bills?

Space. There's only so many places you an fit 160 pins and Stern just keeps making new LEs...

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Who says prices have peaked?

Is that a reason why you' don't sell them? Waiting for the peak?

#46 2 years ago

SF2 is the DMD that I've owned the longest. My kids learned that there is more to the game than smashing buttons because of it. I have sold off much better games and keep it because it's still a favorite of theirs.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I was definitely one of those, swore that all my Elvira pins were bolted to the floor. Then I sold all three of them. At the end of the day they are games, and while fun other more fun things eventually replace them. I know I made the right move as when I recently went to the Museum of Pinball I saw many of the old games I used to own and yet didn't play any of them. There's just so much other pinball out there to play.
    One ritual I do when I sell a game is remove the glass and manually do everything that can be done in the game the night before the new buyer picks it up. That way I've seen everything it has to offer, a closure of sorts.

I like that. It's especially good for those of us that aren't very good at playing...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kwaheltrut.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not-sell?tu=Kwaheltrut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.