Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Matt1724
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why not Sell?”

• Monetary Value - I value this game more than the market does 37 votes
      18%
    • Hassle - I hate dealing with buyers 34 votes
      17%
    • Rarity - If I let it go, I probably won't see another one like it 35 votes
      17%
    • Sentimental - There is a sentimental value on this particular machine 41 votes
      20%
    • Nothing is Sacred - If you have enough cash, they're all ready to go 54 votes
      27%

(Multiple choice - 201 votes by 151 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CDF7E4B1-CE0F-4E0E-87B6-0FB825279030 (resized).jpeg
    DA2A37CC-39C7-498C-9250-969F7E29A74E (resized).jpeg
    E2E22E19-4B0D-48B1-8C9C-DA6A006186D6 (resized).jpeg
    E869BA90-D600-46E6-8C8C-F45419AC69D1 (resized).jpeg
    garage addition (resized).jpg
    garage (resized).jpg
    3BDED825-7077-4F88-A495-593B6E4FDF73 (resized).jpeg

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 months ago
    Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

The phrase “bolted to the floor” needs to die. I see so many people say it for games they’ve owned less than a year and just chuckle.

Calling common titles "Grail pin" can die too. But maybe that one is for another topic.

#52 4 months ago

As for the market, it seems to favor new and LE machines in particular and certain highly restored machines (eg. Funhouse). Not so with highly restored EMs or machines made in high volume that are getting older and not in pristine condition. I would think it is hard to know what will happen in the future.

More on point, you asked if you have a game bolted to the floor, and if so, why? Aquarius is because it was the one I played as a kid and the machine that was associated with my interest in pinball. I have a HUO and I paid way more than market value on purpose 15 years ago form a collector not motivated to sell so I could have that example. I think personal connections to the machines for reasons like that are why people will not want to sell, even for profit.

I think a MAJOR issue related to someone's willingness to rotate machines is the size of their collection and space limitations. If you have room for only 2-5 machines to have setup and play, easy for those machines to all be keepers. However, if you live in the midwest and have a basement and a collection of 10-20+ games with no space issues, then it makes it easier to rotate and not be attached to all of your machines.

#53 4 months ago

I see so many people say it for games they’ve owned less than a year and just chuckle. Kudos to those in this thread who admitted they used it and then sold.

When I first got into pinball that was the only way for me to experience pinball. There were maybe a handful of people that had a collection and that was usually less than 5 or 6 games. Locations only had a couple of the newest games. But when it came to me wanting to play different early solid state or EMs, had to buy them then sell them. That or you wait for expo to come around, hope you can make it, hope they have a game there you want to try, and hope there aren’t a lot of people waiting to play it.

#54 4 months ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

I’ve got EA30. Which one did you have? Any idea where it is now?

I think i was EA 19 I had traded slots with RTR, the guy who bought it from me resold it so I’m not sure where it is now.

#55 4 months ago
    Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

I have a pokerino that fits that catagory. It's the first game I ever bought. It's by far the least played now. But I can't let it go. It does help that it's not really worth much.

Keep that pokerino IMO. The card girls distress me. In an amusing way. Good game too. I like it.

E2E22E19-4B0D-48B1-8C9C-DA6A006186D6 (resized).jpegE869BA90-D600-46E6-8C8C-F45419AC69D1 (resized).jpeg
    #56 4 months ago

Oh another reason I’m not selling is some of my restorations are eventually going to be gifted.

#57 4 months ago
    Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

If people are really getting exorbitant amounts of money for selling off their games, why not join the crowd and sell yours too?

"join the crowd" <- This has always been an indicator for me of what NOT to do.

Pinball is what makes me happy, not losing it to a money grab.

#58 4 months ago
    Quoted from smokinhos:

Got a full price offer, but when it was time to pull the trigger, the rest of the family got cold feet. Part of the reason is that it was headed to a barcade, and getting beat up on route was a concern. I know, sounds ridiculous, but it was part of the decision.

I can understand that for a rare old game, but a modern Stern still in production? It sounds like ya’ll still have an emotional attachment, and there’s nothing wrong with that. If it makes you feel better, I’ve bought many games off of locations that still had mint cabinets. I think true “routing” is a thing of the past. Most location games sit in one place until they’re sold to someone who doesn’t care how many plays they got, and are looking for a $500 discount off the going rate.

I just remembered, I bought my GOTG from an arcade (actually a straight up trade for my location IM with red armor and a CDMD).

#59 4 months ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Oh another reason I’m not selling is some of my restorations are eventually going to be gifted.

Hello, friend! (What was your name again?)

#60 4 months ago

Where is the option for it's all relative, every extra dollar you get when you sell is one you spend when you buy. So it really doesn't make any difference. I guess I look at pinball like property. It's always best to stay in, I only sell so I can buy.

#61 4 months ago

Poll is missing: “my basement is a monumental pain to get games in or out”. I need to remove the head every time. Luckily I am moving soon to a pin friendly home.

#62 4 months ago

I have a 4 Square machine that is pretty beat up looking. It plays awesome and is really fun. I won't sell it because I value it higher than I could ask someone else to pay.

#63 4 months ago
    Quoted from jgelman:

I think a MAJOR issue related to someone's willingness to rotate machines is the size of their collection and space limitations. If you have room for only 2-5 machines to have setup and play, easy for those machines to all be keepers. However, if you live in the midwest and have a basement and a collection of 10-20+ games with no space issues, then it makes it easier to rotate and not be attached to all of your machines.

I have the exact opposite view of this. I have room for 5. Thus, none or few can be ‘keepers’ or bolted to the floor because even if you love a game, eventually you can tire of it and with a small collection you’ll tire faster. So I gotta rotate and there will be no keepers.

With 10 games or more, you can bolt a couple and then rotate a few others no problem. No issues having 3-5 keepers if you can rotate the rest.

#64 4 months ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I have the exact opposite view of this. I have room for 5. Thus, none or few can be ‘keepers’ or bolted to the floor because even if you love a game, eventually you can tire of it and with a small collection you’ll tire faster. So I gotta rotate and there will be no keepers.
    With 10 games or more, you can bolt a couple and then rotate a few others no problem. No issues having 3-5 keepers if you can rotate the rest.

I never thought of it that way. Interesting. For me, 2 have connections to childhood. My Funhouse is getting some upgrades and I just do not think I would want to exchange it for any other machine. My Flip a Card could go, but it is fun to play, and beautifully restored, and I never get tired of it and I like the look. Interesting that when people see it in the background of pictures, they send me messages asking to buy it.

I am making changes though. First time in 15 years. Sold KOD and Kings and Queens and gifting my restored Buckaroo and will get EBD TZ, and perhaps BOP. Still, for me, these decisions are not about the market value changes.

#65 4 months ago

I collect books and there is publisher named Arkham house books. I learned a few decades ago, I do not trade or sell my Arkham house books. It was simply a mistake. Also not a financial decision.

I always wanted them back. So now I just never sell them. Its different than pinball, but the desire to replace was similar.

CDF7E4B1-CE0F-4E0E-87B6-0FB825279030 (resized).jpeg
    #66 4 months ago
    DA2A37CC-39C7-498C-9250-969F7E29A74E (resized).jpeg
    #67 4 months ago

Im not selling anymore unless I really really hate a machine and dont find it fun. I have such sellers remorse, I miss my machines, and think about them all the time.

Never again!

#68 4 months ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

To be honest, every game has a price. But, barring stupid amounts of money, Scared Stiff is bolted down. It's the game that started me in this hobby, and I've never gotten over it. I chased it for 20 years. I'm not inclined to let it go.
    Everything else, though, will come and go.

Agreed. I'm not sure what it would take for me to cut my Scared Stiff, loose, but market value wouldn't come close to getting it done.

#69 4 months ago

The other games on the market that are the same value as the games I have are less desirable to me

#70 4 months ago

I guess I’d need a reason ‘why to sell’:
    - dont like the game
    - need space
    - need cash
    - technical problems beyond my ability to repair

I listed 4 pins a couple of months ago, only to realize after a few days of offers ‘what the heck am I doing!?! I enjoy each of these and have no reason to sell other than making a small profit’. So I took my ads down and have been enjoying them since. They get consistent play.

#71 4 months ago

I don't play them that often at all anymore, but I have no reason to sell at this point. I enjoy having them and sharing and stuff but I've also got other interest too and working seven days a week there's not much time for all that I'd like to do. Perhaps someday when I'm really ready and it will all go....everything, but until then there fine right where there at.

John

#72 4 months ago

I dont get attached to pins as keepers. There like visitors at my house but red carpet visitors that I take good care of until the day they leave. Similar to video games to me also when it comes to time to sell, once i beat them i never play them or if there is a defect in the design i sell them quickly. Id sell all 4 of my games for $27000 cash right now no questions asked, not that i want to but i would if somebody offered it to me. why not sell?

#73 4 months ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

I dont get attached to pins as keepers. There like visitors at my house but red carpet visitors that I take good care of until the day they leave. Similar to video games to me also when it comes to time to sell, once i beat them i never play them or if there is a defect in the design i sell them quickly. Id sell all 4 of my games for $27000 cash right now no questions asked, not that i want to but i would if somebody offered it to me.

I never had a lot of games, but I regret selling the handful of pins I have let go (especially my TFTC). I won't make that mistake again. The four I have left will most likely ride with me till death. The only game that is more of a keeper than my pins is my Haunted House, gun game. It literally took me years to find one in nice working condition and I don't think I'd ever find another in that kind of shape.
    I figure my grandkids can figure out what to do with these games when I'm dead.

#74 4 months ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I never had a lot of games, but I regret selling the handful of pins I have let go (especially my TFTC). I won't make that mistake again. The four I have left will most likely ride with me till death. The only game that is more of a keeper than my pins is my Haunted House, gun game. It literally took me years to find one in nice working condition and I don't think I'd ever find another in that kind of shape.
    I figure my grandkids can figure out what to do with these games when I'm dead.

Only game i regret selling was MMr LE. If I could own only 1 pin that would be it.

Really I have just as much or sometimes more fun playing $50 video games with my kids. We just beat It takes Two on PS5 and it was a total blast!!!

#75 4 months ago
    Quoted from Phbooms:

Only game i regret selling was MMr LE. If I could own only 1 pin that would be it.
    Really I have just as much or sometimes more fun playing $50 video games with my kids. We just beat It takes Two on PS5 and it was a total blast!!!

I totally get it. There's certainly better uses for the money we have tied up in pins. Especially when you can have just as much fun with cheaper entertainment.
    MMR LE is a work of art. I'd keep it just to look at it.

#76 4 months ago

Missing a hassle - hate dealing with sellers option on that list. I have three now, about to add a 4th. I have a few reasons

1) My WW I used to play as a kid. Finally bought one. Needs some work, but is a first pin and a good one at that. Also I have a PF waiting to go in, along with half the topside parts and a mirrored BG in it.
    2) My MET pro I bought with inheritance money and would feel weird selling it, although the thought has crossed my mind.
    3) RBION I dealt with 3 dipshits trying to get mine, said screw it and over paid a smidge to not have to deal with dumb people - bought it from a distributor. Was worth it to ditch the hassle.

While I have a basement, I'm not loaded. My goal is a 5-7 game keeper line up that once they're here. They're here. I also have a location within 10 min that has 83 games, inclusive of every new Stern Prem, and all of the JJP collection except GNR. I can literally try just about anything before I buy, and anything I dont have is a buck / play or less. JJP Prem is on its way this weekend. I hate trying to move them, absolutely hate dealing with idiots so buying them is a hassle, and the same with selling. I'd much rather buy, keep, and enjoy. Once I'm at that 5 -7, it'd take a killer new game for me to sell because I carefully picked my line up with a lotta thought. My current "to do" list is possibly TAF and/or Creech, and either DeadPool and/or Ghostbusters Prem to round it out. Altho EHOH seems to keep taking my money right along with JP.

#77 4 months ago

I've been collecting for a long time and have acquired a lot of the top Bally/Williams over the years. Currently the collection is 16 strong and the house has room for them. There are a number of titles (AFM, TOTAN, TOM, TAFG...) that I have let go and while at the time when I sold them I got a good price I would not be able to buy them for close to what they sold for. I enjoy my games but I really don't play them that often and the smart thing would be to sell them. However, I know that if I sell them I'll go into FOMO and start looking to buy again and the extra money that I make today will cost me double down the road. I also have dreams of restoring the games in retirement to try and help keep my sanity. For these reasons I guess that my games are kind of bolted to the floor. My only challenge will be if I can convince my wife to move south the games probably won't be able to make the trip.

#78 4 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I can understand that for a rare old game, but a modern Stern still in production? It sounds like ya’ll still have an emotional attachment, and there’s nothing wrong with that. If it makes you feel better, I’ve bought many games off of locations that still had mint cabinets. I think true “routing” is a thing of the past. Most location games sit in one place until they’re sold to someone who doesn’t care how many plays they got, and are looking for a $500 discount off the going rate.
    I just remembered, I bought my GOTG from an arcade (actually a straight up trade for my location IM with red armor and a CDMD).

I dont know.. ive been to some pretty well reviewed pinball "places" and they are just not kept up as well. Rubbers, cleanliness, basic wear and tear getting moved around.. I can't agree that a game with a few hundred plays is not nicer than one with 3000+... and yes, definitely an emotional attachment.

#79 4 months ago

The phrase “bolted to the floor” needs to die. I see so many people say it for games they’ve owned less than a year and just chuckle. Kudos to those in this thread who admitted they used it and then sold.

I was definitely one of those, swore that all my Elvira pins were bolted to the floor. Then I sold all three of them. At the end of the day they are games, and while fun other more fun things eventually replace them. I know I made the right move as when I recently went to the Museum of Pinball I saw many of the old games I used to own and yet didn't play any of them. There's just so much other pinball out there to play.

One ritual I do when I sell a game is remove the glass and manually do everything that can be done in the game the night before the new buyer picks it up. That way I've seen everything it has to offer, a closure of sorts.

#80 4 months ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I was definitely one of those, swore that all my Elvira pins were bolted to the floor. Then I sold all three of them. At the end of the day they are games, and while fun other more fun things eventually replace them. I know I made the right move as when I recently went to the Museum of Pinball I saw many of the old games I used to own and yet didn't play any of them. There's just so much other pinball out there to play.
    One ritual I do when I sell a game is remove the glass and manually do everything that can be done in the game the night before the new buyer picks it up. That way I've seen everything it has to offer, a closure of sorts.

I like that. It's especially good for those of us that aren't very good at playing...

#81 4 months ago

I'm struggling with this at the moment - I really want an Elvira or a JP2, but I am out of room (and cash) so something has to go. HOWEVER- every time I pick one, I'll play a game on it, realize I actually still love it and change my mind. I've never thought any of my games would be bolted to the floor, but I think i've just created a small collection now that really do click with me, and I've developed somewhat of an attachment to them.

Probably this is exactly why people's collections keep growing after they promised themselves (or maybe there better halves) they'd "just get one"... yea right...

#82 4 months ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

New buyer: wow, he has one really high score!

#83 4 months ago
    Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Probably why peoples' collections keep growing.

Spend too much time on Pinside looking at big pin collections and . . . monkey Ceemunkey do ?

#84 4 months ago

New buyer: wow, he has one really high score!

Lol, I do reset the high score table before pickup

#85 4 months ago
    Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

What makes you keep the games that you have?

For modern games, I keep the ones I enjoy for as long as I enjoy them. They are here to entertain me. And once I get bored with a game, it goes on the block. And once it does, they usually leave quick.

Classic games are different. I own a few that I LOVE playing. But because I also host a Classics league, reliability is critical for me. A game needs to play all night long, and if it fails during league a couple times, it gets tossed.

I don't care about the opportunity cost of owning them. In my mind, they become worthless as soon as they get here. If I could double the money I have in a game, who cares. It won't impact me that much, and I won't have the game anymore. Stars is my classic example of that. I could make money on it if I sold it today... but then I wouldn't have Stars. The cash in my pocket will never get me the same fun I get from Stars.

#86 4 months ago

My pinball friends know me as the black hole, where games come in and pretty much never leave. I started collecting in 1997 and I still own several games that I bought in those first couple of years. Most at coin-op auctions which I attended with my Dad who recently passed away. It is a fun hobby for me, and a nice side business for him in that we resold games for a couple of years, and then after that he would operate games in his ice cream business.

I tell folks my games aren't for sale and they always try to tell me "everything is for sale". And I'll admit, if someone showed up with a million dollars I'm guessing my wife would pretty much insist that they are, in fact, for sale. But for me with the ever-increasing values of the games it's never been a concern of trying to turn a profit off of selling them, I would just rather keep them than have the money they are worth. If I sold I would want to convert that money into different pinball machines, none of which would have the sentimental value that many of mine have now due to the fun times I had with Dad and friends going to said auctions to acquire them.

Last year I was finally convinced to liquidate a few games to pay for a home remodeling project. I sold off some of my bottom games but I realized I was going to have to part with too many to fund the runaway remodel. So I said screw it, my nicest and most expensive game was a near mint CC which pretty much put us over the top of the budget need with one sale. While it was a point of pride to own such a nice machine I realized I didn't really enjoy playing that one, and by selling it it would save the 3 or 4 lesser machines that would have to go.

So all that said, put me in the "sentimental value" category for sure.

#87 4 months ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Spend too much time on Pinside looking at big pin collections and . . . monkey Ceemunkey do ?

This monkey can’t stop buying.

#88 4 months ago

We buy the pins for the personal enjoyment, not the potential flip value. We’re players not collectors.

TZ was our first, paid very little for it.
    IJ is my sons favorite.
    WOZ was the wife’s pick, which quickly became my favorite.

Now we’re waiting on whatever JJP announces next to add our forth pin and first NIB.

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside