(Topic ID: 92956)

Why not make a machine where the playfield angle could be controlled by the pin?

By ataritoday

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

So I was thinking it could be really cool if there was a pin where the machine controlled the angle of the playfield to control the speed of the game....

Controlling the angle could be done two ways:
    - by having it pivot from the middle somewhere (you could literally have the playfield tilt away or towards you). This would be interesting... you would have to think through a design that would have flippers at both ends... could be cool.
    - or you could just put some motors at the back of the machine to move the back of the playfield higher or lower...

It seems like all of the new pins are able to control the power of solenoids, so if you made the table less steep, you would need to ease up on the power...

This could be fun... I can picture a situation where the machine has a slow down mode (plays like an EM) and places where everything is faster and intense (the ball, the music and the light show).

Hmmm... you could have it tilt left and right as well....

Anyhow, just a crazy idea for the day. I'm sure designing the playfield would get more challenging.

#2 9 years ago

That's a really interesting idea!

#3 9 years ago

Second machine shown during this years Pinball Olympics...
    (and again 3:27 in)

#4 9 years ago

I need to find my sketches. Years ago I drew a design for a machine where the base was articulated (think those full motion driving games) to adjust angle. I thought it was a great idea at the time, although maybe not too feasible.

Had some pretty cool (IMO) leg designs too. Now I need to go look for these

Chris

#5 9 years ago

Sounds expensive, but a fantastic idea. I typically like my pins set up pretty fast and if a non player walks up to it and drains all 3 balls in 90 seconds they won't be going back. It could also be a way to handicap multiplayer games.

I've also thought multiple high score tables would be cool. I'd love to see my kids get some scores up. High score of the day is a great feature I wish was in more pins.

#6 9 years ago

A moving playfield tied to the game code would be sweet.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Timerider:

(and again 3:27 in)
    » YouTube video

Now that's some strange stuff right there, tell you what.

#8 9 years ago

That video was awesome. Love the creativity.

#9 9 years ago

Cool video, very creative, looks like fun.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Timerider:

LOL! I'm in that video and didn't even know it.

#11 9 years ago

that rotating pin reminds me of flock of seagulls I RAN

#12 9 years ago

Something a little bigger than the one in Lights Camera Action would be neat too.

Chris

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not-make-a-machine-where-the-playfield-angle-could-be-controlled-by-the-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.