P3112310.JPG
P3112308.JPG
P3092306.JPG
P3092309.JPG
P3092316.JPG
P3092305.JPG
P3072323.JPG
P3072322.JPG
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 11 years ago

I can do them in green or orange if you want

I only had the side art to go by.

#152 11 years ago

I can't decide. I think the same as the lock down and coindoor would be best. It would be more cohesive from the front and still work well from the side.

Thanks Alex and I will let you know.

#153 11 years ago

If you have a use for those or not, sell them. They go with a ton of themes. Send me a new set and ill do them in orange. Or green back orange front. Your choice

#154 11 years ago

You guys have to stop with this powder coat crap! That's a complete train wreck!! Go chrome and stop Jacking around with crappy powder coat! If you're going to powder coat stick with a base color!!!!! This is why you don't do this crap!!! Send that crap back COD! Now you know why it's "Free". Learning curve!

#155 11 years ago

the legs look so different from pic to pic.

#156 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

the legs look so different from pic to pic.

Dave, Yeah, it is nearly impossible to get an accurate shot. They look really nice, just a gut reaction that they clash with everything else from the front.

Alex,
I will buy another raw set and have them shipped to you. We can figure something out.

Exejet > Nothing wrong with having an opinion but learn how to have a little tact when sharing some constructive criticism please. Something like, " I really prefer the standard chrome to the powder you have chosen" would have sufficed.

#157 11 years ago

tact from eazysleezy? c'mon, man.

#158 11 years ago
Quoted from Exejet:

You guys have to stop with this powder coat crap! That's a complete train wreck!! Go chrome and stop Jacking around with crappy powder coat! If you're going to powder coat stick with a base color!!!!! This is why you don't do this crap!!! Send that crap back COD! Now you know why it's "Free". Learning curve!

Chrome? What's wrong with stainless?

#159 11 years ago

I'll buy the blue legs if you don't like them! I think the machine looks FUN. Like pinball should be!

#160 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

tact from eazysleezy? c'mon, man.

He doesn't have any tact, common courtesy, or human decency.

#161 11 years ago

Looks great Hilton! Can't wait to play it at MGC!

#162 11 years ago

I'm curious how the legs would look on Wh20? .. I'm in need of some williams legs anyway...

#163 11 years ago

Perfect on a wh20,

Same color used in the water on FT is on wh20.

#164 11 years ago

well.... 6 weeks later and she is back together!

I had one inverted diode on the left sling but otherwise I somehow managed not to screw anything up

I have a short list of things left to do but she will be ready in time for MGC and that is the big thing...

I still need to:
1. do a few touchups on the exterior backbox
2. install a new DMD board >> old one is bad and I do not have time to troubleshoot it now so instead I ordered a Rottendog one from MAD amusements
3. LED it. My order from cointaker should be here this week...

I will post up more pics when I get her all LED.

here is a link to the DMD issue I had in case it helps anyone else >>>
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-fish-tales-dmd-issue-please-help-a-dummy#post-717177

#165 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

well.... 6 weeks later and she is back together!

I had one inverted diode on the left sling but otherwise I somehow managed not to screw anything up

You have really impressed me with how you have jumped in and tackled this project. Big kudos to you for having the balls to do this! It's not an easy task, and it can appear to be overwhelming, especially when you haven't done it before! To have it all back together and everything working has got to be a great feeling of accomplishment!

Hell, even the one thing that you "screwed up" you were able to figure out rather quickly it seems (it took me some doing to diagnose an inverted diode on one of the switches on my MM).

Good job, and congrats on the successful re-population of your PF!

#166 11 years ago

Thanks Rob! Sincerely!

It has been a really fun project for sure! I honestly keep expecting the whole thing to blow up still It does feel really great to have done this. I only played one quick game so far as I do not want to really get at it till I have it 100% with the LEDs and new DMD board installed. I figure it will get a huge workout at MGC and hopefully if it goes down there will be some experts to assist in getting it back up and going.

I have learned a ton but have also realized that I just scratched the surface with this project. I am already looking forward to the next one.

#167 11 years ago

Hilton, I bet your creetch is feeling lonely! If she needs some attention you can give it to me! Joking aside I can't wait to see your FT at MGC!

#168 11 years ago

Super eager to see this thing in person at or around MGC!

My opinion... from the pics, the blue on the legs contrasts heavily with the lockdown/rail/coin door color. I think the black legs would look fine however.

#169 11 years ago

6 weeks? Took me a year for my FH....I work too slow.

Great work Hilton!

#170 11 years ago

thanks guys.

Things are all fallin in place.

LEDs have been installed. No pics yet as I have a few more LEDs on order.

It is worth mention that I was VERY unhappy with some of the choices in cointakers current FT super kit. I know people recommended against the kit, but honestly I went about compiling an entire 'kit' on my own and realized I had compiled something that was nearly $60 more than the cointaker kit, so I said screw it an ordered the kit.

I had previously done the CT kit for MM when I owned it and I thought it was really well put together. I took a chance on the FT kit and paid for my lesson. Lesson learned.

I did learn quite a bit by going through and installing their kit and realizing what I do and do not like. Big disappointments were that I would have expected the super kit to appropriately have no ghost LEDs where needed, but it does not. They do not include 5 flashers for the backbox that are needed >> they did not forget them from the package, they are just not even on the list. Pretty sure my FT is nothing special, the kit just did not account for the 5 additional flashers. They also used LOTS of cool white where warm white is needed and they did not color match for the key big fish inserts that are in the smack center of the pf. CRAPtastic. The most important area of the whole game and it was blindingly bright cool whites right in your face >> bleech...

Last thing is that there are a few lights that shine directly at the player (shell lights on topper for example) and they did not even use frosteds for those.

I ordered new bulbs and actually sent them a nice email outlining the things I did not like in the kit. I got no reply and they did not even acknowledge the 5 missing flashers from the kit. I had also offered to provide them with my feedback after I experiment with the additional $100 in bulbs I bought in order to learn and fine tune what works best (i.e. much better than the provided kit), but still no reply.

I am not complaining, just pointing things out so others can hopefully learn from my experience.

#171 11 years ago

I have also been working to fix the backbox dings.

Things are looking pretty good. A few shots showing the progress.
There were some chips out of the back box, so I filled with a 2 part wood filler, sanded, and then painted, and top coated with a nice artistic polymer intended for this sort of thing (thanks RanHorton for the rec). P3112308.JPGP3112308.JPG P3112310.JPGP3112310.JPG

#172 11 years ago

more progress

P3142313.JPGP3142313.JPG P3142316.JPGP3142316.JPG

#173 11 years ago

I know it is not perfect, but it is at least much better

#174 11 years ago

New Rottendog DMD board came in yesterday. Installed and looking good.

I will post some pics later today.

Aside from waiting on a few more LEDs to arrive and I need to print up some nice custom cards, the project is done. I am supper stoked. Put about 20 games on it thus far and it is playing fast and furious.

I am thinking I will use it for part of Clock Chaos at MGC...

#175 11 years ago

A short video.

#176 11 years ago

A few pics.

P3162316.JPGP3162316.JPG P3162317.JPGP3162317.JPG P3162321.JPGP3162321.JPG

#177 11 years ago

Congratulations on a job well done! Game looks super clean overall! I have to say, I'm not a fan of all the paint, but everything you've done restoration-wise is fantastic!

I may've missed; how did you end up with a green DMD?

#178 11 years ago

Thanks for the kind words.

I have had the pleasure of being able to use a new SIGMA ColorDMD since I am bringing the FT to MGC to share with everyone. I set it on a green color I liked and also currently have it set on the scan lines option (dots, scan lines, or solid).

I prefer the middle 'style' option which is basically an in between of dots and solid, so images are slightly smoothed, but still very sharp.

The display has 49 color options and 3 display styles. VERY cool IMHO! I also really love that there are NO grid lines in this product like some of the other single color displays I have seen out there.

It really brings the game together nicely!

#179 11 years ago

I stopped over at Hilton's and played a few games on Fishtales this afternoon and it looks even better in person! I actually like all of powdercoat with the exception of the blue legs. I love the green wireforms and the green sigma display really makes the game stand out. The game plays hard and fast too. It will be a great tournament game for Clock Chaos!

#180 11 years ago

Yeah, Alex has been super nice and has offered to change out the legs and powder a new set that matches the coin door and lockdown. I think that is what I will do, but unfortunately they will obviously not be ready by the time MGC rolls around.

I do want to take a minute and say a HUGE thanks to EVERYONE that made this whole project possible.

Alex in particular has been amazing! I won his free powder coat contest and in turn it really made me step up my desire to make the game nice enough to be worthy of his amazing powder coat work. It really POPs.

I also want to say thanks to everyone here on pinside. The knowledge you have shared and the kind words of encouragement have been instrumental in me have the ability to do this project and learn a ton along the way.

Now, an additional huge thanks to Randy for allowing me to be an early adapter for the SIGMA in order to show it off at MGC!

A sincere thanks to all you folks!!!!

#181 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Thanks for the kind words.
I have had the pleasure of being able to use a new SIGMA ColorDMD since I am bringing the FT to MGC to share with everyone. I set it on a green color I liked and also currently have it set on the scan lines option (dots, scan lines, or solid).
I prefer the middle 'style' option which is basically an in between of dots and solid, so images are slightly smoothed, but still very sharp.
The display has 49 color options and 3 display styles. VERY cool IMHO! I also really love that there are NO grid lines in this product like some of the other single color displays I have seen out there.
It really brings the game together nicely!

So this is the one in the other thread with the screenshots provided of TZ? This going to be ok for our official DMD's going future since they are not making the plasma ones anymore? Thoughts?

#182 11 years ago

Mark >> Yup, this is the same product as you have seen the current shots of TZ. I'd say this is much better than a standard old plasma. It looks great to me, but you can be the judge in person next Friday night

#183 11 years ago

sunday bump, before the thread dies forever...

#184 11 years ago

One more quick video to show a few animations with the SIGMA.

Hard to play while shooting video (and I suck at playing).

#185 11 years ago

LED replacements arrived. A few final pics.

The only thing I am waiting on now is some green flipper rubbers.

P3182324.JPGP3182324.JPG P3182327.JPGP3182327.JPG P3182329.JPGP3182329.JPG

#186 11 years ago

Has anybody put a shaker in a fish tales? Thought it would be kind of cool with monster fish and rock the boat. Will the one they sell for AFM or STTNG work in it?
Thoughts?

#187 11 years ago

Oh I wish my FT looked like that! Fantastic job.

I'd be very grateful it you could possibly email me the apron cards so I could print them out myself.

#188 11 years ago

xenon325i > just shoot me a PM with your email and I will send the files off to you.

I am guessing the shaker could be done, but the skill level is beyod me currently. Also the tail flappin is already an extra sensory overload and I even softened it up a bit with some drop dead foam on the knocker of the fish tale coil.

#189 11 years ago

I agree - when the topper starts kickin' the whole thing shakes anyway!

#190 11 years ago

One of my favorite games of all time!
Looks amazing , great job!

#191 11 years ago

Wow.. Awesome!!

#192 11 years ago

10K by x-mas.

#194 11 years ago

Looks good hope I can make it to MGC and play it

#195 11 years ago

Beautiful!!! I love it! Fantastic job

2 weeks later
#196 11 years ago

The CoinTaker Kit lOOks Great Whysnow .. Hell've a Restore you did .. Very Nice !!

The Pict's- above are stunning .....

#197 11 years ago

Very nice example of one of my favourites. Thanks for sharing.

#198 11 years ago

That Rocks!!! Great Job!!!

#199 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

The CoinTaker Kit lOOks Great Whysnow .. Hell've a Restore you did .. Very Nice !!
The Pict's- above are stunning .....

Unfortunately what I have installed is the cointaker 'kit' plus ~$100 of other LEDs needed to fix the misses in the kit plus a bunch of stuff that was not color matched like you would expect when buying a super kit.

I tried to contact coin taker 2 times to let them know about
1. the missed LEDs from the kit
2. my suggestions on improvements to the kit
Unfortunately, they never even replied to me.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST against using their kit. I was told not to use it, I did, and it ended up costing me an additional $100 to do the job correctly.

I have a list somewhere of all the things that needed to be changed and the missing or incorrect bulbs from the kit if anyone needs it.

2 weeks later
#200 11 years ago

Hi there,

I'm restoring my Fish Tales too. Can you tell me what size rivets you used on the metal flap on the boat ramp? Thanks !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

12,500 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 169.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not-an-ongoing-fish-tales-restoration/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.