P3112310.JPG
P3112308.JPG
P3092306.JPG
P3092309.JPG
P3092316.JPG
P3092305.JPG
P3072323.JPG
P3072322.JPG
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 11 years ago

Had a few more hours of work today. I work slowly but am having lots of fun.

A few of the old dirty followed by the new clean. P2032182.JPGP2032182.JPG P2032183.JPGP2032183.JPG

#52 11 years ago

new clean

P2032180.JPGP2032180.JPG P2032181.JPGP2032181.JPG

#53 11 years ago

Pretty.

#54 11 years ago

LOOKING GOOD!!!

#55 11 years ago

Looks like a brand new game!
Nice job.

#56 11 years ago

Awesome job!

#57 11 years ago

wow

#58 11 years ago

Cool project! What type of brushes are you using to touch up the cabinet? I think I'm going to give it a shot as well

#59 11 years ago

Looking good Hilton, keep up the good work!

#60 11 years ago

thanks guys!

pinballrus >> I just picked up a variety of artistic brushes for acryic paints. Many online art places to choose from >> I like dickblick.com Get a variety of tip shapes and sizes.

I do plan to buy an airbrush after reading through vids helpful playfield restoration guide. I need to save up more pin money for now as I have spent a ton on tools lately.

#61 11 years ago

10/10

Great thread. Fantastic work.

#62 11 years ago

It may not look like much of an update but it took me most of the afternoon ...

Cabinet now has new ground braid installed and replaced the majority of cab specific parts. Getting excited to see what Alex has come up with for the P O W D E R and at least I will be ready to install when it is done (no rush BTW).

Ignore the fingerprints and dust in the cab >>I had not vacuumed it out after installing stuff.

I am still having lots of fun so that is good. P2052184.JPGP2052184.JPG

#63 11 years ago

Oh yes, forgot to mention that as you can see I also installed the beefed up leg brackets. They are very nice! I will use them for every project like this going forward.

#64 11 years ago

Looking good Hilton! Keep up the good work. Can't wait to Rock the Boat!!

#65 11 years ago

Great game. Love this thread, nice work.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Getting excited to see what Alex has come up with for the P O W D E R

I'm excited to see that, as well. Keep it up!

1 week later
#67 11 years ago

Picking away at things slowly. I did not get much done last weekend as I had a buddy in town.

Here is where the topside repopulation currently stands.

P2132197.JPGP2132197.JPG

#68 11 years ago

I bought this tumbler (on the rec of RalphWiggum) and I like it very much. I have been using walnut media from the pet store along with some simple green and it does a real nice job.

P2132203.JPGP2132203.JPG

#69 11 years ago

The past few days I have been working on the mini boat pf and associated parts.

I finally got to try out my third hand rivet tool and it works like a champ.

Drill out the old rivet with a drill bit just big enough to cut away the shoulder from the backside. Use your hand/finger/thumb to hold the top side to keep it from spinning. Go slow as to make sure the plastic does not get too hot (if using the old ramp/plastic). BAM >> old rivet gone.

Clean it all up and reinstall parts on new ramp/plastic.

I also had to cut a new flap for the cross-over spot since the old one was cracked out.

Riveting is very easy>> no need to be intimidated at all.

P2132202.JPGP2132202.JPG P2132198.JPGP2132198.JPG P2132199.JPGP2132199.JPG

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I bought this tumbler (on the rec of RalphWiggum) and I like it very much. I have been using walnut media from the pet store along with some simple green and it does a real nice job.

Glad you like the tumbler... It is aggressive and has the advantage of doing wet and dry media.... It took me burning through 4 vibratory tumblers before I finally saw the light.... FT is looking good!

#71 11 years ago

Crimean (can't spell that if my life depended on it) aren't you done with that restore yet? your almost as slow as that guy doing the Funhouse in Ohio!

#72 11 years ago

Thanks Tim!

SkyPilot >> haven't you even started your FT restoration yet... WTH is taking so long???

#73 11 years ago

Hilton,

I have some insanity afoot for your game. I'm contemplating whether or not to post pics on Monday when they are complete. (Waiting on 1 last piece of powder for you and Rascal, prismatic sent the wrong ones.

Your game is getting 6 different color combinations/variations in the same pallet.

Blues, greens, silvers, yellows, oranges, and hints of blacks.

#74 11 years ago

I can hardly wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just post the pics up in this thread if you want. Then I will post more once installed.

In case some people missed it>> Alex ran a sweet contest for some free powder coating (lockdown, rails, and legs) and my ongoing FT resto job won (plus 2 others games). Then Alex decided to sweeten it even more and do the coin door, hinges, wireforms, shooter reel, and my kitchen sink.

I told him to work his magic and do whatever he wanted to make it look awesome (he is the expert and I trust him). I have NO IDEA what he has come up with, so it is going to be a surprise to us all. I have seriously never won anything in my entire life and this has to be an awesome way to bust that cherry.

Goal is to have everything back together for MGC so as many pinsiders as possible can see what will hopefully be one of the nicest FTs you have seen (thanks in large to Alex).

#75 11 years ago

FT is looking sweet!

How does that rivet tool work? I have been thinking of breaking down and buying one of those for $150 or so, but I doubt that Third Hand one costs that much - does it just clamp down and hold it in place? (Be easy on me, I have never riveted before).

Also- the new metal flap - did you cut that out of the larger sheet?

#76 11 years ago

The Third hand works like a champ. I actually think it is likely better than the bench vise style as the 3rd hand can reach in a bit further on stuff (from my research that is what others have said also.

You just use the T handle and slowly screw down >> enough pressure to roll the rivet and hold it all tight but obviously not to much to break the ramp/plastic.

I bought a large sheet of blue spring sheet metal and just carefully cut, then filed, then sanded to shape. I decided I need some smaller and more accurate tin snips to make nice rounded inside corners. That would mean less file and sand action to clean it up.

#77 11 years ago

OK...

I started to make some decent headway on the bottom side the past few days.

I really LOVE the ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning the light boards. Seriously an awesome tool that does a great job and saves a ton of time while also getting the delicate stuff REALLY clean.

Light boards all moved. All coils (except the 3 pops) and associated brackets cleaned, polished, new coil stickers applied, and moved over.

As it now stands, I have the wire harness ready to be removed and cleaned, which depending on how things go Sunday, may be on the list...

Current pic of the bottom of the old and the new as they currently sit

P2162270.JPGP2162270.JPG P2162271.JPGP2162271.JPG

#78 11 years ago

Since this is my first full job like this, I decided to use a variety of different colored zip ties to assist me in not screwing up when I reattach wires to the appropriate coils and switches.

The idea may help someone else so I figured I would share...

I can imagine that after doing a few, this will not be needed, but for now it gives me a little more piece of mind.

P2162263.JPGP2162263.JPG

#79 11 years ago

pics of the ultra sonic cleaner,please

#80 11 years ago

ultrasonic pic is on page 1, approx 7th post from bottom.

#81 11 years ago

Just want to say I've been following your updates and things look great.

#82 11 years ago

Wow.
A no holds barred restoration.
Looks like its really coming along. I can't wait to see how the powder coating turns out.
And I really like your zip tie idea by the way.

#83 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Hilton,
I have some insanity afoot for your game. I'm contemplating whether or not to post pics on Monday when they are complete. (Waiting on 1 last piece of powder for you and Rascal, prismatic sent the wrong ones.
Your game is getting 6 different color combinations/variations in the same pallet.
Blues, greens, silvers, yellows, oranges, and hints of blacks.

I can't wait to see what you came up with for Creech.

Whysnow -Really excellent thread. Awesome work!

#84 11 years ago

Very cool restoration project! My first DMD, and a personal favorite.

Quoted from Whysnow:

No idea, but they are both original pfs. I guess they should have had Raul inspecting this one instead of J. Ramos...

Pretty sure J. Ramos did the inspection on my Fish Tales, too! Cool stuff.

#85 11 years ago

Pretty sure the J120 is burned out on mine as well... Anyone know where to get a replacement for that connector?

I think a poor connection from that one is actually causing my game to reset occasionally.

Sorry for the imposition, not trying to threadjack

#86 11 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Pretty sure the J120 is burned out on mine as well... Anyone know where to get a replacement for that connector?
I think a poor connection from that one is actually causing my game to reset occasionally.
Sorry for the imposition, not trying to threadjack

I have this thread bookmarked >>>

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/burnt-connectors-help

I think that will give you all the info you need for burnt connectors and where to/ how to.

GreatPlains Electronics will have all the parts you need.

#87 11 years ago

I remember when you bought this and i was all like "i'll take that after you shop it out"

Now that i see all you've done to it I'm like "I'll buy that when you're done restoring it".

It's looking good!

#88 11 years ago

Does the growing nose emoticon mean that you are no longer interested in it when/if the time comes?

#89 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Does the growing nose emoticon mean that you are no longer interested in it when/if the time comes?

I am interested but it is not a 100% lead pipe lock like it was when it was "just" a shop-out/refurb. I'm not complaining and i'm sure you have guys willing to buy it right now even though you aren't even sure it's leaving. It's looking good, keep up the good work.

#90 11 years ago

As I originally promised to you >> IF I ever sell it you have first right of refusal. I will let you know that with all the work I am putting in to it, the "if" is getting much bigger.

I also have likely put more $ into this than what it will ever be worth to you...

#91 11 years ago

Im thinking your going to want to keep it and enjoy it a while. When i started my FH I first intended to just restore it and sell it. Now that its getting close to completion ,I'm not sure I could part with it.

#92 11 years ago

love it Hilton! Add me to the list of possible future owners, but I think you should definitely enjoy it for a while when its done. I better not see a 'for sale' sign on it at MGC!

#93 11 years ago

The only for sale sign on it at MGC will be something to the effect of >>>

"Not for sale, but accpeting insanely high offers. Please sumbit offer via picture message and include a naked picture of your hot wife/gf for consideration"

I will be sure to post any offers to this thread after MGC

In all honesty I have no intentions of selling it any time in the near future and when I do, I will be submitting a large donation to the charity of Alex's choice in order to say a huge thanks for what is likely going to be some sick
P O W D E R

It is honestly because of winning Alex's contest that I am pushing myself to go furtehr and learn more than I ever would have if I had not won. That alone is pretty cool IMHO.

#94 11 years ago

Hilton that's awesome! I will let you choose the charity. I've always been a proponent of st. Jude. Or any other charity that helps children

#95 11 years ago

First time seeing this thread. Love all the detail and pics. Thanks for sharing Hilton!

#96 11 years ago

I can't wait to see/play this at MGC!!!

I'm restoring my Whirlwind, and once I get my CPR playfield I'll be doing the swap.

Question: I know you are using the colored zip ties to mark the coils, etc, but how are you keeping track of where to resolder the wires?

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from gjbwalker:

how are you keeping track of where to resolder the wires?

Other than digital photos, the wiring schematics from Williams do a fantastic job of explaining where everything goes....

#98 11 years ago

Yeah, I will be relying on the schematic to help when needed.

For the most part lots of high res pics, zip ties, and the general shape of the wiring harness will make most of it pretty straight forward I think.

I will know more in a few days...

#99 11 years ago

Thanks guys. I guess I need to brush up on my schematic reading skills, and take lots of pictures.

#100 11 years ago

OK, so I will admit that this is a slightly scary picture.

It also feels really good!!!!

Spaghetti and old PF depopulated.

P2182274.JPGP2182274.JPG P2182275.JPGP2182275.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Minneapolis, MN
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
12,500 (OBO)
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not-an-ongoing-fish-tales-restoration/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.