Topic Stats

• 207 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Whysnow
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 75 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P3182329.JPG
P3182327.JPG
P3182324.JPG
P3162321.JPG
P3162317.JPG
P3162316.JPG
P3142316.JPG
P3142313.JPG
P3112310.JPG
P3112308.JPG
P3092306.JPG
P3092309.JPG
P3092316.JPG
P3092305.JPG
P3072323.JPG
P3072322.JPG

There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

I am finally starting to really dig into my first full on restoration on a dirty routed beater FT.
I figured some may enjoy following along in the adventure, so I am starting a thread to journal the process as I go.

It is worth mentioning that I work at the pace of a snail so you can expect this to take a while. It is also worth mentioning that this is the first major pinball project I will be undertaking so please be patient with my process. I am really bad at taking photos but promise to make a solid effort to do so while working on specific things.

Lets start off with some photos of where it all began.

I purchased the game for $1200 last summer and I knew full on that it was going to be a challenging project.
The good > cabinet is pretty decent and it spent the entirety of its routed life in a basement of a bar. It appears to have almost zero fade. The few scuffs and dings on the backbox will get touched up with acrylics when I am feeling artsy someday.

The bad > pretty much everything else! The PF is toast, the GI was burnt out, and she is a dirty girl.

P1132007.JPG P1132008.JPG P1132009.JPG P1132010.JPG

#2 6 years ago

a nice toasty J120

P1132017.JPG P1202040.JPG

#3 6 years ago

and overall I am pretty sure she has NEVER been cleaned.

P1202025.JPG P1202029.JPG P1202030.JPG P1202026.JPG

#4 6 years ago

Worth mentioning >> if any of you with more experience see something that should be brought to my attention or have any tips as I go, then please feel free to share!

#6 6 years ago

Cool, I'm always up fer sum learnin'... and pics are good as well
good luck with it, can't wait too see the progress.

#7 6 years ago

The current playfield has the typical fish insert damage.

P1202027.JPG P1202028.JPG

#8 6 years ago

...but luckily I found and purchased ($450) a nice example of an original PF from a great pinsider that I think was being used as wall art?

It needed a few touchups which I did a few months ago (added a few minor embelishments) and then had it clearcoated by another great pinsider (SSbodyman). He does great work and has very reasonable prices.

It has now been a few months since the CCoat was shot so it has had time to cure.

Some eye candy pics of the new pf.

P1202031.JPG P1202032.JPG P1202033.JPG

#9 6 years ago

Doesn't look that bad to me.. especially for 1200. Repin one connector, bust out the vacuum, maybe put insert decals on the fish if you feel like it... assuming everything else works?

Not a lot of fade on there that I can tell, which is unusual for FT, and the backbox lightboard looks like it's clean...

#10 6 years ago

Why's the Autocast insert red on one and green on the otheR?

#11 6 years ago

Over the weekend I spent some time cleaning up the outside of the cabinet and replacing the broken topper cover.

I also just got the pf wrestled out of the cabinet and set it in my rotissere so I can start disassembling, cleaning, and replacing.

I have also decided that I am going to LED the game so I need to put in an order with cointaker so I can upgrade the bulbs while I go.

P1202039.JPG P1202039_(2).JPG

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

No idea, but they are both original pfs. I guess they should have had Raul inspecting this one instead of J. Ramos...

#13 6 years ago

Good luck - should look great when done.

One of my favourite games. So addictive.

#14 6 years ago

I wish my cab looked like yours.

#15 6 years ago

great job so far. i'm glad there are people still out there like us that restore old Williams/bally machines

#16 6 years ago

The insert changed colors during the production run. One is earlier than the other.

#17 6 years ago

Looking good. Been working slowly on mine for over a year. I'll be following along!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

The insert changed colors during the production run. One is earlier than the other.

yup, the older pf (red) is from Aug 92 and the new pf (green) is from Nov 92.

#19 6 years ago

I always enjoy these neat facts.

#20 6 years ago

How much did you give for the topper dome? $60 is kind of silly for a piece of plastic...

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

How much did you give for the topper dome? $60 is kind of silly for a piece of plastic...

then call me silly I suppose.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Ours has a green insert, while a junk one on route near us has a red insert.

#23 6 years ago

Doesn't look bad at all, going to be a real nice game when you get it completed.

#24 6 years ago

Added to my favorites. Thanks whysnow maybe I'll get to mine before you finish. I wish

#25 6 years ago

Wow, cab is nice looking for a FT. Looks like fun!

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

What do you want him to do, go to Home Depot and ask them to make him one?

I'm just glad there are replacements available...

#27 6 years ago

I just picked up a FT and could really use a playfield, I hear CPR is going to do a run in a couple of years. I look forward to your thread!

Chris

#28 6 years ago

No, just interested in the prices they're asking now.

1 week later
#29 6 years ago

Time for an update.

Cabinet has been completely depopulated.

Rails, hinges, shooter reel handle, coin door, lockdown bar, all wireforms, and new legs have all been sent to Alex (hopefully arrived today?)

I sanded, primed, sanded, and 2 top coated the inside of the cabinet. 100% semi-gloss rustoleum black. It is almost a perfect match to the original color used from the factory.

P1272136.JPG P1292138.JPG P1292137.JPG

#30 6 years ago

pile of metal and the paint used in case anyone is interested

P1242122.JPG P1292140.JPG

#31 6 years ago

It was pretty easy to use a brand new/sharp 3 inch putty knife to remove the side rails. I just carefully shoved the putty knife between the cab and the rail. I went 3 inches at a time and cut my way through the 2 sided tape making sure to not get into the cab.

There was quite a bit of tape left on the side of the cab, but I was able to remove most of it by hand and with a plastic razor blade. I then used goo-gone to clean up any remaining residue.

For painting. I masked off the entire outside of the cabinet with paper and painters tape to protect from any overspray. The decals on this game are actually pretty good and not very faded. I personally prefer original cab graphics to the repro stuff, even when the originals are decals. I will touch up the small dings and scuffs on the outside of the cab at a later time.

Rattle can spray is pretty easy. Take your time and do multiple thinner coats to avoid any runs.

I think it turned out pretty good.

I will let it cure for a few days and by then hopefully my new ground braid will arrive with a few other parts.

#32 6 years ago

Looking good!!!

#33 6 years ago

I love the black painted floor,it really seems to be catching on as I see it more and more.

Jim

#34 6 years ago

Good job so far! I'll be following as well. Looks like it was in pretty good shape to start too. It'll look great when you're done.

Mike.

#35 6 years ago

Everything got here today. Waiting on some powder from prismatic. Soon as it get here yours and rascals machines get sprayed

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Everything got here today. Waiting on some powder from prismatic. Soon as it get here yours and rascals machines get sprayed

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#37 6 years ago

Enjoying your thread. Glad I waited, excited about CPR doing new PF . Can wait to see what Alex comes up with for colors. Keep it up

#38 6 years ago

I'm glad to hear CPR will be making new PF's. Mine will be ready for it in about 2 years.

#39 6 years ago

looks great so far. i love fishtales!

#40 6 years ago

Time for an update.

I have been busy today mainly touching up the outside of the cabinet where there were a few scuffs.
Sorry I do not have a better before pic, but you get the idea. Mainly one big scuff on the left side.

I have gotten much better at color matching now and am pretty happy with the results. The camera picks up the touchup much more than in person.

P1132009.JPG P2022146.JPG P2022151.JPG

#41 6 years ago

also did some touch up around the spots where the legs had made some indents and tore through the art.

P2022149.JPG

#42 6 years ago

I am still waiting on some parts from pinrestore (mainly the ground braid) so I was unable to reassemble the cabinet. Oddly USPS decided that in order to ship the package form MI to WI, they needed to go through MA, and NH...

Anyway, in lieu of working on cab reassembly I started to move stuff over from the old PF to the new CC'd PF. I am obviously, cleaning, tumbling, buffing, and replacing parts (as needed) while I go.

I have this ultrasonicator and LOVE it! It makes short work of cleaning stuff that is not too bad. It also seems to help greatly with loosening stuff up prior to going in the tumbler.

P2022153.JPG

#43 6 years ago

I am also loving buffing. There is something very gratifying about taking something all nasty with grime and ball trails and BAM >> looks better than new.

P2022141.JPG P2022143.JPG P2022145.JPG

#44 6 years ago

I picked up my buffer from Harbor Freight and it seems to work just fine.

I use a sissel (sp?) wheel on one side with mainly the green compound to cut. I use a loose wheel on the other side with white to polish. So far, so good.

P2022152.JPG

#45 6 years ago

Looking great! Nice results on the ball guides.

Hey that's the same buffer I have

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from nutshell79:

Looking great! Nice results on the ball guides.
Hey that's the same buffer I have

Got it based on your rec..

I like it! Does the job and was pretty damn cheap!

#47 6 years ago

Awesome job so far!

#48 6 years ago

Keep the pics and info coming. Love theses type of threads!

#49 6 years ago

Looking good! Keep on coming with the updates! Going to be one awesome Fishtales when you're done!

#50 6 years ago

Glad a few people are getting something out of the thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Statesboro, GA
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside