(Topic ID: 178803)

Why Not? A Viking Restoration (almost done)

By Whysnow

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 217 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MikeS
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
P3260248 (resized).JPG
P3260243 (resized).JPG
P3260240 (resized).JPG
P3260247 (resized).JPG
P3260249 (resized).JPG
P3260244 (resized).JPG
P3260234 (resized).JPG
P3260246 (resized).JPG
P3260245 (resized).JPG
P3260238 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
P3110285 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpeg
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 7 years ago

I could really use some help at this stage. I want all new backbox info cards (see photos)

The old ones are beat up and yellowed. I am hoping someone has these already made (even if not for Viking but a similar era Bally as the files would be easier to modify than starting form scratch)

Anyone have any ideas or assistance?

P2120223 (resized).JPGP2120223 (resized).JPG

P2120226 (resized).JPGP2120226 (resized).JPG

P2120227 (resized).JPGP2120227 (resized).JPG

P2120219 (resized).JPGP2120219 (resized).JPG

P2120225 (resized).JPGP2120225 (resized).JPG

#152 7 years ago

Some of those are definitely at pinballrebel. Go to the backbox cards section... Some are missing...

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Backbox_cards.htm

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Some of those are definitely at pinballrebel. Go to the backbox cards section... Some are missing...
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Backbox_cards.htm

AWESOME!

I looked all over that website!

Any idea on if I can message the owner of that sight and send them scans of the missing cards/ will they use them to remake new ones?

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

spinner decals? If so, I have a few left.

Can you save a set for me when you stop over in a few weeks?

#155 7 years ago

Will do mark

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

AWESOME!
I looked all over that website!
Any idea on if I can message the owner of that sight and send them scans of the missing cards/ will they use them to remake new ones?

I think you can send them in to Peter (different guy than the one that runs that site I believe). The info/email is on the front page.

http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

If it doesn't have to look vector perfect, I've had success using the color select tool in GIMP (or photoshop) to fill the text pure black, and then make the yellow background back to white. It's relatively quick with minimal additional touchups, and at print resolution looks OK. For example...

self test inside color 300dpi (resized).jpgself test inside color 300dpi (resized).jpg
becomes...
self test inside color 300dpi corrected (resized).jpgself test inside color 300dpi corrected (resized).jpg

#157 7 years ago

Thanks. That looks great!

I have zero computer skills unfortunately and don't have gimp or photo shop.

#158 7 years ago

Most of the Bally cards are the same, take a look st similar games for the cards

#159 7 years ago

Whysnow,
I too have been working on a Viking restoration for a while. Please...... I need a set of the spinner decals. Please,please!!
Take a look at the worn out spinner. I can't put it on this playfield.

IMG_0110.JPGIMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0111.JPGIMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0112.JPGIMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPGIMG_0113.JPG

#160 7 years ago

That is one sweet playfield!!

#161 7 years ago

One hell of a job man.... very awesome.

#162 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

Whysnow,
I too have been working on a Viking restoration for a while. Please...... I need a set of the spinner decals. Please,please!!
Take a look at the worn out spinner. I can't put it on this playfield.

always a 1 upper in the group.

Must have been nice to have an already drilled and dimpled pf.

Please refrain from posting photos in this thread of your Viking restoration. The entire point was to document a single restoration.

#163 7 years ago

Milton go to http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/ and scroll down you will see all the back box cards for Viking! If there are cards not on the site you can scan them and send them to Peter and he will make them and put them on that site for you to download! If you go to a local print place (i.e. Kinkos, FedEx etc.) just tell them you want them printed out on cardstock paper and cut to size! They will look exactly like what you have but new of course!

This is what I did for my BOPP when I restored it!

BackboxInside (resized).JPGBackboxInside (resized).JPG

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Milton go to http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/ and scroll down you will see all the back box cards for Viking! If there are cards not on the site you can scan them and send them to Peter and he will make them and put them on that site for you to download! If you go to a local print place (i.e. Kinkos, FedEx etc.) just tell them you want them printed out on cardstock paper and cut to size! They will look exactly like what you have but new of course!
This is what I did for my BOPP when I restored it!

thanks for the tip.
It is Hilton BTW. Milton is Clay's pet name for me. I cant tell you why he gave it to me, but I can tell you he cried at the end of the ordeal.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks for the tip.
It is Hilton BTW. Milton is Clay's pet name for me. I cant tell you why he gave it to me, but I can tell you he cried at the end of the ordeal.

Apologies Hilton as I know it's Hilton just fat fingered it!! Honestly I didn't know Clay called you Milton!!

Printing them out on the cardstock is cheap and the fact that they (I went to a FedEx print place) cut mine all to size was nice. Unless you have a paper cutter you'll probably wont be able to to cut them with scissors without them looking like some second graded did them!

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Apologies Hilton as I know it's Hilton just fat fingered it!! Honestly I didn't know Clay called you Milton!!
Printing them out on the cardstock is cheap and the fact that they (I went to a FedEx print place) cut mine all to size was nice. Unless you have a paper cutter you'll probably wont be able to to cut them with scissors without them looking like some second graded did them!

thanks

Yeah we have one of those Fedex/kinkos places just around the corner. cheers

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

always a 1 upper in the group.
Must have been nice to have an already drilled and dimpled pf.
Please refrain from posting photos in this thread of your Viking restoration. The entire point was to document a single restoration.

Are we a little touchy this morning? Have you had your coffee yet? The guy politely asks for spinner decals, posts a couple pics and you pretty much tell him to F off??

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Are we a little touchy this morning? Have you had your coffee yet? The guy politely asks for spinner decals, posts a couple pics and you pretty much tell him to F off??

nope, not touchy at all.

I make these restoration threads as a way to document my restoration and share with others (hopefully they learn from what I do and also my mistakes so we all get better as we go). I see no reason for anyone to come blast multiple pics in here of their restoration. Comes off as a 1-upper to me. There is a time and a place. This thread is not the place to start posting multiple photos of other Viking restorations. I am proud of the work I do and even though I have more to learn, I dont appreciate someone coming in my thread to show off how much nicer their restoration looks.

The user could have simply posted a single photo of his spinner or not even posted at all and instead just send me a message to request new decals.

I hope you can see the difference Bryan.

#169 7 years ago

My sincere apologies. I didn't mean to come off that way at all. I know how brutal it is to find parts for the restoration. The only reason for the pics was to show that I had need for the decals and wasn't someone that just wanted a free set for a resto later on. If we are still good.... I will send you my info. Thanks for your help.

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

My sincere apologies. I didn't mean to come off that way at all. I know how brutal it is to find parts for the restoration. The only reason for the pics was to show that I had need for the decals and wasn't someone that just wanted a free set for a resto later on. If we are still good.... I will send you my info. Thanks for your help.

any guy that puts that much work into a Viking is all good in my book!

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I hope you can see the difference Bryan.

Sorry, man, but I don't. I didn't see his post that way at all.

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Sorry, man, but I don't. I didn't see his post that way at all.

that is the goofy thing about using only text as communication. Intent is hard to read.

Either way, this issue is over and the poster appologized/clarified their intent.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

that is the goofy thing about using only text as communication. Intent is hard to read.
Either way, this issue is over and the poster appologized/clarified their intent.

That's cool. I'll go mind my own business now.

#174 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The entire point was to document a single restoration.

I know the feeling, but still -- lol.
-mof

#175 7 years ago

Making headway on cabinent prep and base coat.

Sorry, not a whole lot of picture taking at this stage. Mainly because the garage area for prep gets super dusty so i leave the camera inside and the paint booth I made means there is paint so again camera stays inside. I work and then dont document.

Lessons learned in cab work thus far.

1. It is nearly impossible to get a perfectly prepped and super smooth cab with wood grain gone. I have prepped and sanded back 3 x now as I have not been happy once I get the first coat of base on and realize I need more bondo/glaze.

I think I am finally there and have a decent 1st coat of base on and just waiting 2 days before the enxt coat.

2. Rattle can REALLY does require atleast 48hrs between coats to recoat/top coat. I learned this the hard way and tried to shoot a final top coat on the light board after ~30 hours. It turned to major crackle finish and meant I needed to sand all the way back down to wood and start over. What a mess!!! I am now waiting over 48hrs between coats on everything.

Luckily I have the light board done now and will be able to start on reassembly on it in the next day or 2, which is nice as it gives me things to do while waiting on cab coats to dry out.

Picked up powder stuff yesterday. Looks nice. It is not the exact look I was striving for, but that is the risk of trying out a new powdercoat/local guy. He does nice work and is well priced but he is not really an artist and more of a get it done guy. I will use him in the future for standard stuff, but nothing I want to get crazy with. I will continue the hunt for a more artistic guy that is willing to put forth the effort and experiment.

#176 7 years ago

light board start

P2120206 (resized).JPGP2120206 (resized).JPG

#177 7 years ago

stripped, painted (6 coats cause it crinkled after #3 due to not enough time between coats so I sanded down and started over.)

My mistake... learn from it when you do one

All new sockets. Ground braid swapped out and man I really like it better this way.

so bright and white!

P2210230 (resized).JPGP2210230 (resized).JPG

#178 7 years ago

I often draw silly little maps just to make stuff easier for me to put back together without having to look at photos.

here is an example

P2210232 (resized).JPGP2210232 (resized).JPG

#179 7 years ago

Just got done putting what should be the final base coat on the cab (fingers crossed).

I will be waiting 4 days not before the next coat goes down (cant risk crinkle when spraying the cab since decals form pinball pimp are 1 time use)

Here is the cab design I am shooting towards. It wont be exact but you get the idea.

Among car buddies we would call this 'murdering' out the game.

royal (resized).jpgroyal (resized).jpg

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

stripped, painted (6 coats cause it crinkled after #3 due to not enough time between coats so I sanded down and started over.)
My mistake... learn from it when you do one
All new sockets. Ground braid swapped out and man I really like it better this way.
so bright and white!

I think the mistake you made was waiting a couple of days between paint coats. Once I've got something primed, I'll wait a couple days to sand. Once I paint, it's three coats all about 5 minutes apart. The first two are relatively light with the last one being a bit heavier to get perfect coverage.

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think the mistake you made was waiting a couple of days between paint coats. Once I've got something primed, I'll wait a couple days to sand. Once I paint, it's three coats all about 5 minutes apart. The first two are relatively light with the last one being a bit heavier to get perfect coverage.

Thanks for the tip. The issue I had with the light board is the paint just kept soaking into the grain of the plywood. I did like you said with 2 light and then one heavy. Then 2 days later i put on a top coat to try and cover the remaining grain effect/seapage (can said to either top coat 10-60 min or 48 hours later) and that is when I got the crinkle. Sanded down the crinkle after 2 more days, then waited another day and did 2 top coats to finally get where I was happy.

How long to you wait between layers on a stencil job?
I finished the last base coat today and am thinking 4 days minimum before I stencil and do the red.

Do you put on the stencil and then light and (220?) the area that will be getting paint to help give it some traction?

thanks for any tips!

#182 7 years ago

Use Scotchbrite pads to scuff the areas getting painted. Clean and use a tack rag . Since you are going over black base you will want to put down some white or light gray before your stencil colors , orange will not cover black very well.

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Use Scotchbrite pads to scuff the areas getting painted. Clean and use a tack rag . Since you are going over black base you will want to put down some white or light gray before your stencil colors , orange will not cover black very well.

thanks doug.

Should I use a grey primer over the black as a base before the red (that will be the next color)?

Just to make sure I have this right:
1. Let base dry for a while (I am planning 4 days)
2. Apply stencil and pull mask
3. Scotchbrite the areas to be painted (which specific color/pad is best?) and tack clotch
4. Spray a light colored base and let dry for ??? min
5. Spray a couple light coats of red and then a heavier top coat and let set for ??? min
6. pull stencil

Curious on the timing of things as the pinball pimp instructions seems t show the quicker you pull stencil post spray, then better

#184 7 years ago

If you plan on clear coating the cabinet you can scuff the whole thing before stenciling . If not just scuff the areas getting stenciled after the stencil is applied . Use a gray scotchbrite . Gray or white paint , and go right over with the orange or red . Times will vary based on the paint you are using and the conditions they are used in . Colder temp means more time between coats . But typically it is 5 -10 minutes between coats , light coats remember. Heavy coats will resault in the crackle that you have had problems with already . After last coat 5 -10 minutes remove stencil .

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

If you plan on clear coating the cabinet you can scuff the whole thing before stenciling . If not just scuff the areas getting stenciled after the stencil is applied . Use a gray scotchbrite . Gray or white paint , and go right over with the orange or red . Times will vary based on the paint you are using and the conditions they are used in . Colder temp means more time between coats . But typically it is 5 -10 minutes between coats , light coats remember. Heavy coats will resault in the crackle that you have had problems with already . After last coat 5 -10 minutes remove stencil .

thanks Doug! I really appreciate the tips!

#186 7 years ago

Surprised not to get any comments about my non-traditional color combination.

Maybe everyone hates it but under the threat of the purge everyone is being nice and just not saying anything?

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Surprised not to get any comments about my non-traditional color combination.
Maybe everyone hates it but under the threat of the purge everyone is being nice and just not saying anything?

I love your colors! it's not like you are permanently modifying a king kong or a kingpin!

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I love your colors! it's not like you are permanently modifying a king kong or a kingpin!

I like the color choice in the mock up as well . Game is already modified with a cabinet repaint , it is no longer original ,might as well do it in colors that better suit your taste . It can always be redone in original colors , no harm done here at all with a color change .

#189 7 years ago

coin door mostly back together

P2250252 (resized).JPGP2250252 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#190 7 years ago

a bit of a delay in your regular scheduled program while I let the base cab dry a bit more and I was a bit busy with Aliens this past week.

Got around to the first stencil layer today.

Not perfect but also not too shabby for my first attempt at this.

I will now let this dry till next weekend before the final stencil layer is done.

P3050281 (resized).JPGP3050281 (resized).JPG

#191 7 years ago

looking for advice from those with experience...

will purple cover the red? or do I need to laydown more grey primer before doing the purple last coat?

also, should I lightly knock down the edges on the red before doing the purple? What is best method to safely knock down? I assume this would also then require a top clear coat after all done with colors; tips on top coat to use?

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

looking for advice from those with experience...
will purple cover the red? or do I need to laydown more grey primer before doing the purple last coat?
also, should I lightly knock down the edges on the red before doing the purple? What is best method to safely knock down? I assume this would also then require a top clear coat after all done with colors; tips on top coat to use?

any advice form those with more knowledge than I?

#193 7 years ago

Yes knock down your edges , as long as you are going over it get the edges down as far as you can ,500 sandpaper or try the scotchbrite pad to knock it down a little.Purple should cover red , but it looks like some purple goes over black as well . I would probably put down a little gray first over everything getting stenciled just to have consistant color over the 2 different colors .

#194 7 years ago

As far as final coat goes I have only used automotive clear , but if you want to get it completely flat you will have to clear sand flat and clear again . And maybe repeat this one more time depending on how built up your stencil colors are . If using spray can clear just use something from the same manufacturer as the colors you used .make sure colors are completely dry and all surface scuffed before applying any clear .

#195 7 years ago

Depends on your paint! I use Ironlak and Molotow and they both cover without primer.

August_07__2016_at_0247PM (resized).jpegAugust_07__2016_at_0247PM (resized).jpeg

09dbd140ee0c0e7ab88b308dbe50246fdc3ff90b.jpeg (resized).jpg09dbd140ee0c0e7ab88b308dbe50246fdc3ff90b.jpeg (resized).jpg

#196 7 years ago

thanks doug!

thanks eh97ac!

much appreciated

#197 7 years ago

Everybody likes head

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Everybody likes head

What is there not to like?

#199 7 years ago

Lookin" good .

#200 7 years ago

Nice work Hilton. Your Fathom is up next?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sewickley, PA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not-a-viking-restoration/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.