(Topic ID: 335672)

Why not a modern Simpsons pinball machine??

By rogerdodger

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by vikingerik
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi Guys:

It just crossed my mind that it is around 20 years since TSPP was introduced.

I wonder if an updated Simpsons pinball machine would sell well, with larger screen, up-to-date code and incredible lightshow?

Your thoughts?

Roger

#2 1 year ago

I don’t think Simpson’s is as popular now as it was before…
    A new version of South Park would crush though.

#3 1 year ago

Simpsons already has a real good game that captures them at a great time where they can focus on their peak material (blah blah blah, discussions about what seasons were best).

South Park and Family Guy came out well before they hit their stride (blah blah blah, discussions about what seasons were best. You have to be past your prime before you can make a game that captures it all). Either of those could use a sequel way more than Simpsons needs a trilogy.

#4 1 year ago

People have pretty much cut The Simpsons out of their heart by this point. Like Michael Jackson.
    TSPP was great. Let's move on to new frontiers.

#5 1 year ago

Spooky doing South Park would be fitting.

#6 1 year ago

You mentioned "with up to date code" but Simpsons is already deeper then nearly all modern Stern's. Keith Johnson did an incredible job on its ruleset. Stern would have a difficult time improving on this one.

#7 1 year ago

You mean make it harder and more complicated than it already is? I can't even get past alien invasion let alone get to SDMEWM.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You mentioned "with up to date code" but Simpsons is already deeper then nearly all modern Stern's. Keith Johnson did an incredible job on its ruleset. Stern would have a difficult time improving on this one.

Having never owned one, I just assumed that code was not as good as the pins of today! Clearly, not so!

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

Having never owned one, I just assumed that code was not as good as the pins of today! Clearly, not so!

Yeah Simpsons along with Lord of the Rings from then were easily the deepest games of their time. Both have very deep objective based rulesets that few modern games even touch. I can't believe it's been 20 years since both were released!

#10 1 year ago

The toys and code of TSPP would be hard to top... Especially given the recent trend of "shots as toys," I think a new release Simpsons would have a hard time coming out of the shadow of its early 2000's companion... TSPP holds up against most anything in Sterns catalog.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I agree, TSPP is a great game. Add ColorDMD and there's no need for modern stern lcd.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I agree, TSPP is a great game. Add ColorDMD and there's no need for modern stern lcd.

Yeah for sure. There's still a few things about DMD displays, especially when in color, that come across as better versus today's modern LCD games. Nearly all modern LCD games have sadly gotten away from detailed animations that change as modes are being played. Take LOTR for example and Fellowship of the Ring MB. During that mode you see the characters running across the bridge and other animations unique to that mode. There's really nothing like that with today's modern games, maybe because to make it actually look good on an HD screen would require a ton of work. Instead we just get a basic animation or two and a bunch of "JACKPOT" text flying in and out all over the place on the screen. It's not nearly as engaging or cool to look at as many older DMD animations IMO.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

TSPP is my favorite pin and its under-rated on pinside's top 100. I would love it if it were re-released with all the modern upgrades. The colorDMD is a nice upgrade but it wouldn't hold a candle to what is possible with full video clips from episodes (the kind of thing we see on BM66 and JB007). I also think Stern is printing much higher quality playfields now and that could also be an important upgrade.

I don't think Stern is going to do it, though.

#14 1 year ago

An updated Simpsons pin would suffer from the comparisons
    Neither Black Knight 3 or Elvira 3, have received the love that their predecessors have
    The game would have to be a GOAT or just don't bother

#15 12 months ago

Yeah, TSPP is great enough that it doesn't need improving on. If there's going to be another cartoon pin, give us Futurama already!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-not-a-modern-simpsons-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.