4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by WesleyCowan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th-2.jpeg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    br2.jpg
    beatlesrb.jpg
    DSC03638_2.jpg
    1035x689-aerosmith-1800-1397651110.jpg
    steventyler.png
    pinhead.jpeg
    wall.jpg
    Journey.jpg
    images.png
    th-2.jpeg

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

how about something new... for the new generation?

There just isn't anything new and iconic enough to make a pin out of.

Here are the top 20 artists RIGHT NOW:

_
    Taylor Swift

Meghan Trainor

Sam Smith

Nicki Minaj

Maroon 5

Ed Sheeran

Ariana Grande

Nick Jonas

Big Sean

Rae Sremmurd

Hozier

Pitbull

Iggy Azalea

Mark Ronson

One Direction

Sia

Calvin Harris

The Weekend
    _

Can you name 10 songs from any of the above artists?

In the actual bands above, can you name a single member?
    -

The days of pop music being a "big deal" are fading into the sunset.

I ask my teen cousins what their favorite band is, and they don't even have one. They have artists that they like, but no one they follow or draw their logo on their backpacks.

#102 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kronnix:

And how would a giant Steven Tyler head look on a playfield?

Kind of like an old grandma that still wears puka shell necklaces

steventyler.png
    #103 4 years ago

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps pinball itself has outlived it's own relevance by becoming a hobby of nostalgia, but in doing so it has affirmed it's own death sentence by not trying to appeal to a younger generation. When it finally does fade out for good along with the rest of us, our kids will be left wondering what to do with these contraptions that are monuments to bands and movies that they never heard of and have no reason to have any interest in.

First of all, you make it sound like the only themes Stern uses are nostalgic. You're focusing on the classic rock pin every few years when there are plenty of themes "for the kids". Iron Man, Avengers, Transformers, Avatar, Shrek, Simpsons, WWE, etc....almost every theme they do is multi-generational and current....perfect "younger generation" themes. Are those getting "the kids" to flock to arcades? Of course not, their generation doesn't go out for gaming, they have it in their pocket and at home...and - it's not Stern's job to make the gaming arcade relevant again. They manufacture a specific machine for coin-op locations...they don't run the joints themselves. The arcade days as we remember them are long gone...they're either a time killer at a movie theater or a specific nostalgia journey with barcades and adult-leaning establishments. They could make Taylor Swift Pinball, Lady Gaga Pinball....current artists all day long. "The kids" still won't flock to arcades, and the nostalgic pinball lovers won't buy it.

It's incredible that Stern's been able to stay in business in this post-arcade era, where their machines are relatively irrelevant. If iconic rock bands sell machines, then don't fault them for doing the right thing for their business. New bands won't sell machines or raise awareness with "the kids".

#105 4 years ago

Zep is my favorite band but i can't see a pinball based on it. rush is right up there and so is genesis. can't see any of them being a pinball theme either. I could see floyd though and if done right I would bet it doubles the sales of all the other ones put together. They are more universally accepted and don't have the polarizing effects of an ac/dc or kiss or metallica. Plus their use of dogs howling, flying pigs, crashing fighter planes etc would be really cool. the use of different albums and their related themes would be great to complete for the ruleset. Getting Licensing from roger waters might be tough though.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

there are plenty of themes "for the kids". Iron Man, Avengers, Transformers, Avatar, Shrek, Simpsons,

The most recent one on your list is now three years ago. I'm not even going to mention WWE because as far as I'm concerned you can throw that one in with the nostalgia set. I am going with what has been happening in the industry in general over the last couple years and that is not just Stern. They can all do whatever they want and I am not going to change that. But I also don't have to support it.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Kind of like an old grandma that still wears puka shell necklaces

steventyler.png

For what it's worth... I saw Aerosmith last year Jones Beach Nikon Theater with SLASH and he / they ROCKED! I really hope to see an Aerosmith Pinball machine sometime soon... Or else I'll be Cryin'...
    1035x689-aerosmith-1800-1397651110.jpg

They have their own roller coaster... why not a pinball machine !? I have a feeling it's gonna happen.
    DSC03638_2.jpg

Think about some of the Amazin' hits they had....
    Love in an Elevator
    Rag Doll
    Dude (Looks Like a Lady)
    Janie's Got a Gun
    Cryin'
    Amazing
    Crazy
    Eat the Rich
    Livin' on the Edge
    Dream On
    Same Old Song and Dance
    Sweet Emotion
    Walk This Way

Etc.....

#108 4 years ago

Crazy and Cryin' on a pinball machine? Hell no.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Cryin'
    Amazing
    Crazy

Not so much. I like my rock bands rocking, not whatever the hell these songs are!

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrclean:

Think about some of the Amazin' hits they had....
    Love in an Elevator
    Rag Doll
    Dude (Looks Like a Lady)
    Janie's Got a Gun
    Cryin'
    Amazing
    Crazy
    Eat the Rich
    Livin' on the Edge
    Dream On
    Same Old Song and Dance
    Sweet Emotion
    Walk This Way

Etc.....

Too many syrupy ballads, yuck.

#111 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

They could make Taylor Swift Pinball, Lady Gaga Pinball....current artists all day long. "The kids" still won't flock to arcades, and the nostalgic pinball lovers won't buy it.

Do you have any kids? You make it sound like you really know what they are into. When I listened to AC/DC or Metallica, they were not top 40 bands and even GnR was not the top recording artist of their time although they had become very popular by then. Bringing out names like Lady Gaga just adds to the fact that people like you are totally out of touch what is really going on right now.

#112 4 years ago

I like that "Brutal Legends" idea of combining various hard rock legends together who probably couldn't carry a pin by themselves.

That could really work.

#113 4 years ago

I would be all in for a Led Zeppelin pin from Stern. Also I think Jersey Jack could do an awesome job with a Pink Floyd pin and a psychedelic light show.

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Do you have any kids?

If not, tell your wife I'm currently at stud.

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from beefzap:

No disrespect to those who like Kiss, Metalica , or AC/DC but it would be great to have a music pin that is more shall I say ..... Instrumental ?
    Obviously a matter of taste but.....
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    Beatles
    Grateful Dead (that would be interesting )
    ZZtop
    Oh Well

I think this is mis-stated, it simply sounds more like you don't like the bands with pins. Metallica actually has 100% instrumental songs unlike most of the bands you mention.

#116 4 years ago

Reality is I'm fine with the way things are. Pinball is doing what it must to survive. Would I like it to be different? Maybe. But for each of these themes that I already lived thru decades ago, it is another $6000- $8000 that I am not tempted to spend money on now.

#117 4 years ago

Off the top of my head:

Floyd has whole albums of instrumentals.

Zep has Dick and Black Mountian

Beatles - I have no idea, hate them.

Dead has Cold Rain

ZZtop has Asleep in the Desert

#118 4 years ago

Teenagers can't be reached with pinball. The only market at the moment is 30/40/50+. There could be another market ( young children ) but nobody has yet produced a made for purpose redemption pinball. Now we have large LCD and other tech fun yet very simple machines could be made. It looks safe to say Stern won't be doing this.

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

It looks safe to say Stern won't be doing this.

Stern does one thing, and does it 99% right.

We will see if kids like Multimophic and their video playfield pinball.

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Reality is I'm fine with the way things are. Pinball is doing what it must to survive. Would I like it to be different? Maybe. But for each of these themes that I already lived thru decades ago, it is another $6000- $8000 that I am not tempted to spend money on now.

And you would be tempted with a new band? I call bullshit.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I guess we may never know...

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Too many syrupy ballads, yuck.

ballads by hard rock bands blow. leave that crap to the righteous brothers. where is back in the saddle and last child?

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I call bullshit.

lol forgot about this saying...

#124 4 years ago

Beatles pin would be awesome.
    Rush would be cool, too.

--Luke

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

lol forgot about this saying...

You can throw that one in the nostalgia pile.

#126 4 years ago

Ministry wouldn't be a sleeper...

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Ministry wouldn't be a sleeper...
    » YouTube video

Sign me up. Even the latter death metal vibe stuff isn't the worst for a pin. And oh boy does Al have an interesting life to put into a game

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You can throw that one in the nostalgia pile.

Alrighty Mr. Current-pop-culture-guy....if you were head of Stern Marketing, what would your new band music license be?

#129 4 years ago

I just want a pin that lets me pick my music, kinda the Rockband of pinball. That would be sweet and I would download tonnes of music.

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

if you were head of Stern Marketing, what would your new band music license be?

Iron Maiden

#131 4 years ago

!??!?! Now you're just being silly.

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I just want a pin that lets me pick my music, kinda the Rockband of pinball. That would be sweet and I would download tonnes of music.

That's a great idea!

--Luke

#133 4 years ago

I think they had these generic NFL pinball games but were dogs... I think it would be in Sterns best interest to theme it out and pay homage to one specific band per pin.

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

I think this is mis-stated, it simply sounds more like you don't like the bands with pins. Metallica actually has 100% instrumental songs unlike most of the bands you mention.

Correct......No hate but have no interest in any of these bands. I think the only music that I can think of that I come close to hating is Michael Jackson.

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Local station on the Wisconsin-Illinois border (WIIL, go figure) plays Volbeat somewhat regularly. Several different tunes.

So does Detroit/Windsor......I thought Vid was from around there...?

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I think we are all tempted by any pin.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighNoon:

That's a great idea!
    --Luke

I'm sure a large percentage of the pinball crowd never played Rockband probable not enough interest but they would get my money.

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

I'm sure a large percentage of the pinball crowd never played Rockband probable not enough interest but they would get my money.

I know people always say that doing the Beatles would be impossible due to licensing but what about licensing Beatles Rockband from Harmonix?-I'm assuming Harmonix could work out the details on the Beatles side of things? The artwork/animations on Beatles Rockband are awesome!

https://vimeo.com/6613463

beatlesrb.jpg br2.jpg
    #141 4 years ago

Why not a pin with a mix of music? Call it "Legends of Rock"

Maybe even do a quick re-theme or conversion kit later and call it "Legends of Pop"

#142 4 years ago

There was a study just done that concluded that a vast majority of Men stop listening to new music by age 33. Since most of the pinball collecting crowd is older than 33 it only makes sense to choose classic rock bands for themes vs. anything new. I'm 38 and the vast majority of what I listen to is new music (Alabama Shakes, Father John Misty, Jack White, Strand of Oaks, Sharon Van Etten, Ryan Adams) are a few favorites. I mostly stopped listening to Metallica, ACDC, the Stones and KISS after my high school and college years but agree that they make great pinball themes. I wouldn't want a game designed around the music that I listen too now because it isn't "Iconic" enough to make for a very interesting game.

http://skynetandebert.com/2015/04/22/music-was-better-back-then-when-do-we-stop-keeping-up-with-popular-music/

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/85062

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe even do a quick re-theme or conversion kit later and call it "Legends of Pop"

Most likely licensing costs/issues....see Mustang. Licensed 8 tracks but due to costs cut it to 4 on the Pro. Also I think picking bands who are INTO pinball and like the idea of having their own machine helps the process creatively and financially. Imagine 10+ bands and their agents all arguing about how they're represented and whatnot...it would be a huge pain in the ass.

I'm sure they all agreed to do Rockband and Guitar Hero for the downloadable song $$$$...since we're in the days where albums and physical media don't sell, selling tracks for those games was a huge incentive for bands to participate. Even if a pinball machine had the ability to allow the user to pay for new tracks, we're talking 1000 people vs. millions. Not worth it on their end.

#144 4 years ago

daft punk

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Be hard to license it all together at the same time.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I know people always say that doing the Beatles would be impossible due to licensing but what about licensing Beatles Rockband from Harmonix?-I'm assuming Harmonix could work out the details on the Beatles side of things? The artwork/animations on Beatles Rockband are awesome!
    » Vimeo video

beatlesrb.jpg
    br2.jpg

Couple extra flipper buttons or maybe pads across the front and mini Rockband modes when you lock the ball would be awesome. I'm more of a Green Day man myself but that's the beauty of Rockband you play what you like and the library is pretty vast.

#147 4 years ago

Edited for bad taste

#148 4 years ago

If anyone really wanted Beatles music on a pin, Paul could carefully re-record 10 of his better songs and that way The Witch would not have any say in it.

Sgt. Pepper
    Helter Skelter
    Back in USSR
    Let it be
    Get Back
    Got to get You into my Life
    Bathroom Window
    Penny Lane
    Yesterday

Get Ringo in there with Octopus' Garden and you would have something.

hqdefault.jpg
    #149 4 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Crazy and Cryin' on a pinball machine? Hell no.

someone find that SNL parody they did with Amazing Crying and Crazy and they all sounded exactly the same

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from beefzap:

No disrespect to those who like Kiss, Metalica , or AC/DC but it would be great to have a music pin that is more shall I say ..... Instrumental ?
    Obviously a matter of taste but.....
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    Beatles
    Grateful Dead (that would be interesting )
    ZZtop
    Oh Well

Grateful Dead would be an amazing pin! especially with color changing LEDS! Unfortunately I don't foresee that being a possibility.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 209.99
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 17.99
    Playfield - Decals
    Lermods
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    £ 80.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside